Are you guys going to do a "Character Name" clean up someday?

iokunn

3 hours ago, Dad said:

I know what you're saying, but Founder or not you do not keep the names, you only get them first that is all due to early access. I know this because the day I deleted my character to change the hair color I could not get the name back due to someone taking it right after. It's not for keeps. And don't think of anything like, it takes 7 days or something to reuse it that makes no sense to a player that was a founder, or any sense at all for the matter since they've claimed it was reserved.

Top it off, if they actually planned to reserve names they would have done it a simple way for founders i.e ask the player after creating the char to reserve it forever not make a default char with your name on it.

I know what you're saying, but we're not talking about the scenario where you DELETE the character with the name you reserved, re-make your character, and THINK that name is still yours, because you reserved it. Yes, the founders' packs allow them to get a name first, but if they ever relinquish it, like in the case of deleting your character to re-make it, that name BECOMES up-for-grabs again, because you released it back into the "pool", so to speak. No, that isn't what we're talking about, though.

We're discussing how people who haven't played the game in a while, who got certain names reserved, are being coveted for those names by people who did NOT beat them to those names, and who are INSISTING that they have that "unused" character/name put back into the "pool" so that THEY can have it for themselves.

That character might have reserved that name and might have been level one since launch, but it still gives no one else the right to have it, just because they're jealous that someone else got the name they want, and because they want some sort of method for wresting that name from them, just because their opinion is that the original owner "does not need it anymore", or "never cared to play BNS anyway", etc..

It doesn't matter what the reason is that you FEEL the name's owner SHOULD let go of the name they paid to get before everyone else. The fact of the matter is, is that the owner paid the guys running the game, by buying a founder pack or whatever, and it is a LEGALLY-binding contract that is backed by a paper trail, physical or digital.

If you could convince the original owner to delete that character, so you can have his/her blessing to make that name your own, that's a deal between YOU and HIM/HER.

Until you two parties make such an agreement, however, the deal they owner made with the guys running the game - it has NOTHING to do with you, the third, irrelevent party, who covets the name and just CANNOT seem to think of a name that you can settle for, even with the HUGE amount of freedom BNS allows for character naming.

This brings me to another point: WHY are you HERE, on the forums, complaining and pleading your case for us and NC, INSTEAD of actually trying to contact the people with the names you want...? It seems cowardly to go to upper management for a change in situation between you and your colleagues, when you COULD try to deal in private, between you and them. Oh, and before you CLAIM that you have already tried and make it out like you've exhausted ALL means to contact the name's owner with no success, because they're un-reachable, and on hiatus from BNS - THAT is the energy and thought that you COULD be putting toward coming up with a different name for your character.

All of you FOR the name-wipe idea, who are being unreasonable and childish, you got beaten in the race to get that name. Don't be a sore loser, and strive to look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you must have "Erza Scarlet" as your character name, and won't be satisfied with having an extra letter "L" in the last name, or if you do not want to do something silly like put "XxX" at the start and end of your name, without spaces, just consider the fact that there are probably a hundred OTHER players who ARE settling with such adjustments to their names and even if they DID do a name wipe as you so strongly request, it will just go back into the "pool", being up-for-grabs between you and EVERYONE else who would just happen to be making a character at the same time you think you're about to get it for yourself. If you lose AGAIN, are you going to ask for ANOTHER wipe - a "do over", because someone else beat you to it AGAIN...?

Grow up.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think character name wipe is only reasonable if they give a time frame. For example, if the character is inactive for more than 6 or 9 months, then it is clear that the players quitted the game already. Even if they bought the founder pack, wouldn't it be a waste for those names being taken? So, let's say if the characters are active or logged in at least once within 3 months (counting from the date when they do clean up announcement), then they can keep their character names?

Also, character name wipe is NOT equal to character wipe. Even if the player characters' names got wiped and then come back to play in the future, they can pick a new name during login.

There are people suggesting to contact the player with the name you want to use and ask him/her if they can name change (of course you have to buy the name). However, what happen if I can't contact that player (never online again)? 

Have you guys actually tried to check what level are characters with popular names? Common discord bots give you such options. If you try to check these things its obvious, some people took the names for some reason and left 95% of them on lvl1 characters. Whats more, these accounts have multiple characters, not just 2, someone actually paid money to get more slots, to put more lvl1 chars there. Even if its just a way to get some gold from people who want that name I'd be fine with that, but I dont think there is any advertisment or announcement about this. Reddit, popular discord channels, forums, twitter, I dont think I saw any info of this sort in these places.

With these informations in mind I would really opt for character name wipe, with mails sent only when account wasnt logged in for more than 6 months+, explaining that the names you hold on lvl1 chars will be wiped in 1 month, you will be given free character name change scroll or something of that nature to all affected chars, to prevent this simply log in on your account to keep it safe. Thats my idea, feasible I hope.

3 hours ago, Shunaia said:

I know what you're saying, but we're not talking about the scenario where you DELETE the character with the name you reserved, re-make your character, and THINK that name is still yours, because you reserved it. Yes, the founders' packs allow them to get a name first, but if they ever relinquish it, like in the case of deleting your character to re-make it, that name BECOMES up-for-grabs again, because you released it back into the "pool", so to speak. No, that isn't what we're talking about, though.

We're discussing how people who haven't played the game in a while, who got certain names reserved, are being coveted for those names by people who did NOT beat them to those names, and who are INSISTING that they have that "unused" character/name put back into the "pool" so that THEY can have it for themselves.

That character might have reserved that name and might have been level one since launch, but it still gives no one else the right to have it, just because they're jealous that someone else got the name they want, and because they want some sort of method for wresting that name from them, just because their opinion is that the original owner "does not need it anymore", or "never cared to play BNS anyway", etc..

It doesn't matter what the reason is that you FEEL the name's owner SHOULD let go of the name they paid to get before everyone else. The fact of the matter is, is that the owner paid the guys running the game, by buying a founder pack or whatever, and it is a LEGALLY-binding contract that is backed by a paper trail, physical or digital.

If you could convince the original owner to delete that character, so you can have his/her blessing to make that name your own, that's a deal between YOU and HIM/HER.

Until you two parties make such an agreement, however, the deal they owner made with the guys running the game - it has NOTHING to do with you, the third, irrelevent party, who covets the name and just CANNOT seem to think of a name that you can settle for, even with the HUGE amount of freedom BNS allows for character naming.

This brings me to another point: WHY are you HERE, on the forums, complaining and pleading your case for us and NC, INSTEAD of actually trying to contact the people with the names you want...? It seems cowardly to go to upper management for a change in situation between you and your colleagues, when you COULD try to deal in private, between you and them. Oh, and before you CLAIM that you have already tried and make it out like you've exhausted ALL means to contact the name's owner with no success, because they're un-reachable, and on hiatus from BNS - THAT is the energy and thought that you COULD be putting toward coming up with a different name for your character.

All of you FOR the name-wipe idea, who are being unreasonable and childish, you got beaten in the race to get that name. Don't be a sore loser, and strive to look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you must have "Erza Scarlet" as your character name, and won't be satisfied with having an extra letter "L" in the last name, or if you do not want to do something silly like put "XxX" at the start and end of your name, without spaces, just consider the fact that there are probably a hundred OTHER players who ARE settling with such adjustments to their names and even if they DID do a name wipe as you so strongly request, it will just go back into the "pool", being up-for-grabs between you and EVERYONE else who would just happen to be making a character at the same time you think you're about to get it for yourself. If you lose AGAIN, are you going to ask for ANOTHER wipe - a "do over", because someone else beat you to it AGAIN...?

Grow up.

I feel like you're getting aggravated for no reason. OP merely made a suggestion. Saying things like "grow up" and calling people childish is pretty unnecessary; nobody else resorted to being rude like that, so why are you? Sounds like you're the one who really needs to grow up.

You also keep saying the same thing about some "legally binding contract". Anyone can just say things like that. Sorry for being skeptical, but I have a hard time believing some random person on the internet spouting crap about some legally binding contract. If this is a thing, then why aren't other companies apparently subjected to it? I've played other games that had name reservation but still wiped inactive characters. Why is it such a big deal for this game,  but not for other games? It doesn't make sense.

Is there really that much of a name scarcity, i know for a fact i can get nearly every name in the game if i use accented vowels using alt numeric keys, I just created a character called yuri using all accented vowels last month with no problem, be creative in how you use names. (although it is a pain in the ass to search those people up in f2)

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2017 at 5:19 PM, BabyWing said:

I feel like you're getting aggravated for no reason. OP merely made a suggestion. Saying things like "grow up" and calling people childish is pretty unnecessary; nobody else resorted to being rude like that, so why are you? Sounds like you're the one who really needs to grow up.

You also keep saying the same thing about some "legally binding contract". Anyone can just say things like that. Sorry for being skeptical, but I have a hard time believing some random person on the internet spouting crap about some legally binding contract. If this is a thing, then why aren't other companies apparently subjected to it? I've played other games that had name reservation but still wiped inactive characters. Why is it such a big deal for this game,  but not for other games? It doesn't make sense.

I'm actually not "aggravated" at all, and I'm not spouting "random crap", because I actually studied law, many years ago, in college. I also have an education in marketing, consumer services, and business management, as well as have to deal with such things in my current work, which I've tons of experience with. Calling me childish for calling someone out for actually feeling entitled to someone else's property is just low-hanging fruit, but to be expected from someone who knows next-to-nothing about me, a stranger on the internet who's just told you about herself without even giving the tip of the iceberg that is her life story. That was me being silly, by the way, since "life story" are two words people often dismiss and under mine as irrelevant, upon hearing the slightest hint of them.

I never expected to come back to this topic at all, but I was curious to see who commended me for past remarks, and for why.^^;

Archived