Why are Summoners restricted to lolis?

HarryTasker

5 minutes ago, HarryTasker said:

They look fun to play but I simply don't feel comfortable playing an 8 year old in a game with Korean cosmetics.

What ammeenachan said, AND you have a weird idea on what "loli" is through the subculture perspective. Yes, I know the original loli word has a bad connotation, but in this context i is not like that. It's not an 8 year old and it can only look like one if you chose so.  In addition many Asian girls look very, very young even well into adult-hood. If anything they remind me more of Asian females, compared to the other female races or something which is like your western idea of sexy or something

Ehh, man so many games have gender locked classes, If you really want to play the class play it. It is up to to not see it as sexualized and morally wrong as you understand things. Not everyone role plays and those that do, often stick in their own clique. I am a guy and my personal preference is to roll a female toon, personally i don't care about sitting 15 hours in front of a monitor watching man cheeks flex in front of me.  When another player confronts you just respond how you want to; personally i reply back "IDC what you think" play your game let others play theirs. Roll that summoner class and have fun.

Getting tired of seeing this crap cropping up all over again after Tera's falling out.

1. They're not lolis. "Loli" does not define a small person. Loli is short for Lolita which is a type of dress style. It has nothing to do with sizes.

2. They're not 8 year olds. Just because they're small, as children are small, doesn't make them around the age a human person would be that height.

3. If you have a problem playing it, sucks for you. That's how the game is and despite anyone wanting to believe otherwise, it is lore basic. The Lyn's historically have a very close tie to the Spirit Realm. They're capable of communicating with things beyond a human's comprehension. It's meant to make them unique similar to how Gons are basically giants.

This game needs a Yun summoner badly. Summoners are very fun to play. However, Lyn race sucks for those of us who would rather play a race who has boobs, those oily boobs that BNS advertises non-stop and built the game around.  

13 minutes ago, HarryTasker said:

They look fun to play but I simply don't feel comfortable playing an 8 year old in a game with Korean cosmetics.

1. They aren't 8 year old kids. 

2. Think of it as a 18yr old who has A cup's. (and yes people IRL have that issue, not many but they do.)

3. Lyn's are in tune more so then the other races with the spirit realm, thus allowing them to "summon" a familiar from the spirit realm to assist in the real world.  So to fit the story, and background on the race, the class being limited to Lyn makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, Dannikitsune said:

In addition many Asian girls look very, very young even well into adult-hood. If anything they remind me more of Asian females, compared to the other female races or something which is like your western idea of sexy or something

So true. 

1 minute ago, BeardedBourbon said:

Getting tired of seeing this crap cropping up all over again after Tera's falling out.

1. They're not lolis. "Loli" does not define a small person. Loli is short for Lolita which is a type of dress style. It has nothing to do with sizes.

2. They're not 8 year olds. Just because they're small, as children are small, doesn't make them around the age a human person would be that height.

3. If you have a problem playing it, sucks for you. That's how the game is and despite anyone wanting to believe otherwise, it is lore basic. The Lyn's historically have a very close tie to the Spirit Realm. They're capable of communicating with things beyond a human's comprehension. It's meant to make them unique similar to how Gons are basically giants.

As someone who enjoys the subculture aesthetic of lolita, I have to say I get what you're saying. But to play devils advocate, in Spanish "lolita" literally means "under aged prostitute" usually between the ages of 8-14...this is why so many people have a negative view of it, but I want them to understand that is not how *this* subculture see it. 

1 minute ago, Rhazes said:

This game needs a Yun summoner badly. Summoners are very fun to play. However, Lyn race sucks for those of us who would rather play a class who has boobs, those oily boobs that BNS advertises non-stop and built the game around.  

Honestly I agree on hating playing a character without boobs. I think no other race would fit Summoner really, however I feel there should be an option to allow Lyn females to have an A/B cup size added, without it being locked to 1 of the current 3 existing outfits. (None of which NA has currently, and 1 which EU has due to it being the winning outfit for EU's costume design contest.)

In all reality, I'd love it if my Lyn could have an A/B cup size, because to be honest, without having anything, the females look like crud in 90% of the costumes. (I don't want huge ones on a Lyn, but something to make the females look more feminine, then a Male Lyn, with different hair styles.)

6 minutes ago, Dannikitsune said:

As someone who enjoys the subculture aesthetic of lolita, I have to say I get what you're saying. But to play devils advocate, in Spanish "lolita" literally means "under aged prostitute" usually between the ages of 8-14...this is why so many people have a negative view of it, but I want them to understand that is not how *this* subculture see it. 

That's more a matter of people just being misinformed then and depicting it as canon in their head. In all honesty, I never knew lolita had a Spanish translation. Thanks for that knowledge bomb. Despite is definition, that's pretty cool to learn.

The only reason why I spoke of what I did is because when people hear "loli", their first connection is Japanese culture because they most likely heard it from someone else. Despite it (apparently) being true that lolita means underaged prostitute, everyone ASSOCIATES the word with Japanese culture and therein lies the false defining factor.  Loli/lolita IS typically represented with smaller woman (because of the stereotype that all asianic women are small). Because of the "small" identifying factor, people who don't know any better connect the "small" with "child". Not even child like; just a straight connection with children.

I'll admit it's frustrating to constantly hear it because it's a fine mix between ignorance and arrogance. Ignorance because they don't know any better but arrogant in the fact that when they're told otherwise and provided with evidence (or if they refuse to educate themselves on the matter), they insist on their definition of children which only pushes the wrongful definition further.

5 minutes ago, Mishi said:

Honestly I agree on hating playing a character without boobs. I think no other race would fit Summoner really, however I feel there should be an option to allow Lyn females to have an A/B cup size added, without it being locked to 1 of the current 3 existing outfits. (None of which NA has currently, and 1 which EU has due to it being the winning outfit for EU's costume design contest.)

In all reality, I'd love it if my Lyn could have an A/B cup size, because to be honest, without having anything, the females look like crud in 90% of the costumes. (I don't want huge ones on a Lyn, but something to make the females look more feminine, then a Male Lyn, with different hair styles.)

Something that's been taking pop-culture by storm (to where it applies) is the idea of androgynous (Neutral) archetypes. Whereas in most movies about aliens or something, every creature just so happens to have a more human form. Were it not for the hair and curves of the female Lyn, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a male and female. 

It's a rather creative design in the approach of creating a likable and impressionable character (More of a blank slate that a player can apply their image to).

Furthering this conversation on this specific topic would go out of my realm of creative writing, but that's about as much as I know on the topic.

14 minutes ago, Dannikitsune said:

lolita,  "lolita"

9 minutes ago, BeardedBourbon said:

"loli", lolita  Loli/lolita

From what I understood, the full word "lolita" is supposed to refer to the fashion subculture of desexualizing women's fashion and reinjecting it with innocence, whereas  "loli" is the anime/manga archetype of a promiscuous / fanserviced-up girl whose aesthetics present her as extremely underage and/or sexually immature sometimes with some contrived backstory to make it "technically" less skeevy in-universe.

At least that's how it's been described to me as.

And if I were to describe the Lyn by this distinction, I'd have to say they're not at all a "loli" race, since they're pretty much the only ones in this game that wear pants.

8 minutes ago, BeardedBourbon said:

Something that's been taking pop-culture by storm (to where it applies) is the idea of androgynous (Neutral) archetypes. Whereas in most movies about aliens or something, every creature just so happens to have a more human form. Were it not for the hair and curves of the female Lyn, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a male and female. 

It's a rather creative design in the approach of creating a likable and impressionable character (More of a blank slate that a player can apply their image to).

Furthering this conversation on this specific topic would go out of my realm of creative writing, but that's about as much as I know on the topic.

Which is fine, however the lyn females get 3 outfits which do add in boobs to them. (Which if sticking to the theme none should have it.)

Since adding in 2 bikini swimsuits and the EU winner's and having the boobs on those, NCsoft should add it in as a Option not restricted to which outfit is being worn. ^.~

Well there was a book called "Lolita" about a guy hooking up with his 12yo step-daughter.  I'm fairly certain that helped get it a bit more mainstream and helped inspire the nomenclature of everyone's favorite prepubescent anime trope.

32 minutes ago, Hidaru said:

I really wish they had kept to the original lyn concept as seen here :/ :http://mmoculture.com/2012/10/blade-soul-early-lyn-race-artwork-shows-a-different-vibe/ although I dont mind playing Lyn I really wish that if I created an old man/lady lyn they wouldnt walk/skip like children  : 

So we could've had full on furries?  See, Lolis don't sounds o bad now do they?

Imo, Lyn female don't need breasts just because they belong to a magic race. That just fits in the lore. They don't necessary need mammal accessories o  o That could also explain the little difference in appearance between male and female. Being one gender or the other could cater more to personality than real male/female thing.
That reminds me to the maiar spirits and lesser spirits in Tolkien lore (yes I now this is unrelated, it just reminds me to); they chose a male or a female appearance depending on their personalities and ideas.
BnS went much further than Tera in this. Tera forbade any other appearance related to Elin than the "young girl with big tighs".  BnS worked harder and gave the players a proper male appearance variation to the Lyns (the choice!), and even more, they can be even shorter/smaller or they can be old, with beard and full of wrinkles. That makes this race varied and far more customizable than in Tera for sure (played Tera 2 years). For this reason I made a Lyn male summoner. Just because I can :p with the tallest body : D

The summoner class could only appeal to other races if the summons were different. Imagine a gon with the little cute cat XD They could use a sabertooth, and the jin could use a lupus so to say.

6 hours ago, BeardedBourbon said:

"Lolita" itself is not a dress style, the term comes from a book written in 1950s where a ~40 year old dude gets obsessed with a 12 year old girl. The Japanese term loli is basically derived from this book and basically stands for a prepubescent girl.

Next time don't correct people when you yourself don't know anything about it.

Archived