PSA: Alpha Call and You!

SilverFoxR

Hey, folks!

So, I've noticed this trend lately... for almost 3 weeks on every single dungeon I've run on my characters (mainly my KFM and Warden) this keeps happening. I've run dungeons with Archers and Gunslingers and in almost every single dungeon I've run for every single DC in that 3 weeks, the same thing keeps happening - the buffs activate, they run out... and nobody casts Alpha Call.

So, this is a quick PSA for all of those Archers and Gunslingers out there (of which I have as well)...

:HajoonWow:DON'T FORGET ALPHA CALL! :HajoonWow:

It's really easy! For Archer, press 1 to block/counter and any time after, press Z. For Gunslingers, it's even easier... no pressing 1... JUST press Z! Easy!

Alpha Call resets the cooldown of all main buff skills. Fighting Spirit (aka Blue Buff) for Kung Fu Masters and Assassins? Reset. Soul Burn/Soul Flare for Warlocks and Wardens? Reset! Heck, even party resurrection spells from Summoner and Soul Fighter? RESET! It's a second chance at some big damage or to save from a potential wipe! Why would you NOT use this ability?!?

And, even better... they've changed Alpha Call's global cooldown to be reset when you go through most portals in dungeons! Killed a boss on Stage 1 of a dungeon, but there's a bigger boss in Stage 2? No worries! Alpha Call will be ready to go again! BRILLIANT!

So, Gunners and Archers, remember... Alpha Call is a handy skill that benefits the entire party and is a quick, easy cast. There's no reason you shouldn't be using this skill... unless, of course, you're lazy... and why would you EVER want to be lazy? Wouldn't you much rather prefer the dungeon to be over faster so you can move onto the next one? OF COURSE you would! Everyone in the party would like to progress faster!

So cast Alpha Call! Learn it! Live it! LOVE IT!

Spoiler

(or I'm gonna break your legs)

Honestly, neither is a bad option, however, it'd likely be best to wait for buffs to run out (or close to). That way, the person who cast the buffs doesn't accidentally re-apply the buffs thinking they may have lagged somehow and didn't apply the buff in the first place.

Also, another good time to apply AC is after the initial burst. For the example of Fire Gunslinger, when Tombstone/Bulletstorm ends. That way you pump as much damage in while the buffs are going. For Archers, when your Fireworks detonate is also a good time (when your main Z skill is beginning to cool down).

However, so long as the buffs have been applied, you can AC. =p

• Like 1

the answer is simple for guners . if they cast AC on start they lose 1-2 buletstorm if they do it at the end they lose the rng 3 skill also they have 0 benefit from the 2nd buff set cause the soul is on  cd also if the Z skill cast on start the bulestorm not synchronized with the 1 min CD buff on 3d buff cast ,tldr Z = lose dps

Edited by D3aThLoCk

3 hours ago, D3aThLoCk said:

the answer is simple for guners . if they cast AC on start they lose 1-2 buletstorm if they do it at the end they lose the rng 3 skill also they have 0 benefit from the 2nd buff set cause the soul is on  cd also if the Z skill cast on start the bulestorm not synchronized with the 1 min CD buff on 3d buff cast ,tldr Z = lose dps

"I don't use AC cuz my dps will fall while everyone else will rise and that is not how i grow my PP big"

Thanks for showing the true example of selfish toxicity in public.

9 hours ago, KlausFlouride said:

I'll start using AC when tanks go back to using threat.

Great! Since I'm already generating Threat, you're gonna start using AC! Good move!

Though to be fair, I have also been in that situation too... my archer took aggro in a dungeon from a Warden and a Blade Master who had higher AP and better gear than me. I could not believe it. Had to tell the Warden to use War Cry and even told him the button input... but still nothing. Still, that was one dungeon one time. I've literally had to tell people almost every dungeon for every DC for two characters for three weeks to use AC. Far bigger problem if you ask me.

As for D3aThLoCk, your primary damage for your gunner's going to come out of Bulletstorm. Once Bulletstorm ends, pop Z, then C and use both that and any remaining explosive rounds for your "RNG". You'll likely (very shortly after if you're at least Aransu) get automatic resets for V and 4, which you can use to gain more explosive rounds and should also proc bracelet.

As for losing synch with your own burst... okay... and yet the rest of the party can utilize the additional DPS and bonuses to skills from Soulburn/Flare (such as Assassins who greatly benefit from being in Awakened state) to bring your overall DPS down a little. And that's still assuming you don't kill the boss before Tombstone comes off cooldown in the first place.

Use Alpha Call. Your DPS won't ever be higher than the initial burst anyways... you've already stroked your ego. Let it go.

14 hours ago, KlausFlouride said:

I'll start using AC when tanks go back to using threat.

This.

Blaming Archers and Gunners not using AC but 90% of all time is my Gunner or Archer who is tanking because Warden or BM don't know how. I must do damage, mechs and same time avoiding boss attacks. And when boss is down Warden yelling at me why I didn't use AC, but it's ok that he failed as tanker. (And also nobody care that I'm loosing half of my DPS, because I must tanking as DPS class.)

I have FM as main and Gunner, Archer, Summoner and Blade Dancer as alts with decent gear. I'm playing with them everyday.

And my today experience for example:

Summoner - Hollow's Heart - two Wardens in party a I'm tanking every boss. When I said that in chat, their response was "do less damage". I'm not joking.

Gunner - Drowing Deeps - one Warden, one Warlock and one KFM in party. I used AC on every boss but never get second BW or BB on any boss. And guess who tanking.

And this is happening every day. It's not something rare. And I'm starting to be tired of this.

So SilverFoxR before you start blaming Archers and Gunners not doing their job, look for own classes and ppl who playing with them and ask them same question. "Why are you not doing your job?"

Thank you.

80%-90% of the F8/weekly Gunners/Archers in my groups don't use AC and when I play my WL/WR/Sin alt I often have to tell them 3x to use it before they react. Super annoying.

When I play my Gunner/Archer alt it's extremly rare that I forget to use it, so I don't get how you can forget the skill, when this is your mainclass. Sometimes I also see players with buff classes, who forget to use their buffs...I mean how is this possible?:JinsoyunPale:
With my bt gear Warden alt I always tank, unless there is someone with end gear of course, but even then I try it at least xD
But with my other non-tank alts I also have to tank very often, because tank classes (with often better gear) just can't play their class and don't use their threat and when I ask them if they could tank ( I never flame someone btw), they either don't answer and I have to tank again or they tell me something like "ohh didn't expected that I have to tank" or "ohh I thought the other tank class would tank" or best answer I got from a warden: "Are u the warden? No. I decide when I dps and when I tank, so shut up."  (And in the end another player with a range class had to tank and got constantly cced, so the boss was moving all the time and DPS-Warden and Tank-Warden in low dungeons is exactly the same, but ok). I mean I can tank with all of my classes, but it's often a dps loss and annoying when there is actually a tankclass in the party.
Best example is the weekly a moment ago: HM19 Warden VT gear -> can't even hold 300k dmg, when my bt gear warden burst is over 1 million and constant dps is around 600k.

So all of you, use your skills and learn your classes please, thank you :HajoonCheer:

16 hours ago, Shironeko said:

So SilverFoxR before you start blaming Archers and Gunners not doing their job, look for own classes and ppl who playing with them and ask them same question. "Why are you not doing your job?"

So, you may not have read above, but I already pointed out that I have been doing dungeons on an Archer and in the 3 weeks I've been running dungeons, I've taken aggro from tanks not using their War Cry maybe once or twice... but when I've tanked on my Warden and KFM? Almost every. Single. Time. I had some noob archer who I had to tell about 5-7 times in SST, including once before we even started the second boss. He instead decided to swear at me after he died, which, if he had used AC, we probably would have had enough damage to prevent that.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't moron tanks... trust me... I've seen 'em. But I've seen far more often that I'm looking for AC and I have to call for it. And it's not just me saying this either... I've gotten the same reactions from other party members as well.

But yes, I will agree that BM, KFM and Warden not using War Cry is just plain stupid. Heck, even if you have multiple tanks, it's rarely a bad idea to each have WC active.

I guess it's a safe distillation of this thread to simply say "know your role". I personally notice that it's Alpha Call more often than not, some people see it being tanks w/ War Cry.

And, for the record, I do have both a Gunner and an Archer as well as a KFM and a Warden. I know my role =p

• Like 1

Talks about why tank doesn't want to tank is as old as mmos. Nothing can be done about it - you either enjoy tanking or not. It is impossible to force that role on somebody. Verbal abuse is nothing before prospect to take the lead (and be abused for every single mistake you make thereafter).

I have 3 'tank' toons and on 2 of them I have War Call disabled. Because they are alts with almost out of story gear (main BM is not much higher) and trying to tank is pretty much useless with this game's power creep and lack of skills. Better to let highest dps to take steady aggro then have boss switch targets. I tried it several times but as soon as dps's damage overshadows my by 2,5 times it is all over. War Call is only 250% threat increase which is nothing even in more leveled games. There are no taunts. It is possible to keep aggro only with similar geared players.

Another issue is initial burst. Also there is no cure for that. At least in pugs who are not used to wipes. In healthy environment it is normal to wait for tank to grab aggro before buffs (and warden guardian has it worst imo). In every other game (overstatement) it is possible to taunt at start of fight and build aggro for 4-6 secs without worries. I can go on but you all are experienced and of course know all that.

About AC. When buffs are used tank also get damage increase so it is irrelevant 'to use or not to use'. If your dps overshadows tank's much then you will grab aggro AC or not AC.

PS: HM points in threat. It is simple: QoL I get from spending them elsewhere is higher then slight chance to NOT meet overgeared player. If I reach HM18+ then give it a though to spec in threat.

PPS: NCS did splendid job having all 3 tank classes different combo for War Call /sarcasm

Edited by Crimhare
  • Like 1

On 15/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, SilentOne said:

"I don't use AC cuz my dps will fall while everyone else will rise and that is not how i grow my PP big"

Thanks for showing the true example of selfish toxicity in public.

i think u missunderstood my answer ,also u added some drama on my answer.no prob u are a typical pleb .guners  deal with plebs like u almost   3 years now

i feel i must make my answer more simple so...

if my party  start the boss and the boss die BEFORE my buletstorm ends i dont cast AC ( u undertand why or  i must make it more clear for u)

if my party start the boss and a pleb tank not have threat or dmg to sustain thread and i take the agro  i dont cast AC  after buffs  i am  busy to do UR JOB (clear enough tho)

if my party start the boss and the boss after the party burst enter on mechs i dont use Z because a pleb buffer always pop up the bufs on mech phace!!! (  this is the part when a pleb bufer start cry "AC AC AC N---B GUNNER on chat)

i dont cast Z cause all are busy  doing the mech and almost noone dps the boss ) is better to wait for 2nd rebuff and then use tha AC because the party need the dps to burst down or push the boss to next mech phace 

now i think my answer is clear

in all  others setuations i cast AC after the buff apply on party BEFORE start to use my burst and cast my dps rotation 

Edited by D3aThLoCk
  • Like 1

TLDR;

Alpha Call has to be done at the end of Soulburn, because Warlock can choose to Time Distortion 5 sec after SB or to delay it at the end of SB, depending other classes. So, Alpha Call is cast only during long fights.
Yes, Alpha Call resets Time Distortion too ;)

Edited by Gigowatt221
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 2:28 AM, Miggy Miggs said:

whats the point of apha call  when pve content dies in 2.5 seconds lol even in raids too , i remember using alpha call in weekly and boss dies before i could get out 4 bs and  i was like yea , not using it ....

I don't AC until bs is done, so if the target is dead by then oh well.