Account Hacked: Should You Risk Spending Money on NCSoft?

Snarkysaurus

So someone tried to hack my account this morning at like 3 am. Luckily I got off work at midnight, so I was actually up and able to react to several email notices that came all at once, letting me know that my password had been changed and a 2-step verification added to my account. I was able to use my email to reset my password, delete the 2-step, and then add my own. Had I been asleep, my account would likely just have been gone; an account I've put money onto, mind you.

Thing is, I haven't been keylogged. There's nothing on my computer. I've never tried to log onto an NCSoft site, (I do all account things from in-game) so I wasn't phished. I also don't use my NCSoft password for anything else. The only way this could have happened (and pay attention to this one) is: NCSoft's System Was Hacked. Which, granted, sounds worse than it is; just add a phone verification. Unfortunately you don't need it to log into the site. So anyone who gets your password can remove it, and then proceed to empty your characters' stuff onto their credit bots.

Given all of that, should I even continue playing, let alone basically giving money away?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah...Its happened to me where they stole all my gold and sold all my valuables and left me with 29 silvers.  Cant do anything but to start a new character to play on.  Contacted support and all they do is change my email and refuse to restore anything back to me.  What they said was its not their fault that i got hacked so suck it up and deal with it cuz they dont give a fuk.

If NCsoft got hacked EVERYONE (Or at least a large portion) would have their accounts compromised and we'd all be notified of the event by now. This ones on you. As much as I love sandbagging NCSoft, this is a baseless accusation with no real evidence aside from "I know there's nothing on my computer" which is quite literally, nothing. In all likelihood some other service/site/whatever you signed up to with e same email address was compromised. It doesn't take long to find out all the placed that specific email has been subscribed to and try out that or variations of that password there. That's just one example though.

Snarkysaurus, you're not alone. I was hacked last night as well, except I was not awake to prevent it. I was unable to log in the morning and, upon further investigation, my email was also changed so I am not even able to request a password change. My account is completely gone and I still do not have a response from support about it. They also charged $600 to my debit card that was on file.

I'm not sure how they got through my pin authentication and the ip change code. My email has no signs of being compromised, but I have changed the password anyway. Like you, I did a full scan of my PC and did not find anything at all. I also have not done anything with my game account except purchase ~$15 worth of NCoin a few days ago. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Also, I had to make a new NC Account just to post this since I still do not have access to my main account.

You are absolutely correct, the 2 step verification should cover account login on the website too. It's utterly pointless to have it on your account if someone can just log in via the website and remove it.

I have 2 step on my account and wasn't actually aware it could just be removed in such a manner if your account is compromised, that's actually pretty worrying :(

yeah one thing i really don't understand and doesn't make any sense right now as it is. Why the WEBSITE DON'T ASK THE *cricket*ING AUTHENTICATION CODE when you login?!!!!!!

Battle.net ask that in the client and website! Steam does that in website and the client!

1 minute ago, nestharus said:

Don't they need to click on a link in your email in order to remove two-step verification?

yeah i just tried that but they can see your personal information! if you buy ncoin and choose pay with card they will see your personal information like name, address, phone number etc.

So unless your email has the same password as your B&S account, how are they getting into your email?

I personally have two-step verification on both my email account and on B&S. Ain't nobody getting into either, lol. Got it on paypal and amazon too. My cell phone is also locked and requires a really complex pattern to get into it. I used to have nightmares about forgetting it : (. In fact, I still do, haha ; D. I have shown people the pattern and asked them to duplicate it and nobody's been able to remember it, even after being shown it four or five times slowly.

1 minute ago, nestharus said:

So unless your email has the same password as your B&S account, how are they getting into your email?

I personally have two-step verification on both my email account and on B&S. Ain't nobody getting into either, lol.

Prob this. must of fallen for the oldest trick in the book.

Did you know that BnS blocks your password from chat? Look **********

2 minutes ago, nestharus said:

I personally have two-step verification on both my email account and on B&S. Ain't nobody getting into either, lol. Got it on paypal too.

Nestharus,

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I had the six digit pin set up and it did not appear to matter. My email has a password that is never used for anything else and I could not find a keylogger on my PC. I do not know how they got into my account and yet, here I am.

4 minutes ago, Fablewings said:

Prob this. must of fallen for the oldest trick in the book.

Did you know that BnS blocks your password from chat? Look **********

took me some time to understand the trick hahahah 

5 minutes ago, JustinC said:

Nestharus,

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I had the six digit pin set up and it did not appear to matter. My email has a password that is never used for anything else and I could not find a keylogger on my PC. I do not know how they got into my account and yet, here I am.

I don't know how they disabled two-step verification without going through your email.

Also, does it really block your password from chat?

*edited*

omg omg omg, that's cool! It even changes the length O_o.

Sql injection and some players probably useing the same password on their email and ncsoft account and maybe thats how the perpetrators got lucky?

But for the sql to happen anyways the fault has to be NCsoft's constraints which is something thats easily set up to prevent this but idk what to thing with this publisher anymore. This is my first game under them and it will be my last.

8 minutes ago, nestharus said:

I don't know how they disabled two-step verification without going through your email.

Also, does it really block your password from chat?

*edited*

omg omg omg, that's cool! It even changes the length O_o.

Also works with all major credit cards.

1459-****-****-****

• 1 month later...

so this happened one month ago. And i just got exactly the same two days ago at exact time around 3AM. The thing is i was playing arena and all of sudden i got logged off. When i tried to log on, everything doesn't work anymore. And i check my email, there are two security notifications about someone trying to log into my accounts. My email password is totally different from game password and this make me wonder how could they hack into my account if they don't have the security code? I react and did everything i need right away to get the account back and happened to get back my account from NCSOFT support and they just change my account to new email, that's it. I checked the transaction history right away and see 500$ charge with 5 purchases NCSOFT coins right on april 6 the same day. This make me wonder NCSOFT security system because i have been playing game my entire life for 18 years and never get hacked by anything because i don't use any third software or click on any dangerous website and i totally hate buying gold or using bot. I'm the real gamer, not some cheap lazy gamer "pay to win". I have filed a ticket to NCSOFT to work on it and refund those charges that i never make. They could easily tracked where did the transaction made and the location of the services.... if they can't fix or refund this to me. I swear this would be the last time i play NCSOFT game. There is no freaking way someone could just easily hacked or log into someone's account without security code. What's the point of the code then? i don't really bother to log in to play now anymore. My account lost all the gold, some items and even the white dragon costume i have. All of those things doesn't matter because i can earn it back in no time or would buy a new costume anytime. But the fact that i still wait for them to call me back or to email be back about the refund made me not bother to play anymore. I really really can't trust their security system or spending more money in future if they can't solve this.

You're not alone, two days ago my boyfriends account got hacked and we weren't awake to prevent it. They made over a dozen $100 charges to his card, causing his bank to deactivate his card. They added 2 step to his account in order to bypass his pin, and completely emptied out all of his character of everything. When he emailed support, they responded saying that a lot of users had reported this happening to them. Ncsofts security is absolutely terrible 

So I noticed that most ppl who got hacked hav described having either a credit or debit card on file in the game. 

Why oh WHY would you do that? I hope things can work out tho it seems unlikely. Has anyone that uses paypal gotten hacked? Or anyone that buys ncoin with amazon? 

I'm curious to know to help speculate what can be done to avoid being hacked. 

Further pls do not put a card on ur ncsoft account! Why?! How does that seem like a good idea? 

Archived