How to kill the bots.

AegonTargarya

Solution #1

-Make the game buy to play. 5$ to play the game. A drastic solution but it would kill all the bots.

Solution #2

-Make faction chat, Region chat, Dragonspire LFG chat and whispers only available to those who have a purchase history. Also block the option to send friend request/mail to the F2P players (they could still accept a friend request, they just could not send one themselves). Once again it would kill the bots while still allowing F2P players to play the game (minus global chat).

Maybe those solution seems drastic. But trust me, the business model of bots user is basically gonna keep being a thing as long as they make profits... Make botting a tactic that is not profitable and bots users will fall one by one.

Sincerly, a simple Canadian man ^^

I agree with #1.  Well, at least that was my thought until I noticed that most of the bots I've seen have a premium star by their name.  So they paid money for the student bundle or the 7 day premium sub for $5.

Edit:  Makes me often wonder what this game would have been like had it actually been b2p or p2p.

I don't think solution #1 would work entirely only because there are hackers who have the knowledge of creating fake credit cards, and this would only make the "buying premium" all the more problematic. (Please refer to topics talking about buying premium and how some of them got put on hold for buying too high of an amount.)

Solution 2 - same problem as #1

So I agree with Houlon's #3.

Or #4, Create a chat spam limit. This would not kill bots, but help alleviate the amount of things that is spammed over the chat.

In the end, I don't think you can "truly" kill off bots.

Even if a bot buy premium. If you have a lots of mods managing the chat and on top of that a paywall. Means you probably spam one or twice for 5$? How long can a bot enterprise sustain such high cost for low income? Just saying a bot user won't simply pay money off his pocket only to annoy global chat.

I do agree I was not too clear on what would need to be put in place. A paywall by itself is not enough, but a pay wall + a fast action from mods on chat is basically a sure kill on bots.

And then NcSoft would put a paywall  and then we would get another thread how come it didn't work like we have thread right now about  the bots reaching new level limit to spam.In the mean time we would have loose some f2p players and other threads about server merging.

Pay wall does nothing to bots.

Bots, hackers, phishers, etc all do it because they profit from it.

They will pay $5 to do it if it still means they can hack a person's credit card out of it or something similar.

The pay wall would have to be pretty bad.

Making the game pay to play won't make the bots go away. There are even premium bots in the game (shocking truth). i came from GW2 when it was Pay2play. tons of bots everywhere too message you here and there. 

we need a mute system that mutes the user if the user spam too much message in a short period of time. as well as introducing the currency exchange system asap

There might be other threads. Sadly there is no way to find back old threads due to the amount of topics being created. This topic went from first page to second page in only an hour. So yes a new topic felt necessary to me. If you feel offended that I made a new topic, just move along and ignore it :)

I do agree that key word leading to a message suppression could be a viable solution.... but as I see the bots going around with sentence that are not even made of words, it feels like it would not work as well as we wish it to. But this would still be a good addition! I think the more anti-bots solution being put in the game, the better it is.

We are just all working towards a clean global chat and bot free environment! :D

2 hours ago, LemonCookie said:

the real solution is to put a key word filter that will block the entire message if it has that key word. 

for example: id block the key word "USD" the the system will block all forms of "usd,"

this is not a real solution at all, and is already in place. 

they  do filter for words in chat messages which is why you see spammers constantly having to invent new ways of writing COM or WWW or GOLD. the spammers just evolve their messages to get around it - it's a poor man's whack-a-mole attempting to prevent bots/spammers with chat filtering.

to get rid of bots all they need to do is:

ban every Gon Destroyer that is wearing the default costume outside of Bamboo Village. 

that would nuke most of the one's I've seen in high-level bot trains. 

6 hours ago, AegonTargarya said:

Solution #1

-Make the game buy to play. 5$ to play the game. A drastic solution but it would kill all the bots.

There is a company B* that have game W* that costs 14$ and is pay2play. Just few months ago they banned 100.000 PvP bots ( with most of bot software made by one company ).

This solution won't help.

6 hours ago, AegonTargarya said:

Solution #2

-Make faction chat, Region chat, Dragonspire LFG chat and whispers only available to those who have a purchase history. Also block the option to send friend request/mail to the F2P players (they could still accept a friend request, they just could not send one themselves). Once again it would kill the bots while still allowing F2P players to play the game (minus global chat).

First, botters would just make one purchase and that's all.

Second, you say two friends to be able to speak/mail will have to become premium? Meh, too expensive for most f2p players. I strongly oppose this solution!

Want to kill hackers do this:

If a certain threshold of players report/block a particular player in a duration of time (lets say 25 players block one player in the course of an hour), that player account loses chat privilidges to region/faction for a 24 hour period. Should solve the problem real quick. Does it leave space for abuse? Sure, but if metrics are applied correctly, they can measure what should be a good amount of blocks/per hour to prevent most abuse, while still dinging the crap out of spammers.

Archived