Anyone think classes are slightly gender stereotyped or aimed at certain genders?

Noellessa

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Andipandi said:

Because they are a G.I.R.L? lol

Guy In Real Life?

Well I'm not into lyn race at all and nor into the bouncing monster sized chests of some female chars(Gon for example).I like more of a nature type and if possible without ears and tails.I would love to have a lyn but the ears and tail kinda put me off.

It could just be that they chose a flower/nature aesthetic and ran with it.  Don't forget that B&S is a Korean game, where cultural values are far different than here in the US - so for all we know, the cuteness is meant to be generally more appealing to an Asian audience regardless of gender.

Also - just a side comment.  Though a lot of people think "cute" or "childish" when they look at Lyns as a race, it's entirely possible to make a older-looking Lyn that looks serious and a bit miffed at all the poor treatment she receives during the game's story, with a maxed height slider and some tweaks to the face:

cBzDf73.jpg

Lyn also has the bonus of having some of the least stripperific costumes in the game; for instance, white dragon has a boob window on all three of the other female races, though for a Lyn female, it looks quite fashionable and like something that an actual martial artist would wear.  For quite a few of us, that's a major plus for the race.

7 minutes ago, Teffy said:

Guy In Real Life?

Well I'm not into lyn race at all and nor into the bouncing monster sized chests of some female chars(Gon for example).I like more of a nature type and if possible without ears and tails.I would love to have a lyn but the ears and tail kinda put me off.

Yun are VERY nature oriented and you don't have to have giant boobs...sliders sliders

3 minutes ago, Andipandi said:

Yun are VERY nature oriented and you don't have to have giant boobs...sliders sliders

Too elfish and tall for my taste.I like short characters and yun are tallll.My 194cm/6.3 irl doesn't help me much.Would love to be shorter.

4 minutes ago, Teffy said:

Too elfish and tall for my taste.I like short characters and yun are tallll.My 194cm/6.3 irl doesn't help me much.Would love to be shorter.

Put on some ears and a tail and just gfi? Or shrink that Yun?

12 minutes ago, Emerald said:

It could just be that they chose a flower/nature aesthetic and ran with it.  Don't forget that B&S is a Korean game, where cultural values are far different than here in the US - so for all we know, the cuteness is meant to be generally more appealing to an Asian audience regardless of gender.

Also - just a side comment.  Though a lot of people think "cute" or "childish" when they look at Lyns as a race, it's entirely possible to make a older-looking Lyn that looks serious and a bit miffed at all the poor treatment she receives during the game's story, with a maxed height slider and some tweaks to the face:

cBzDf73.jpg

Lyn also has the bonus of having some of the least stripperific costumes in the game; for instance, white dragon has a boob window on all three of the other female races, though for a Lyn female, it looks quite fashionable and like something that an actual martial artist would wear.  For quite a few of us, that's a major plus for the race.

It's still too cartoonish for me. I know, it's anime style game, but I guess, I just like my avatars a little more 'real' looking. The ears and tails themselves are also not quite natural looking. BTW, I loved that quest that made a third-wall joke about it in Lycandi :)

Overall, I think I am looking into playing another race more often. But if a Summoner is the only class I can play (by the obvious reason of my being able to bear children in RL).... I can't get away from a Lyn. Mine is a male, and my kiddo had that idea he is like a fire sprite or something, so I sort of live with it.

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

I ****-ing love my Destroyer, don't generalize. I love kicking guys in the nuts, grabbing them in a chokehold when they fall down, and then running around with them and punching them in the face before finally piledriving them into the ground. I wish I could do this in real life without needing to take steroids or possibly deal with the inconvenience of being arrested and tried.

EDIT: I should note, I am a woman

You tell them. Seeing as my main is Lorelei, I had to reply that the holder of such an amazing name is also bada$$. 

I love destroyer, I hate Ani cancelling unfortunately. So even tho she's my #2 she is on the back burner and I'm working on my Warlock as actual #2. Jin are so the least sexy of them all to me... 

The op is kind of... Sexist. 

I'm female. I like yun/elves in general and am a sorcerer at heart forever. But my first time using an axe in ddo and healing was so exhilarating. And then Tera came around and there was something so amazing about dps, tanking and pulling out that huge axe... On a tiny elin hahaha. 

I honestly only dislike Blade master and mostly because I prefer evasion over blocking. This game has very interesting classes, Kung fu master surprised me in how fun it is. 

Most of the time I'm the one making very sexy ladies. Many of my male guildies here and in Tera and pso2 loved the little races. I know someone who only plays little characters! He won't play a game if he can't make a chibi. My bf makes great characters that look like female fighters, always modestly and practically dressed for battle while my main prances around in tight leather or barely there dresses lol. 

I think summoner and lyn Blade can appeal to all. It is just a matter of liking cutesy or not. I think they're adorable. Same with gon and destroyer or kfm. They're sexy as hell but that's personal opinion. Guys and girls can agree or disagree. 

I thought about making a character of the opposite sex bc when I asked my hubby why he makes girl toons he explained the appeal (he doesn't play BnS though), so I wanted my own eye candy doll to dress up. So I made a yumi muscled male gon....and deleted him at lvl 20. It was cool to play a male toon, but I'd rather look at passing hot gons then be one, lol. Just me, idk if its bc I related to my toon too much and saw it as an extension of me instead of a detached toy? shrugs.

I then made a girl jin BM and lovve the fight animations and the jin race are too damn cute but still feminine as I feel the female Lyns are a bit gender neutral, the Yun are elegant and the gon are sexy fierce. After playing my BM I just wasn't able to master it and struggled to play it solo and found melee to be unfulfilling so I went FM (yun) and love it.

And yesss I made a kawaii cutie Lyn and its a summoner, but only to try out another class and omg my fav! Love the cat and the adorb fight animations Lol, I have a blast with her and got a handle on her much better then my BM. I dress the cat up and rotate outfits each week! and my husband looks at my screen about that often and rolls his eyes mumbling 'that poor damn cat' each time.

My Lyn though I find it harder to find outfits I really like for her, its that balance of cute but not too sexy looking, I just cant cross that line with that race for some reason. My yun and jin I can. So if the summoner was made for chics, spot on, you got me =P'

6 minutes ago, DeaHamlet said:

You tell them. Seeing as my main is Lorelei, I had to reply that the holder of such an amazing name is also bada$$. 

Haha, I was actually salty as all balls when I saw that you got "my" name, but I'm over it now. At least it did push me to try and find a more original moniker for future MMOs. I hate the stress of getting up early/staying up late, smashing the login button, trying not to fumble over the keys and stuff, just because the name I prefer to use is really popular because lulzPokemon. (or other reasons, idk)

Tangent aside, it wasn't ani-canceling that killed Des for me, it was stuff like SSP and damage-based credit in general. Also ruined BM for me, which is a shame since I LOVE tanking in most MMOs I play. I was an Amani lancer in TERA, so yeah, I actually tend to like the "bigger, butchier" female races. I was a Roegadyn for a long time in FFXIV, but eventually had to change because the gear and emotes on them were so awkward and looked much better on other races. :/

BF plays LBM as his main and likes it a lot (though he's really feeling the "no SSP/Bay Lee/GSH" crunch), and he is also leveling a Summoner with me and likes it a lot (he thinks the cat pin is hilarious, especially when doing it to huge mobs like Lycan). I think enjoying Summoner is kind of tied into the comedic effect of it sometimes too, not necessarily because it's "cute". You have to not take the class super seriously to enjoy it (see: all the debates about, "can you call a Summoner a 'martial arts master'?"). If you think it's hilarious to bop enemies to death with a giant sunflower laser in the same way I find it hilarious to throw a guy into a pile of other guys and make them all fall down, then you'll probably enjoy Summoner more than Des.

BF plays LBM as his main and likes it a lot (though he's really feeling the "no SSP/Bay Lee/GSH" crunch), and he is also leveling a Summoner with me and likes it a lot (he thinks the cat pin is hilarious, especially when doing it to huge mobs like Lycan).

I find it hilarious when the cat beats a tiger in the game. :) Particularly during Poharan's fight. :) It actually did feel lonely playing another class after a summoner, because as cheesy as the cat is, it's there for you. Can't say I grew attached to Thrall.... Yeah, I wish my husband played the game, but he got a knee-jerk reaction to it, so, yeah, too bad.

I'm female and I can tell you that I vastly prefer the Gon Destroyer to the Lyn Summoner. Not that I dislike cutesy things or anything but for whatever reason, the Destroyer's ability to grab and their utter "fearful presence" is kinda cool. Other than that, I play BM and Sin

@DeaHamlet -- sorry if it comes off that way, but I'm not trying to be sexist at all -- most of my responses I've said I know people can play any race/style/look/gender they want as long as they like it // I just had thoughts about if the creators intentionally marketed the summoner to females as the animations/spells seemed that way to me.

@Abonde -- since the entire nature of the post was concerning whether the class of summoner was stereotypically marketed towards females, stating my own gender has complete pertinence to the topic of discussion.  Otherwise, yes, there is no reason whatsoever to state one's gender.  However, the gender of the person responding to a topic such as this has weight, and so I think this is why we see people stating their own gender via responses. Plus...who is the one who wants more attention, the person asking a simple question or the person trying to get attention by posting about how they think someone else wants some?

4 minutes ago, Noellessa said:

@Abonde -- since the entire nature of the post was concerning whether the class of summoner was stereotypically marketed towards females, stating my own gender has complete pertinence to the topic of discussion.  Otherwise, yes, there is no reason whatsoever to state one's gender.  However, the gender of the person responding to a topic such as this has weight, and so I think this is why we see people stating their own gender via responses. 

why does it have weight. "While I am female, I understand that many guys" and "I understand that many guys" have the same meaning in the context of the rest of the sentence following the quote. Adding "While I am female" literally has no consequence on what you were trying to say, that oversexualization in video games is meant to appeal to the male demographic. Do guys somehow not understand that?

Do you think there are no guys that find lyn "cute"? that there are no guys playing lyn for that reason?

how often do guys voluntarily disclose their gender without being asked, and how often do girls do it for no reason? "hey guys, girl here. listen..." WHO ASKED YOU? 

I love the adorable cuteness of lyn summoners and their cats. It is obviously targeting players who like cute/adorable characters, though those players could be female or male (yes, I know customization can make them un-cute). Since we are not limited to a single character (some games do that), I could have one adorable cute female summoner playing cat dress-up, and another male gon destroyer to look strong, powerful and intimidating.

Maybe in general there are more girls liking cuteness than guys, but better not stereotype gender based on race/class. As far as I know, my friends play both genders in video games, regardless of their gender in real life.

Well,  I have been playing as an assumed male or a gay male for a while. It's a male in PvE ("let him take agro") and a gay male in PvP (you f**k*g 'homosexual male' moronic idiot, do not queue and die tonight, pls) . I am getting fairly comfortable with this transgender experience the moment I log in, even though initially it confused me, and I tended to correct the pronouns. But, if I can accept the Sir, Lord, Master etc in the game dialogues as 'genderless titles', I can accept that my sex as a player is nominally male. I do not feel that I need to burn a breast out to facilitate access to the mouse or something, but yeah.... we really all are M.I.G.

As a male gamer, i think you're stereotyping guys as only liking badass classes...

CAUSE HOLY CRAP MY SUMMONER IS A CUTE AND I LOVE MY PET CAT OKAY. 

As much as i love their skill animations and sunflower spam blasts... I canNOT handle letting my cat die in battle. The little crying animation to revive them, it hurts me everytime.  :[

6 minutes ago, Yetan said:

I love the adorable cuteness of lyn summoners and their cats. It is obviously targeting players who like cute/adorable characters, though those players could be female or male (yes, I know customization can make them un-cute). Since we are not limited to a single character (some games do that), I could have one adorable cute female summoner playing cat dress-up, and another male gon destroyer to look strong, powerful and intimidating.

Maybe in general there are more girls liking cuteness than guys, but better not stereotype gender based on race/class. As far as I know, my friends play both genders in video games, regardless of their gender in real life.

hey you didn't include your gender. I can't understand what you are trying to say without knowing your gender. 

And according to the World Health Organization, "Sex refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women" and yah, I didn't really need to post this, but.. I did. XD

28 minutes ago, Abonde said:

hey you didn't include your gender. I can't understand what you are trying to say without knowing your gender. 

This is exactly my point. I'm not including my gender info because I don't think it matters in a video game. And, don't assume my gender just because I play certain class/race.

Archived