Samurai Armor? lol

ARC1276

Okay so I've been waiting for something like this for a while so I can make my male characters look like a bad ass but I noticed one small problem when I was trying it out on my female character. Actually it's a huge open problem. It almost seemed like something was missing on the female version of the armor.

hdZFlH6.jpg?1

r0su5Ax.jpg?1

You noticed something about it that's different? Oh yeah that's right, THE *cricket*ING CHEST PLATE IS MISSING ON GIRLS! And not just that! It looks like a Samurai themed dress! Like WTF?! The male version gets literally everything you expect from armor while the girl's version of it is degraded to a cheap dress.

The worst part is that it's consistent throughout all the races. Listen I know people probably won't care and all but this is a *cricket*ing armor set and I'm honestly pissed off that they couldn't have just left the female version untampered and not sexualized. Like seriously what kind of Samurai goes into battle without a freaking chest plate or freaking leg plates? It's just a flat out insult to anyone who's actually bothered with studying this stuff and was looking forward to looking awesome in combat while appearing to be covered and protected. 

All I ask is to put a freaking chest piece on the female version of this outfit. I mean all the other outfits I've seen so far have treated genders equally and logically but this is just really bothering me. I don't care that it looks nice, it's just wrong.

38 minutes ago, Nixonld said:

And women running around fighting in bikinis and heels is ultra realistic too

loled way to much at this comment...

1 hour ago, ARC1276 said:

Okay so I've been waiting for something like this for a while so I can make my male characters look like a bad ass but I noticed one small problem when I was trying it out on my female character. Actually it's a huge open problem. It almost seemed like something was missing...

Yeap, you missed the face mask lel

I agree with most of the points over the female version of the costume, but as a living, breathing samurai of the Showa era, I have to clear up some things. This is a Korean mmorpg, which typically, are overly-stylized and rarely meant to even appear "realistic". Not all samurai wore armor. The "dress" is actually a pair of pants called "hakama", which were used to provide the illusion of floating - it hides your footwork, in various budo, kendo, and aikido stances. In hapkido, which is like a Korean version of the Japanese aikido, they use similar gear sometimes. This game even has Kung fu masters... I also practice and teach different styles of Kung fu, and I rarely see ACTUAL Kung fu being practiced by the characters in BNS. Anyway, as I said - this game is meant to be stylized, and not always very realistic. The artists' various sources of inspiration do not always include actual, genuine nor thorough research in the subject matter. It's like taking a Mortal Kombat game's lore too seriously, or even the cultural craziness within Street Fighter.

Okay let's get this cleared up now: not all of the female bodies depicted in BnS are unrealistic. Not even all the player made bodies either. Some are rarely seen but are not unrealistic in real life. 

I know this is a fantasy game and not everything has to be super unrealistic. And if you're going to put in something that has roots in reality be sure that it's consistent with its purpose of origin. If I see knight armor I expect it to be knight armor on everyone who's wearing it. Not this cute and bad cosplay. Also...I wasn't really looking careful at the legs though I probably should have not said dress because even I can see that it was anything but.

Inevidebly it is a pretty minor thing but it sorta just bugs me a lil inside when I try to say this game is not sexist and then I see sh!t like this.

Stuff like this is just more reason for people to say BnS is sexist. But honestly at this point I've just accepted that.

9 minutes ago, ARC1276 said:

Okay let's get this cleared up now: not all of the female bodies depicted in BnS are unrealistic. Not even all the player made bodies either. Some are rarely seen but are not unrealistic in real life. 

I know this is a fantasy game and not everything has to be super unrealistic. And if you're going to put in something that has roots in reality be sure that it's consistent with its purpose of origin. If I see knight armor I expect it to be knight armor on everyone who's wearing it. Not this cute and bad cosplay. Also...I wasn't really looking careful at the legs though I probably should have not said dress because even I can see that it was anything but.

Inevidebly it is a pretty minor thing but it sorta just bugs me a lil inside when I try to say this game is not sexist and then I see sh!t like this.

Stuff like this is just more reason for people to say BnS is sexist. But honestly at this point I've just accepted that.

Nah, just look this artwork. It doesn't have much Samurai element, but still make people think of Samurai, just by the shoulder, and still elegant and sexy.

16c6915f324024c8619f22e7a55906ed.jpg

Having bad design on female characters are just a proof of how lack of creativity the design team is. Without the helmet, people wonder if the female character wear some kind of rags.

If they cannot find a way to make it look different from male armor, why not just give them the same design and have booby chest guard. Lyn girl and boy would look the same in the armor, though.

Or they can go with bikini armor. I believe people won't complain much.

Or they can go with different theme for the same armor. For example, it's Samurai armor design on male character, but female ninja design on female characters. Just rename it to something like "Garb from Land of the Sun", and we're done. This happens to the General/Empress outfit already.

Doubtful they can put a chest piece on the females.  The outfit is already done in other regions.  Also, this isn't a game that takes place on Earth, so this Samurai armor does not have to look the same between the genders at all.

Also, I'm not sure I'd say the design is bad.  It may not appeal to everyone for sure, but for that, just don't buy the armor :p

42 minutes ago, Brand X said:

Doubtful they can put a chest piece on the females.  The outfit is already done in other regions.  Also, this isn't a game that takes place on Earth, so this Samurai armor does not have to look the same between the genders at all.

Also, I'm not sure I'd say the design is bad.  It may not appeal to everyone for sure, but for that, just don't buy the armor :p

Well like I said it's not that I don't like it, it's just that it ruins a pretty cool oppertunity to me. I might buy it for male characters and consider female chars but over all, I'm just disappointed in a way. But you know, that's just the social justice warrior talking right now.

I just hope we don't get a bikini armor trend like all other MMOs, cause BnS has been the only MMO I know that avoids that.

27 minutes ago, ARC1276 said:

Well like I said it's not that I don't like it, it's just that it ruins a pretty cool oppertunity to me. I might buy it for male characters and consider female chars but over all, I'm just disappointed in a way. But you know, that's just the social justice warrior talking right now.

I just hope we don't get a bikini armor trend like all other MMOs, cause BnS has been the only MMO I know that avoids that.

You picked the wrong game to be a SWJ in :p

As for the bikini armor trend, we don't get anything new really, most of what we get is outfits that have already been released, so you just have to look to those to get an idea of what to expect.

43 minutes ago, Brand X said:

You picked the wrong game to be a SWJ in :p

As for the bikini armor trend, we don't get anything new really, most of what we get is outfits that have already been released, so you just have to look to those to get an idea of what to expect.

Well I'm not really trying. I love the outfit and all, it's just that I felt like something wasn't right about it that bothered. It looks nice and all, but it comes at a price. How believable it is that I'm looking at a full armor set. I guess an argument could be made about the leather cover over the chest, but it feels flimsy. I guess I won't be putting that on my char because it looks protective. XD

1 minute ago, ARC1276 said:

Well I'm not really trying. I love the outfit and all, it's just that I felt like something wasn't right about it that bothered. It looks nice and all, but it comes at a price. How believable it is that I'm looking at a full armor set. I guess an argument could be made about the leather cover over the chest, but it feels flimsy. I guess I won't be putting that on my char because it looks protective. XD

Really, it looks more armored than most outfits in game.

I get it.  You see the exposed stomach and think it's not armored, but in reality, it has more armor than most of the other more all covered outfits.

Shoulders and arms are covered, with armor bits around the waist.  What do most of the other outfits have?  No armor what so ever, but hey, look, that cloth covers the belly.  :p

There's also the idea, if you're going to let that be some deal breaking reality breaker, think about the fact that everything you think armor will cover you from, the enemy can cut through much tougher armor...like rock demons :p

For me, the deal break is the pants personally.  Pure Evil & Bodyguard are two of my favorite (they're just different colors) in game, but the pants just start to grate on me, so I hardly use them :p  Samurai has the same issue.

Maybe we could ask for both versions on female and male where female get the plated armour and male get the skin tight outfit cause i kind of like the female design(im a perv i know but so are you so shut up). Just like the male with skirt school uniform or the "my angel" male costume. and the skin tight male outfit would look good on my warlock.

Instead of just getting angry about it lets ask them for a cross-dress model

Yes, body proportions are fked up in this game you can spend hours to make it looks better though.

HTK's cylindrical waist isn't just for show duh...

Chest plate?

Their boobs will be rubbed against the chest plate and burned up in the atmosphere.

wut....

btw historically samurai is a male only class.

BnS will sexualize everything possible to milk horny guys

also complaining here is useless because NCwest cannot do any changes to the existed costumes except censoring.

History aside, it looks awful. You would think that somewhere along the lines during the creation of this that they would have thought "Damn, this looks terrible" Or "Okay, lets try a new design, or go with the same style as the males"

1 hour ago, Volinus said:

BnS will sexualize everything possible to milk horny guys

This is true with most games, with one difference. It actually looks sexy, I can think of quite a few different ways they could have taken this. lol

tumblr_nbi5yw73B61sazby5o1_500.jpg

the_last_samurai600_423.jpg

samurai_woman_by_marcel_mercado-d5ulotm.

The contrary to what you presume is true - this game is heavily sexualized, IS sexist, and NOT realistic, anatomically, in the slightest bit. For my Yun to NOT look like some anorexic Korean super model who's been photoshop pedal to look spaghetti stick thin, like a character from "Five Star Stories", I had to make her the shortest possible height. Doing this made her proportions look more natural, even though she's about as short as a tall Lyn. I would also like better armor plating outfits for female characters that DID NOT leave the chest plate to the mercy of boob physics. Samurai are not gender exclusive to males, and never actually were. It was just a rare thing for a female to use swords like katana, or the shorter wakizashi, with the amount of heft and weight they entail. When you do your 100~1,000 "iais" a day, you definitely feel it in your arms and back. As someone else stated, this game doesn't take place on Earth. However, with all the characters having Korean names, I can't take the story too seriously when they get into the Kung fu and all. You may notice, though, that BNS kind of merges many popular styles of martial arts, along with their respective legends and mythos, culturally speaking. The game's goofy in so many ways, and the target demographic is the male who is pleased with how his female character looks. Male characters seem to just be an afterthoight, plugged in solely for the sake of allowing players to make a male avatar, in the lessee likely case that he would prefer to run around as his own real life gender, in his virtual fantasy adventures in a video game. This game allows for females to look LESS sexualized, to some degree, but it's more than evident that it wasn't designed with the wholesome Barbie and Skipper doll-playing girl in mind, unless she was just a fashion-head.

Archived