The real cause of lag in bns and how to fix

Shiro

If you delete local64.dat file, found in Blade & Soul > BnS > contents > Local > NCWEST > ENGLISH > data, then your game will obviously not show any text BUT your fps will skyrocket even on max graphics and 64 bit.

Hope this will reach the devs in some way and maybe they look into the fix, the lag in this game comes from how the engine looks up and reads the strings in that stupid .dat, nothing to do with graphics or UE3 like some ppl keep saying.

edit: you don't need to delete, renaming it works too.

Edited by Shiro
  • Like 1

Done it and the FPS really do go up and more stable but there are downsides, if you are new to the game it is hard to see what item you got and most of the veterans can just go by looking at the icons and also in F8 you don't see the links for dungeon recruitments when people are recruiting.

P S. I like the original dungeon naming in F8 rather than the boring current ones that where slapped over for example Dungeon_Punishment that is Stonescale Passage seems more accurate and don't know why it wasn't kept like that xD 

Yeah, it's very annoying to play without text, I don't recommend doing it 24/7 even if you're an expert, but of course newbies should play with text for now.

The point of this post was also to raise awareness, maybe miracle happens and NCsoft fixes this problem one day without us having to struggle without text.

• Like 1

Why delete something? Just press the combination (Ctrl + X) in the game 2 times and the entire interface will disappear from the screen and immediately FPS starts to grow to the skies! Is the display text on the screen so demanding?

There is no optimization at all in this game. I have 2 computers. One new i5 10th gen, another old Phenom x6, 3.9Ghz. So, on an old computer with Phenom, my FPS always drops to an eerie 2-3 frames on SSP. It is generally impossible to play in dungeons for 12 people. The processor is always loaded by 10-15%, just like the old GTS 450 video card, at the lowest settings, it is always loaded only at 40-50%, the FPS is kept at 20-25 and for some reason does not want to grow ... refuses to load my computer 100%.

2 hours ago, AnyMayer said:

Why delete something? Just press the combination (Ctrl + X) in the game 2 times and the entire interface will disappear from the screen and immediately FPS starts to grow to the skies! Is the display text on the screen so demanding?

There is no optimization at all in this game. I have 2 computers. One new i5 10th gen, another old Phenom x6, 3.9Ghz. So, on an old computer with Phenom, my FPS always drops to an eerie 2-3 frames on SSP. It is generally impossible to play in dungeons for 12 people. The processor is always loaded by 10-15%, just like the old GTS 450 video card, at the lowest settings, it is always loaded only at 40-50%, the FPS is kept at 20-25 and for some reason does not want to grow ... refuses to load my computer 100%.

Please don't talk without even trying what I said or knowing.

This is NOT about displaying text. CTRL + X gives a slight fps boost from lack of displaying UI, but it still looks up the text with this un-optimized way NCsoft did, and causes massive lag.

In fact even without local64.dat, chat is being displayed (and character names)

But without the local64.dat the game runs like a NORMAL GAME on 64 bit, even in combat easily over 60 FPS with max graphics on decent computer. Go and try it and see for yourself. There isn't an issue with graphics optimization or UE3 or other "hopeless" things, it's how they coded to look up strings in local.dat

Edited by Shiro
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Shiro said:

But without the local64.dat the game runs like a NORMAL GAME on 64 bit, even in combat easily over 60 FPS with max graphics on decent computer. Go and try it and see for yourself. There isn't an issue with graphics optimization or UE3 or other "hopeless" things, it's how they coded to look up strings in local.dat

local.dat is encrypted and compressed to prevent modifications/hacks/cheats. That's why lookups slow down everything. How did you manage to enter the PIN without seeing the numbers?

48 minutes ago, Cohen said:

local.dat is encrypted and compressed to prevent modifications/hacks/cheats. That's why lookups slow down everything. How did you manage to enter the PIN without seeing the numbers?

There are ways to manage it. Just look around some discord servers of bns and u will find it.

On 12/29/2020 at 3:38 AM, Shiro said:

If you delete local64.dat file, found in Blade & Soul > BnS > contents > Local > NCWEST > ENGLISH > data, then your game will obviously not show any text BUT your fps will skyrocket even on max graphics and 64 bit.

Hope this will reach the devs in some way and maybe they look into the fix, the lag in this game comes from how the engine looks up and reads the strings in that stupid .dat, nothing to do with graphics or UE3 like some ppl keep saying.

omg thank you for info its really amazing i can play max settings now.  😄 😄

Aye, it's been insanely good for improving framerates. Without going into specifics, there are ways to keep the most essential of text while removing the rest. I'm really hoping this can get looked into, it's not quite reasonable to have players strip the client down to the point of it barely being playable for the sake of decent framerates.

Edited by Azaethal

On 12/28/2020 at 7:38 PM, Shiro said:

how do you enter the pin without the text let me know by message pls

Well actually just fixing the poor Text implementation would do alot but also fixing the "Cache" so it is a permanent folder instead of a Temporary folder stored in temp then Draining Memory unneccecary untill its overflowed and causes major lag and crashes

5 hours ago, bunnycloud said:

sooo basically we need someone to mod this file to be minimal but not remove literally every text. that'll increase dps and it'd be fine and far better from vanilla file.

its just the formatting and poor implementation alongside a unneccecary spaghetti code!   its actually an unbelieveably easy fix as its a separate file Implementation!  one standalone Developer/coder/enthusiast could fix this alone in 2 days or less depending on abilities!  

so the fact the development team havent fixed this issue yet is 100% sheer Giveno❤ ❤ ❤ ❤all!!!

1 hour ago, Nergaard2k said:

its just the formatting and poor implementation alongside a unneccecary spaghetti code!   its actually an unbelieveably easy fix as its a separate file Implementation!  one standalone Developer/coder/enthusiast could fix this alone in 2 days or less depending on abilities!  

so the fact the development team havent fixed this issue yet is 100% sheer Giveno❤ ❤ ❤ ❤all!!!

and aswell obviously if they have the proper Access to the matereal