Extremely offensive chat.

Doddger

Look, let's all stop flailing at each other, it isn't getting anyone anywhere. What is "offensive" to some people clearly isn't offensive to others, and there are broad definitiions of what is and isn't acceptable that range from culture to culture. There will always be both sides of the spectrum represented here, from foul mouthed little jerks who want to ruin other people's fun, to the nun like parents who want everyone to say "shoot and "frick." There are a good bit of us in the middle who don't mind a little edge in our speech but would still rather no one be overly rude or hurtful. It's a give and take, and there's no real great way to balance it out, but I promise you calling each other care bears and hardarses isn't gonna get you a dang thing.

But that's none of my business...

Edit: SEE, distracted me from my own point...

On topic, I have actually left a server because the chat was so far away from my personal taste it made doing anything else in the game very un-fun. There are lines for every person, who must choose where to draw them, but aggressive, hateful, and spiteful language against other peoples races or cultures, or even choice in music simply has no place anywhere to me. I will not deny that it is significantly worse here than in other MMOs I have played, but strangely enough it follows the trend for "action" MMOs. Maybe something about the competitive crowd?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Froggyman said:

Look, let's all stop flailing at each other, it isn't getting anyone anywhere. What is "offensive" to some people clearly isn't offensive to others, and there are broad definitiions of what is and isn't acceptable that range from culture to culture. There will always be both sides of the spectrum represented here, from foul mouthed little jerks who want to ruin other people's fun, to the nun like parents who want everyone to say "shoot and "frick." There are a good bit of us in the middle who don't mind a little edge in our speech but would still rather no one be overly rude or hurtful. It's a give and take, and there's no real great way to balance it out, but I promise you calling each other care bears and hardarses isn't gonna get you a dang thing.

But that's none of my business...

Well said, especially when you have international players congregated in a single cluster*cricket*. 

Yesterday some Joe something or other bloke was on the most vile rant about Mexicans and why he was voting Trump for ages in the faction chat.

You know what I did, I ignored him and carried on enjoying the game, it's really not that hard people. (And by ignore I don't mean blocking I just mean ignoring)

7 minutes ago, Zaccea said:

The thing is I agree. I totally expect this level of "transparency" when it comes to this sort of thing. But here I am now seeing others send in tickets about the same issue as me and actually getting a legitimate response. What the hell.

Private owned company, no requirements on transparency. They also more than likely dont give you specifics as i said due to privacy so you cant go and run around saying how you got so-and-so banned because of ________ which would further compound an issue. (Not saying YOU specifically, just you as a generalized term.)

On 1/23/2016 at 1:48 AM, Sadistiquë said:

Yes it is. That is what i trying to tell you, but ignorant as usual. You only need 1-2 screen of a person  and they will investigate the chat of that person. I reported a few names in 1 ticket.

But if you had tried, you would have known that, instead you cry on thread on each others shoulders like babies and keep mumbling about that "chat report button" which i used for something else.

To report players attitude you have a special section in tickets section on site. Learn to use it.

zmfvyt.jpg

I keep repeating you the simple normal solution. But if you keep remaining ignorant, then you deserve your fate, stay in forum and cry while expecting other to do justice for you. Good day.

Youre going under the assumption that i wasnt going to report any of it and was just complaining on the forums?

Do you think i took screen shots for giggles?

The GM that gave you confirmation on people you reported as banned should get a talking to. Its not just a privacy issue but it will fuel some people to start targeting as many people for bans as possible so they can feel powerful all the time.

Make an item in the store for ncoins that allows you to send a msg on faction, other than that.. remove the dam faction chat,  pretty pointless..

example: we ask the faction to come pvp in in misty but they rather to talk about hentai and such. (  I cant tell them what to do  ofc but well  its pointless, full with weird horny people and toxic trash)

and ofc.. smart ass comments

But oh well I guess just "ignore " them.

I  always get those toxic comments from players, but you know the reason is cuz they feel bad in real life, so once they come home and sit on their PC's they become keyboard warriors, enjoying making shit and so on, makes them feel good about themselves.

So yeah.. ignore..block or w/e every MMO has those people.

Just now, Quietness said:

Private owned company, no requirements on transparency. They also more than likely dont give you specifics as i said due to privacy so you cant go and run around saying how you got so-and-so banned because of ________ which would further compound an issue. (Not saying YOU specifically, just you as a generalized term.)

... You seem like you're missing my point.. So.. here's my last attempt at explaining my problem...

I sent in 3 reports to support (2 offensive names, 1 offensive faction chat).

Each ticket was responded with the same message copy-pasted word for word (except the person's name, obviously).

I was kind of fine with it because IT MAKES COMPLETE SENSE.

However, I just looked at this thread and saw a screenshot someone else posted where they got a reply (from a GM too!) that was completely opposite of mine.

Now I am upset because I've been trying to get an answer from one of my tickets about whether certain things are even reportable or not.

23 hours ago, Yancha said:

Jiwans Crimson Legion faction chat is full of racism and general ignorance

Its very saddening

Off :They should rename the faction chat to Drama chat... 24/7 drama.

On: Yeah they complain about anything outside USA Territory, from BR to Canadians, It gets worse when its about religion and politics

I havnt really paid attention to the faction chat very much, but it seems like its just a bunch of memers for the most part on Old Man Cho the few times i took a peak

in crimson legion anyway, heard cerulean wasnt much different/better

15 minutes ago, Maryelle said:

I don't think there's anything silly about asking for some level of assistance with hate speech policing. If you can report gold sellers, why can't you report hate speech? I don't think the chat necessarily needs monitors on hand 24/7, but a better way to report would be appropriate.

As a woman, I find the chat windows to be hostile and overtly sexual beyond belief. And no, this is not my first MMO. Yes, I can choose which chat window to watch. Why should I have to cater to the trolls?  Why should we harden up and ignore people who are in direct violation of the ToS? Maybe they should read the conditions they agreed to and chill the f*** out.

It's nice to see a level-headed response.

The report function needs to be overhauled to include other breaches of ToS (ie. Inappropriate names, abuse, etc.).

While I personally don't take "offence" to a lot of things said in chat (which is mainly Faction), it's just over the top and excessive. My block list is only so long.

I like to see interaction in the chat. Watching a blank chat box set to PMs, system and perhaps clan messages makes me feel like I'm playing a singleplayer game.

On 1/22/2016 at 5:59 AM, Doddger said:

As the title says the chat is extremely offensive and it should be monitored.

On the "config" icon of the chat box

Create your own chat tab

Next to "Regional" and/or "Faction", make sure it is unchecked.

Move to your chat tab

Issue solve.

On 22/1/2016 at 7:59 AM, Doddger said:

As the title says the chat is extremely offensive and it should be monitored.

Some of the character names are offensive.

Is there a way to report players for abusive language/names ?

The chat consists of racial slurs, suggestions to other people of suicide and abuse.

I have even seen couple of threats in the chat.

I play on EU server Starfall Crater.

Dude, you have an ignore button just in two clicks. Can you stop crying?

You are making it worst by giving them so much atention.

This happens on a daily basis on Old Man Cho, I still think BNS is full of Archeage reject because this is exactly the behavior I'd see on a daily basis there lol. 

I too wish it was monitors or at least the report button consisted of a little more than just "Spammer" or "Botting". 
I understand the rating of the video game... but just because a game is for "mature" audience it does not mean everybody is going to be mature, and as a mature played I dislike playing with children. There has to be a median. If you're being disrespectful regardless of your age or the rating of the game there should be consequences for your actions.

Build a bridge, then get over it. There is a reason why MMO's cannot rate their games because of the online 'freedom'. BNS actually has a profanity filter, and if you're sensitive to racial or any offensive type of chat you should block the offenders because I can gurantee you its a handful and not as many as you claim. 

1 minute ago, Rubberbandit said:

Build a bridge, then get over it. There is a reason why MMO's cannot rate their games because of online. BNS actually has a profanity filter, and if your sensitive to racial or any offensive type of chat you should block the offenders because I can gurantee you its a handful and not as many as you claim. 

You don't get the point. 
We want change, we want people to understand that you can't just be a dick because you're mad, or sad or whatever is up your ass. A lot of these children act this way because anonymity. If the game dev/publisher took it upon themselves to punish this behavior people would be less inclined to behave this way.

And example I like to use: Give a man a $1,000 ticket for running a red light, and you will see everybody slow down on a yellow light. 

Just now, Metalaggression said:

You don't get the point. 
We want change, we want people to understand that you can't just be a dick because you're mad, or sad or whatever is up your ass. A lot of these children act this way because anonymity. If the game dev/publisher took it upon themselves to punish this behavior people would be less inclined to behave this way.

And example I like to use: Give a man a $1,000 ticket for running a red light, and you will see everybody slow down on a yellow light. 

Yes but that won't happen, if that man got a ticket it would be on the news, it would spread and it would cause a reaction. That won't work on an online game, first the company does not want to seem so harsh during the first few days of launch, second they know that TONS of people will stop playing within a month. They see no reason to waste their employees times with a problem that will solve itself in a month, any remaining toxic chat will slowly be handled in time. And from all the games I've played, toxic chat is not cured in any.

Just now, Rubberbandit said:

Yes but that won't happen, if that man got a ticket it would be on the news, it would spread and it would cause a reaction. That won't work on an online game, first the company does not want to seem so harsh during the first few days of launch, second they know that TONS of people will stop playing within a month. They see no reason to waste their employees times with a problem that will solve itself in a month, any remaining toxic chat will slowly be handled in time. And from all the games I've played, toxic chat is not cured in any.

Club Penguin does an awesome job.

23 hours ago, Ellz said:

You have the block feature for this. 

The games 18+ for a reason. If you get offended that's your problem. Unless someones directly attacking you with no way for you to block it, then you should consider seeking help from adults. 

Otherwise, BE the adult and block it. 

Save the reports for gold sellers, otherwise you do even more damage in reporting people who use words that make you angry by taking the staff's focus away from REAL threats. 

You Hypocritical-politically correct people are the same that complain about censorship in this game and then scream on the forums to censor others when something you don't like appears in your face. 

I find what you said rude. You make it seem like it's a bad thing to take offense to something. 

3 minutes ago, Metalaggression said:

Club Penguin does an awesome job.

I'm not sure if you are being serious but, club penguin does good because its E rated. It also autobans for filtered chat which people bypass with fukking or word coverups. Its also astronomically easier to monitor so a GM sitting at their desk can easily monitor the chat.

That being said the popup notification for new replies on this thread is hilarious. Looks like it says people are replying to me extremely offensively at a quick glance.

Archived