Are you guys going to do a "Character Name" clean up someday?

iokunn

Have been one year and I know that a lot of people left the game or change accounts or just move to different server or region and I am asking if the developers or whoever is in charge of that kind of job are going to perform some kind of "Name Clean Up" just like in other games happens. Because when we are trying to pick up a name that name is already in use perhaps for someone who even is not playing anymore.

So that's my question :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, iokunn said:

Have been one year and I know that a lot of people left the game or change accounts or just move to different server or region and I am asking if the developers or whoever is in charge of that kind of job are going to perform some kind of "Name Clean Up" just like in other games happens. Because when we are trying to pick up a name that name is already in use perhaps for someone who even is not playing anymore.

So that's my question :P

2 names i wanted to use when the game launched are already in use... And guess what? They both are still level 1 :)

3 minutes ago, XO said:

Lol if they did that it would probably be in several years not 1 year after the release.....

But tbh letting people take other people's names bc they aren't playing anymore is cheap and annoying

I don't mind if the person just quit the game, he can keep the name, but when u see a character 1 using a name since day  first day, what ya think?

Lol if they did that it would probably be in several years not 1 year after the release.....

But tbh letting people take other people's names bc they aren't playing anymore is cheap and annoying

9 minutes ago, Cheung said:

I don't mind if the person just quit the game, he can keep the name, but when u see a character 1 using a name since day  first day, what ya think?

I think people want names for other characters and maybe haven't had the chance to level them yet. Part of the perk of buying a founders pack was that you could get in earlier to secure names you wanted.

Just now, XO said:

I think people want names for other characters and maybe haven't had the chance to level them yet

"Haven't" had the chance to play after 1 year(exactly year i always look up profile to check the name, and it still there, after 1 year)

12 minutes ago, Cheung said:

"Haven't" had the chance to play after 1 year(exactly year i always look up profile to check the name, and it still there, after 1 year)

People could be focusing on 1? I have a sin I haven't really levelled after a year...she's like level 3? My interests went elsewhere.

You can't just assume, however annoying it may be, that you know why the char isn't being used lol.

11 minutes ago, Cheung said:

So what!? Lots of people here are working/studying/having rl problems/etc. so they haven't the time to play. When more than 10 years have passed after the user has logged in, i would understand you, but one year is too less. (I dont want to insult you, but...) Aren't you enough creative to make your own names!?

They will do a name wipe sooner or later since enough time has passed to see who's actually active and who's not.

Only thing that will take some time is finding out who were Founder's and reserved said names since it would be unfair for them to wipe that name when they paid to reserve it; whether they have played the game or not.

14 minutes ago, Zuzu said:

They will do a name wipe sooner or later since enough time has passed to see who's actually active and who's not.

Only thing that will take some time is finding out who were Founder's and reserved said names since it would be unfair for them to wipe that name when they paid to reserve it; whether they have played the game or not.

Again it's only been a year...and I think people who quit 6 months ago (or farther) might be coming back due to the new upgrade/client changes.

Just now, XO said:

Again it's only been a year...and I think people who quit 6 months ago (or farther) might be coming back due to the new upgrade/client changes.

A year is still more than enough time to see who's active or not. And if anything they would put a level requirement.

So if someone is let's say lv25 or lower will get their names wipe if they do not log in before the "TBA" maintenance. Or even they could put "If 'x' character has not completed the Viridian Coast story quests then the name will be wiped". They can put at least some perimeters so that people who have played and progressed passed a certain point can keep their names.

But I can see this thread pretty much pertaining to the characters that have been level 1 since the start of the game and are still level 1 till this day.

27 minutes ago, Zuzu said:

A year is still more than enough time to see who's active or not. And if anything they would put a level requirement.

So if someone is let's say lv25 or lower will get their names wipe if they do not log in before the "TBA" maintenance. Or even they could put "If 'x' character has not completed the Viridian Coast story quests then the name will be wiped". They can put at least some perimeters so that people who have played and progressed passed a certain point can keep their names.

But I can see this thread pretty much pertaining to the characters that have been level 1 since the start of the game and are still level 1 till this day.

And if the player is forced to not play for month, 6 months or a year due to some personal life matter, they got HM store outfit and then they return after that time to see that their low level newly made character has been wiped because people want to rush name clean up for their own personal use to get some certain name. One year is definitely NOT enough to see who is really not active because things happen in real life.

My previous mmo implemented name wipes pretty smoothly, if I recall. There weren't any riots at least that I remember.

What they did was pretty reasonable:
- filter by inactive accounts, aka ones that weren't logged in for around 3-6 months
- filter by level, below lv 10 I think..
- send out mass emails giving a warning of the name wipe
- send out free character name change coupons to characters affected by said wipe.

I don't know why people are so alarmed by the idea of a name wipe, unless they're wiping more than just the name.

It's really strange how BnS has their names set up. I expected it to be like any other MMO where the names are locked on the particular server. So you could have a character named billy on mushin and on gunnma.. Instead they have it so only on character in the entire game can have the name. As people have said you got a guy that made a toon on day one, hated the game and quit no one in all of NA bns can now use that name. 

They need to do like what Aion did so you don't run into issues with the Xserver. You put the server name in front of theirs. So like I had an asmo that was SL -Name but it only shows up in the cross server. 

With their current restrictions on names people are going to run out of names quickly or rely on strange alt code letters to make their names and that can be a royal pain in the ass. 

8 minutes ago, DirectorTseng said:

It's really strange how BnS has their names set up. I expected it to be like any other MMO where the names are locked on the particular server. So you could have a character named billy on mushin and on gunnma.. Instead they have it so only on character in the entire game can have the name.

That's because we have cross-server and all the servers in the region are connected in some way. Imagine if there were in your party suddenly two DirectorTseng (as example). There can be Billy in NA and Billy in EU though. But indeed it might work if they had the server name in front but some people might not like idea of sharing their char name with someone else on different server. What they should add is that captial letters and space do count to the name so you can have for example DirectorTseng and Director Tseng.

10 minutes ago, DirectorTseng said:

With their current restrictions on names people are going to run out of names quickly or rely on strange alt code letters to make their names and that can be a royal pain in the ass. 

Not necessarily true. There are already people (non-bots!) that have named their char like cjcksdjvbs (not real player...I hope XD) like one player in group2 eu. I don't know why but some people seem to love making names that seem like they just hit their head on keyboard and rolled it on the keyboard few times to pick char names.

18 minutes ago, Lunakitty said:

What they should add is that captial letters and space do count to the name so you can have for example DirectorTseng and Director Tseng.

Haven't we this already? I have a character with the name "X X". Or do you mean something different?

7 minutes ago, Raizou said:

Haven't we this already? I have a character with the name "X X". Or do you mean something different?

I mean there cannot be chars named XX and X X at the same time. At least when I tried creating character that was supposed to not exist it didn't matter was there space or not as there was char named XX while I tried to create X X. Unless they changed this.

7 minutes ago, Lunakitty said:

I mean there cannot be chars named XX and X X at the same time. At least when I tried creating character that was supposed to not exist it didn't matter was there space or not as there was char named XX while I tried to create X X. Unless they changed this.

I dont know how it was at OB launch, but as i created my SF i could name him with only one space between 2 names. Maybe you should try it again :)

2 minutes ago, Raizou said:

I dont know how it was at OB launch, but as i created my SF i could name him with only one space between 2 names. Maybe you should try it again :)

I think you are still misunderstanding what I mean. They have stated that only ONE space is possible BUT what I am saying it does NOT matter if there is that one space or not because if there is character named for example Lunakitty also Luna kitty has been blocked. So what I mean it does not matter if it's Lunakitty, Luna kitty or Luna Kitty it all is counted into the same name. All variants of that name are blocked once you name a character as such unless you add new letter.

1 hour ago, Lunakitty said:

And if the player is forced to not play for month, 6 months or a year due to some personal life matter, they got HM store outfit and then they return after that time to see that their low level newly made character has been wiped because people want to rush name clean up for their own personal use to get some certain name. One year is definitely NOT enough to see who is really not active because things happen in real life.

Man I wanna pick up a name for my main since the server started but some dude just have it since then and he has only 2 chars in that account both of them level 1 . . . I think is a little unfair for some of us. A lot of them just created the account made 2 chars and left . . . . . They wont return to this game again. 

8 minutes ago, iokunn said:

Man I wanna pick up a name for my main since the server started but some dude just have it since then and he has only 2 chars in that account both of them level 1 . . . I think is a little unfair for some of us. A lot of them just created the account made 2 chars and left . . . . . They wont return to this game again. 

I agree with the level 1 characters that are like sitting ducks for longer period but characters that are above that or above 10 should be spared longer as they still might return.

Even if its level 1...it could be a future character someone wants to level. Wanting them to do a name wipe when the game is barely a year old in NA/EU because someone has a name you want and you can't have it is so....greedy. Have you tried variations of the name? Tried spelling it differently? Like instead of complaining and trying to steal names get creative ffs

2 hours ago, XO said:

Even if its level 1...it could be a future character someone wants to level.

You're REALLY reaching with this. If a character has been level 1 since around launch, it's most likely never going to be touched again. Hell, that entire account may have been abandoned by now according to what OP said.

I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about. It's like you guys never played another game that wiped inactive characters. Wiping characters that were made around launch that are still currently a low level that can be achieved in a day should not be a big deal. I don't know why you guys are making it into one.

12 hours ago, Lunakitty said:

That's because we have cross-server and all the servers in the region are connected in some way. Imagine if there were in your party suddenly two DirectorTseng (as example). There can be Billy in NA and Billy in EU though. But indeed it might work if they had the server name in front but some people might not like idea of sharing their char name with someone else on different server. What they should add is that captial letters and space do count to the name so you can have for example DirectorTseng and Director Tseng.

Think you missed the rest of the post where I stated they should do like what Aion did for their 'cross server' where your actual server name or abbreviation of it was at the front of your name. So you could have more then one person with the same name running around but not conflict with each other for say whisper and party invites. 

Archived