Recommended Antivirus and firewall???

ChanChan

Okay, so in light of recent issues with security, I am about to quit. Most recently this game decided it did not want to run while AVG was running. And I know some will say its AVG's fault, some will say its NC's fault - I DON'T CARE WHOSE FAULT IT IS.

If someone could be kind enough to recommend an anti-virus, and/or firewall, that will work while running this game, that'd be great.

Personal experience after running my PC without antivirus and firewall for well over 10 years: I was never hacked and I never got a virus. I don't click on stuff that says I'm the N-th visitor and I won 1 billion dollars. I don't install stuff from shady websites. If you want to torrent something, you can just read the comments, they usually say if there's a virus. 

Antiviruses slow down your PC and even if you have one installed, you can still manage to screw up your OS just fine.  Also, if you're behind a router, having a firewall makes no sense.

26 minutes ago, Brainy said:

Antiviruses slow down your PC and even if you have one installed, you can still manage to screw up your OS just fine.  Also, if you're behind a router, having a firewall makes no sense.

These statements are misinformed at best and malicious at worst. Spi firewalls are not a replacement for application firewalls by any means, and if you go without anti-virus you're a fool. Microsoft has a "patch Tuesday" for a reason - a/v goes a long way in keeping you safe the other ~29 days of the month.

As far as recommendations, I've had good luck with Kaspersky (there's a slight risk of all your data being sold to the Russians, but it works nicely).

Gameguard is pretty much malware, by collecting your personal data and send it to Nc or whatever..

"Malware may be stealthy, intended to steal information or spy on computer users for an extended period without their knowledge" -Wiki

AVG is protecting you from it, and might other AVs as well.

You can use stop AV when launch, on pin screen you can re-enable it.

Most AVs have temp stop for 5min, use it forget it and play, it will auto re-enable after 5min.

Doubt anyone/virus will hack you in 5 min you playing the game.

Or goodluck finding another one.

Same as brainy i have no antivirus and firewall on my pc other that the built in windows defender and havent had a virus for many years, not even malware or spyware.

Every month i do a online scan with one of the antivirus websites and nothing is found and detected.

Its all a matter of how you use the internet, if you blindly visit websites or 18+ content sites you will get a virus / hacked. If you are smart and aware of risks and you can potentially see already sites which are suspicious then you wont need one,

Its all personal preference to be honest. if you want to be safer use a antivirus. I had Nod32 / Kspersky / Malwarebytes in the past a few times and Zone Alarm as firewall.

Didnt have any issues, tho benchmarks for them on the net differ

Is it so hard to believe I have no antivirus/firewall and I have no issues ? The only "side-effect" of this is my PC runs better. I will take the risk of having to format everything once in 10 years than having to live every day with an antivirus.

But anyway, if you want an antivirus, just take whatever, they are all pretty much slowing down your system the same way.

Don't listen to people that say you would be fine without an AV..

Sure, they might not have any virus, or they might have a shit load and not know about it.

I have never been in a car accident, so I guess you should stop using your seat belt. You don't need it..

They are full of shit..

I personally use Avast, tho lately, it's gotten a lot more intrusive, I used to never see it, except for the Has been updated pop up. now it pushes sales ads like every week and lots of pop ups. (Might be stuff I can disable, not sure.)

I'm currently using Avast in conjunction with Malwarebytes - seems to do pretty good.

In the past I have used Norton - but seems like a lot of things make it through...

I have also used AVG, but man that program clashes with so many other things, the compatibility is just so bad that I stopped using it.

EDIT: I also run firefox with noscript

2 hours ago, Brainy said:

Is it so hard to believe I have no antivirus/firewall and I have no issues ? The only "side-effect" of this is my PC runs better. I will take the risk of having to format everything once in 10 years than having to live every day with an antivirus.

But anyway, if you want an antivirus, just take whatever, they are all pretty much slowing down your system the same way.

You are so painfully misinformed it's depressing.

2 hours ago, Lurkios said:

You are so painfully misinformed it's depressing.

Does it bother you that I have no problems without antivirus that much?

Edit: Oh, you're the guy that said firewall makes a difference behind a router. I am all ears, please explain why.

7 hours ago, ChanChan said:

Okay, so in light of recent issues with security, I am about to quit. Most recently this game decided it did not want to run while AVG was running. And I know some will say its AVG's fault, some will say its NC's fault - I DON'T CARE WHOSE FAULT IT IS.

If someone could be kind enough to recommend an anti-virus, and/or firewall, that will work while running this game, that'd be great.

You probably should care about if its AVG's fault or not...because i think that AVG is one of the antivirus software out there that gives out false positives.  So thats something that you might want to look in to.  Go use Malwarebytes instead and Spybot Search and Destroy (i dont know if they are any good but they used to be).  And done run either one, run both so that in case one AV program misses something then maybe the other one will pick it up.

But if you are doing this because of all the security issues with NCSoft then look into two-step authentication.  If you go to your NCSoft account settings you should see some links there that allow you to set up two-step.  You will need either a smartphone OR a program called "Winauth". 

@Brainy   @Lurkios

Please guys don't start a war in others topics.

I myself have 2 laptops without AV, it's all depends on usage, I use them in close environment.
Going to official websites, installing licensed software etc..
Most likely will never get virus.

As for my workstation PC, I have AV, cuz I download and work with alot of stuff including unlicensed software, can't take the risks.

Even for dev and nerds who can analyze viruses, why the hassle when there is a software do the job in one sec? :)

Everyone has their personal environments.

As for basic/novice users, I highly recommend having AV.

I use AVG and i dont have problems.

You know all Antivírus have options and you can open exceptions for files or folders!?

You can open a exception for all NCS folder and no more problems or if you know what file AVG detects open exception just for the file.

I love see ppl say dont use ativirus and firewall and dont have vírus! lolololol

If you dont use how do you know you dont have?

I'd recommend either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. Haven't had any issue with either one and both are fairly known for minimal false-positives and staying strong on real-world protection tests. Bitdefender uses drastically less resources than Kaspersky, though Kaspersky would be the choice for someone who normally have bad/risky computing and browsing habits. Unfortunately, Bitdefender tray icon & UI crashes for some but the service will still continue to run so you wouldn't be compromised. Malwarebytes though still tops for on-demand scans imo.

Fundamentally, one could even survive with a weak AV ONLY IF they really have the know-how on keeping themselves safe and staying away from the wrong websites/connections.

14 hours ago, ChanChan said:

Avira free edition.

Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials + Windows Firewall. Assuming your using Win7 or newer fully patched OS and a modern updated browser.

Its all ya need. I run Malwarebytes/Spybot every other month or so to clean up the handful of things that get by never seen more then 5-6 items total on any of my computers. No software can protect you as well as using smart browsing and internet habbits. I run 4 PC's in this house with 4 teenagers and a not entirely computer literate wife. Run nothing but these and never have issues. Educate yourself and form good internet habbits and then teach them to your family.

I have used Avira, AVG, Avast, and Nortons in the past. I agree, all 3rd party AV software is just bloated junk that slows down your computer.

After much careful research, aided by they insightful suggestions from man members, I have gone with BitDefender. AVG started conflicting with everything I ran. Norton, being the standard by which all AV are measured, has actually been out done by Kaspersky, BitDefender, and a few others. But Norton was always a resource hog, constantly, constantly scanning...my hard drives would never stop spinning.

And normally, under normal use(torrents all day and night), I wouldn't even bother. I'm not computer illiterate. If you look around, you can find anything you want on the net for free(software wise). But with the amount of bad things happening to players on this game(hacked bank accounts),  the thought of having to turn off my security suite to run his game or any other korean mmo, feels sketchy. Real sketchy. It's started to happen in Vindi too, as of the latest patch.

Archived