BDO VS BNS - pros n cons

Terimac

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BDO is a niche game. You have nice graphics and not a lot of pve content, but it tries to be somewhat immersive. You cant speed travel, you'll walk or ride everywhere which can take hours. Also crafting seems to be quite realistic and so on, still not a lot of content.

I did not play the game yet, but i know a bit about it. I have no information about optimisation, server quality, bots, hackers, cash shop, ...

I've looked at BDO, but the setting is unappealing to me. I want an exotic world, not the same olde Medieval England. I'll stick to BnS or play SP games till something comes out that is both new and actually unusual in both landscaping and character creation. With the wealth of cultural diversity in the world, the game-makers desire to forever clone Tolkien is sad.

To be frank both games are low but if i was forced to pick i would pick BDO cause their company care more about their game....NCsoft just beyond saving. They just go and milk game after game with zero effort put in . I played many games but NCsoft given failure new face , and most funny is they maked money from it cause they just scammed people with sweet words , and runned with money...I am so sad koreans let themselves get scammed by this company.....

Still waiting for THE mmorpg playting lol , wot and darksouls till then. :)

6 hours ago, Terimac said:

BDO VS BNS - pros n cons

BnS: Action based.

BDO: Combat is bit slower, but still somewhat action/combo based. But you aren't required to have ms reaction time as you do with BnS.

BnS Cons: Hacks and BOTs. Devs inability to resolve these two issues. TW was BOT infested (soulstones @ 2s) , and NA is heading that direction and I do not see it improving. 

BDO Cons: Grind, tons of grind. Yeah, you can hit level cap in combat pretty quick, but everything else is a grind since you have limited "energy" (1 regen every 3 mins) to perform tasks. It is a good platform for true role play gamers.

As of now, I have not noticed any BOTs in BDO, only because I can AFK most of the task as a bot can, so every player can be a bot and you wont even noticed the difference. 

4 hours ago, Yamyatos said:

BDO is a niche game. You have nice graphics and not a lot of pve content, but it tries to be somewhat immersive. You cant speed travel, you'll walk or ride everywhere which can take hours. Also crafting seems to be quite realistic and so on, still not a lot of content.

I did not play the game yet, but i know a bit about it. I have no information about optimisation, server quality, bots, hackers, cash shop, ...

All games are niche games. Not everyone is going to play it. If you are looking to Tp from one location to the next, BDO isn't the game for you. But if you are looking for open world immersion, where all the mobs are OW and nothing is instanced (that I know of as a L33), then BDO is the game.

Cash shop? Doesn't exist, or at least not like BnS's cash shop, as there is nothing to make you want to spend $500 so you can have that BiS gear tomorrow. Haven't seen any BOTs/Hacks yet. Most of their items are inv exp, outfits, and housing items w a bit more buff.

BDO cons: forced open world pvp(a lot of don't like it, that's why i put it on cons), grind af, lack of descent group content(whale hunt plainly sucks, and guild missions are ubber boring), generic mobs for "kill x mobs" quests, farm and lvl-up are beyond retarded(they have almost no AI and no combat mechanics), bosses offer absolute no challenge(ubber disappointing), you can't freely respec the skill tree(and you have very limited access to respec in whole game, so if you mess up you're screwed for quite some time till the game allows you to respec again. prey to God you don't mess up in your last respec available), potions have 3-4sec cd and are easy to get so it's potion spam festival(pots destroy both pve and pvp), too many actions that require energy/labor etc known names(i thought that i need energy to go pee irl), and if it's depleted it's nightmare if you want to gather, craft etc, cause you get 1 energy every 3 minutes, no in depth gear progression and there's no lvl restriction on gear(some people will like this-people that are stuck in True profane/Siren-, but you're not gonna like the enchantment of gear which is not 100% like BnS evolve-breakthrough), no cosmetic gear outside cash shop and it's expensive af. i'm kinda sleepy so i can't think of something else

BDO is only good mostly for people that like fishing, housing, farming, and pvp

BNS is a game that isn't a typical sword and sorcery game.

Hearing people leaving for such a game, makes me think it's really the game makers who are on to what players want.  :p  But only in terms of setting.  I still think WS starting out all raid based was it's downfall.  :p

CON for BNS...not RP friendly.  I'm still convinced a good RP community is what helps a MMO stay strong.

Lyns are a con for me. I hate lolis. HATE THEM. Especially when they are also furries. Just no. At least they don't completely contradict the game's lore in the way that Aion's Shugos do. That's why I had to stop playing Aion. Well one of the reasons. The other reason is because I simply couldn't stand the game devolving into a constant potion chugging game due to the lack of legitimate skill based ways of regaining hp and mp.

HP and MP regeneration need to be tied to skills, not to limited consumables.

3 hours ago, Brand X said:

Hearing people leaving for such a game, makes me think it's really the game makers who are on to what players want.  :p  But only in terms of setting.  I still think WS starting out all raid based was it's downfall.  :p

many people in WS wanted to raid but could not finish the attunement quests (all 5-man man dungeon on Silver) , me includet, i  had 3 done but then couldn't find a decent group anymore.

1 minute ago, Ellisande said:

. The other reason is because I simply couldn't stand the game devolving into a constant potion chugging game due to the lack of legitimate skill based ways of regaining hp and mp.

HP and MP regeneration need to be tied to skills, not to limited consumables.

There are plenty skills that restore HP for yourself and party if you trait it properly, you know. And pot-drinking is not actually exclusive to this game, either. Plus, there are too many healing pots from daily rewards and there are achievements for drinking them, so why not?

I reacting to somewhov who said BNS have action combat. Yes and NO. You still targeting to make skills clickable. In BDO you must target by hand and still you can miss. This is real action combat. BNS is hybrid.

BUT: BDO is nice, but i think our market is not prepare for this type of MMO. BDO is future MMO. They created living world with almost all aspects. BNS is joke compare to this. But i enjoyed BNS more? Why? PPL are simple creatures :P.

BNS: *cricket*ing horrible grind without reason. Toxic comunity, bots, cheats, lags. This is not problem of the game. This can be repaired.

17 minutes ago, Alysha Hawkeye said:

There are plenty skills that restore HP for yourself and party if you trait it properly, you know. And pot-drinking is not actually exclusive to this game, either. Plus, there are too many healing pots from daily rewards and there are achievements for drinking them, so why not?

It isn't the lack of availability of pots, it is their existence to begin with. HP regen should ONLY come from skills and have values that are balanced accordingly. And even though some skills do have hp regen, the availability of hp isn't balanced between the classes. Some classes have decent regen from their skills, while others appear to have no real functional hp regen from their skills. A 10% or even 50% hp steal on a skill that does 1000 damage isn't going to get you very far, especially when another class can get a 10% character hp regen from their skill. I can run through an instance on my Destroyer and maintain 50-70% hp simply through skills whereas my KFM has to chug down hp potions to keep her hp up.

Playing RF Online where your hp bar and mp bar are equal to the number of hp and mp potions you have has made me loathe potions in every game which has them, which is unfortunately basically every game. But some games do give you good skill based hp regen, such as DK's during WotLK,

I really this is more of a player preference problem, but my preferences for skill based hp regen are rarely met by most games for some reason. I loathed the change to hp regen between DA:O, DA:2 and DA:I where the former two games allowed you to use magic to regen your hp whereas in DA:I hp regen was relegated solely to potions. While DA:I was a terrible game for other reasons, the lack of skill based hp regen just added salt to the wounds.

4 hours ago, Alysha Hawkeye said:

You want to know a game's pros?

Visit its official website.

What about the game's cons?

Visit its reddit and forums.

My two cents.

You got the two backwards mate. A game's website will only address issues openly when it is absolutely confident in the stability of its player-base. For instance, do you see any announcements on the homepage of BnS regarding game issues or any patch-notes for that matter? No, they sweep that all under the rug and only  address these issues on the forums, their livestreams, and sometimes Twitter if at all. And, of course, as you can tell from BnS forums, the player-base loves to shit on the game  (not completely unwarranted to be honest).

BDO:

- no dungeons

- no need to play in party (except for world bosses, but it's optional)

- few costumes, although they keep adding more and more

- massive open world, you can walk anywhere, climb over mountains, no loading screens

- no teleports

- mount system is annoying as hell (it can die and you can't "unsummon" it, unless you put it in a stable which makes it unusable)

- awesome graphics, pretty good optimization (except hair, if you zoom in on it - RIP fps)

- there are many many things to do in-game (crafting, gathering, fishing, taming, breeding, trading etc), but they are mostly based on solo play

- no trading (only hp pots)

- auction house / marketplace has min-max prices so you're kind of limited, also the fees are huge

- combo based skills

- really nice animations

- no level requirement for gear

- grinding is pretty fun

There are a lot more stuff I didn't mention, but these are some of the important ones. Basically, the game is pretty much single player till the point you start doing pvp / world bosses.

I guess you know what the pros and cons of BnS are, so I won't bother listing.

5 hours ago, Arohk said:

many people in WS wanted to raid but could not finish the attunement quests (all 5-man man dungeon on Silver) , me includet, i  had 3 done but then couldn't find a decent group anymore.

A bit what I meant.  I worked towards getting to those raids, but without a decent group, hell just a group willing to try, was difficult.  Casuals will have a hard time enjoying the game, when the only ones succeeding are the hardcore players who can live by the "show up at this time every day and run it" mentality.

But a pro I do see for BnS is TV advertising.  

6 hours ago, Lexter said:

BUT: BDO is nice, but i think our market is not prepare for this type of MMO. BDO is future MMO. They created living world with almost all aspects. BNS is joke compare to this. But i enjoyed BNS more? Why? PPL are simple creatures :P.

Don't scare me like that. I have not tried BDO, because I know it is unappealing to me. I am not into housing, fishing and dress-up. I seriously don't feel compelled to go for a game which in every review raves the most about horse-breeding  and being able to do stuff afk.

I have done the raid 4x a week schedule, and it is too much for me. But I also do not want to play on my own. The 24M areas in BnS, and the green&blue dungeons were my holy grail. Oh, and 1vs1 arenas!

I WISH they put far more emphasis on that, not on the purple dungeons!

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who wants a MMO that has the sort of the 'on my own time, but with other people' and "a little challenging, but not so much that you need VoiP", a game where you can spend an hour or four on happy escapism not marred by the feeling of being forever behind.

Am I the only one wanting that Goldilocks play-style?

6 hours ago, Brainy said:

BDO:

- no dungeons

- no need to play in party (except for world bosses, but it's optional)

- few costumes, although they keep adding more and more

- massive open world, you can walk anywhere, climb over mountains, no loading screens

- no teleports

- mount system is annoying as hell (it can die and you can't "unsummon" it, unless you put it in a stable which makes it unusable)

- awesome graphics, pretty good optimization (except hair, if you zoom in on it - RIP fps)

- there are many many things to do in-game (crafting, gathering, fishing, taming, breeding, trading etc), but they are mostly based on solo play

- no trading (only hp pots)

- auction house / marketplace has min-max prices so you're kind of limited, also the fees are huge

- combo based skills

- really nice animations

- no level requirement for gear

- grinding is pretty fun

There are a lot more stuff I didn't mention, but these are some of the important ones. Basically, the game is pretty much single player till the point you start doing pvp / world bosses.

I guess you know what the pros and cons of BnS are, so I won't bother listing.

sounds like Archeage just upgraded a bit.. O WAIT it's made my the same people that did AA? hmmm no wonder it's AA 2.0

Oh, I know BDO is not a game for me. I like BnS, but I am having a noob's troubles settling in. I think I can manage, by overlevelling and overgearing the content a little, like I am doing now with L45 purple dungeons, but I'll wait and see.

35 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

Don't scare me like that. I have not tried BDO, because I know it is unappealing to me. I am not into housing, fishing and dress-up. I seriously don't feel compelled to go for a game which in every review raves the most about horse-breeding  and being able to do stuff afk.

I have done the raid 4x a week schedule, and it is too much for me. But I also do not want to play on my own. The 24M areas in BnS, and the green&blue dungeons were my holy grail. Oh, and 1vs1 arenas!

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who wants a MMO that has the sort of the 'on my own time, but with other people' and "a little challenging, but not so much that you need VoiP", a game where you can spend an hour or four on happy escapism not marred by the feeling of being forever behind.

if you're not into fishing, housing, horses etc etc single player content, and open world pvp, then BDO is not for you. the game lacks heavily on pve, and the group content is also lacking and it's very bad. also the pve is not challenging, and the low cd pots(3-4sec) make it even less challenging. i could bypass the fishing, housing etc, but not the braindead mobs(2 times braindead than in BnS) and literally 0 challenging bosses. i managed to play 2 weeks on Russian BDO(which is f2p. it's easy to bypass ip block with wtfast). after that, exit and uninstall

45 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

I'm with ya on this!!!

Only issue I have with BnS is bots once they fix that I'll be happier than a bear with a picnic basket

Archived