Please do NOT make a "classic server" for our region like KR did!

Ozonek

The announcement of Unreal Engine 4 and new (more open) content is a big one for Blade and Soul. Remains to be seen, if it will help the game performance issues at all, but it is a good marketing point that could bring old players back (and maybe some new even). BnS has a solid core of great combat and interesting world that could make it a big success with some work and less item shop, but we all know that won't happen, because NCSoft has proven again and again they're here just for quick money. 

Anyway, that's not what I want to talk about.

The Korean Blade and Soul just announced a "classic server" coming with the engine change, going back to the Pohwaran times. The idea of cashing out on old content and nostalgia without any development time is nothing new and have been a trend in past years. However, there are crucial differences between KR and NA/EU versions that will make the "classic" kill the game alltogether.

Korean Blade and Soul launched in June 2012, that's 7.5 years ago. At this time, it was the most popular MMORPG at this gaming focused contry for a while. Thing was massive and brought massive revenue. And of course there's a lot of people, who would like to refresh that feeling from many years ago in better graphics.

Meanwhile our version came in January 2016, that's less than 4 years ago. It's still fresh in player memory, and the reception wasn't anything like that of Korea. There aren't millions of players waiting to jump right back into it, because it was never that popular. It came too late in the west to be a novelty. We just played that content basically yesterday.

No, it won't bring a long-term playerbase, it will just divide the current half-empty servers more, and when classic server dies, what are you going to do? Merge them into the main one? People will quit and never play again. Sure, you might bring a few thousand players that will play, reach 45, see it's same thing they just played on launch.

TL;DR: The game is too fresh and was never popular enough in the west to maintain a classic.

Of course, I'm sure decision has been already made and you sure as hell don't give a damn about player feedback. Even more - I expect players in this thread to be all for the idea: "We want classic, open world content on 0 FPS was fun!", "Pohwaran best times, no P2W yet".

I'm just putting in here so that when (not if) the whole idea flops and sinks the game, I can say "I told you so".

Edited by Ozonek

It's not too fresh. If we were to get patches to enroll in the same time frames they did on KR, it would be fresh. But we didn't. In all honesty, when I consider how much content was crammed in, ground down to dust and obsoleted so fast, it feels like Powaran times were back in Jesus times.

I wouldnt jump to speculations. There are a lot of things other regions get which we do not. So the "new sever" might just be a KR explusive and we may never get it.

Best bet is to wait for an official announcement.

Even if we would get a classic server with 45 cap, it wouldnt stay that way for long. It would still get the same updates the current server got and same rng boxes, trove etc.

Tho would be interesting to see all the "new players" who cry about upgrading now, to see them cry when they have to get prefumes, stingers, and a lot more to upgrade, especially since it was much much harder to upgrade back then then it is now.

I'm no expert, but with other NCSoft titles, namely City of Heroes and Villains, you had an option to do older content at the level it was intended for, now this would make plenty of sense in this game as there is some cool content which is pretty much skipped now, no one does the older dungeons, or goes to certain areas, like nightshade harbour and E.Fleet apart from trying to get costumes. I think this is such a waste of the content that the game has.

Some way to match the level of the current zone would help in making all of this content more interesting and challenging. and would add so much more to the game in terms of worthwhile content. Worthwhile meaning a challenge rather than monetary gain.

1 hour ago, Grimoir said:

I wouldnt jump to speculations. There are a lot of things other regions get which we do not. So the "new sever" might just be a KR explusive and we may never get it.

Best bet is to wait for an official announcement.

Even if we would get a classic server with 45 cap, it wouldnt stay that way for long. It would still get the same updates the current server got and same rng boxes, trove etc.

Tho would be interesting to see all the "new players" who cry about upgrading now, to see them cry when they have to get prefumes, stingers, and a lot more to upgrade, especially since it was much much harder to upgrade back then then it is now.

If they could be bothered to do some right for a change they would come out, right now, and clarify their intentions. Then again this is same garbage ass management team so I expect they won't tell us anything until the week of release.

2 hours ago, Ozonek said:

The Korean Blade and Soul just announced a "classic server" coming with the engine change, going back to the Pohwaran times. The idea of cashing out on old content and nostalgia without any development time is nothing new and have been a trend in past years. However, there are crucial differences between KR and NA/EU versions that will make the "classic" kill the game alltogether.

where did u see that ? can u link the announcement?

Edited by D3aThLoCk

2 hours ago, Grimoir said:

Don't forget we didn't have 1 million gear slots back then.

On May 10, 2018, NCsoft has teased a new "Blade & Soul Vision Update", the renovation project with upgrading the engine to Unreal Engine . And released as Blade & Soul Complete expansion in December 2019.

icant find anything about "new clasic" server only some ign videos from the new bns expansion.

https://ibb.co/7Nhp2PP

Edited by D3aThLoCk

24 minutes ago, D3aThLoCk said:

On May 10, 2018, NCsoft has teased a new "Blade & Soul Vision Update", the renovation project with upgrading the engine to Unreal Engine . And released as Blade & Soul Complete expansion in December 2019.

icant find anything about "new clasic" server only some ign videos from the new bns expansion.

https://ibb.co/7Nhp2PP

Translated from the teaser/pre-order page: https://bnspreorder.plaync.com/events/2019/191028_preorder

"The 'complete' update will have UE4 remastered graphics and new contents, and also the 'Frontier world' where everyone can newely start"

Google translate. There are new, "Frontier" servers coming for fresh start. Exact specifications are yet to be confirmed, however considering the CGI trailers focus on Pohwaran and Hae Mujin, it's extremely unlikely it will be anything else than a classic reboot.

Edited by Ozonek

trailer looks sick and everything but am just here like --___-- the bigger the price the bigger the sacrifice... am ready to jump ship...cause rn all my friends left the game and am here bored just waiting for the last straw ... this game has rep of getting on my nerves.... so i just ignore everything till the patch comes ... i know when this comes out a whole lot of ppl gonna have so much issues rip when it comes.... am not gonna even bother doing any big gear upgrades till i know for sure whats going on ....they spoil the game already spoil food cant turn 5 star meal in blink of an eye .

I have no desire to start my character over again in the classic version of the game that sounds horrible.  I would be surprised if anyone left who has invested time in their character would invest long term in classic bns. This isn't like classic wow which came out 15 years ago. Not to mention classic wow was to many a much better version than retail so it warrants playing it. It still is a pitfall though with no future progression.

If they don't upgrade the core engine of the actual game to unreal engine 4 that would be a massive fail.

They also really need to fix the optimization of the game and the servers in the west. The game has been in a consistent decline because they keep treating us like 5th class citizens.

It's a Shame we don't get to enjoy the game as it was meant to be played, as it is played in the east.

Edited by Incognito

You all need to chill out a bit and wait for an offficial announcement on our region. all you have is half baked information from a region that is seperate from ours.

Besides that point, if it really is a classic server it will be like WoW so it will only have a selected few patches and will not be updated in the future, its just for those who want to experience the old days. The current server will still get the engine update and still move forward with updates and patches.

• Like 1

This is clearly not the time to chill out or wait an official announcement on our region, NCwest demonstrated those past few weeks they got no clue what going on, so like everyone i better fish for information in korea, lower my gametime and start to pack up cause for now our last hope "Ue4" look more like a last backstab and moneygrab update.

My fear is UE4 will be a classic server thing and our current game will stay on UE3 cause its to much to bring everything we currently have to UE4 and just give us our chars with our gear in UE4. They either create two games of BNS or they close UE3 Version and start completly new with UE4.

3 hours ago, ombremq said:

This is clearly not the time to chill out or wait an official announcement on our region, NCwest demonstrated those past few weeks they got no clue what going on, so like everyone i better fish for information in korea, lower my gametime and start to pack up cause for now our last hope "Ue4" look more like a last backstab and moneygrab update.

Fishing for information doesnt bring anything more than start unnecessary panic and rumors. Also as the past showed, KR got many many things which our region never received and never will. All this does is creating more and more confusion.

Despite the mistakes NC made, an official statement, is still an official statement. Unless we get that, for all you know everything korea did is KR exclusive since i have not even seen any similar announcements in the other regions.

2 hours ago, ImoutoMaster said:

My fear is UE4 will be a classic server thing and our current game will stay on UE3 cause its to much to bring everything we currently have to UE4 and just give us our chars with our gear in UE4. They either create two games of BNS or they close UE3 Version and start completly new with UE4.

If you really want to go based on KR information, the classic server will be UE4 and will only feature up to 45 level content. There are no plans to update that server beyond that similar to what WoW classic did. They started a classic server with specific patches and there are no plans to go beyond that.

See it as: you play the normal server, do your dailies etc, then when you feel bored, you can go to the other server and have some fun in POH.

The current game version will get the UE4 update, this was also confirmed by RU, they cannot have the same game on 2 different engines as then they would have to make speific patches per version coded which is double the cost and double the time.

I do get people want to know more but the entire "oh look what korea has, oh look what korea did, ..." panic serves nothing and no one.

Edited by Grimoir
  • Like 1