Tomb of Exiles : How to not design a dungeon.

Nilkemios

Whoever designed this dungeon should have been sent back to redo it, or fired. This dungeon is where they finally just said "Like being able to progress for yourself and feel like you earned that gear? Well f*** you, we're going to take that feeling away.

Lv41 Destroyer, Lv41 Moonwater Soul Shield, True Blight weapon and accessories. I made it through all your stupid trash mobs all of your annoying and utterly not fun at all boss and sub boss fights, make it down to the Infernal Lord, everything's going okay....until  it decides to just instant kill me. And again, and again, and again. And it hits the ENTIRE ARENA. Who the hell thought that an unavoidable AoE instant kill was good to have around? Only an idiot, that's who.

And spare me this "it's a 6 person dungeon, you're not supposed to solo it" crap. Despite people loving to claim that MMOs are meant to be played with other people for every little thing, Blade and Soul does almost nothing to encourage partying up, and in fact gives you good reasons not to. Gating a player's only means a real progression behind a dungeon this cheaply done with no alternative means to upgrade is just stupid. Between this and the stupid Soulstone/Moonwater Transformation Stone crap, I'm considering just stopping at this point.

On a side note : Your weapon durability system is also an unnecessary annoyance. It feels like a nonsensical version of Tera's stamina system. What sense does it make for my weapon to lose durability when I die?

I'd attach a screenshot showing how much damage this cheap AoE does, but apparently that function isn't available to me. The last showing was 39,359 damage, and I've seen it hit past 41,000 before...they just didn't care anymore. They just said "Let's throw every stupid cheap mechanic we have at the player now! Forget making a fun, interesting, or even just a tolerable dungeon! Let;s make them suffer!"

It's amusing how you're complaining about the one part that takes some skill and actually rewards you when done well. The instant kill AOEs can be dodged quite easily on a destroyer by iframing. You've got your C skill and backstep to do so and will take no damage when timed right. Look for a red wave coming at you and go for an iframe shortly after. He also does it every time after a roll so that should help you see it coming.

36 minutes ago, Nilkemios said:

And spare me this "it's a 6 person dungeon, you're not supposed to solo it" crap. Despite people loving to claim that MMOs are meant to be played with other people for every little thing, Blade and Soul does almost nothing to encourage partying up, and in fact gives you good reasons not to. Gating a player's only means a real progression behind a dungeon this cheaply done with no alternative means to upgrade is just stupid. Between this and the stupid Soulstone/Moonwater Transformation Stone crap, I'm considering just stopping at this point.

I think you just also explained HOW exactly this game supports the MMO part to go in parties and finish dungeons. Didn't realize? I would like to see MMO where you can solo with low equips everything in the game. I think I had enough AP and skill to solo this dungeon fast enough once I had True Profane and better soul shield with parts of Bloodshade Harbor.

2 explanations to why you are getting insta killed, 1: Youre letting him stack ember stacks on you, and when he does his AOE he procs all of em, and in instances when you solo it, it adds up and one shots you, 2: Youre hitting the enrage timer? Thats the only 2 solutions, if you cant read about dungeon mechanics or ask around then thats not the games problem, they made these kind of mechanics to make it interesting, and a lvl 41 destroyer shouldnt be soloing it unless you know what youre doing

22 hours ago, Eckogen said:

Sounds like you are hitting the enrage timer. The room aoe I know of only causes a daze.

That's because in party runs, the boss tends to die before it gets too far in its pattern. It has 3 that I've seen : The stun (seemingly random), and then one that hits a bunch of times with a knockback, and then the big instant kill one.

21 hours ago, Soles said:

It's amusing how you're complaining about the one part that takes some skill and actually rewards you when done well. The instant kill AOEs can be dodged quite easily on a destroyer by iframing. You've got your C skill and backstep to do so and will take no damage when timed right. Look for a red wave coming at you and go for an iframe shortly after. He also does it every time after a roll so that should help you see it coming.

The problem is that with three different all hitting AoEs, I have to be wary to not get faked out on the wrong one. Aside from figuring out its pattern, there's no distinguishable tell to each of the AoE attacks either.

21 hours ago, Lunakitty said:

I think you just also explained HOW exactly this game supports the MMO part to go in parties and finish dungeons. Didn't realize? I would like to see MMO where you can solo with low equips everything in the game. I think I had enough AP and skill to solo this dungeon fast enough once I had True Profane and better soul shield with parts of Bloodshade Harbor.

No. With the exception of credit for kills or getting quest items for killing/interacting with things (occasionally done in open world), the game itself does not encourage partying. The bidding system is a major detriment as well, meaning that you can end up fighting with the other players over things you need or just someone feeling dickish and trying to get money out of you. On my server, it's rare to find anyone around to ask for help with a dungeon, meaning I end up using cross-server instancing for it instead. And, the vast majority of runs are to just rush down the dungeon/bosses as fast as possible, nobody talks/communicates, bidding nonsense, and then leave. It's just boring. And in the rare chance I find someone I get along with, well....if they're in a different server, there's little point, since cross server instancing would be all I could do with them.

21 hours ago, Virus / Ryusuke said:

2 explanations to why you are getting insta killed, 1: Youre letting him stack ember stacks on you, and when he does his AOE he procs all of em, and in instances when you solo it, it adds up and one shots you, 2: Youre hitting the enrage timer? Thats the only 2 solutions, if you cant read about dungeon mechanics or ask around then thats not the games problem, they made these kind of mechanics to make it interesting, and a lvl 41 destroyer shouldnt be soloing it unless you know what youre doing

I did notice the ember stacks from the fiery hail attack it does. Unfortunately, even though I always saved Stone Shield for that attack, the ember stacks were put on me anyways, and as far as I know, no skill I have could remove it. So, even though I noticed the mechanic, I couldn't do anything about it. That seems rather cheap.

Same with the AoEs. While it got better once I figured out the pattern for the instant death one, I often had to end up taking the multi hit AoE to save my C iframe to safely avoid the instant kill AoE, since I sometimes couldn't get the backstep off fast enough.

I have looked up vids in the past before this regarding soloing Tomb of Exiles, but nearly all of them involved either being 45 (a sign of how stupidly overpowered the enemies in there were if you had to basically be 9 levels above it to stand a chance) or already having the Awakened Infernal gear beforehand if they were still within a few levels of the dungeon's level...meaning they just did group runs first. I wanted to see someone pull it off with gear you could get before going in there for the first time, but it would seem no one cares about that.

And, just because I could have just read up on everything in the dungeon first before going in, doesn't mean I should have to in order to enjoy it. Sadly it seems it either falls to trial and error until you figure out the patterns (which the weapon durability system punishes), or just reading up on everything beforehand. it doesn't feel fun to have to read up on the whole thing beforehand or just die horribly over and over.

And, considering that all the other dungeons up to this point (even the other pre 45 heroic one, Blackram Narrows) were reasonably soloable even without having to get 5 levels above it and a stronger soul shield than the one for the dungeon itself....I feel like they made Tomb of Exiles's enemies more powerful than they should have been.

Tomb is a heroic dungeon , so of course it is going to be hard. Also comparing to black ram narrows is not really fair since that was the first look for players into how hard heroic dungeons are so it is possible that it was made to be a bit easier 

Having said that , from what I can read from the responses OP have put up , I personally feel that you are making a little too much of a big deal out of it . Agreed you do not want to run with other players , but then there are a lot of other factors you need to consider while running this 

There are mechanics involved in this fight that you need to be aware of and avoid when necessary , there are skills that you are privy to that can help you skirt around the damage or get immune or healed etc. Also as mentioned , the boss has an enrage timer too that is he is not dead within a certain time period , he can quite possibly one shot you. Learning the mechanics of a boss makes the fight easier , up to you to make sure you learn it or keep complaining about the mechanics. Yes it can be a bit annoying but do not expect everything to be served up on a silver platter by the developers , just make sure to put in a little bit of effort . And this is a MMORPG , if you are so adamant on not running with people and running everything solo, to avoid further outbursts it would be better to either make friends or stick to single players 

Going further , almost all the dungeon bosses have these mechanics and enrage timers in place and if you are already so full of rage about one tomb of exile dungeon , I would recommend finding some friends in game to run the content with for the higher dungeons because I am pretty sure you will not be able to solo more than half of it , especially as a destroyer as not many bosses are too friendly towards melee .

Apologies in advance if it comes across as rude , it was not my intention . Was trying to be helpful so that you do not meet with further frustrations as you go higher up 

Aye don't forget to pick up the Dragon Blood. They installed it there for a reason. Cause if you got wiped out, you'll left with 1 more Dragon Blood.

Though it's better for you to hit cap level first and come back :)

Few weeks ago I was doing a 6 man run on Blood Shade Harbor, all Level 45 HM 5 including me. Except 1 guy, it's a warlock player. A level 44 warlock.

Yo not to mention he's not decently geared enough to do it and also he didn't pick up Dragon Blood throughout the run.

Before we get to the boss he started to tell some wonderful stories to us about his experience in doing the dungeon before so on and so forth blah bleh blih bloh bluh....

So at the last boss, he was dead all the time until 5 of us murdered Hae Mujin before enrage timer *Crickets* us up.

#RIPLevel44Warlock2016

As I resurrected him I told him  "Ayy Lmao come back to BSH with knowing mechanics, better gear and Soulburn, thanks."

Just to tell you I laughed at him throughout the run, not angry. Gave him an advice too :)

Blade and Soul does almost nothing to encourage partying up, and in fact gives you good reasons not to.

But you are. 

In party there are bids and several items, which dropping them alone would take few times longer. And the money from bids is redistributed between party members. 

Who would even try to do it solo, when it is not worth, time wise especially. 

All AOEs can be dodged or iframed aside from certain ones from enrage timers expiring. If OP is having a problem with the enrage timer then obviously the OP isn't geared enough to solo that dungeon but what's the point of soloing it anyways? Group up with 6 people, get it done really fast. Sure people bids on things, if you don't get what you want in one run, do more runs. It's so fast with 6 people that you can run it several times and easily complete the shield set and whatever else you want. Play smart and the game will be more enjoyable and less time wasted.

Double CC boss before he starts hitting floor a few times dood. People who played in bns RU seemed to be smarter than you overgeared folks. Even a party with all lvl 20s can do this dungeon, they just need to CC the boss at the right time.

You just know how to brainlessly kill boss before he is able to do any of his patterns, that's the reason you are spreading your salt on here

21 hours ago, DannyMayCry said:

Aye don't forget to pick up the Dragon Blood. They installed it there for a reason. Cause if you got wiped out, you'll left with 1 more Dragon Blood.

Though it's better for you to hit cap level first and come back :)

Few weeks ago I was doing a 6 man run on Blood Shade Harbor, all Level 45 HM 5 including me. Except 1 guy, it's a warlock player. A level 44 warlock.

Yo not to mention he's not decently geared enough to do it and also he didn't pick up Dragon Blood throughout the run.

Before we get to the boss he started to tell some wonderful stories to us about his experience in doing the dungeon before so on and so forth blah bleh blih bloh bluh....

So at the last boss, he was dead all the time until 5 of us murdered Hae Mujin before enrage timer *Crickets* us up.

#RIPLevel44Warlock2016

As I resurrected him I told him  "Ayy Lmao come back to BSH with knowing mechanics, better gear and Soulburn, thanks."

Just to tell you I laughed at him throughout the run, not angry. Gave him an advice too :)

At least he didn't die before the last Boss, that's something most unskilled and undergeared players are not able to.

Why solo it, its so easy to get a party in F8....

And you think because you can solo other dungeons, they should make all dungeons soloable? Wow...you're gonna hate the rest of the game. But that's on you. You sound like a pretty bad player too, talking about why you should lose durability when you die....lol cause um....there should be some consequences to dying? Be glad it's not losing exp like the old days.

On 3/28/2016 at 8:25 AM, Nilkemios said:

Whoever designed this dungeon should have been sent back to redo it, or fired. This dungeon is where they finally just said "Like being able to progress for yourself and feel like you earned that gear? Well f*** you, we're going to take that feeling away.

Lv41 Destroyer, Lv41 Moonwater Soul Shield, True Blight weapon and accessories. I made it through all your stupid trash mobs all of your annoying and utterly not fun at all boss and sub boss fights, make it down to the Infernal Lord, everything's going okay....until  it decides to just instant kill me. And again, and again, and again. And it hits the ENTIRE ARENA. Who the hell thought that an unavoidable AoE instant kill was good to have around? Only an idiot, that's who.

On a side note : Your weapon durability system is also an unnecessary annoyance. It feels like a nonsensical version of Tera's stamina system. What sense does it make for my weapon to lose durability when I die?

I'd attach a screenshot showing how much damage this cheap AoE does, but apparently that function isn't available to me. The last showing was 39,359 damage, and I've seen it hit past 41,000 before...they just didn't care anymore. They just said "Let's throw every stupid cheap mechanic we have at the player now! Forget making a fun, interesting, or even just a tolerable dungeon! Let;s make them suffer!"

This specific attack requires you to as some has said iframe, or use a defensive cooldown, on my FM i was able to solo this boss practically simply do to my C skill which makes me IMMUNE to the effect. Combined with my tab i was able to pretty handedly own this boss back during launch. I believe they made it harder since but, yes you'll need to figure out what defensive or ability you have to negate the attack and learn the timing i've no idea how to defend against it on a destroyer.

• 3 weeks later...

This dungeon still stands as an example of how to not design a dungeon, let alone one with gear you need in order to upgrade your Hongmoon gear.

I've leveled as Assassin for this time around, since stealth makes fights a lot easier...when it works. Level 37, True/Awakened Blight equipment, Lv36 Cinderlands Renowned Valor Soul Shield, basically everything upgrade as far as you can go before moving on to Moonwater Plains or the dungeon itself.

Things start off simply enough. The two destroyer sub bosses go down much easier since I can now pick off their minions first (the only thing that made them hard to begin with) and then them without too much worry of interference, and the trash mobs also die off fast enough too as long as I stay stealthed.

But then I get to Bi Chunhan, the first boss...and it all goes to shit.

"Okay, I'll just sprint up quick, use my sprinting RMB to stealth behind his lackey, kill him off quick, stab stab stab...wait, what the f***, why are they resetting?"

Sometimes I'd even manage to kill the minion, then start on the boss only for him to reset as well, which causes his minion to respawn too!

"Okay, stick behind them, keep hitting, make sure to step back a bit to Shadow Dash instantly as soon as I unstealth so they don't turn aroun--"

System voice : "You cannot do that right now." (boss turns around suddenly)

"Shut the f*** up game!"

And, even when I kill off the minion and get to start killing the boss with no stupid resets out of nowhere...

- Bi Chunhan casts Ice Prison -

"Okay, just i-frame this--" (boss just casts it on me again after the i-frame is done)

"I'll freeze you to death!" (Takes off over half my HP, while he gets back about 7 to 8% of his thanks to boss HP regen being on steroids)

So. I can't CC him during his Ice Prison cast, I already figured that out from my Destroyer run. And i-framing it doesn't work either, he just casts it again. They made a boss mechanic you cannot deal with at all once he starts using it. Theoretically I could Q-dodge and maybe the stealth might stop him from trying to cast the second time, but the timing of his first is slow enough to throw me off when timing the Q dodge (either too soon and he casts it right after, or too late in which case I don't get to dodge).

I did manage to nearly kill him (getting below 10% HP), until he pulled that Ice Prison crap again (lost Dragonblood to it as well or mistimed stealth attempts), and then when I saw him back at full, and his minion respawned also, I just logged out there.

Just wow...if Assassin can't do this either, what could?

On 28.3.2016 at 3:25 PM, Nilkemios said:

Well you can just iframe it :D

26 minutes ago, Hatsunya said:

Well you can just iframe it :D

Thank you for replying to a post that's roughly half a month old. I already figured out that by now. If you know a way to i-frame the Bi Chunhan's Ice Prison without him just casting it again though, that would be actually helpful.

4 minutes ago, Nilkemios said:

Thank you for replying to a post that's roughly half a month old. I already figured out that by now. If you know a way to i-frame the Bi Chunhan's Ice Prison without him just casting it again though, that would be actually helpful.

Well i did not actually check how old it was. Someone did it before me and then i started reading it

On 28.3.2016 at 3:04 PM, Lunakitty said:

lol farmed my breaktrough in it with my last alt solo at lvl 37 ^^ should have made a vid of it :/ nah maybe with next one :(

Archived