What is bopae?

authyrtyr

• 1 month later...

Okay, this was bothering me so I finally researched into it.

Bopae is a Korean word that comes from the Chinese word meaning treasure. 

On the Korean site, the soul shields are referred to as bopaes.

Edit: Thanks Hanno for the edit. I think your comment went a bit more in depth. ^^ I doubt most people can read Korean though, so I didn't even bother posting that.

Hann

"Bopae" is romanization of the Korean word "보패", which is localized as "Soul Shield" in NA version. AFAIK the word originates from China and is actually pronounced as "bao bei" and it means 'treasure'.

edit: for some reason eisbluemchen's post didn't show up when I was writing this :(

They are also called "bagua" (in the chinese and german version) which translates to "eight symbols".

If you have been to Naryu Labyrinth, the wheel of fate before the boss room is what an actual bagua would look like.

So you will probably see german players and ppl who played in china before referring to them as bagua.

• Liinxy locked and unlocked this topic
On 2/7/2016 at 5:36 PM, authyrtyr said:

but where did the term come from?

The Chinese Feng Shui Ba-Gua, aka 8 trigrams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagua

Korea through out its history has always had very close ties with China, and the educated ones back then were sent to China and studied, Even today, the older generation Koreans still can read Chinese. Same can be said for Japan.

14 hours ago, AttacKat said:

Korea through out its history has always had very close ties with China, and the educated ones back then were sent to China and studied, Even today, the older generation Koreans still can read Chinese. Same can be said for Japan.

The Korean language is comprised of approximately 50% Chinese characters. So, Koreans in general can read some Chinese (or Hanja), as well as the Japanese (Kanji), as they are taught them throughout their schooling.

Archived