Exploit or ok?

Victorion

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • NCSOFT

Hi,

You will not be penalised or reprimanded for using animation-cancelling techniques.

While the origins of ani-cancelling were what you might call 'emergent' it has since become a core part of the game.

Here sin video with ani-cancel example.

If you use ani-cancel to raise DPS = exploiting game mechanism.

I doubt all players know it. You need learn how to use it.

This may not affect the PVP part, because it makes unfair gameplay, especially in arena's. Use tricks and exploits in arena is a big no-no.
You're cheating the game results.

53 minutes ago, Lock6 said:

Hi,

You will not be penalised or reprimanded for using animation-cancelling techniques.

While the origins of ani-cancelling were what you might call 'emergent' it has since become a core part of the game.

Should maybe make it part of the tutorial or have a quest that introduces how to use it then, just so everybody is on equal ground.

56 minutes ago, Lock6 said:

Hi,

There's too many complex mechanics in the game for this kind of in depth tutoring. 

The game in general can be played without it, perfectly fine. 

Hell I PVP without ani cancelling on destroyer and i got to Platinum at lvl 40 and I've only been playing Destroyer since release.

Here's my simple train of thoughts:

- Ani-cancelling is not a balance issue between classes because devs are aware of it and adjust skill power accordingly (if you compare skill power of LMB-2 skills on KFM to things like Hellfire Kick you will see what I mean). Class balance is adjusted every few months by the way.

- Ani-cancelling could only be removed by giving all skills casting timers, which would slow down combat. IMO, B&S is very much about fast combat.

- It creates another imbalance between newbies and veterans, but to be honest the skill deep-mechanics are so vast in B&S that it's just another drop in the ocean. And it's right what's been said: you just cannot have in-game tutorials on all the things possible that give you an edge in arena. Anicancel is even simple compared to some things, like accurate positioning, using SS backwards for chase or the whole counter-counter-mechanics. ^_^

Here's what you want to have removed because you can't do it?
It's a known theme in fighting games and since this is a tournament fighter style MMO I see no issue. It adds a level of skill equal to the following.

TL;DR: GIT GUD!

animation canceling only adds skill IF people are able to play on the same ping bases.

look at this video. with the way things are now without a skill que the only people able to animation cancel properly and do real damage are those with less then 50ping. a good chunk of players are at 200ms.

The game is balanced around ani-cancel. I saw posted before from officials that it's part of the game. Hell, you even have skill points whose purpose is to allow you to do it. People are worked up because they can't ani-canel so it's easier to complain ? All classes can do it.

Having lower ping means you'll ani-cancel faster so you'll do more damage, yes. But having lower ping even without it means you'll do better no matter what. It was like that since forever. Lower ping = better damage. Ani-cancel has nothing to do with it.

Bottom line is, it's a game feature.

I believe everyone has a right to wish for improvements to the game they like, so I think it's rather immature to disrespect such complaints as "whining". But building up from the more constructive reactions here in the thread, I would say the core design of Blade & Soul is too close to a classical fighting game that it's not realistic for the basic concept (that includes anicancelling) to change.

However, devs are aware of latency issues and if it is not interfering too much with your character identity wishes, there is some workaround by choice of classes that are less ping dependent.
At least that's what I would do if my ping was bad, change from KFM to summoner or warlock for PvP, and enjoy my KFM in PvE only.

Oh and a last thought: I hardly care for ani-cancelling in terms of damage. I need fast animations and low latency for proper counters, iframes and counter-counters. Honestly I paid attention to it a few times and 3RF ani-cancelling is only about ~5% of my arena fighting activity.

Just to add some fuel to the fire:

It's your personal choice to play an action orriented mmorpg where client side imput is processed serverside, and thus making is important for YOU to have a good connection to the server.

To repeat: It is your own responsibility to have a good connection to play this game as it was intended to be played, or it is being played in the original market.

If you want to play it optimally and normally, imigrate to south korea, where they're number 1 in the world in terms of internet connection speed.
Or pay for a better connection,

Or maybe talk to your isp to optimize their noding and stepping to the server so you have better ping.

There's plenty of solutions for you out there as long as you're willing.

On 1/25/2016 at 4:22 AM, Victorion said:

Obviously, the very commonly known exploit known as ani-cancel, is getting widespread on the game.

Now I am calling it an exploit, because it was never intended from developers side and it´s a common exploit in other mmo´s as well. - Basically the dmg is dealt at the beginning at the animation, and you exploit that, by starting the animation and cancelling it - without having a cooldown on the skil. With good timings you may gain significant dmg increase, 200%, 300%, even 700% or more is not unheard of. You archieve this, by tricking the server and flooding it with key input commands.

Now that is established, I hear people speaking of it openly and  some people even defending their right to do it. So what does the publisher say to this - is it an acceptable bug that won´t be labelled as an exploit ,  or should players refrain from abusing this "trick" and will there be penalties for doing it - and can we expect a bug fix for this?

I have seen many arguments about animation cancelling in many different forums for various games. When it comes down to it, the developer has 2 options:

Leave damage being dealt at the beginning of animation (which is friendly to high latency players so they don't inadvertently use skills and have them not 'work'.).

Have damage applied after the animation is complete. (This also requires the game to basically 'disable' all other actions while the animation is underway and use an action 'queue' system for chaining commands.)

It's unfortunate that it gives certain players an advantage, but there is not much that can be done, unless the developer decides to make a firm stand on the issue.

On 1/25/2016 at 4:22 AM, Victorion said:

Obviously, the very commonly known exploit known as ani-cancel, is getting widespread on the game.

Now I am calling it an exploit, because it was never intended from developers side and it´s a common exploit in other mmo´s as well. - Basically the dmg is dealt at the beginning at the animation, and you exploit that, by starting the animation and cancelling it - without having a cooldown on the skil. With good timings you may gain significant dmg increase, 200%, 300%, even 700% or more is not unheard of. You archieve this, by tricking the server and flooding it with key input commands.

Now that is established, I hear people speaking of it openly and  some people even defending their right to do it. So what does the publisher say to this - is it an acceptable bug that won´t be labelled as an exploit ,  or should players refrain from abusing this "trick" and will there be penalties for doing it - and can we expect a bug fix for this?

Most games you can animation cancel, one popular one back in the day comes to mind is GunZ. It gives people a higher skilling window and imo it should stay in games. Lets you know who is improving their skills further and who are just button mashing with cheesy classes.

Just now, Magozz said:

Most games you can animation cancel, one popular one back in the day comes to mind is GunZ. It gives people a higher skilling window and imo it should stay in games. Lets you know who is improving their skills further and who are just button mashing with cheesy classes.

Just because you can justify the use - doesn´t change the definition.

While I may or may not agree with you on its usability - it´s still an exploit. The topic isn´t about whether it is or not - it´s about whether it´s ok to do or not.

2 minutes ago, Victorion said:

Just because you can justify the use - doesn´t change the definition.

While I may or may not agree with you on its usability - it´s still an exploit. The topic isn´t about whether it is or not - it´s about whether it´s ok to do or not.

You are not making any sense, my post clearly states that it should stay in the game and fine to use. And a moderator already commented stating the same.

Archived