Server Freeze and DC

babeln

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another server crash. What I don't understand is why they are barely saying anything about this issue, all they said yesterday it was that they were investigating. Considering that all NCSOFT games have been like this since yesterday (Aion, Lineage, Wildstar, GW2) and that GW2 actually said they were having issues due to DDOS attacks (GW2 Twitter statement), I would assume it's the same case for the entire platform.

got 3rd daily dc, trying to do dc

boo

whoever mentioned tera has problems too, no, their servers are perfectly fine, so its just ncsoft, so its not any global ddos whatever, as some white knights paint here!

+ this is probably first 5day (or more to come) ddos ever

6 minutes ago, xSonatax said:

Another server crash. What I don't understand is why they are barely saying anything about this issue, all they said yesterday it was that they were investigating. Considering that all NCSOFT games have been like this since yesterday (Aion, Lineage, Wildstar, GW2) and that GW2 actually said they were having issues due to DDOS attacks (GW2 Twitter statement), I would assume it's the same case for the entire platform.

5days in row? without solution hmmm i am anti tech but thats record in history i believe

Yeah, I'm not blaming NCWest on this anymore.  This is a specific attack on NCWest and it shouldn't happen.  People just shrug it off, but something needs to be done at a govt level.  The people responsible need to be found and held accountable.

6 minutes ago, Yolie said:

Yeah, I'm not blaming NCWest on this anymore.  This is a specific attack on NCWest and it shouldn't happen.  People just shrug it off, but something needs to be done at a govt level.  The people responsible need to be found and held accountable.

theres no solution, no protection against this?

Solution or protection?  Well, if it is like most of attacks of this type these days the attacking IPs are coming from China.  It's a race.  How many can they block before new ones show up?  That is my bare bones understanding of it.  How do you stop that?  And what is more, how do you trace this back to find the responsible party or parties?

17 minutes ago, xSonatax said:

Arenanet devs GW2, not NCSoft. Funny that they've been the only NC *published* game thats admitted to ddos. The NC dev'd games, (lineage, aion, wildstar, bns...have simply been, (experiencing technical difficulties and are investigating.)

Thanks for the heads up NC...

In recent years, DDoS attacks have become increasingly common. They've existed for quite some time now, but are being used more and more as a form of cyber warfare.

What is a DDoS Attack?

I won't pretend to be the most techno-savvy person in the world, and I only really understand it myself in the broadest sense. DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support...newsflash.html

Essentially it boils down to a person, or people, coordinating a massive number of computers (usually compromised computers) to send requests or pings on a scale that the receiving server cannot handle, resulting in a website or webservice being either heavily slowed or brought offline altogether.

Why do people do this?

For the same reasons that people have hacked into highly secure servers and databases. For the same reason that people have distributed and utilized viruses.

It can be a revenge thing. A banned gamer might do it as a way to get back at the host company for banning him. It can also be "just because we can", a show of power, or simply thumbing one's nose at the authorities, as seems to have been the case for the "Derp" group that ran large scale DDoS attacks on several games some months back.

There is no single unifying reason as to why its done, and in any given DDoS attack, you would have to know who is behind the attack before you can really know why they're doing it.

Can DDoS attacks be prevented or stopped?

In short, no, not really. As the cisco link above lays out, there are measures that can be taken that may or may not stop an attack, depending on they type of attack underway (the cisco page specifically points to SYN request type attacks, but there are other types), the scale of the attack, and the infrastructure of the server being attacked. Google or Amazon would be much harder to take down with DDoS attacks than gaming servers like NCsoft hosts due to their massive budget and infrastructure allowing incredibly high bandwidth.

How do I recognize that a DDoS attack is underway, rather than problems sourcing from the server itself?

If the server itself is suffering internal issues, you may see some initial "lag" just before a crash, but following the crash, the servers generally stay offline for longer periods of time in order to find and address issues before bringing servers back online.

During a DDoS attack, you'll see sudden massive spikes in ping, resulting in skills becoming non responsive, "rubber banding" of your character if you're attempting to run, etc. Less resource intensive content like the chat window may (and usually does) suffer less lag than the gameplay. Expect through a ping check to suddenly have numbers in the thousands, or even millions. Players will be forced off the server (disconnects) in large numbers if the attack persists (and it always does), if the server is not crashed entirely. Once the attack ceases, there is commonly no delay in bringing the servers online, as the problem was not with the servers themselves, but rather came from an outside source.

What can I do during a DDoS attack?

Be patient. If at all possible, avoid adding to the server load. I know its tempting to attempt to immediately log back in (I find myself doing it too), but while under attack, the load on a server is tremendous, and you're only making it worse by attempting to access the servers during this time. Understand that the host company is not to blame (at least not directly in the case of a revenge motivated attack), and that they will have the game back online as soon as they're able. Unfortunately, waiting an attack out is all that can really be done. Getting angry at NCsoft during a DDoS Attack is misplacing the blame, and doesn't really help anything.

1 hour ago, AionCheesecake said:

ok but has anyone officially stated, if its server fail, or ddos or anything?

just freaking dced all party at tomb 4man boss 10perc hp...

some statement, some bit of communication would be really cool

if its ddos 5days mega attack, ok, what to expect, if better not play at all, cuz this is really waste of time for nothing

6 minutes ago, Meginb said:

If they would at least say, we're trying or something, I wouldn't be this pissed. Other publishers and developers at least admit when there's something wrong and try to offer updates on what's up.... total silence from NC.

They already posted a statement that something is wrong. Can't give an update if obviously nothing has changed.

9 minutes ago, Regatz said:

Guild Wars 2 is ArenaNet. It is not NCsoft - never has been and never will be.

wasnt it originally ncsoft, and anet took over? think so

8 minutes ago, Regatz said:

They already posted a statement that something is wrong. Can't give an update if obviously nothing has changed.

thats freakin obvious tho, everyone sees that... some bit of comunication would be cool

53 minutes ago, Regatz said:

Guild Wars 2 is ArenaNet. It is not NCsoft - never has been and never will be.

I'm sorry to tell you but GW2 was developed by Arenanet and published by NCSOFT. Just like Wildstar was developed by Carbine and published by NCSOFT, the same way Blade and Soul was developed by Bloodlust and published by NCSOFT. Etc Etc

31 minutes ago, Regatz said:

As I've said probably 5 times already, I'll try to clarify:

THIS IS NOT A DDoS ATTACK.

IT IS A ROUTING ISSUE CAUSED BY THE NETWORK INFRASTRUCTURE BACKBONE MALFUNCTIONING.

LOUD NOISES.

courtesy of Level3.

Honestly Level3 as a company shouldn't even exist with how long they go before fixing faulty hardware, and also all the issues they have in general.

Like I said earlier, doesn't NCSofts ISP have control over which back-end routing companies they connect through?

Though this is all Level3's fault, if we're being routed through them due to NCSofts (Or NCSofts ISP's) choice, then honestly they are at fault too for choosing the cheapest and least reliable back-end routing provider. Level3's been known to be trash-tier for a long time.

A lot of the people who've been experiencing latency and connectivity issues in BNS since beta, have been because of being routed through Level3.

Archived