This MMO is so basic it hurts

spiritessence

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, spiritessence said:

The combat system of Tera was fantastic and the scenery was a lot more impressive. They put more emphasize on PvE which is important in my opinion. It's a major portion of the game so it should be good. The combat is fast and skill based. Master block and attacks and you can solo a lot in that game. You can even interupt combos to adapt to a situation in combat. We also have BAMS (Big Ass Monsters) each with their own interesting mechanics. 

Tera is not perfect, and basic in some ways. But the combat system was fantastic for an action based mmo.

See I found Tera to be easy and boring. Lancer and Mystic were faceroll easy to me. I'm finding the Kung Fu Master here very rewarding. He is slower paced combat wise, but rewarding if you time things correctly.

7 hours ago, spiritessence said:

Greetings!

This is a ranty feedback. Use it as you wish

So I gave this game a try. My friend started playing it, I was bored and was looking for a new game to invest my time in, and from the videos I saw, this game looked really good. But I was so wrong. This is just another basic mmo, with slightly better graphics and slightly better combat.

Issues according to me:
- Weak story (The story is so basic it hurts)

- Terrible character models

- Scenery is unimpressive and boring to look at

- NPC's are VERY static and does nothing interesting

- Enemies are gathered nicely like a bunch of cattle on each field

- Ability animations are fine, but idle animations are a joke

- We don't have default dodge

- Cooldowns are long and slows down the combat
- We can't modify our skill tree but instead are forced to use our basic ones, while the rest are locked behind combos

- We can't interupt skills and adapt to combat situations

- The assassin has a freaking landmine......

- Slow movement speed during combat

- WAY too much emphasize on female characters 

I could go on with this list but I wont. Bottom line, the game looks better than older mmos, and the combat is a step forward from turn based combat. But considering we have games like Tera, Vindictus and FFXIV, I simply don't understand why anyone would play this game. It's so basic, there is nothing unique or innovative about it. Hell the game was suppossedly great because of its combat system, but I found it slow, dull and extremely unengaging. 

So that's it for me. I won't be playing this game. 

Guh-bye

This is like someone who hasn't played over level 25 or something.  The skills here are some of the best there are.  There aren't interrupts for bosses usually, but there are for other monsters, and counters, and you very very very much can (and should) adapt to different situations with different skill setups.

There are a lot of stories going on here, not just the main one.  I understand that main line is somewhat generic - but it's still somewhat interesting and there is far more going on in the world than that.

Look, I'm one of the biggest supporters of equality for both gender characters in games, that's been a huge argument and debate of mine for years.  And yet if you joined this game without knowing that it's over sexuilized, I'm just at a loss here.  This isn't one of the games that are for all ages and family members.  It's a mature rated game specifically made to have big stupid looking oversized breasts and rears etc.  While in most MMORPGs that are supposedly for everybody I very much think it's silly the way that female armor and male armor compare.  Here, you have a choice yourself of how you dress and look so it's not like you're forced to look one way or the other.  Secondly it's purposely made to be super sexuilized and well, they need to be able to make games like this too.  It's not trying to act as if it's normal and the females just happen to be this way it's very purposeful and we've known this and been shown and told this for years, and it's not rated for everybody.  These type of games do have a right to exist too and it's the wrong game to argue about female portrayal in really (again, it's all up to us how we look and dress here as well).

Mostly you played a tiny bit and don't really understand the game.  But hey, it's not for everybody.  I don't know why you had to come and write this long goodbye note but whatever.  Later!

15 minutes ago, ben61704 said:

AA? Did you see in gfx options they have created their own LEAA? Try that, or do what I do and override the games AA with the gfx cards AA. Looks marvelous. But I agree, the basic FXAA or whatever looks bad in BnS.

I tried both AA's as well as forcing AA from my GTX 970. It's specifically the aliasing on buildings/trees. Players isn't bad, in fact it's fine. I'm also running Dynamic Super Resolution with softening on 20% at DSRx4.

It should be totally the opposite of what I'm seeing and yet there it is. I've made sure it was set to forced and then tried application controlled again. Zero difference :S...

The emphasize on female character body parts  is insane in this game, i hate it.

End-game is lacking. This is the first game I've played where I hit max and there was no super bad end-game boss to finish off the first Arc of the story. 

Doesnt even having a training dummy to hit like in tab-target mmo's.

Arena based pvp is too objective. Taking off a costume to enable and disable pvp is not like "traditional" mmo's. For some action mmo's that are suppose to be changing the game, the one that truly did that was Tera. Fun battlegrounds, pve content is, huge end-game, open world faction pvp. I just hoped when NA localized blade and soul, I HOPED they would change a few more things.

Can I has a training dummy to hit? I know there is one in Mushin's tower, but. . .why isn't there one on release? This game *cricket*ed up where it could do so much better. Everyone put your hands together as we pray to Iksanun to teleport us to launch of Black Desert.

14 minutes ago, MewmewGirl said:

Look, I'm one of the biggest supporters of equality for both gender characters in games, that's been a huge argument and debate of mine for years.  And yet if you joined this game without knowing that it's over sexuilized, I'm just at a loss here.  This isn't one of the games that are for all ages and family members.  It's a mature rated game specifically made to have big stupid looking oversized breasts and rears etc.  While in most MMORPGs that are supposedly for everybody I very much think it's silly the way that female armor and male armor compare.  Here, you have a choice yourself of how you dress and look so it's not like you're forced to look one way or the other.  Secondly it's purposely made to be super sexuilized and well, they need to be able to make games like this too.  It's not trying to act as if it's normal and the females just happen to be this way it's very purposeful and we've known this and been shown and told this for years, and it's not rated for everybody.  These type of games do have a right to exist too and it's the wrong game to argue about female portrayal in really (again, it's all up to us how we look and dress here as well).

While, you can make the females with oversize breast and buttocks (and I admit, I've done so too), unless you plan on running around in your skivies, you're pretty much watching a fully clothes female character running, and fighting. Hell, for the most part, you're not paying attention to you're character's jiggle physics, you're paying attention to the onscreen enemies. The only time you think about what your character looks like is when you see them in a cut scene or when you get a new outfit, and try it on to see what it looks like. In that way, we are like the women we're playing; wanting to see if we look good in our new digs. Hell, just for S&Gs, I tried out the available outfits in the wardrobe previewer, seeing what fits my character's style, and what doesn't, and wishing there were more of a selection.

From my understanding, the toned down the sexualized content for NA; so for those complaining that it's too much; just think, it could have been 'worse'. 

I had a blast with TERA for about a month. The Gunner was so fun to play. But very easy to level up. I tried other characters, but didn't like them. Devilian was fun too for the first couple of weeks. Then they killed it before it really got off the ground.

As for BnS, I am having a blast. I don't PVP, and still am having a great time. But that's just me. I don't go into a game with any expectations. I just go in and play it. If it's not for me, then I just leave. Heck, I'd probably still be playing WoW if they didn't make it so every Wizard was just like every other Wizard. I loved making Hybrid characters. but then they made it so you really didn't have much say on where you put your skill points. Blah... that's what the problem was with City of Heroes. Fun game, but every character was just like another of the same character. Armor played no factor into the game.

Anyways... if you don't like the game all that much, there are others out there to play.

Just now, Rincewind said:

"WAY too much emphasize on female characters"?

I would liked more emphasize in female characters. In fact, I would have made a game without male characters at all.

You're awesome, can we be friends?

37 minutes ago, Glint said:

I tried both AA's as well as forcing AA from my GTX 970. It's specifically the aliasing on buildings/trees. Players isn't bad, in fact it's fine. I'm also running Dynamic Super Resolution with softening on 20% at DSRx4.

It should be totally the opposite of what I'm seeing and yet there it is. I've made sure it was set to forced and then tried application controlled again. Zero difference :S...

That sucks, I hope you get it figured out. It made a day and night difference for me.

The shimmering and crawling is bad. But I was speaking to a friend and it could just be the fact my mobo is not optimized to run with my SSD and I'm experiencing like, 40% of my potential rather than what I should be running. Only thing I can think of. It happened in Chinese/RUS servers too :S. Doesn't happen in FO4 or Skyrim or Aion.

Excuses for sake of coming up with excuses. "Story is so basic it hurts". Its nowhere near being basic , its just you who didnt read the story properly. There is no other MMO not even WoW that has more interesting characters than the ones on Blade and Soul.

Scenery is boring to look at ? Quality of artcraft in maps is second to triple A single player games.

Cooldowns are not long, you are just too low level.

We can't modify our skill tree but instead are forced to use our basic ones, while the rest are locked behind combos

These are just plain false, proves that you didnt play the game at all. You can modify skill tree, in a very deep level, it starts at level 15. You can interrupt skills, you NEED to adapt to combat situations, especially on PvP. Again, you are too low level, you havent faced high level content where game forces you to be able to adapt.

You said you logged out at level 6, yet you say "story is basic". Dude, you havent even seen %1 of story by level 6. Dafuq are you talking about. And what kind of insanely high level retard are you for saying "combat is too slow" judging by 3 buttons you have at level 6? Are you seriously *cricket*ing braindead? Combat is nowhere near "slow", in fact its the fastest MMO combat you will ever see. You just need to unlock all of your skills to experiance the true pace of combat. 

4 minutes ago, Navhkrin said:

Excuses for sake of coming up with excuses. "Story is so basic it hurts". Its nowhere near being basic , its just you who didnt read the story properly. There is no other MMO not even WoW that has more interesting characters than the ones on Blade and Soul.

Scenery is boring to look at ? Quality of artcraft in maps is second to triple A single player games.

Cooldowns are not long, you are just too low level.

We can't modify our skill tree but instead are forced to use our basic ones, while the rest are locked behind combos

These are just plain false, proves that you didnt play the game at all. You can modify skill tree, in a very deep level, it starts at level 15. You can interrupt skills, you NEED to adapt to combat situations, especially on PvP. Again, you are too low level, you havent faced high level content where game forces you to be able to adapt.

You said you logged out at level 6, yet you say "story is basic". Dude, you havent even seen %1 of story by level 6. Dafuq are you talking about. And what kind of insanely high level retard are you for saying "combat is too slow" judging by 3 buttons you have at level 6? Are you seriously *cricket*ing braindead? Combat is nowhere near "slow", in fact its the fastest MMO combat you will ever see. You just need to unlock all of your skills to experiance the true pace of combat. 

I respect you!

2 hours ago, Bladder said:

I'd be curious to know just what level he got to before getting all elitist...

10 hours ago, spiritessence said:

I think I logged out at lvl 6 or 7. Doesn't change the points that I made though, regardless of my levels.

He apparently only got to level 7. He didn't get all his skills, didn't get the K key skills, didn't even meet that NPC you meet in like every map who keeps changes careers. I think his name is Opah or Opal. I have been seeing him a lot so I am only now thinking I should learn his name. xD

Its like reading the back of the Harry potter book and then complaining that nothing happens simply despite it only being the synopsis .

10 hours ago, spiritessence said:

I think I logged out at lvl 6 or 7. Doesn't change the points that I made though, regardless of my levels.

Then of course it looks like the combat is slow the story is so basic. You haven't unlocked more than 10% of your abilities yet and haven't seen how things go. You're only a few levels past the tutorial.

Also, since you said we got games like FFXIV, the complaint I hear from people who are new to it is how painfully slow combat is. Guess how many high levels call combat slow?

It's the same case here.

21 hours ago, Yancha said:

To be fair

The story is pretty basic

A friend of mine critiqued it heavily but i argued it wasnt as bad as he says

Coming from someone who likes to write stories to someone who likes to be overly judgmental you can imagine how that conversation went

I could respond to this post with the exact same thing you quoted. I'm not really sure why you even quoted me...?

On 1/26/2016 at 5:42 AM, Teisho said:

I could respond to this post with the exact same thing you quoted. I'm not really sure why you even quoted me...?

Because unlike OP i got through the better part of the story already and unlike you i have a point to make thats more than pointless insults

If you think your quote can work with that then youre going to be for a little bit of a shock

34 minutes ago, Yancha said:

Because unlike OP i got through the better part of the story already and unlike you i have a point to make thats more than pointless insults

If you think your quote can work with that then youre going to be for a little bit of a shock

So despite having a point that's supposedly better than mine you choose not to make it for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Okay.

On 1/26/2016 at 6:41 AM, Teisho said:

So despite having a point that's supposedly better than mine you choose not to make it for reasons unbeknownst to me.

Okay.

What point am i not making?

The story is basic but not as bad as OP thinks

I dont know if i can simplify it more than that

Just now, Yancha said:

What point am i not making?

The story is basic but not as bad as OP thinks

I dont know if i can simplify it more than that

I am asking both you and the OP to explain what you mean by basic and to not rely on oversimplification to the point of absurdity to do so.

Archived