Anyone think classes are slightly gender stereotyped or aimed at certain genders?

Noellessa

lyn to me:

- positive: i  (we) haVE TO thank NCSoft for creating such race that has no hitboxes problems AS GW2's asuras (which are/were a cancer at release)

- negative: was it SO difficult to NOT allow players to create character and PET so similar that sometimes u can missclick on pet wasting skills (yeah im noob blabla)

. rest, about sexuality and stuff is your business. i am a male and i always create female characters because , as i always state "if i have to lok at someone's ass for 2-4-6 hours a day, let it be a female one"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lorelei said:

I ****-ing love my Destroyer, don't generalize. I love kicking guys in the nuts, grabbing them in a chokehold when they fall down, and then running around with them and punching them in the face before finally piledriving them into the ground. I wish I could do this in real life without needing to take steroids or possibly deal with the inconvenience of being arrested and tried.

EDIT: I should note, I am a woman

Funny, if I as a man said the very same things you said, only about women, I'd be considered a monster, flamed by every PC Murika on these forums, reported and probably banned by now. Jokingly, or not.

Aren't double standards fun?

11 minutes ago, Yetan said:

This is exactly my point. I'm not including my gender info because I don't think it matters in a video game. And, don't assume my gender just because I play certain class/race.

not according to OP

2 hours ago, Teffy said:

Well I'm not into lyn race at all and nor into the bouncing monster sized chests of some female chars(Gon for example).I like more of a nature type and if possible without ears and tails.I would love to have a lyn but the ears and tail kinda put me off.

Same,it doesn't really matter how they are customized its still not my thing:P

Gons can be 'fixed' at least,mine doesn't have melon torpedo tits nor a giant,tried to make her look somewhat normal.

I think I was clear in that I am asking about whether people think the summoner class was marketed to what is stereotypically a female audience due to the way it is animated/race locked.  I don't care what gender people are as long as they like what they are playing.  Also, in regards to why I put "As a female" it was as a qualifier for my statement and my followup sentence.  True, some men may not like that men make revealing and such characters, but quite a few women don't like it [I don't care, either way] - but I was stating that I understand and don't care how/what way guys make their chars.  Please see it as saying, "While I am female, I see and appreciate the male viewpoint on character creation." Followed by "But, making a summoner, I'm struck that it seems to have been made to attract a female audience".  That's all I am saying, so I don't know why so many guys are getting so defensive when people state they are girls.  And also, read a little up, there are plenty of guys on here who are stating their gender just because that is the topic at hand...whether a class appeals to a certain gender or not.  

I said this when I originally started here, but it still applies. I you're looking for political correctness, look elsewhere.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Asian MMO's for that matter. In these game sex sells, and over sexualized fems are the norm. Don't like it, stop playing it, period. F'n social justice warriors...

Hyung-tae Kim, War of Genesis, Magna Carta, feel free to look those up. Had some of you done so prior to playing you certainly wouldn't of come here expecting PCness. In fact, those very phrases were the very reason why I highly anticipated playing this game years back when I first learned of it.

12 minutes ago, Noellessa said:

I think I was clear in that I am asking about whether people think the summoner class was marketed to what is stereotypically a female audience due to the way it is animated/race locked.  I don't care what gender people are as long as they like what they are playing.  Also, in regards to why I put "As a female" it was as a qualifier for my statement and my followup sentence.  True, some men may not like that men make revealing and such characters, but quite a few women don't like it [I don't care, either way] - but I was stating that I understand and don't care how/what way guys make their chars.  Please see it as saying, "While I am female, I see and appreciate the male viewpoint on character creation." Followed by "But, making a summoner, I'm struck that it seems to have been made to attract a female audience".  That's all I am saying, so I don't know why so many guys are getting so defensive when people state they are girls.  And also, read a little up, there are plenty of guys on here who are stating their gender just because that is the topic at hand...whether a class appeals to a certain gender or not.  

men can have those exact thoughts, so again, how does going out of your way to tell us that you are a girl add any weight to what you said? 

an analogy would be, "as a girl, I like ketchup". why does your gender matter? guys can think that summoners might have been designed for the female gamers too. 

might want to learn how to logic 

5 hours ago, Lorelei said:

Haha, I was actually salty as all balls when I saw that you got "my" name, but I'm over it now. At least it did push me to try and find a more original moniker for future MMOs. I hate the stress of getting up early/staying up late, smashing the login button, trying not to fumble over the keys and stuff, just because the name I prefer to use is really popular because lulzPokemon. (or other reasons, idk)

Tangent aside, it wasn't ani-canceling that killed Des for me, it was stuff like SSP and damage-based credit in general. Also ruined BM for me, which is a shame since I LOVE tanking in most MMOs I play. I was an Amani lancer in TERA, so yeah, I actually tend to like the "bigger, butchier" female races. I was a Roegadyn for a long time in FFXIV, but eventually had to change because the gear and emotes on them were so awkward and looked much better on other races. :/

BF plays LBM as his main and likes it a lot (though he's really feeling the "no SSP/Bay Lee/GSH" crunch), and he is also leveling a Summoner with me and likes it a lot (he thinks the cat pin is hilarious, especially when doing it to huge mobs like Lycan). I think enjoying Summoner is kind of tied into the comedic effect of it sometimes too, not necessarily because it's "cute". You have to not take the class super seriously to enjoy it (see: all the debates about, "can you call a Summoner a 'martial arts master'?"). If you think it's hilarious to bop enemies to death with a giant sunflower laser in the same way I find it hilarious to throw a guy into a pile of other guys and make them all fall down, then you'll probably enjoy Summoner more than Des.

Lol. Lorelei is my sorcerer name for ages, it's a bit of a struggle to get. Irulan is worse though, my choice for healer class name (didn't get it in this game). Glad you're not salty. 

Amani are amazing. My priest went from the elf race to Amani and I was super happy in Tera. 

Melee is rather hard in this game. Lbm is pretty harsh. Bf leveled a Destroyer after lbm and he is always surprised just how much easier life is on destroyer. 

I was miffed to discover just how much easier everything is on warlock versus force master. Night and day. But FM is fun so worth it. 

Summoner is hilarious. I always zoom in to stare at the cat on top of a big Boss lol. 

I don't think classes and races are aimed to conform with one or the other gender. If you read info on the website, it states that each of four races is based on one of four Sacred Beasts (not the in-game Beasts but those Beasts based in Chinese culture). Gon are descendants of Dragon and that's why they are typically strong, muscular and basically everything the Western culture sees as appealing. Jin are descendants of Black Tortoise and are more 'human' than others in a way that their physique is more moderate and conforms to human physiology. Yun are descendants of a Phoenix and are all female, almost elvish in appearance. Lyn are descendants of Kirin, small, mischievous spirit animals and that's why they are all childish and cute. So I don't really believe any race is aimed towards any particular group or gender. You choose what suits you. I, for instance, plan on making a Summoner one day (in the far-away future) and I already know it's going to be a female Summoner simply because this gender appeals more to me as a Summoner.

This game definitely caters very much to different audiences and it does that pretty well (cudos to the designers). As a guy, i certainly don´t mind hot females at all - but it does get a little heavy at times, like an unexpected full force attack when you are new to the game...

I think you see a cultural difference in this game in how females are portrait vs males as the females are more oversexed (i remember having seen a topic calling out for male pectoral and bulge sliders and rightfully so imho). But i think it has to be noted that they installed a somewhat ironic mirroring of the oversexed content with the specific cartoonish look of the characters which i think is a smart way of dealing with this.

There are different modes of character identification happening for different players, i believe. I know people who always play "themselves" or an idealized version of that. Personally, i never ever imagine that the char i play in a (PC) RPG is "me", instead i want to create and experiment with different character personalities and see how they fare in the world - but in the end i am yet creating chars which i like, too. And most of the time i somehow have a softer spot for females... :o

On 4/27/2016 at 9:23 AM, Lorelei said:

I ****-ing love my Destroyer, don't generalize. I love kicking guys in the nuts, grabbing them in a chokehold when they fall down, and then running around with them and punching them in the face before finally piledriving them into the ground. I wish I could do this in real life without needing to take steroids or possibly deal with the inconvenience of being arrested and tried.

EDIT: I should note, I am a woman

Remind me not to *cricket* you off. lol

I think there is something to what the OP is talking about. I remember when I saw a trailer for BnS before Summoner was released, it looks much more badass, but when it actually came out, it was more cutesy. I think, like the OP said, they wanted to market more towards a certain audience to draw them in.

I also think that its probable that the Summoner's original idea was closer to what Warlock is.

Always create a female character (no Lyn please although I got a summoner but not by choice). Reason being? I am a guy and I would rather stare a female character ass than a male.   Also the lyn to me is some undevelope body girls and guys look the same expect the hairstyle @@

On 2016/4/27 at 7:39 PM, Abonde said:

men can have those exact thoughts, so again, how does going out of your way to tell us that you are a girl add any weight to what you said? 

an analogy would be, "as a girl, I like ketchup". why does your gender matter? guys can think that summoners might have been designed for the female gamers too. 

might want to learn how to logic 

LOL. You talk about logic but are yourself fairly ignorant in grasping the point of your conversation partner and simply interpret too much into the message. Maybe you should bolster your general education level before posting again.

Personally, I love Summoners and not only because I'm probably the worst-skilled player in the world. Having a stuffed cat as a pet was a unique idea imho. Lyns are fine for me, yet I only have two for their race-only classes.

From my pov being female, yes I can see that some classes are probably aimed more for a female audience. But, ofc there is nothing wrong with that because tbh these classes appeal to guys too and I suppose it's nice to have the option there to play a slightly 'easier' class if that's what it's made for - if that's what you're into for whatever reason.

Personally, i'm guilty of choosing race before class :P I love Lyn, coming from TERA and solely playing Castanics and Elin, the Lyn is like an Elin made 10x better with soooo much more customization in character creation and animations. The classes available to this race are limited, so I main a LBD as I usually play melee, got pretty far with her and made a few alts albeit very low lvl while I concentrated on her. Then came the WL and for a change I made a Jin, and why not a Lyn? well, i'm also outfit obsessed and I wanted another race to play that wore the outfits differently :D (they look different and so a little more variety!) but tbh I prefer my Lyn, so I lvled a summoner and yes, this class does seem ez mode indeed XD but very fun and cute and now this has become my no.2 to my LBD. Next on the list is my FM, which is a really tall Lyn and i'm excited to get her lvled.

Why do Lyn appeal to me? well, it's mainly the cuteness, I don't see them overly sexualized in this game like in TERA and that's good - I personally see them as a little cretin race of Ewok type creatures and i'd rather play something that isn't human, because, well i'm a human myself and that's pretty boring. That and the nice swooshy bouncy tails and ears and yep i'm sold :3

I just wish there were more classes available to Lyn lol - i'd totally have a Lyn army of characters.

I'm a guy and I always play male characters in any game. I absolutely despise gender locking classes, which is why I'm glad there is no Yun specific class. It only limits the playerbase. For me personally, I tend to play classes that might often be considered gender neutral, or even classes that most people would think a female would play. For example I play a male Songweaver in Aion. Hands down my favorite Aion class and I rock it ;)

If/when(hopefully) NCsoft adds a fan-master class to the game (which might be targeted towards female players), I will most certainly play as a male.

So far BnS is perfect in regards to this. All classes suit their race(s) and any gender and personality. We have a lot of freedom. And of course costumes help a lot too. You can make a cute summoner, or a totally bad-ass summoner. There is no limit if you have a vision for your character.

Besides that, I completely understand why many guys play female characters. Sometimes it's nice to play a character that you're attracted to. I'm a guy and I'm gay. Hence all the characters I make are attractive males lol
If I have the inspiration for it though, I will totally make a sexy female character.

My characters is BnS:
-Gon KFM
-Jin Warlock
-Lyn FM

3 hours ago, Shinsetsu said:

I think there is something to what the OP is talking about. I remember when I saw a trailer for BnS before Summoner was released, it looks much more badass, but when it actually came out, it was more cutesy. I think, like the OP said, they wanted to market more towards a certain audience to draw them in.

I also think that its probable that the Summoner's original idea was closer to what Warlock is.

It's true. That was their goal with changing the concept. I just find it ironic how Lyns ended up getting the Warlock option in the end regardless xD

I'm not sure who, but I when Blade and Soul first showed up, one of the big guys at Korean B&S said they made Summoners specificly targeted the female audience. That's why the Summoners+the cat are cute, and that's why Summoner is an easy class to play, has heals and was a bit OP at start (usually girls don't play as much as guys, so they made the class a bit stronger to help girls PvP).

So ye, the class was made specificly for girls.

PS: Not trying to offend any girls out there with the "easier class", just telling you what I read. I'm sure there are plenty of girls who play this game better than me! ^^

I hate summoners and classes dependent of a pet or summon. As @DomiSotto said, i prefer rangers or healers. Not sure why this time i played a blade master... probably because blade masters/dancers and kung fu masters look more like martial artists to me.

You know, I usually hate classes that are dependant on any kind of a pet also. But, I tried a summoner and in the end, easy to pick up, hard to master. You're controlling your character's and pet's skills. So sure, someone could faceroll easy on one, but to master it is another story. So, kinda liking it.. XD

Thanks for the replies :)  I spoke with some friends in KR and JPN and it seems the posters above are really accurate about how the devs at first had a different, almost warlock like mindset for the Lyn summoner, but then changed it to attract more female gamers.  Even in the clan I'm in, we're over 50% female and almost all of the women are summoners (anecdotal, of course, but still...).  I wish I could find that interview or whatever, but have only managed to find the early concept art of summoners (they look very demonic/warlock like, actually). But anyways, thanks for most of everyone for the discussion and keeping it on topic and civil :)

Archived