Of Male Yuns, New Class, and New Race

DomiSotto

BnS is introducing the new, 10th Class. It has four species in the world that are playable, one of which is described in Lore as ‘female only’. Three races have four classes to choose from, and one (Jins) – five. Lyns have two exclusive classes, while Gons & Jins – one each, with Yuns having none.

Chances are that like the other two late-comer classes, the new class will be opened up to multiple species, i.e. will not be race-exclusive. Otherwise, it will either further disadvantage the Yuns, making 2+ races with 2 exclusive classes or it will offer a too narrow a choice to a player when a class is not just race, but gender bound as well.

Here are a couple of things I would love to see when I play an armchair developer for BnS, as I find BnS a bit stingy on the race-class choices when playing a male avatar.

Option 1: Yuns getting a male.

This is not really lore-contradictory, because of the nature of the BnS world. Yuns are a secretive race, and a lot of places in the world are a mystery. There is no reason why Yun males cannot be reclusive and scolary rather than non-existent. (Compare to Tolkien’s Gimly talking about the common perception that there are no dwarven women). In this case male Yuns may inhabit places of enlighten etc in the Yun’s homeland, while Yun females be more adventurous and warrior like. Any Yun PC can be simply an exception to this rule or a pre-teen child who was traveling with a female relative and was adopted by the Monastery after a tragedy.

Scholarly, refined, artistic and elegant males who are also quite potent as warriors are as ubiquitous to the Oriental culture as a berserker is in a Nordic one.

In this case, giving Yuns and exclusive class won’t be out of line with the other races.

Alternatively, to go in the exactly opposite direction could be interesting.

Option 2: A new Premium Race opened to all classes

SWTOR had quite a good deal of success with Premium Races (Catahrs, Togrutas) that generated the revenue for the developer and were opened to all classes to facilitate player choices.

Introducing a new race with both a male and a female variant that is a bit more interesting would be nice. Lycanthropes come to mind, or an Outsider type race (along the lines of Tiefling/Aasimar) with Demonic or Celestial blood could be quite interesting.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So um....the whole 'purely female race' doesn't mean having a male won't contradict anything?

I'm 100% a-ok with Yun being purely female. That's how the race was initially designed with the lore of the world and it'll just water down the experience, not to mention literally retconning their entire existence because of some arbitrary need for 'balance'. However you are correct that aside from the lore, Yuns don't have anything that's particularly unique. As such I'm ok with Yun having an exclusive class, otherwise they could share the class with Gon, as they are the other most magical/mythical oriented race.

At the end of the day however, this is just fanfiction as our opinions won't (hopefully) affect anything.

Male Yun? It would attract more female gamer to the game for sure :3

Regarding Yun not being a race with an exclusive class was half true. Force Master was first introduced on Yun and nearly become an exclusive class for them. 

Dwarves made by Tolkien J.J.R have both genders, but they are too similar to each other, appearance wise,. A female dwarf still has beard and muscular.

So, if we apply that logic in BnS, we can have Yun having male gender, but with the appearance of a female with boobs. The only difference is down there :P

I think Yun being all girls are just how their race works. They can marry with other races, but only give birth to Yun girls. Or the child is of the father's race if it is a boy, while being Yun if it is a girl.

The sad about this game's races are that there are no racial lore interaction with the world. The racial background is just there, explaining vaguely why this race can have this or that class. Only a very few occasions that some NPCs are aware of their racial differnce, such as the love-struck Lyn in Primeval Forest who're in love with someone double his heights. Or the fact that "Lyn children" are mentioned by NPCs, and referred several times (all children stuffed in the jars are Lyn), dung Act 5.

13 minutes ago, Alysha Hawkeye said:

Dwarves made by Tolkien J.J.R have both genders, but they are too similar to each other, appearance wise,. A female dwarf still has beard and muscular.

So, if we apply that logic in BnS, we can have Yun having male gender, but with the appearance of a female with boobs. The only difference is down there :P

I think Yun being all girls are just how their race works. They can marry with other races, but only give birth to Yun girls. Or the child is of the father's race if it is a boy, while being Yun if it is a girl.

The sad about this game's races are that there are no racial lore interaction with the world. The racial background is just there, explaining vaguely why this race can have this or that class. Only a very few occasions that some NPCs are aware of their racial differnce, such as the love-struck Lyn in Primeval Forest who're in love with someone double his heights. Or the fact that "Lyn children" are mentioned by NPCs, and referred several times (all children stuffed in the jars are Lyn), dung Act 5.

Dwarven females in Tolkien also do not appear on the surface. The point is that the Dwarven females exist  but rumored not to. Exactly the same thing may be happening to the Yuns in the BnS.

Ent-wives wanderings and Valinor are the other plot devices used in Tolkien to deal with a gender absence or the entire race disappearing.

In other words, it is not a contradiction to the Lore, it is Lore expansion and enrichment while also enriching the player's experience and options! It does not impact people who chose to play Female Yuns at all (actually gives them an additional sex change option as well) , but also gives other players a cool new racial variation, and an access to playing a male elf equivalent. And male elves are popular in plenty of the games.

Alternatively, as I said, an attractive new race  with gorgeous males would be great as well. Plus, it will generate extra revenue if it is Premium.

With 10 classes, having a bit more of racial diversity at character creation and character looks can only be a good thing.

18 minutes ago, Alysha Hawkeye said:

I don't think Yun race has sexual desires as other races are. So with that being said they have no obligation to marry any male from other races including Lyn M (WTF LOL) thus leaving us without having any clue on how do they breed.

29 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

Dwarven females in Tolkien also do not appear on the surface. The point is that the Dwarven females exist  but rumored not to. Exactly the same thing may be happening to the Yuns in the BnS.

Show me where male Yuns are rumored to exist because neither on the game's official page nor the wiki does it say anywhere that male Yun are even possible. Both categorically say 'PURELY female':

https://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/game/races/

http://bladeandsoul.gamepedia.com/Yun

It doesn't say 'only females have been seen' or 'questions arise as to whether or not males exist' or 'sightings of male Yun occurred' or anything like that. If something once was categorically one way then next changed on a dime, that indicates lack of foresight and an element of bad writing.

Oh boy.. What do you really think about this game? What are those? Catahrs? Togrutas? Aasimar? LYCANS??? LOLOLOL probably you thought this game is some kind of WoW or Knight but guess what? Not even close. This game is some anime sh*t. Even if you create a male character with long hair, hell sure it will look like a female LOL. Thats the one of my reasons I dont play male character tho. They all look like female with that shiny face and same clone eyes.

25 minutes ago, erengny said:

Oh boy.. What do you really think about this game? What are those? Catahrs? Togrutas? Aasimar? LYCANS??? LOLOLOL probably you thought this game is some kind of WoW or Knight but guess what? Not even close. This game is some anime sh*t. Even if you create a male character with long hair, hell sure it will look like a female LOL. Thats the one of my reasons I dont play male character tho. They all look like female with that shiny face and same clone eyes.

My males save for Lyn look masculine enough as I use a fair bit of texturing on their faces. For males at least it's an option. Females do look glossy and Barbie-like due to char creation restrictions. 

I haven't played WoW. I am a loyal Bio/obsidian fangirl, and played a couple years of SWTOR before trying BnS.

39 minutes ago, ErosNova said:

Show me where male Yuns are rumored to exist because neither on the game's official page nor the wiki does it say anywhere that male Yun are even possible. Both categorically say 'PURELY female':

https://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/game/races/

http://bladeandsoul.gamepedia.com/Yun

It doesn't say 'only females have been seen' or 'questions arise as to whether or not males exist' or 'sightings of male Yun occurred' or anything like that. If something once was categorically one way then next changed on a dime, that indicates lack of foresight and an element of bad writing.

Far, far bigger alterations were retconed in other verses as they developed, and some fans quit in a huff, while others liked it or did not care. It's one silly line, that's all it is, not a holy writ.

alternatively, I am all for another playable race. I just want more class-race variety for male avatars.

10 minutes ago, Volinus said:

New Race!!!

1.Cute but deadly Ploggle

2.Wolfy Jaofang

3.Buff Grimhorn

4.Snap Snap Snapjaw

Now Vote!!!

Will have to be near-human, otherwise facial sculpting will be too expensive. If they could actually provide enough customization for Jaofang people, they would be interesting. 

7 hours ago, DomiSotto said:

My males save for Lyn look masculine enough as I use a fair bit of texturing on their faces. For males at least it's an option. Females do look glossy and Barbie-like due to char creation restrictions. 

You can turn off the skin gloss by putting the slider to 0 in character creation...

4 minutes ago, Dark Falz said:

You can turn off the skin gloss by putting the slider to 0 in character creation...

I did, and they still do. every texture on the face available as well, but it is still smooth as a baby's bottom. 

" Compare to Tolkien’s Gimly talking about the common perception that there are no dwarven women " yes and in there dwarven woman have beard and looks just like male... in here, using the same comparison, would yun males have big boobs and look like females? Then, mystery solved! They are like futas! XD

While I have no problem with the idea of a male yun, assuming they do exist, they'd be rare.  So allowing players to play them, they wouldn't be anymore.  :p

Also, don't we have just two Yun NPCs, with all other Yun's being PCs?

1 hour ago, Arken said:

" Compare to Tolkien’s Gimly talking about the common perception that there are no dwarven women " yes and in there dwarven woman have beard and looks just like male... in here, using the same comparison, would yun males have big boobs and look like females? Then, mystery solved! They are like futas! XD

No, because the reason is different. In dwarv's case it's because males and females look similar to the other races. I suppose dwarven boobs are small. In this case it will be because of either a cultural aspect (reclusive) or because of genetic mutation or because of the journey to the lands unknown for a while and then a return or what have you. The thing is, a mysterious race that doesn't really share the lore much can breed all sorts of rumors. Our own perfectly human Medieval ancestors told tall tales about the other people and far away lands. 

while the conversation is interesting, the devs already said in a stream that no new races where going to be added in the game in the near or planned future. As a Yun player I lament that they are the only race without a unique class, and am somewhat worried that if they let all races play all class we would end up with a similar problem to tera where the vast majority of the players play elin and the devs pretty much cater to elins alone, I don't see the female only thing really being a problem, does anyone really see it as a problem with making a class Yun only? 

30 minutes ago, Zephyrinfinity said:

I don't see the female only thing really being a problem, does anyone really see it as a problem with making a class Yun only? 

I do, by the reasons explained in the first post. It's a double restriction on a class, as opposite to a single one as in every other race. With a class being exclusive to Yun you cannot chose gender in addition to not being able to pick a  race. 

3 hours ago, luzt said:

I thought Lusung was a male Yun, he is infact the brother of Jinsoyun.

I believe he is a Jin, and he is as much a brother to Jin Seo Yun as he is to the PC, i.e. it belongs to the same brotherhood, rather than blood ties?

4 hours ago, luzt said:

I thought Lusung was a male Yun, he is infact the brother of Jinsoyun.

At what point do they say he is her brother?  His sister was killed by the short fat guy who's annoying and who's name I forget.

5 hours ago, DomiSotto said:

I do, by the reasons explained in the first post. It's a double restriction on a class, as opposite to a single one as in every other race. With a class being exclusive to Yun you cannot chose gender in addition to not being able to pick a  race. 

so? Idk I guess I just have  really hard time seeing that as a problem :x but I'm long used to playing games where the classes are locked to specific characters like vindictus...

Archived