Those from TERA, How is Your Experience?

Jaikun

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quit TERA a looong time ago and I honestly prefer BnS for various reasons.

The story has captivated me way more than TERA, it is a thing that is constantly present and important. I didn't feel like the story in TERA was anything other than a reason for you to go to place X.

I prefer this character creation as well due to the massive amount of options and sliders. It is possible to may more unique characters this way and we're not stuck with everyone having the same body type.

BnS combat is also a big plus. Compared to TERA, this feels so much faster and fluid. I remember getting ani-locked in TERA and dying to it as one of the most annoying things ever. A lot of classes felt like they were responding or casting slowly.

I do miss TERA's graphics style and my cute Elin, but the game quality? Not so much.

The endgame grind always felt the same with recycled boss models and mechanics. I can't really speak for BnS endgame yet, but so far I didn't feel forced to get to 45 as fast as possible. I was able to enjoy the leveling process, story and dungeons along the way.

Region/global chat are essentially the same cancer though. B)

9 hours ago, Callback said:

Never played TERA, but compared to Dragon Nest I have mixed feelings.

The lack of basic hitstun/combo knockback mechanics makes this feel a lot less actiony and more like a MOBA turned MMO.  It relies heavily on hard CC to create actual "combos," and most of that hard CC has escapes available in reaction.  It does have a nice system of different types of blocks/counters and guardbreaks, but with the lack of hitstun finding an actual reliable "combo," especially for pvp, is not nearly as doable as I'd like it to be.

Well the thing i like in bns is that if ur skilled n fast u can escape from almost everything using F or tab plus whatever escapes ur class might provide Q oh man i love my Q skill i lovr my C.

Arena is way more balanced than tera or did u forget tera times with gunners or ppl that played swordsman online in arena vs tong .

Lots of combod u can perform n lots of playstyles just go bk n remember lancers wsrriors etc same boring cpmbos but here u have plenty options n combos ..i love those animation.

The only boring in bns is des bds  spin spin without skill.

If ur lucky n u like to play the 3real classes (sin kfm bm) u gonna have fun ..other classes just crap.

World of bns is so beautifull

Ah, the good ol' TERA days...

The game was really good until Greedforge screwed it up, at least for me. I quit the game then and never looked back.

Blade & Soul is similar, but different at the same time. The combat is faster paced and the PvP is better (in my opinion). I especially like the fact that you can mop the floor with some of the mobs in a hilarious way.

Both games are good, but since TERA (EU) went too far down the path of greed, I gave up on it and I'm sticking full-time to BnS.

Well then:

I’m a very experienced ex-TERA player who had a full +15 Tensus Sorc and played TERA over 3 Years.

I loved TERA because of it’s combat, PvP and it’s looks.

PvE in TERA after Manaya was boring af until ABHM and then SCHM – so overall you had 3 challenges in PvE and all 3 instances got either nerfed or were deleted.

Now lets compare it to BnS:

Combat PvP:

Even though BnS combat system is not really an action combat as TERA it still is the better combat system overall because it relies much more on skill, reaction, escaping in the right moment etc. etc.

In TERA once you are stunned and get a fully buffed fireblast crit in your back it’s over while in BnS once you are stunned you can still escape to prevent damage.

Combat PvE:

InTERA PvE was mostly easymode and you could run those instances nearly blind except for 3-4 dungeons where you really had to dodge things while making enough dmg for not getting killed by the enrage timer.

But if you play the wrong class you are fcked anyway because as a sorc your dps was much worse than the dps of a melee or as a mystic nobody even wants you in your party because of the bad heals.

In BnS PvE atm is also very easymode ( except maaaaybe poh4 ) but things will get damn, damn hard here once Silverfrost Mountain content is being released so prepare your a*** for getting rekt hard ( yeah harder than in TERA ).

Also Holy Trinity as an outdated shit system which is purely reliant on Healers ( this was the case in PvE and PvP in TERA ).

Without the holy trinity system you can get you shit done by yourself without being carried by a pocket healer.

PvP overall:

1vs1 in BnS is really the best PvP mode ever hands down.

3vs3 in TERA was great and skill based too but because of the holy trinity a healer could fck your matches up easily ( if you didn’t play premade ).

3vs3 in BnS is fun but not really competitive because…yeah you probably know why.

Mass PvP (GvG, Fraywind and CS) in TERA  vs Mass PvP ( faction PvP and 6vs6 Battleground ) in BnS should normally go to TERA BUT because of TERAs shitty omptimization bigger GvG fight for example are just utterly retarded ( seeing only gray people teleporting around lel ).

^This is the case with a low end AND high end PC.

So I’ll give it a draw because I see potential in mass PvP in BnS once we hit silverfrost mountain content.

Graphics:

I’ll give it a draw – both look good.

Optimization:

BnS all the way even it isn’t really good it’s miles away from the worst – which is TERA.

Crafting:

Blade and Soul

Fun fact: crafting in TERA wasn’t even a thing until a specific patch was being released and after that it still sucked hard.

P2W aspects:

TERA has unlimited

BnS none so far – even though BnS in China kinda is P2W in PvE.

So overall BnS > TERA by far

And I’m not hating on TERA because I had a really, really great time in it and met a lot of nice people (even met a woman which is now my ex gf lol ) in it but objectively BnS is simply the better game.

In my opinion combat in BnS is a lot better. PvP is way better too. There are a couple things that are annoying me personally in this game and that is the controls that I'm used to in Tera and other action mmos and the lack of key-binds and certain options.

-I have a mouse with two buttons on the left side that I use in Tera as [Mouse button 4] [Mouse button 5]. I use those for quick pop-up spells but it wont register as a bind, I've already tried.

-Hate the fact that the ESC key overlaps with the toggle-mouse and I honestly wish that toggle-mouse can be registered for ALT.

-I  wish that we can move spells around in our action bar and that the 2nd action bar would stay on rather than hiding when combat is over.

-I kinda don't like how panning my mouse around in BnS mode moves character's direction. I wish it would just stick with moving the camera instead of my "character and camera" or have an option for it. The reason this annoys me is because it makes kiting mobs around as a force master a little slow. I want to have my camera pointed at my target but I also want my character running back and not walking backwards which movement is slow that way.

-This one I have to say is probably what I really want them give us a key-bind for. That is those spells that require you to "Double press" which annoys the hell out of me as a force master, especially with the [S]+[S]=Backstep dodge. As well as [W][W] for sprinting and a key-bind option for something else other than holding "Shift"

-Lastly, I have to stop moving to auto-run. I hates that lol

Either way, BnS in my opinion alot fun than Tera, but then again Tera has its own charms. I love the gliding in this game

Only level 20 so far... But OMG, the leveling in this game is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING.

Even if I've only played for an hour, it feels like I've been going at it for 5. TERA leveling was grinding mobs, and soloing dungeons, and because of having good combat system, it was reasonably fun, and an hour felt like an hour (or less).

The combat so far has been quite unsatisfying, it's like GW2 (never played it, but I know how it works), but with skill interaction, but might rely more on lock-on "WoW mechanics". The movement in the game is mainly artificial, it doesn't matter all that much, only thing that matters is your distance,

I need action combat, after playing TERA, it's so hard to be satisfied with anything other than action combat. But, because of how badly gameforge handeled TERA, you were more or less forced to play on NA servers, which meant 120ms+ ping (not that it's better in BnS, the rubber banding is INSANE, you can barely move around, and skills won't even work properly... And that's with "30ms" - Maybe it gets better when the population decreases).

Also, there are so few skills in this game, which is a bit lame, I enjoyed my 20+ useful skills. All the classes in blade and soul are pretty boring as well, I think because there's so few skills, there isn't as much distinction between classes, they all pretty much have the same mechanics presented in a different way.

I'll have to wait until I'm 45, and PvPed. It may not be all that bad for the 1v1 PvP, but I'm not really that type of player, I enjoy teams a lot more.

It seems though, both TERA and BnS suffer from having absolutely no end game content.

1 hour ago, Envy said:

BnS combat is also a big plus. Compared to TERA, this feels so much faster and fluid. I remember getting ani-locked in TERA and dying to it as one of the most annoying things ever. A lot of classes felt like they were responding or casting slowly.

That's the point of action combat, to have animation lock.

Kinda have to chime in here again to slightly derail this thread (Sorry in advanced). Some people in here say the holy trinity system in mmos is outdated and crap which to be honest I don't really understand. I mean I get some games can take it too far from an objective standpoint like for example FFXI were you pretty much needed a group for everything, which could very well mean you couldn't lvl your job because well there was no tank or healer available at the time so you were pretty much out of luck.

And while I still hold very dear memories of that game I can easily admit that while I really loved lvling in that game with a party and all the different jobs it was really hard for most players to get anything done. (talking about the time lvl 75 was still cap)

The thing hard thing to do for developer is to add ways for players to enjoy the game if not all roles can be filled, which I think is probably the hardest thing to do. But I still feel strongly about that the system adds alot more strategy to the combat if done right. But that also takes effort. Just having tanks dps and healers doesn't make the combat more enjoyable, because if its just bland boss hits tank while dps does their rotation and healer spams heals nobody is really happy. Since I can only take from experience I have to take FFXIV currently as an example that does most of the things right in term of combat design. Most of the harder bosses have abilities that target the specific roles making everyone have to pay attention to what is actually going on. So not all fights can be done on auto pilot which tbh makes the combat more fun for everyone (subjective :P).

All in all what I want to say is while the trinity system itself isn't outdated developers just need to add ways to make the most out of it.

Now tab targeting that this is an outdated concept. :P (Couldn't resist)

And again sorry OP for going on a tangent here.

PvP - BnS hands down. I hated the desync in Tera, that feeling when half of your combo is gone just cause reasons.

PvE - (For now, maybe this will change) I like Tera's pve better, maybe because I'm used to it. There are boss mechanics that I don't fully understand/read and I get rekt without knowing what to do until I figure it out through trial and error and get the attack to the face like 10 more times or read a guide + my ping is a little higher and I don't always get the clutch ss or combined attacks. Content wise? BnS cause it's something new and not recycled bams lol

Tera combat system is better, but class balance (the new brawler class is absolutely rtrded overpowered), framerate/optimization are horrible.

BnS gives you cool feels when eploring with the massive jumps, running on water etc.

Big bad side is either the lack of customizable keybinds, or very confusing customization, haven't figured out how to change some actions' keybinds yet..

tera :

bad optimization

bad fps with i5 2600k @4.5ghz and gtx 970 sli

boring end game

stupid rng box

recycled old content

OP new classes

Weak old classes

but it does have some that i love like

holy trinity

monster turning around animation which is cool, in bns monster just snap and turn instantly

account wide gold in 1 server

2 char slot in each server

account wide bank in 1 server

so far i haven't miss tera, and i like bns more.

12 hours ago, Callback said:

Never played TERA, but compared to Dragon Nest I have mixed feelings.

The lack of basic hitstun/combo knockback mechanics makes this feel a lot less actiony and more like a MOBA turned MMO.  It relies heavily on hard CC to create actual "combos," and most of that hard CC has escapes available in reaction.  It does have a nice system of different types of blocks/counters and guardbreaks, but with the lack of hitstun finding an actual reliable "combo," especially for pvp, is not nearly as doable as I'd like it to be.

Think so tool, I find the sensation of impact hitting in this game are certainly lacking. Auto targeting, evasion are all contradict to what we called 'action' as well.

Also played TERA as last MMO a few years back. Blade and Soul's strong point is definitely the fluid combat system and the character creator (even though Black Desert beats it by far), on every other aspects im kinda let down so far. Quests are generic to the max, i mean there is not even a slight sign of innovation here but at least they managed to create less questchaos than TERA.

The PvP area in the desert was a nice touch until a 45er came by and oneshotted every lvl lvl~30 character over and over, solution leave quest and put on neutral armor.

Even the visuals are cut in half compared to TERA so every potatoe can run it. It felt like most areas are mainly flat areas with a few assets sparsley placed everywhere. TERA had so much more visual appeal and style than Blade and Soul. I bought the student pack for 7 days premium and i am really curious if this game gets stale fast. Afaik there isn't even a max level yet right?

I havent read into BnS i just started, but i guess we get the same 3yo game that ther asians had. Also i frequent Reckful's stream and all he does in doing duels over and over .. is THAT the endgame content or what?

For me this game wins hands down over Tera for one essential reason:

Open World PVP and RP reasons for it.

Tera PVP really had no well explained open world PVP (unless you played specifically on a 'PVP' server) and there were no real in game roleplay reasons for the conflicts between players.

In Blade and Soul, each faction has a reason to fight each other that fits in the storyline and you as the player can choose which to support based on the motivations of the character you have created and play..thus there is much more freedom in that.  The option to engage in PVP by equipping a factional uniform is also a nice touch, as it allows you to avoid 'griefing' situations in open world where an overpowered advantage by a higher level character or the like would be unavoidable in other games, such as Tera.

That, coupled with the combat / class system that lets you be a 'hero' (or villain) without needing a pocket healer / tank / dps to support you makes this game one that I will play over Tera.

If you want to compare TERA to BnS well, IMO, We should be talking about PRE-F2P TERA 

TERA PRE-F2P Was amazing,

1. Didn't really see any gold spammers ( except early days from release ).

2. BAM's and not just using left click x left click to kill mobs.

3. Able to pull map and kill everything ( especially fun in a party "duo or trio" ) and not simply just 1 hit monsters but evade dodge and roll constantly.

4. No Legendary drops and +3 to +5 drops from bosses.

5. Dungeons with tank healer and dps was nice ( wish they had more dungeons ) because healing was "Different" Tanking was a constant battle of blocking atks and dashing out aggro.

6. NO LAG ( sorry for cap but oh my god ) pre f2p terra was smooth and fluid, no rubber banding and no high ping. except main cities.

7. When Solo'ing a BAM or Group of hard monsters, I was always like F*** YEAH I stayed alive, I defeated it and happy about your " MAD SKILLS" Especially on my Priest.

8. Skills that supplements your roll/dodge/block. like push back or jump back, charge and such

9. When initiating a fight, Boss, Bam, or a Good group of mobs, You had to stay focus and get into the fight with your character.

10. Ani-lock or Animation lock wasn't really an issue back in the day ( I think ) you just had to time yourself with the fights and look at the mob and after a while you got the hang of his "Mechanics" ( that word is probably dead in MMO today ) 

Yes the F2P Version of Terra ( IMO ) is now completely ruined, rushing levels, rushing gear, +3 to +5 drops, legendary weapon drops at what lvl 10 or lvl 20 ???? ( pieces drop and you need 8 to make a weapon ), don't remember. Lag, lag and lag spikes, Dungeons now in terra is pretty much Gunner Gunner Brawler and a brave soul that plays another class. Intro got nerfed like 2 times and then a completely new intro was made and was cut in half. more lags. 

Now For Blade And Soul.

1. The NPC annoy the F*** out of me, The I'm a hero look at me, your just a noob, I planned it from the start then you see them whimpering in a corner in another cut scene.

2. Combat feels Glitchy, Maybe I'm not used to it yet, maybe I need more practice. but I don't feel weight in my attacks, classes that are suppose to be Rapid game play doesn't feel fast paced ( probably because I don't have time to play with my character as mobs die after left click - right click - right click combo ) 

3. Only 2 character slots is kinda low for my taste, Not saying have 16 character slots or 32 but a good 4 slots and then buy extra would be better IMO

4. to many servers, Population is gonna be to spread out and server merge will happen

5. Everything is a cut scene

6. I tend to lag but might be due to settings ( testing that out now )

Ill play more to see how things goes

B&S now is better than current Terra 

but OLD terra is FAR Superior IMHO

My experiences are great as far as I'm concerned especially because of the small details put into the game.

Free movement combat

Manual aerial steering

Running without the need of mounts

Decent soundtrack

and other things I can't think of at the moment.

I'm also a sucker for adorable, and love playing Lyns. I'm glad they made them not gender exclusive, versus the Elins. Besides, Lyns look significantly more awesome than their baby-making hip counterparts.

Blade and Soul is a much better game. Tera pushes the limits of Unreal Engine and has a huge open world feel to it that only half works. Blade and Soul seems to know the limits of it's engine and stays inside them far better than Tera ever has. Combat in Blade in Soul feels fantastic and more polished/balanced than Tera. There are a lot of little things about Tera that keep me from ever taking that game too seriously and for the most part Blade and Soul manages to dodge those problems. My two cents.

Well as a fashionista, i love fashion and also having more freedom to design my character. I love how i can reall make my character unique a lot more then Tera. Though I love Tera, Blade and Soul is easier to understand and deal with. However, I like the hit/aim box in Tera more. I really do enjoy the fashions to be honest, I can dress sexy, be sexy and act it as my character, i dont care who or what has something against me in it. 

I played TERA on and off for a while. I prefer BnS. It's wuxia themed but a better story and easier to follow, and has less traditional classes but more fluid feeling combat. 300% better character customization (along with better models in general) and classes that aren't gender locked. I was always unhappy with how static and 2d the world felt also. Lyn > Elin. /shudder

Copy/paste from another thread:

17 hours ago, SilentCaay said:

Speaking as a level 12 player with no interest in PvP, some parts are slightly better than TERA while some parts are slightly worse. Overall, I think TERA is slightly better but I've also played it to death so I'll have some fun with BaS for now.

+ Questing is a bit more fun. Way fewer "Kill a stupid number of X" quests and even when you do have a kills quest, it's not nearly as grindy. Also, nothing quite spices up a kills quest like being given a damn flamethrower or shotgun to complete the quest with (ok, they called it a speargun but, let's be real, it was a shotgun skinned to look like a speargun). I was actually sad when that quest ended and usually you're like "finally!" when you finish a long kills quest.

+ Combat is a little more brutal. In TERA you're really only threaten by BAMs and bosses at or above your level while in BaS normal enemies can bang you up a bit if you aren't careful. You also can't spam tons of healing pots here.

+ You can heal outside of battle with food... And your character actually sits down and eats it... And as a Lyn I am *cricket* adorable doing it. <3

- Combat isn't nearly as solid. TERA's enemies have impact and a physical presence while these enemies you just dance around/through and give/take damage pretty much at random. I mean, when an enemy telegraphs an overhead swing I expect the damage to be delivered in a narrow arc in front of them so when I dodge around to their back and still take damage I feel that there's no real point in dodging.

- Combat controls are kind of clunky. I have a Razer Naga and in TERA I set all my controls to the number pad on the side of it and those are my controls. Period. The end. In BaS you have a partial hotbar and a second hotbar that sometimes appears, you have skills that are sometimes there and sometimes contextually replaced with other skills, you have Q and E... It's not hard to use it's just not as intuitive.

- A lot of the costumes aren't to my style and nothing is dyeable so I feel the customization is fairly limited. TERA also has a retail box that gives you 8 char slots per server, a fully unlocked bank and a bunch of other goodies for like $15-20 while BaS has no such value bundle.

Archived