Are you guys going to do a "Character Name" clean up someday?

iokunn

3 hours ago, DirectorTseng said:

Think you missed the rest of the post where I stated they should do like what Aion did for their 'cross server' where your actual server name or abbreviation of it was at the front of your name. So you could have more then one person with the same name running around but not conflict with each other for say whisper and party invites. 

I think you also missed my comment of "But indeed it might work if they had the server name in front but some people might not like idea of sharing their char name with someone else on different server". I did notice that but I would not like to share my name with someone else from other server in same region.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bottom line on WHY such a "clean up" of names either won't happen or won't happen anytime soon is because "founders" paid to reserve their character names. If they beat you to it, you just need to find some creativity within yourself to make a different name. You're not going to be able to bully or muscle your way into getting someone else's name, no matter how long they haven't played the game, since naming their character, be it a year or ten years from now. It's not up to you or anyone else to even worry about WHY they haven't played their character, and why it's still just level 1. That business is theirs and no one else's, personal or otherwise.

One thing helpful in BNS, however, is that you CAN have a space in your name, so you can have any first/given name paired with any number of last/surnames, as combinations.

However, if you covet someone else's first AND last name for yourself, you're just out of luck, and need to think of something else.

You don't NEED to have "Phil Spiderman" if someone else has it, when you could go with "Clark Superman" instead, for instance.

If you MUST have a first AND last name from your favorite video game, tv show, anime, paperback novel or whatever, it's all about the "first come, first serve" thing with character naming.

Just be glad that in BNS, you can name your character almost anything at all, without some automated filtering algorithm saying that your name isn't allowed to be used, for NOT being "in the spirit" of the game's lore and setting,  etc.. In those games, it's even tougher to get "known" or famous character names.

BNS allows for more creativity in character naming, but people still want to copy and paste from OTHER intellectual properties.

There's nothing wrong with that, but you DO have more options with BNS than most other games of this genre.

44 minutes ago, Shunaia said:

The bottom line on WHY such a "clean up" of names either won't happen or won't happen anytime soon is because "founders" paid to reserve their character names. If they beat you to it, you just need to find some creativity within yourself to make a different name. You're not going to be able to bully or muscle your way into getting someone else's name, no matter how long they haven't played the game, since naming their character, be it a year or ten years from now. It's not up to you or anyone else to even worry about WHY they haven't played their character, and why it's still just level 1. That business is theirs and no one else's, personal or otherwise.

One thing helpful in BNS, however, is that you CAN have a space in your name, so you can have any first/given name paired with any number of last/surnames, as combinations.

However, if you covet someone else's first AND last name for yourself, you're just out of luck, and need to think of something else.

You don't NEED to have "Phil Spiderman" if someone else has it, when you could go with "Clark Superman" instead, for instance.

If you MUST have a first AND last name from your favorite video game, tv show, anime, paperback novel or whatever, it's all about the "first come, first serve" thing with character naming.

Just be glad that in BNS, you can name your character almost anything at all, without some automated filtering algorithm saying that your name isn't allowed to be used, for NOT being "in the spirit" of the game's lore and setting,  etc.. In those games, it's even tougher to get "known" or famous character names.

BNS allows for more creativity in character naming, but people still want to copy and paste from OTHER intellectual properties.

There's nothing wrong with that, but you DO have more options with BNS than most other games of this genre.

That shouldn't be how it works. Sorry, but if someone has a low level character that has been inactive since around the first few months of the game, their character should be wiped. Doesn't matter if they payed money for the name. Besides, if they're inactive, what good does that money do for them? They've most likely quit the game by now.

Edit: Like I said, it's like you never played another game that wiped its characters. They wipe inactive, low level characters period. Doesn't matter if they bought the founders pack and reserved their name, they were still wiped if they were a low enough level and inactive for a certain period of time.

For those who think 1 year is enough.

In 2009 I started to play one MMO. Played 1 year and a half, leveled to 95, then game became boring and time-consuming (few dailies with low exp, hard-to-get gear, etc), and I quit my job and was looking for new one, so I quit the game. I logged in couple of times, just to look around. 5 years passed. In December 2015 I accidently heard that game's OST (very beautiful) and decided that I'll play it again for week or two. I didn't plan to level up my old character (as I remembered how hard it was back then in 2010), created new one. But then something gone wrong (or right xD) - I learned that leveling became much easier, about tons of new content for high levels and returned to my old character. Played for a year again, leveled it to ~306 level (that game has reborn system when after 100 you can become level one again, but with bonus stats and other benefits, I'm 102-102-102), geared up and game became boring again, and I started to play B&S. But I can't guarantee that I will not come back there in a year or two, despite the fact that I think that it's technicaly old, boring, p2w and stuff (never say never, you know). And I'm not the only one who has stopped for year or more. People need rest and new experience sometimes. And I value the fact that after 5 years my character still will be there and I can continue playing with my name and level.

And no, level doesn't matter, 1 or 10 or 50. if someone created a character, they may need it. And "name is busy" is so common situation in MMO, if you didn't start to play at the first day of the beta. Just be creative or add some characters in the beginning and the end. I for example just used "korean name generator" for my character, and will use it for new ones (If I'll make new char). Pressed a button few times, stopped on name that I liked, that's all.

Yes, level does matter. If a low level character has been inactive for about a year, it's likely that the person tried the game and didn't like it, so they quit. They probably won't be back. In the case of OP, the name that they want is occupied by a level 1 character that has been inactive since launch, meaning that the character probably has never even been played, seeing as you reach level 3 in the tutorial. 

I could see you guys being against character wipes if they wanted a name occupied by a character above level 20 or something, but not a level 1 character. Why do you guys care anyway? Unless this situation applies to you, and you have a low level character that you haven't touched since launch, I don't see how this situation affects you in any way. 

Edit: just noticed the line where you say "they may need it". This is a game, this isn't a necessity. They don't "need" to keep their characters. If anything, they "want"  to keep their characters. It's not the end of the world if your character is deleted.

35 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

Edit: just noticed the line where you say "they may need it". This is a game, this isn't a necessity. They don't "need" to keep their characters.

As well as OP doesn't need occupied name, right? And it's not the end of the world if they will not get it.

11 minutes ago, Gennady said:

As well as OP doesn't need occupied name, right? And it's not the end of the world if they will not get it.

You're right, but you have to understand how frustrating it is to not get a name that you want and then find out that it's being "used" by a level 1 character that hasn't been touched since launch. Saying that someone may "need" their level 1 character for future use is kind of ridiculous. That sounds more like an excuse you're using to justify never having a name wipe.

23 hours ago, Raizou said:

So what!? Lots of people here are working/studying/having rl problems/etc. so they haven't the time to play. When more than 10 years have passed after the user has logged in, i would understand you, but one year is too less. (I dont want to insult you, but...) Aren't you enough creative to make your own names!?

Not exactly it.... I mean, there has 2 nicknames i've been using since i was 16 years old(when i started playing mmo's), right now i'm at 27 age(11 years passed), exactly the same nickname is in use(both of them).

Also, i understand what you trying to say...

And btw, game I was talking about up and running for more than 8 years. Creating a new character is a big headache on old servers, as every simple/popular nickname is already taken. But this didn't stop me from creating 3 alts and finding names wasn't so big problem. However there were differenses: that was russian servers, names was unique per server (not for entire region) and both latin and cyrillic was allowed, so I was able to mix them to create names I wanted.

11 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

you have to understand how frustrating it is to not get a name that you want and then find out that it's being "used" by a level 1 character

How it is less frustrating if it's a 40-50 level character who stopped playing 6 months ago?

7 minutes ago, Gennady said:

How it is less frustrating if it's a 40-50 level character who stopped playing 6 months ago?

The level 40-50 character was at least used. The frustrating thing is that a name OP wants has been taken by a person who didn't even play the character. To me, that's more frustrating than a name being taken by a 40-50 who at least put some time into their character.

1 minute ago, Gennady said:

What if they leveled it to 50 and left undergeared while you could create top character? It's the same waste of name as in case of lv 1.

Did you read anything I said? I clearly said that the level 1 character was most likely never even played, and the reason I say that is because you reach level 3 in the tutorial. This isn't a matter of whether the level 50 character was used effectively or not. It's the fact that whoever owns that level 1 character probably never even logged into it.

13 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

To me, that's more frustrating than a name being taken by a 40-50 who at least put some time into their character.

What if they leveled it to 50 and left undergeared while you could create top character? It's the same waste of name as in case of lv 1.

19 minutes ago, Gennady said:

Much less frustrating, I'd imagine. Since there was some sense of dedication and time used on the character.

Just now, Gennady said:

You're kind of picking at straws now. Even if its left undergeared, that character would still have a history of accomplishment while the level 1 has nothing attached to it.

I don't mean this as an attack, but you seem oddly invested in keeping level 1 names when your own names come out of a random generator.

9 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

This isn't a matter of whether the level 50 character was used effectively or not. It's the fact that whoever owns that level 1 character probably never even logged into it.

Probably yes, probably no, probably they was hit by the car and having hard and long rehabilitation, who knows? What you and OP say looks to me like "Hey, he used my name and don't play, it's unfair". I'm trying to clarify, when unfair become fair? On level 10 or 25 or 50 hm 15 with top gear? Also, If someone will be deleted to give you a name, can you guarantee that you will not waste it and use it proudly?

Yes, practice of removing low level inactive characters exists in some games, with prior notification. But it's not ideal practice. In some countries you can be taken to an army, let's say for 1 year, and there will no PC with internet to play. Such ppl will not be able to do anything to prevent deletion.

9 minutes ago, Khaen said:

that character would still have a history of accomplishment while the level 1 has nothing attached to it.

Come on, your name was taken by some dude who you don't know. I don't see a difference if this guy has a level 1 or 50. 

I just don't like an idea that my (or anyone's) char can be removed just because I will not play for a year. I used to my generated name, after all :D At least "taken name" is not valuable reason for such action. I understand when it's done to cleanup database from extra data to make server run more smoothly. That's the only reason that I can take. And again, only for low (or reasonable) level with prior notification (3 months before is optimal).

21 minutes ago, Gennady said:

Probably yes, probably no, probably they was hit by the car and having hard and long rehabilitation, who knows? What you and OP say looks to me like "Hey, he used my name and don't play, it's unfair". I'm trying to clarify, when unfair become fair? On level 10 or 25 or 50 hm 15 with top gear? Also, If someone will be deleted to give you a name, can you guarantee that you will not waste it and use it proudly?

Yes, practice of removing low level inactive characters exists in some games, with prior notification. But it's not ideal practice. In some countries you can be taken to an army, let's say for 1 year, and there will no PC with internet to play. Such ppl will not be able to do anything to prevent deletion.

You're using a lot of excuses. Long rehabilitation, forced into the army, really? The last thing those people are probably thinking about is their characters that they won't be able to use for a long time.

Again, why are you so adamantly against it? Unless you have some low level character that you never play, I don't see how this affects you negatively at all.

And if you're so worried that your character is going to be deleted,  level it up to the minimum level before they delete characters. Thats what I normally do.

6 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

You're using a lot of excuses. Long rehabilitation, forced into the army, really? The last thing those people are probably thinking about is their characters that they won't be able to use for a long time.

Things happen with people, even if you don't believe. And eventually they can return to normal life. And your only argument is "They don't play".

8 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

Again, why are you so adamantly against it? Unless you have some low level character that you never play, I don't see how this affects you negatively at all.

I used to think from other's perspective, not just mine. Also, it does not affect me at this moment, but can affect in the future. What If I'll stop playing for few years? I bet someone like you will post "It's not likely that they will return, let's cleanup".

26 minutes ago, Gennady said:

Things happen with people, even if you don't believe. And eventually they can return to normal life. And your only argument is "They don't play".

I used to think from other's perspective, not just mine. Also, it does not affect me at this moment, but can affect in the future. What If I'll stop playing for few years? I bet someone like you will post "It's not likely that they will return, let's cleanup".

Listen, those people will have to suck it up. Sadly, not everything goes the way you want it. If they do eventually decide to wipe characters, there's nothing you can really do about it. They don't know people's situations, so they can only base it off how long the character has been inactive. If they do it like most companies do and send out an email beforehand, then you can save your character if you really feel the need to.

I don't know why you think you should be entitled to keep your name based solely on the fact that you have other things in life going on. Would you really be that affected if you came back to the game to see your character was wiped? I hope not.

Edit: I'm not trying to say that OP is entitled to having a name just because the character is inactive, but I don't see the reason to flame him for suggesting a character wipe.

32 minutes ago, BabyWing said:

but I don't see the reason to flame him

I don't flame him. I just described my own situation (I left the game for 5 years and didn't have intention to come back) and stated that you can't delete characters just to free names. It's not eligible reason and no company who in their mind would do it.

47 minutes ago, Gennady said:

I don't flame him. I just described my own situation (I left the game for 5 years and didn't have intention to come back) and stated that you can't delete characters just to free names. It's not eligible reason and no company who in their mind would do it.

They wouldn't be doing a character wipe to free up names. That's just a side-effect. Most reasons I saw to do a character wipe were because of server merges and to free up space for the merge.

I guess it's not flaming as much as it's adamantly being against any character wipes because you don't think any characters should ever be wiped.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:58 AM, BabyWing said:

That shouldn't be how it works. Sorry, but if someone has a low level character that has been inactive since around the first few months of the game, their character should be wiped. Doesn't matter if they payed money for the name. Besides, if they're inactive, what good does that money do for them? They've most likely quit the game by now.

Edit: Like I said, it's like you never played another game that wiped its characters. They wipe inactive, low level characters period. Doesn't matter if they bought the founders pack and reserved their name, they were still wiped if they were a low enough level and inactive for a certain period of time.

My point isn't that they simply "paid" for the name, but that the PAYING for such a thing is a literal CONTRACT for the payer to get that name and for the payee to let them keep it. It gives YOU, the coveting party, NO right to what the company and the original owner traded between them. You're a third party who has nothing to do with that particular trade.

After a period of time, maybe the guys running this game would do something like a wipe, but maybe not. I'm simply saying that if YOU can't think of another name for your own character and MUST have someone else's, that it's not the fault of someone who paid for the name and beat you to it. This isn't a new discussion, and it won't be the last. You just have no case for legally taking the owner's property and making it your own or available for you to own.

A couple of thoughs,

1) As we can read by all the comments there are players pro-founders (whatever a founder do they have the right to keep the name) and against-founder (after a while if character is not used => name wipe)

Id stay in the middle, as sending emails to the owner of the accounts asking to confirm if they want to keep the name, or even the character, and if not, wipe them. Ok with the fact that they someone paid for the name, but its also true that some people will  never return. Asking is good and polite.

2)True that this game allow the space in the name...but cricket...why not the numbers? Like an example said, if Phil Spiderman is taken, i can get PhilSpiderman1 2 3 and so on , they can allow a max number of numbers (ouch sound dumb) cause i dont think that we will have philspiderman999 but this way we can have a number we like near the toon name. If they dont want people that use numbers as letters (like writing ARIA as 4r14), they can allow numbers in the end of the name only (ever happened to check ur address on facebook? they did the same with ppl with the same name) or so...

Founder or not you do not keep the names, you only get them first that is all due to early access. I know this because the day I deleted my character to change the hair color I could not get the name back due to someone taking it right after. It's not for keeps. And don't think of anything like, it takes 7 days or something to reuse it that makes no sense to a player that was a founder, or any sense at all for the matter since they've claimed it was reserved.

Top it off, if they actually planned to reserve names they would have done it a simple way for founders i.e ask the player after creating the char to reserve it forever not make a default char with your name on it.

Archived