Unable to Reach Oathbreaker Weapon or Beyond.

My BM is now equipped with a True Siren 5 weapon. I just found out today that in order to get beyond that I have to have the Misty Woods Cold Iron Sword. This weapon is purchasable from a Misty Woods Merchant. To be more precise, from the PvP vendor. This means I have to PvP to buy this weapon or fight some NPCs wearing my PvP faction gear.

I cannot do either. As soon as I do put the gear on, I'm attacked by players. I tell them in chat I'm not here for PvP and I will not fight back because it is futile. They don't care, they kill me anyway. So it appears that from this point, I am done with my BM and cannot progress any further.

BnS Devs have seen fit to put this upgrade weapon behind a PvP wall. In doing so they artificially limit players, specifically PvE only players from advancing in their choice class. And before any of you say, "just PvP and get it over with," know this, you try PvPing on a server 9000 miles from where you live with 300ms avg ping, massive lag spikes, server issues that exacerbate skill delay making it futile to even attempt it.

I tried that before in SWTOR when I moved here. I PvP'd all the time. When it was apparent that I could not compete at the level I was with a 30ms ping I knew it was time to stop. I will not be subjected to being someone's XP, faction points, or whatever else you get because of the crappy lag and ping predicated by time, distance, and a questionable ISP. 

BnS developers did not have the foresight in designing the weapon upgrade path with these issue in mind. They just did it and in doing so they just put PvE players out of reach for upgrading their weapon and equipment.

I'm writing this here because Customer Service directed me to do so. They stated that the devs read the forums. Somehow, I find that hard to believe because of my past experience with other MMOs and their official forums. Now I have a year long subscription I paid up front for that I'm stuck with. Sure I can level up my other alts, but I will soon hit the exact same artificial ceiling they put in place.

Unless they remove this requirement OR put another way to obtain this weapon, I cannot get my AP above the 430 AP mark I'm at now. At this point there is no reason for me to continue playing my BM because I know it is a waste of my time knowing I cannot upgrade my weapon anymore. Heck, I don't know if there is a similar issue between True Siren and Oathbreaker for my necklace, ring, or earring. If there is, then it is official, I cannot reach Oathbreaker level at all.

I do hope I hear from a developer on this issue; however, I will not hold my breath based on my past experience.

Unfortunately, they only take efforts to make it easier for PvP players to progress without PvE, but they don't really care for pure PvE players (other than having them as cash cows, that is).

Soulstones/Moonstones -> PvP

Siren Weapon Path/Necklace Upgrade -> PvP

Hongmoon Skills -> PvP

:(

It took me two weeks, including switching to the higher pop faction, to get the insignias. The issue is less with the devs and more the players in that not many farm insignias anymore because they have progressed beyond it. I feel bad for new players as they will likely hit a wall (see above) and quit, taking their wallets with them.

31 minutes ago, Xelo said:

Unfortunately, they only take efforts to make it easier for PvP players to progress without PvE, but they don't really care for pure PvE players (other than having them as cash cows, that is).

Soulstones/Moonstones -> PvP

Siren Weapon Path/Necklace Upgrade -> PvP

Hongmoon Skills -> PvP

:(

yes yes, ssp is very pvp, you fight the enemy nation players there all the time lol

and HM skills? Only for royal zen bean you need to pvp, and the skill it open is kinda useless for most classes afaik. All other HM skills are mainly pve based. If you are 2lazy2farm them, that's another side...

30 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

yes yes, ssp is very pvp, you fight the enemy nation players there all the time lol

Spoken like someone who is part of the dominant faction on your server.

From what the TO posted I'd say he's part of the minority faction.

34 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

and HM skills? Only for royal zen bean you need to pvp, and the skill it open is kinda useless for most classes afaik. All other HM skills are mainly pve based.

Yeah, right. Which mob dropped the Hongmoon Pellet again?

This issue is the main reason I stopped upgrading at Awakened Siren 10 and eventually stopped logging in at all.

I will not be pushed into a playstyle that holds zero interest for me just to make it possible to continue progressing with the stuff I do enjoy. The game made it clear that faction warfare was a thing from the very beginning, but it was always an optional thing to participate in or ignore entirely. And suddenly, breakthrough materials locked behind a requirement to PvP - no longer optional.

If they'd done that at, say, Corrupted weapon stage, it wouldn't have been so bad. Instead of revealing what the play was early on, they waited until 45 to spring that surprise. "Don't want to PvP? Tough luck! You're gonna do it whether you like it or not!" To which I say no, I will not.

Making changes so PvPers can get their stuff through PvP is good. Now PvE players need the same consideration.

I actually like helping players from both factions. I really wish they had an outfit which could attack ALL faction players / talus, stratus, bamboo, blackram, etc. so I can help people out like you who are in the predicament.

What I believe they should do is also make it so other players can sell these weapons on the market. Or allow us to buy crimson or cerulean insignias to buy them from the NPC from other players.

Sadly there is nothing you can do until you see no one around. I had the same issue on the server Hao District when I switched to Crimson to farm the outfit. Was a horrible experience.

1 hour ago, Xelo said:

Spoken like someone who is part of the dominant faction on your server.

From what the TO posted I'd say he's part of the minority faction.

Yeah, right. Which mob dropped the Hongmoon Pellet again?

Since when is having a guild PVP based???? And something forcing him to be in the less populated faction? But if you and the OP wants to cry about nosenses, then let it be.

Sadly this is what Koreans want and like so us in NA/EU must also want and like it, whether we actually do or not.

You have these gamists saying it is how the game works so just stuff up and deal with it. But people honestly don't play this way. Some people only like PVP, like Mosh47 who does great PVP Arena stream and is often raided/hosted by BnS stream, and they hate having to do PVE in order to play their Tekken style game hidden within BnS to be able to unlock the skills they need to be competitive in any future e-sport.

Somehow only that population that wants to mix PVE and PVP are catered to, while the PVE-only and PVP-only are looked down on.

Let me direct your attention to what it is and what it is not. First what it is not.

- It is not about faction imbalance, faction controlled channels, or guilds, or anything else of this nature.

What it is about:

4 hours ago, DamnedYankee said:

And before any of you say, "just PvP and get it over with," know this, you try PvPing on a server 9000 miles from where you live with 300ms avg ping, massive lag spikes, server issues that exacerbate skill delay making it futile to even attempt it.

I tried that before in SWTOR when I moved here. I PvP'd all the time. When it was apparent that I could not compete at the level I was with a 30ms ping I knew it was time to stop. I will not be subjected to being someone's XP, faction points, or whatever else you get because of the crappy lag and ping predicated by time, distance, and a questionable ISP.

It is about having a 300 to 350 ms ping, having multiple lag spikes, skill activation delay, playing the game from 9000 miles away. All of this makes for playing PvP futile. If I were at 100ms, I'd be knee deep in PvP. I do it all the time in World of Warships and World of Tanks. But this, no I will subject myself to the frustration of PvP with the kind of issues I face playing on servers in NA. I learned how futile it is playing SWTOR PvP with it.

This is what the issue is for me and why I posted this subject at the behest of customer service. It is not whining, griping, moaning, QQing, or anything else. I cannot be competitive in PvP in this game on a NA server with the network issues I'm subjected too. It is that simple. The fact that BnS put the Misty Woods Cold Iron Sword behind a PvP wall to upgrade beyond True Siren Level 5 IS the issue that I cannot overcome.

I do not know how much less ambiguous I can make for people to take what I say at face value.

Sadly many people don't take anything at face value, and want to interject all sorts of other things into it. It has how society has become with newer generations.

What you mention about this has been said before.

and I specifically asked in a livestream question thread about it, but it was ignored in favor of things dealing solely with new content.

What I have noticed on my server is players from the less populated faction attacking the opposing faction's camp wearing their non PvP outfits to get the named NPCs to spawn then once they spawn quickly equiping their PvP outfit, killing the NPC for the token and then removing their PvP outfit. Personally I really leave the other faction alone unless I an attacked by them or if they keep stealing the quest items while I take out the NPC guarding it.

If I remember correctly, this weapon not only costs insignia, but also requires certain PvP rank to buy it. The misty woods necklace doesn't have the rank requirement though. Basically, to get this weapon, doing faction quests wearing PvP uniform is mandatory. There is no way around it.

However, the quests and NPCs to kill are no different than PvE, as long as you don't engage in actually PvP against other players.  On my server, even though I'm in the dominant faction, it doesn't mean it is absolutely safe for me. I'm being careful picking the time and channel to do these faction quests and avoid every opposite faction player as much as possible.

It sucks, yes, but if you think the game is (otherwise) awesome enough that you don't want to quit because of this one hurdle... there are ways around it. One is to ask in faction chat for help until you can get yourself a party strong enough to farm a few insignias. It also helps to look for low-populated hours. Or... at worst case, switch faction, raise your rank (it takes around ~3 days if you just do the low-level faction dailies until you can reach MW, and you'll find no opposition at the lower level areas).

I think MW is the only upgrade roadblock you'll find, so if you can overcome it, you'll be able to continue progressing through pve as usual. If it were up to me, I'd make all relevant materials tradeable, so that people from PvP can just sell SS to buy the rest of materials, and viceversa for PvEers.

1 minute ago, Yetan said:

If I remember correctly, this weapon not only costs insignia, but also requires certain PvP rank to buy it. The misty woods necklace doesn't have the rank requirement though. Basically, to get this weapon, doing faction quests wearing PvP uniform is mandatory. There is no way around it.

However, the quests and NPCs to kill are no different than PvE, as long as you don't engage in actually PvP against other players.  On my server, even though I'm in the dominant faction, it doesn't mean it is absolutely safe for me. I'm being careful picking the time and channel to do these faction quests and avoid every opposite faction player as much as possible.

Here on Yehara, Crimsons are farming SSP and Ceruleans are ganking people in Misty Woods and the beach - it is actually safer for the weaker faction. You got Ceruleans with like 60k+ HP and 550+ AP killing Crimsons that may not even be 50 and mostly around 300-400 AP.

You can also get the Misty Woods weapon with zen beans, go lose in PvP arena for a few days for the participate in 3 1v1 and 3v3 quests then find a channel with the faction exchange NPC up - done. But you gotta farm for the necklace though...

1 hour ago, Yetan said:

to get this weapon, doing faction quests wearing PvP uniform is mandatory. There is no way around it.

Sure, there is not. But you don't need to do PvP..

I had the insiginias already, when I got to siren stage, since.. you know, you need Soulstones, and before you can do SSP, misty woods is like your only option.

When ever I encountered anyone attacking me, I would escape (if possible) and change channel.

If someone is changing channel to harass.. go do something else for 30min.

53 minutes ago, TheQuibbler said:

Sure, there is not. But you don't need to do PvP..

I had the insiginias already, when I got to siren stage, since.. you know, you need Soulstones, and before you can do SSP, misty woods is like your only option.

When ever I encountered anyone attacking me, I would escape (if possible) and change channel.

If someone is changing channel to harass.. go do something else for 30min.

Since the OP only complains about PvP required for the misty weapon, not soulstones, I'm guessing that he didn't get the soulstones from PvP related content (e.g. marketplace).

Just double-checked the vendor at misty woods, buying the weapon with 15 insignia requires fraction rank 3, and buying with 3000 zen beans has no rank requirement. I also remember doing beach and misty woods fraction dailies requires rank 2.

54 minutes ago, Yetan said:

I also remember doing beach and misty woods fraction dailies requires rank 2.

Not sure about beach, but Misty Woods definitly need some rank. When I learned about that, I went back and did the old faction quests for 1 or 2 days, and I could do Misty Woods.

You need to be a private (don't know the crimson rank) to be able to do the quests there (it's not that hard to achieve  but it's forced pvp, gankers love the place). The sword is untradable? Don't remember , if it is tradable ask someone who already have the insignias. 

I would like to get all my gear from PvP, but i can't...

You know...At arena is all the same, but i like to do the battleground, also go play around in SSP while ppl are farming...To do it i need to make some upgrades.

And i'm forced to do dungeons in order to get these itens, and that sucks...

9 hours ago, DamnedYankee said:

It is about having a 300 to 350 ms ping, having multiple lag spikes, skill activation delay, playing the game from 9000 miles away. All of this makes for playing PvP futile. If I were at 100ms, I'd be knee deep in PvP. I do it all the time in World of Warships and World of Tanks. But this, no I will subject myself to the frustration of PvP with the kind of issues I face playing on servers in NA. I learned how futile it is playing SWTOR PvP with it.

Gentlemen and ladies, this quote is the issue for me and PvP. I'm not afraid to face against other players. I am; however, not going to do it when the majority of the players have 10% of the ping I have because it means I am at an extreme disadvantage and not able to compete because of that. This is the second time I have made mention of what my issue is and why I do not PvP. You want to know what it is like? Sign up on WoWS Asia Server from the US and try playing the game, then you will see the problem.

Archived