Exploit or ok?

Victorion

Obviously, the very commonly known exploit known as ani-cancel, is getting widespread on the game.

Now I am calling it an exploit, because it was never intended from developers side and it´s a common exploit in other mmo´s as well. - Basically the dmg is dealt at the beginning at the animation, and you exploit that, by starting the animation and cancelling it - without having a cooldown on the skil. With good timings you may gain significant dmg increase, 200%, 300%, even 700% or more is not unheard of. You archieve this, by tricking the server and flooding it with key input commands.

Now that is established, I hear people speaking of it openly and  some people even defending their right to do it. So what does the publisher say to this - is it an acceptable bug that won´t be labelled as an exploit ,  or should players refrain from abusing this "trick" and will there be penalties for doing it - and can we expect a bug fix for this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it's an exploit because it requires good ping to do it.  Sure it takes some skills to master, but if you have bad ping then it's almost impossible to ani-cancel effectively.

And I doubt this will get fix, I'm pretty sure that they have ani-cancel in the CH and KR servers.

Unfortunately I don't think this will be fixed as it is talked about at the esports level. I don't particularly enjoy mechanics like that, somewhat game breaking and makes it harder to balance but it's not the end of the world really.

Sorry, if I didn´t make myself clear.

Question is not if this is an exploit. Ani-cancel is an exploit - no argueing about it.

My question is, is it ok to do or not. I would like an official statement from the publisher. (I would hate being penalized or in the worst scenario banned if I were to practice this combo)

I get you're looking for NcSoft to chime in here but yeah, you're fine to do it is what we're saying. When they host tournaments or even during the launch event, they talk about it on stream as part of combos and damage potential etc...they know about it and like it was said above, it is being treated as a feature of the combat system.

Just now, Victorion said:

Question is not if this is an exploit. Ani-cancel is an exploit - no argueing about it.

My question is, is it ok to do or not. I would like an official statement from the publisher. (I would hate being penalized or in the worst scenario banned if I were to practice this combo)

right now you can do it, that's for sure. So don't worry about getting banned if you're using it. I don't have any official statement stating that it is ok to use this. But I am 100% positive that it is okay since the majority of the players uses ani-cancel, and I doubt NCSOFT will banned the whole server.

Probably not gonna change. It only really affects the higher tier pvp players and honestly is just another way to separate the great from the godly. This type of interact is in most fighting games.

It's no different then when in WoW people used to use /stopcast macros to make their skills go off without the delay of certain things.

18 minutes ago, Victorion said:

Dw about it atm and ani cancel isnt rly an exploit its been used in tournaments by any region and so on and even if i recall nc west was talking about this on one of their streams and didnt say anything that its a combo to inc dmg output 

I wouldn't call it a feature, as that assumes it was intended from developers, but I wouldn't call it an exploit either. Fighting games for years, like MK, Street Fighter, and others have all had the ability for the skilled to cancel the animation of one attack with another to extend combos. 

8 minutes ago, Victorion said:

I´d really like an official to confirm this, just in case :)

We already got one. 

They literally said "This is an intended high level tactic"

Believe me I was skeptical and full of dislike for animation cancelling as well. But I promise you they definitely confirmed it was legit and intended. 

If it was up to me though, i'd say repeated animation cancelling like kfm and destroyer ( and i play destroyer but i also refuse to ani cancel)  is wrong but I don't make the rules. 

4 minutes ago, BladeAndComplain said:

so if ani-cancel is an exploit.. do you consider i-framing exploiting too? hmmmmm

completely different things. I-frames are built in lmao. Ani cancelling is a by-product of having short global cooldowns and animation frames after hit detection triggers.

I share your oppinion Ellz, could you provide a screenshot with the confirmation by chance?

I mean, if everybody is doing it, and the publisher is fine with ther servers being spammed with commands - I see no reason why not to do it too. I mean otherwise you´re just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Reason why I insist on having a clear confirmation on this, is because I used to play another MMO where excactly ani-cancel lead to ban on one of my characters. In that mmo, i was for a whole year alone with the knowledge and skillset to do the timing correctly - which led me to having 100% winrate on all bosses - my dmg output was about 700% increased, and even though i practiced myself to go higher, the server would insta-dc me if I tried.

51 minutes ago, Victorion said:

It's not an exploit, it's an feature. So yes, you can use ani-cancel.

1 minute ago, Victorion said:

I share your oppinion Ellz, could you provide a screenshot with the confirmation by chance?

I mean, if everybody is doing it, and the publisher is fine with ther servers being spammed with commands - I see no reason why not to do it too. I mean otherwise you´re just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Reason why I insist on having a clear confirmation on this, is because I used to play another MMO where excactly ani-cancel lead to ban on one of my characters. In that mmo, i was for a whole year alone with the knowledge and skillset to do the timing correctly - which led me to having 100% winrate on all bosses - my dmg output was about 700% increased, and even though i practiced myself to go higher, the server would insta-dc me if I tried.

I wish i could, however they wiped the beta forums. But if you find some way to find an archive my post would be in the general discussion. 

The thing is it's actually not full animation cancelling. You skip about 3 frame of an animation. 

The real power behind it for destroyers anyway, is that your using your lmb to regain 10 focus, and then you spend 20 using your rmb. And you spec your rmb skill to have maximum boost (animation speed) so it becomes very fast. 

There's another skill that gives you wrath  on destroyer, and that looks like animation cancelling but it's literally just destroyers version of the Blade dancers/Masters Flicker. 

8 minutes ago, Ellz said:

I wish i could, however they wiped the beta forums. But if you find some way to find an archive my post would be in the general discussion. 

The thing is it's actually not full animation cancelling. You skip about 3 frame of an animation. 

The real power behind it for destroyers anyway, is that your using your lmb to regain 10 focus, and then you spend 20 using your rmb. And you spec your rmb skill to have maximum boost (animation speed) so it becomes very fast. 

There's another skill that gives you wrath  on destroyer, and that looks like animation cancelling but it's literally just destroyers version of the Blade dancers/Masters Flicker. 

your welcome

15 minutes ago, Victorion said:

you are also welcome

Archived