Server Freeze and DC

babeln

http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?p=2068178#post2068178

As you may be aware, our network has been affected by distributed denial of service (DDOS). We've been working to mitigate a DDOS attack directed at our game services, which has impacted game connections, stability, and login.

We're continuing to work to control the impact of these attacks, and we appreciate your understanding and continued patience.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can make a VERY long post about the time I dc-ed and the number of ppl I saw dcing, but lets get to the point. NC is a how many million dollar company?.... don't tell me the cant get a decent trace on where the issue is and inform the players. Its the structural denial that has for long been their strategy to handle issues. I played AION for a very long time and it was also always the same crap, you never get an answer (we all know the plz do check your ISP...) . this kind of "businessstrategy" might work in korea, but in the "west" I would to think that the biggest thing to destroy your company is to lie. people might consider it part of the deal in an election for president of the US, but lying is just a very effective way to kill your business.....

• NCSOFT

Hello everyone,

We have made an announcement on the network instabilities here. Below is the quoted post for easier reference:

8 minutes ago, Liinxy said:

As you may be aware, our network has been affected by distributed denial of service (DDOS). We've been working to mitigate a DDOS attack directed at our game services, which has impacted game connections, stability, and login.

We're continuing to work to control the impact of these attacks, and we appreciate your understanding and continued patience.

2 hours ago, Kami Sama said:

courtesy of Level3.

Honestly Level3 as a company shouldn't even exist with how long they go before fixing faulty hardware, and also all the issues they have in general.

Like I said earlier, doesn't NCSofts ISP have control over which back-end routing companies they connect through?

Though this is all Level3's fault, if we're being routed through them due to NCSofts (Or NCSofts ISP's) choice, then honestly they are at fault too for choosing the cheapest and least reliable back-end routing provider. Level3's been known to be trash-tier for a long time.

A lot of the people who've been experiencing latency and connectivity issues in BNS since beta, have been because of being routed through Level3.

See, and this, is why I consider NCSoft "trash-tier". They go as cheap as possible in order to maximize profits. Performance be damned.

The Aion website literally stopped working 3 years ago. Never bothered to fix it. Just take a look at this forum? Basic, barebones...cheap. A bootleg routing hub in "Level3", (which finally explains why at some point some years ago in Aion, and since launch in BnS, their servers have suffered from some of the worst latency spikes Ive ever experienced in gaming. Like literally dating back to 56k modem connection years bad.) Yet they have zero compunction when it comes to nickle and diming us to death.

We're a cash cow for Korea, nothing more. Otherwise an afterthought. This DDoS attack is a result. 

Boggles the mind how any one can white knight this company, and they are out there.

@Regatz You are wrong saying publisher has no control. And regardless of the developer, GW2 is running on the PUBLISHER platform, hence is ALSO suffering from the DDOS along with Aion L2 and the rest. So what's irrelevant here is your comment, you lost track of the point it seems, since this has NOTHING to do with the developers. Do you see anyone talking about Bloodlust??? NCsoft is NOT bns developer, is the publisher, and the DDOS attacks are directed to their ENTIRE platform.

1 hour ago, xSonatax said:

I'm sorry to tell you but GW2 was developed by Arenanet and published by NCSOFT. Just like Wildstar was developed by Carbine and published by NCSOFT, the same way Blade and Soul was developed by Bloodlust and published by NCSOFT. Etc Etc

Publishers have 0 control of the internal working of developers or their internal processes. Publishers make money off their distribution of the game - that's it. Any attempts to tie NCsoft into a shared issue between two completely different companies is incorrect.

Again, GW2 is ArenaNet. It is not NCsoft. Publishing is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Kayama said:

well there you have it folks DDoS....... could have told us sooner  and avoid all the pointless rage spam.

2 hours ago, Liinxy said:

Hello everyone,

We have made an announcement on the network instabilities here. Below is the quoted post for easier reference:

The only experience that players have had this entire time has been connection continuity. When they're logged in, the performance is stable. "Official statement" or not, it's not DDoS. If this were DDoS, players would be slowed to a crawl in-game, rubberbanding, failed logins at screen, experience absurd ping rates etc. It would literally be unplayable, even if you were able to log-in.

Just because you have a DOS issue does not mean that it's an attack being initiated by malicious software/individuals. C'mon guys.

1 minute ago, Meginb said:

Uh, all those symptoms you listed ARE there in game.

None of them have been reported by anyone from what I have seen. My own personal experience for all of yesterday and today (as well as at least 30 other people in NA) experience 100% verifies that those symptoms do not exist server wide. If this was DDoS, they would be.

awesome i log in do my trove spin and go use one of my free infinity tower tickets then ms gets to over 500s start floor 28  i get a sin  and he just screws with me can't even kill me and i can't attack so for the entire time i just sit there for 3 minutes then i lose and goodbye my tower ticket this is such absolute bs this is a billion dollar company they make so much money off of us and they cannot even fix this shit seriously no excuse i love this game but theses after patch bs is inexcusable especially since this is the second day.  So come one spend some money upgrade ur servers do something this is inexcusable for a billion dollar company

16 minutes ago, Regatz said:

If this were DDoS, players would be slowed to a crawl in-game, rubberbanding, failed logins at screen, experience absurd ping rates etc. It would literally be unplayable, even if you were able to log-in.

With how many disconnects and lag spikes there are, it is a crawl. Rubberbanding, check. When you can get the login menu to work in the first place, check, I'm getting login fails right now. Absurd ping rates, double check, this last disconnect showed me at 8700 before finally dropping me out of the game.

4 minutes ago, xSonatax said:

yeah we are all in the same boat. Just ignore that guy, even when they are making it official in each game, he still doesn't even want to acknowledge it as DDOS. He can't play, he is bored so he has nothing better to do than to get in the forum to contradict everyone including the community managers. 

I'm not bored, I've just worked netsec and infrastructure for 15 years (CCNA, CISM, N+) and find it extremely problematic when everyone screams and bandwagons on the DDoS train when they don't even know the actual symptoms.

But that's fine. Ignore and do as you will. Misidentifying a problem doesn't help resolve it, regardless of how much it appeals to the masses.

6 minutes ago, Meginb said:

With how many disconnects and lag spikes there are, it is a crawl. Rubberbanding, check. When you can get the login menu to work in the first place, check, I'm getting login fails right now. Absurd ping rates, double check, this last disconnect showed me at 8700 before finally dropping me out of the game.

yeah we are all in the same boat. Just ignore that guy, even when they are making it official in each game, he still doesn't even want to acknowledge it as DDOS. He can't play, he is bored so he has nothing better to do than to get in the forum to contradict everyone including the community managers. 

I just don't understand. Regardless of who, what, how, or why this is happening. The real question is why it took NC so long  to generate a thread and sticky it to inform all the players in this forum, that what is going on. And their 1st official response took them ~24 hrs to make? Like no one had the time to log on their admin acct and make ONE sentence to us all?

Btw, I know one of the mods reply to either this or anther thread, but that doesn't count.

Edit grammar error

Archived