Is anything being done to combat bots?

Fuz

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why aren't these being addressed? this is a pvp oriented game and yet you allow them to cheat over and over. take like 5% dmg and go invis over and over . let their pet die, doesnt matter they just spam flower. u cant hit them so u run outta focus. plz address this like now..

As in hotfix thanks

It seems like bots are increasing instead of decreasing.

With the expansions and the whiners who believe they can't upgrade easily without being credit card heroes the number of bots have exploded.

The sad thing when i report around 50 bots a day I start to notice....the names are the same bots I reported yesterday. and the day before.

Masses of destroyers(5+) and some of them are literally named botdfkjgfkjg and a lot of just keyboard smashing for names.

Bots have always been an issue but in the past couple weeks it seems like they have grown in numbers 20fold. Not just in misty woods but armies of them in silverfrost mountains.

Report bot function in game does not work. It's just there for show and make player feel assured that the bots will be reported and get banned. But sadly, its a no.

Best way is to screenshot and report through support team. But it takes month for them to ban "obvious" bot name. Sometime, honestly, they don't even bother because no matter how much human power they put in to banning these bots. The bot owner will just keep creating new accounts everyday and come back over again. 

The best way to stop them is to come up with the best hack prevention system, but it is impossible since the counter part version of this game in KR,JP,TW,CN can't even do it.

Sad to be so much negative here, but there's nothing they can do. BnS is doomed. The game is slowly dying, it's just a matter of time that the game will be dead when bots have totally taken over. 

Well, it's still come down to how long those credit card heroes willing to swipe. But, they will eventually quit when the majority of F2P players decreased/left. Doesn't matter how much money they have, fully gear they are, whatsoever. Nobody want to play with a dead game with no f2p players anyway. Because there's simply no one for them to show their OP/rich gear to ;)

On 17/04/2016 at 0:45 AM, Yamyatos said:

NCSoft west does have an own developer team too. Not every change has to be done in the korean "main" version. Our programmers mainly do the cash shop and other little things, but also optimisation. As they once said in a stream: each version of the game needs its own optimisation. Optimisation, btw, includes coding. 

It is true tho that all content and most structural updates will come from korean developers.

the point here is mainly if it messes with root coding wich cant be messed with. they can only use their dev team up to some extent and any change thats intended(that has nothing to do with optimization/ncoin market) has to be reported and asked for authorization from the original devs.

in this particular case i dont think it would be an issue though since its more like a switch on/off(because kick members is already implemented)

Due to suggestion of GM asking me to do this:

Dear NCSoft...

Bots are ruining this game. For real. I mean I have maybe... 20+ Reports of bots every single day. Sometimes within an hour. This issue is serious and I think it needs to be handled head on as soon as possible.

I have a few proposals that maybe you can throw around the idea at your office and maybe bring it up to the NCSoft team.

Proposal #1: Player Moderation

Seeing players are doing most of the reporting, they are pretty much your bot watch. With the player moderator system, you can introduce loyal and respected players to join voluntarily under NCSofts support in-game. They can be there to assist in following of rules, as well as destroying bots as they see them, as it is very obvious to tell what is a bot, and what isn't. This system is great over-all, because players can see the support in-game and ask questions, or get support without having to go through ncsoft's ticket system if it's something low-end.

Proposal #2: Ban over time with names with random unlikely characters.

This system will detect whether or not players are bots simply by seeing their character name. If their character name is considered to be spam, and their character has been created to default settings, this will make it so bots are now in a high-risk area, where if they continue bot-like play styles, they will be banned automatically.

Proposal #3. Auto ban on actual bots.

If you look closely at the bots in blade & soul, they ALWAYS share the same path as the other bots. With this path finding style, you can detect what are bots just by the way they are moving. if they follow the same path all the time, it's very clear to find who are running bots just by seeing who is following that path in-game to almost 100%.

Proposal #4. Client detecting custom UI over-lays.

I did some research on what these bots are, and from what I found in my research is that they are over-lays on top of the game. if the client uses software to detect custom UI's injected into the game, or on-top of the game, it could be very easy to detect bots. RuneScape uses this system as well, which they have been very successful in destroying bots over the years now. They said that people where using "reflection bots" which im assuming, this is the case here as well. (no i didn't download or test any software, I just looked at pictures of how people was displaying how it worked so please don't ban me for looking up information on BNS bots to try to help get rid of them >.>...)

Please forward this around as this is a huge issue, and just using the report bot system is clearly NOT working as well as intended. I'd like to give my full effort in helping in this situation, if at all possible.

[From also my research, some of these bots and software for hacking is coming from [WEBSITE BLOCKED OUT], I would recommend looking at some of the software to maybe see what they use to modify the game client, this way you can look into putting blocks up, as they keep submitting hacks and bots there. Some of them even admit to what files are being modified in their hack, so if you can find out what files they are modifying or HOW they are implementing these issues, you can probably knock out the current bots in the process].

ONCE AGAIN I'D LIKE TO CLARIFY I DID NOT DOWNLOAD OR TEST ANY SOFTWARE THAT MAY MODIFY, INJECT, OR PERFORM ABNORMAL ACTIVITY IN THE BLADE & SOUL CLIENT. I HAVE NOT, NOR WILL I EVER USE ANY SOFTWARE TO MODIFY THE GAME EXPERIENCE ILLEGALLY. I STATE THAT I HAVE ONLY DONE RESEARCH AS FAR AS LOOKING AT PICTURES, READING ARTICLES, AND FORUMS TO FIND OUT THE INFORMATION I PROVIDED TO YOU IN THIS EMAIL. PLEASE DO NOT BAN MY ACCOUNT FOR JUST LOOKING UP INFORMATION TO HELP BENEFIT NCSOFT'S COMPANY.

Thank you.

[Copied and pasted from email to NCSoft]

Are you ready for this? The most easy solution from a programmer/design standpoint.

*Solution*

CAPTCHA. After 5 reports a captcha appears on screen for 1min, if it is solved then the program does not allow you to be "tried" for ~12 hours, if you fail it's a temporary ban

*Complications with this*

1) Player Abuse: One clan doesn't like another so they captcha the other's members every chance they get.(this can be countered by a low ban time*a few hours* and can also easily be appealed via ticket and offending players logged punished *punishment can be after a certain amount of offenses*)

2)AFK while captcha is called: What if you're afk and a player abuses it on you?  (Make captcha input time a little longer than afk kicker meaning you physically cant be captcha banned afk)

3)ONLY 5 REPORTS!? (Yes and 12 hour immunity from further disturbances, as mean as players can be this system would be far too tedious to abuse, the report requirement can easily be raised but more reports need = takes longer to get bot banned)

4)Bots detect captcha: What if the bot knows it's being captcha'd and logs off/disconnects and reconnects to avoid punishment? (This is the most difficult in terms of design and programming, however, it is the same on the other end. Bots don't have eyes, and a program to detect it would be a huge project)

5)Bots inject/hack packets to bypass/detect captcha: (Make the captcha server-sided in the same sense that the marketplace is server-sided)

6)What if people make accounts for the sole purpose to abuse this system? (Make the level requirements to use the system high *45-50*, only high level players are really affected by bots currently anyways and would be happy to help the game they love)

*Example of an MMO that had a similar system that defeated a bad bot problem*

MapleStory: Currently MapleStory has the same captcha system I proposed but on a much smaller scale in terms of bans (~10-30min ban) but can triggered by 1 player, after being captcha'd they cannot be tried again for a few hours. The implementation of this did not kill the gold selling business, however, flyhacking farmbots and spam bots were entirely defeated. The gold selling had to be from an account manually farming gold or botting in a non-populated area.

**If there are any complications I did not address please add them to the comments and I will revise the design, I will try to submit the suggestion via ticket if I feel that all flaws were touched upon

capcha is not helping at all. I think it should be auto ban after 10 ppl report few times. If it wasn't a bot that person will unban himself in 1-2 days through support. Bots wont do that. If ppl abuse this few times - ban for a week.

The ban after X amount of reports is a bad idea cause people will abuse this on non-bots.

Simple solution - Create a random generated x and y axis number for the pin code number pad (the 6 digits you have to enter). It seems the only way to input the number is with the mouse movement/click. I'm assuming the bot program is told where the numbers are by mathematics. So what if that num pad location is always changing per login and is never the same?

Wouldn't this make it very difficult for bots to login?

Make a prison system. Once you get accused by 300 people, your character gets sent to  a deep underground talus prison and your chi is disrupted like the story mode. You can't escape or teleport anywhere. The GMs will then log on every now and then and execute them or release them depending on if they're really a bot or not. Wrongfully accused people will be compensated with 5 day premium.

7 minutes ago, Hongmoon said:

Make a prison system. Once you get accused by 300 people, your character gets sent to  a deep underground talus prison and your chi is disrupted like the story mode. You can't escape or teleport anywhere. The GMs will then log on every now and then and execute them or release them depending on if they're really a bot or not. Wrongfully accused people will be compensated with 5 day premium.

reminds me of archeage jury system , but i doubt if these guys will introduce this , as the base game is KR , unless change happens on main KR client we wont be seeing it here 

Archived