Mmo's common features which we miss

RoXor

There is a lot of complaints about mmo's features, which people miss and are considered standard in 2016. This is attempt to create such list and avoid multiple threads about same things. This should be place for improvements to current system and NOT changes in game philosophy. This should be based on already implemented features , which makes it more realistic to be implemented.

examples:

Change current bidding system to Need/Greed - Wrong

Disable master loot option  in cross server group finder's created groups - Correct

I' ll start with my suggestions, feel free to add yours.

1. Disable master loot option  in cross server group finder's created groups. Create checkbox in dungeon lobby, same as for multiple classes in group option, or vote confirmation ?!

Reason: This might sound too restrictive, but I cannot imagine scenario, where it would make sense to have it in for PUG. Benefits are enormous.

2. Create dragonstride/teleport after each boss, which unlocks once it is defeated.

Reason: Unsuccessful groups tend to disband , as waiting for new recruit to run through whole dungeon is nightmare for both recruit and the group.  Different type of unlockable shortcuts after defeating boss are standard. Due to map design and available features (dragonstride, checkpoints) this looks like best option.

3.  Disable camera distance auto adjust or make it optional.

Reason: Camera auto adjustment is very annoying. It means that camera distance (independently on max camera distance settings ) will reset to its default for different reasons. Most annoying example is TAG match switch.

4. Make all 3 options fullscreen . fulscreen windowed and windowed available through basic graphic interface.

Reason: This has direct performance impact in some cases. People do not know that default is borderless-windowed and that they can use alt+enter.

This option is already in config file. However having only 2 options available overwrites config file settings on each apply. What is reason for not having it.

5. Make loot on the floor last until everybody leaves instance (not to disappear after few minutes).

Reason: Precious loot simply cannot disappear !! If somebody dced during combat and u want him to participate in loot distribution.

6. Create bid restrictions on class-specific loot.

Reason: Bidding system, together with importance of currency/materials in game makes constant need to run old content , well done. However this could be exception.

7. Implement common chat features like chat history or at least do not reset in all the time (for example in Lobby).  You cannot whisper in lobby.  Shift+T, Shift + R to reply to last person who wispered to you. Copy paste option... This would benefit better than annoying characters and smilies , which are used mostly by bots.

8. Vote kick option, focused on afk players.

It is not implemented because of adverse effects like elitism in group. But people who have higher standards for groups have already option to create their group in loby with requirements. For exampled based on AP. This is already happening. Only elitism which would occur is probably kicking member for very low performance, but what is better , 1 guy frustrated for being kicked or 5 people for not being able to finish dungeon.

Anyways with current dungeon design group will disband if bad performance of one member would affect group to the degree that it would fail on encounter (which is not the case often), group would disband as whole and nobody would be "kicked", because recreating new group is much more acceptable then waiting for new recruit to run whole isntance and hope for the best.

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed. Would be very helpful.

3. Make it optional, if they removed it it'd be disappointing for those who enjoy it.

4. Totally agree. I have a dual screen computer yet I have troubles with it switching to screen 2 when BNS is on screen 1.

5. Can you elaborate a bit more?

6. Totally agree. Those with assassin for example should be the only ones who can bid on the daggers, unless all assassins in the group pass on the item.

9 minutes ago, Kitah said:

1. Agreed.

2. Agreed. Would be very helpful.

3. Make it optional, if they removed it it'd be disappointing for those who enjoy it.

4. Totally agree. I have a dual screen computer yet I have troubles with it switching to screen 2 when BNS is on screen 1.

5. Can you elaborate a bit more?

6. Totally agree. Those with assassin for example should be the only ones who can bid on the daggers, unless all assassins in the group pass on the item.

Changed wording in point 5, is it better ?

God, the bidding system is so broken. I had a guy just throwing gold around to try and trick people into fast bidding. Then once he realized he was highest bid he just leave the instance and or zone out. Sometimes breaking the bid and not allowing others to bid. Sometimes we could but other times.. we were just stuck unable to bid. 

I can't say enough how much I hate the current system.

Just now, Coolmoos said:

God, the bidding system is so broken. I had a guy just throwing gold around to try and trick people into fast bidding. Then once he realized he was highest bid he just leave the instance and or zone out. Sometimes breaking the bid and not allowing others to bid. Sometimes we could but other times.. we were just stuck unable to bid. 

I can't say enough how much I hate the current system.

I do not like this one too, but I currently do not have good solution for this. While his ability to leave party without consequences is bad, it also protects you.

Feel free to suggest improvement. That does not make whole bidding system wrong in my opinioon.

I miss the days when gamers were there to play a game and have fun together instead of competing to see who can be the biggest, rudest, douchebag troll. The other day after finishing a kind of tough quest dungeon using the cross server party finder, an Assassin asked me to help them and I agreed. When we got to the end, the Assassin just went invisible and hid at the outer edge of the room while I got gang raped. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never volunteer to help someone you don't know in a modern day MMORPG. Too many people today get their jollies making your game experience as miserable as they can.

I agree with op on most of the thing except for just 1 small thing on number #6 only the specific class can put need for the items but if nobody need anybody can put greed instead just in case whoever class  can wear but already have it so maybe somebody else can use to upgrade his own weapon for example.

3 minutes ago, Taywen said:

I miss the days when gamers were there to play a game and have fun together instead of competing to see who can be the biggest, rudest, douchebag troll. The other day after finishing a kind of tough quest dungeon using the cross server party finder, an Assassin asked me to help them and I agreed. When we got to the end, the Assassin just went invisible and hid at the outer edge of the room while I got gang raped. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Never volunteer to help someone you don't know in a modern day MMORPG. Too many people today get their jollies making your game experience as miserable as they can.

I was thinking about afk kick option. But it is double–edged sword. I can understand that it could cause elitists to kick out everybody who doesn't deserve their mighty presence in the group. Don't have good solution for this except of some automatic activity check.

Totally agree with the class specific looting option. However, I feel that the bidding system could be elaborated. Other games have options where it´s all based on luck ( which might not be such a good option but in the end you don´t waste money on a soul shield and bla bla bla ). In general I think that for now there should be an option where you can select that ONLY the appropriate class can loot a class specific item.

I haven´t felt the need for kick options during the dungeon YET, but if there should be one then it should be made so that everyone has to vote for that person to be kicked. This could backfire if it´s a premade group with one random. Gosh...why do people have to be jerks all the time.

33 minutes ago, RoXor said:

I was thinking about afk kick option. But it is double–edged sword. I can understand that it could cause elitists to kick out everybody who doesn't deserve their mighty presence in the group. Don't have good solution for this except of some automatic activity check.

Vote kicking can work if you allow every member in the party to vote to kick the player. Of course party leader can just kick player anyway if they feel that is the case (I always tend to go in as the party leader, I dislike people trying to have me over on loot at the end and I hate playing with douchebags which I kick if they stay at the dungeon entrance too long after I have warned them. Helped over 100 different players get their blight weapon from Blackram and we made a deal on who was getting what every time someone joined, everyone was happy. 

There are lots of douchebags everywhere and it's just sad.

46 minutes ago, RoXor said:

Changed wording in point 5, is it better ?

Alot better now: Just want to confirm: You mean the box on the floor which gives out a few potions etc? Because the bid activates for everyone whether they are down or not, the box/crate however is just a general loot box (potion and maybe an unsealing charm) which I feel should be removed. 

Reason: Camera auto adjustment is very annoying. It means that camera distance (independently on max camera distance settings ) will reset to its default for different reasons. Most annoying example is TAG match switch.

This ^ , on my force master I sometimes use a defensive cooldown straight away after tagging in just to give me a second to zoom out so I can actually see the enemy. 

Agree with most of it
3. Should be optional as someone mentioned - sometimes the game messes with your camera for a reason, and for a good reason.

6. No, it is no different from a Need/Greed system which you said it is bad in 1 already. I only played FFXIV with need/greed system, only the class that can use it can Need. For me, when a loot drop in a group - everyone that participated in the fight/run have equal right to the loot. Sure it would be more useful for some and courteous to pass for them, but shouldn't straight out deny other people from it if they have use for it also (upgrade offering etc).

I have yet have a person that tried to trick people bidding high and leave before drop screw up any of the bids for me yet - usually the item goes to the back of the bidding queue for me.

2 minutes ago, Syanonn said:

Agree with most of it
3. Should be optional as someone mentioned - sometimes the game messes with your camera for a reason, and for a good reason.

6. No, it is no different from a Need/Greed system which you said it is bad in 1 already. I only played FFXIV with need/greed system, only the class that can use it can Need. For me, when a loot drop in a group - everyone that participated in the fight/run have equal right to the loot. Sure it would be more useful for some and courteous to pass for them, but shouldn't straight out deny other people from it if they have use for it also (upgrade offering etc).

I have yet have a person that tried to trick people bidding high and leave before drop screw up any of the bids for me yet - usually the item goes to the back of the bidding queue for me.

6. would it make sense to have restrictions only on purples which u are not going to use for upgrades anyways ?

1 hour ago, RoXor said:

Try esc>settings>camera> uncheck enable cinematic skill camera.  Don't know if it works with the tag problem but fixed an issue I had with some skills doing the same thing after use.

8. Change default loot option to Round Robin (or random) instead of FFA.  Current system shafts the ranged classes, and is also probabaly why you get loot popups midfight.  If you try to wait until after the fight to loot, you won't BE looting. 

And most people aren't going to bother taking the time to fix it after the 10th dungeon.

6.  Why aren't people going to be using purples for upgrades?  From what I remember they give better results than blues/greens.

7.  /reply as well.

Solution for AFK: quest objectives and loot bids are range based, you need to be X distance from boss when killed for loot and quest objectives. Yes, the occasional player may miss it if they die and rez at the beginning, but people who watch and think about what they do before hitting the release key will be fine. This also ties in with your option to have portals to each boss...player simply respawns at last portal, easy run. Most MMO's have this feature, and it helps with AFK'ers allot.

Solution for gold hikers leaving to avoid their bid: bid follows you if your top bidder. simple as that. you can leave the instance, drop the group, and port 5 miles away. you still get bid, you still lose the money, and the group still gets the distribution. simple as that. 

I don't think we need a class specific loot table. if we follow the above 2 options, we should be fine. just be careful and watch who's bidding...you have plenty of time to do so while the ticker is going. 

4 minutes ago, Temjiu said:

Solution for gold hikers leaving to avoid their bid: bid follows you if your top bidder. simple as that. you can leave the instance, drop the group, and port 5 miles away. you still get bid, you still lose the money, and the group still gets the distribution. simple as that. 

just be careful and watch who's bidding...you have plenty of time to do so while the ticker is going. 

I'm sort of surprised you don't lose the money when you make the bid, get it back if/when you get upbid.  If you zone/leave money with a winning bid, your bid is cancelled but you're still out the money.  (which still gets distributed to the rest of your party).  Of course, there would be a warning prompt before you can leave/quit.

As for being careful?  If somebody raises right before you click bid, you're stuck with raising whatever amount that person put.  Now sure, if you're being patient/smart it'd be extremely unlikely for that timing to occur, but *not* impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump this. No checkpoints/shortcuts after defeating boss becomes especially annoying with new  content - lab 6man. How do you expect people to learn fight if you encourage groups to disband on each wipe or if only guy gets dc. After recruiting new member or  for dced guy to reconnect , he has to run from start of the dungeon, which takes several minutes. Design of dungeons is horrible regarding this. I really can't believe we have to experience this in 2016...

My only hope is this changes with new content...

Archived