Server Freeze and DC

babeln

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few Radware DDoS appliances at your gateway solves this instantly - forever. https://www.radware.com/underattack/

I personally know of some of the largest e-commerce companies in the world running these - without traditional enterprise firewalls at the gateway at all.

Security is always an afterthought. It's about weighing the cost of an outage to the cost of protecting against one. Most companies don't see the cost of an outage until it happens, and they traditionally forget about damages to their brand when measuring those risks.

Then again, you have to care about your brand in the first place.

1 hour ago, Meese said:

Careful... threads like this are ripe for the picking...

I can already hear the white knights approaching.

Wuuuut!? Demand a working game from a game developer?

Madness...MADNESS!

If EA has taught us anything, it's that all you need for a successful game in 2016 is a "Big Name" on the box, and some snazzy you tube trailers. The sheep will happily hand you their cash afterwards, whether the game actually works or not.  

Should anyone "get out of line" and demand a working game, well our dedicated zealots otherwise known as "white knights" will gleefully and willfully defend our honor, at no additional cost.

Well, I'm a big fan of BnS because of the combat.  It is really that simple.  It keeps me coming back and with the changes making this game more alt friendly I'm possibly more hooked now than ever.

But, today's experience has been a bad one.  Really bad.  I rank it right up there with the ArchAge debacles during launch and the introduction of new zones.  The disconnects make it really hard to love this game right now and while I'm not one to rage quit or even ask for compensation for time lost, my frustration level is rising.

I tried to complete the dailies but there is no point.  Can't get through Gloom with out disconnecting or having others disconnecting.  Disappointing.

So, sure, I get it.  DDoS attacks.  I suffered through them before, but at this point you might as well take the players offline and sort it out because making players angrier and angrier isn't accomplishing anything.

So, I'm off to play RO beta.  No, not as an replacement because to be honest I really don't have plans on switching.  I got the beta key for free, so hey, why not use it right?  And yet, I have to say that days like today do have me thinking about other games.

NCwest,  say something.  Give us an indication that you are working on this.  Use a little PR and make players feel good about enduring this.  Right now... it is only getting worse.  On a day when we should be enjoying our first Raid, we are instead here on the forums bitching about the game.  That is not a good sign, trust me.

This is seriously getting frustrating!! Server crashed earlier today while we were killing Longgui 5 stars!!! So I took a few hours break hoping that the problem will be solved and now I can't even get my daily challenge done. Meaning, I will be missing a lot of progress, especially with the Lunar Twilight Plants. I honestly think NA should do something similar to CN, give some compensation items (Lunar Twilight Plants x5 would be good ) for their server inconvenience...

24 minutes ago, Mortal Kombat said:

What do those games have in common? All similar, and direct competitors to..."RO". Hmm...

Me thinks a plot is afoot...

Oh wait nevermind Tera's servers are actually up and running, no lag present. Fine job by those guys.

NC games however...well...

Derp.

Herp.

2 hours ago, Brunark said:

Not their fault here, it's a massive DDOS attack hitting multiple games from what I hear, Guild Wars 2, TERA, L2, Aion, and probably more.

We know it is not their fault. Lets say today I organise an outdoor event and something happened so I have to cancel it. It is only basic courtesy to rearrange it on another date right? Especially if some of them paid for the event.

I will quote Rokusan & SnuggleFarie again. They are the only ones who seem to make sense at this topic.

2 hours ago, Rokusan said:

Most sensible compensation would be to just extend the midnight madness event.

1 hour ago, SnugglesFairie said:

I wish they would at least extend the events by a day or 2.  That way it will make up for those who couldn't do anything today and probably tomorrow.

Even though I adore this game's combat and style, this server quality is so poor I could barely get online long enough to open my troves on all my alts and try the daily challenge. I don't know what BnS can do to fix it because I literally would have spent the over 3 hours I was trying to log in once to level and play and actually do things to progress in this game. I hope they read this and promise some kind of compensation, because this is  awful and I had spent all day looking forward to trying the new content and doing my other daily tasks. I've given up for the night and going to look for other games to play. BnS as a warning please fix this, I enjoy your game and want to give it the benefit of the doubt but I can't spend 30 mins in a row getting the same error to pass that and get another error for 1 hour.

Everyone needs to stop going ballistic about the BnS update botching connectivity, their servers or DDoS attacks/prevention etc.

The infrastructure backbone that the BnS servers in Dallas are behind is/was failing. That infrastructure is owned by external companies like Level 3, who is extremely notorious in the IT realm for incredibly lax delays on fixing their equipment. These companies run monopoly on the infrastructure and it's not something anyone can "choose". I don't expect everyone to know this as you'd need to have experience with infrastructure in order to be aware, but it's a very important concept to remember as a gamer.

While intermittent connectivity may share some appearances as DDoS, it's not what's happening here. Faulty equipment does the same. Several other services from other games/companies have been affected by this as well during the past 12 hours.

In short, the timing sucked with it happening right during the release of the update but these connection issues were happening as early as 4 hours before the servers even  came down for maintenance. Please don't bandwagon onto assumptions without looking into a situation entirely and coming to your own -informed- conclusion.

It's Anonymous. They're angry at Wikileaks for rigging the US Elections at the behest of the Yakuza and the Russian Mafia/Bratva before THEY could at the urging of the Illuminati and the Chinese Triad. Meanwhile, somewhere in Latin America, Drug Lords continue to plot-in conjunction with the Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy-to get certain "Outsider" Candidates and Lobbyists into positions of power. There will be many nights of the long knives in D.C. these next few days and weeks. There will indeed be blood.

Elsewhere, in Lille, France, Michelle Zhivago wonders why Blade and Soul won't work on her 3 year old €500,00 potato computer and dial-up service provided by Minitel. Baffling!

Nothing else to do, I ponder the excessive length of American Presidential Elections. "Fools! I told them this would happen." I pause to grab a handful of E, (I can't take the hard stuff after THIS assignment.), from a crystal dish tucked into the secretaire and choke them down with a warm swallow of Champagne from a bottle that had rolled under the end table, left over from last night's celebrations. One last satisfying glance at the post election news, provided 24-7, I flick off the TV. "Enjoy the Nantucket Sleigh ride to Crazy Town." I think as I go out for the day. My mission, to bring chaos to the erstwhile "Good Guys" a success, I must report to my Dark Master. Will I be rewarded with an ecstasy I have never felt? Pleasures the likes of which  that no mere mortal has yet experienced? Or with pain the likes of which no Vampire-Witch can resist? 

Archived