Is BnS worth it?

NostalgiaPC

I have played bns for a bit when it was released in NA 2 years ago and only went up to lvl 50 hm(3-5). I am aware of the current updates, but I am wondering if the game is worth investing time in.

My plan is to get end-game gear by joining a competitive clan, but after hearing about the server merge(s) and the drop in the playerbase, I am not sure if it is worth the effort.

Although I might have fun at first, I don't want to grind and grind to get the gear I want only to hear bns is going to shutdown in a few months.

So is it worth the time?

10 minutes ago, ARC-1276 said:

Don't play this game run away from it!

Ah, too many problems?

ie: paywalls and unbalanced pvp?

I was hoping that maybe the game in general has enough redeeming qualities to numb out ncsoft and their business models  ;-;

Many people are salty at the moment, because materials suddenly went up 10-25%, 6v6 is still trash, bad performance, and probably some other reasons I'm forgetting.

There isn't anything people can get by paying, instead of spending a lot of time. But months of rng and farming can be bypassed in a few minutes, just by spending a couple 100 bucks. That's why "p2w" is very arguable, here.

The playerbase isn't too bad. I don't know how many are playing exactly, but only if you expect to see many people still lvling from 0-50, you will be disappointed. Anything after lvl 50, you'll never miss players. Even on big releases, like the one coming in may (probably), there can be 1000+ queues to enter the game.

I highly doubt bns will shut down anytime soon. That's just something hysterical people shout. But the grind and grind part is very real. With people on reddit saying it took them over 3 months to max out their soul. And that's only 1 of the items you'll need.

I'm not sure about PvP. Arena PvP is almost dead, and kind of has a rock-paper-scissors element to it (class 1 beats class 2, class 2 beats class 3, class 3 beats class 1).

6v6, however, is gear-based. And the moment you end up in an aerial, you're basically dead.

It's still free to play, so if you really want to know how it goes, try playing for a month, and see for yourself.

Asking a question like this on the forums, you will almost always get more negative answers than good. Most people come to the forums to talk about things they dislike about the game and give general feedback while those enjoying it barely come to the forums. I can't really tell you what's worth, as what is worth to one person could not be worth to another. I say play the game and if you enjoy it then continue playing. The game won't be shutting down anytime soon that's for sure, of course it will lose players and gain overtime but that is expected of any game.

ClassicMan pretty much nailed it on the head.  Could be bad or good depending on your perspective of things, and there's no real way of deciding that unless you jump right on in.

The story and combat in this game is awesome, and many of the dungeons are quite fun as well. However the P2W is absolutely atrocious. If you aren't already super geared, you won't catch up and be able to run harder dungeons without paying before 2020. The rate of gold acquisition is next to zero, but to upgrade your soul you will need roughly 36k gold. If you don't want to be 1shot in 6v6 then you need to upgrade pet... another 30k on pet pods. Good luck getting that kind of cash without swiping. Add to that the fact that hongmoon skill items literally do not exist in PvE content. Apparently they drop in dungeons but I have never seen one yet. These sell on market for 500g and above... or you can buy the duelist bundle for £12 and buy with bravery coins. Is such a shame to see the game wrecked in this way to satisfy a few whales at the expense of everyone else. It could be one of the best MMO's out there if the gearing/upgrading process wasn't so utterly ridiculous. It doesn't help that the mats needed to craft things like sacred oils and PTS are next to non existent unless you are already geared enough to run the hardest dungeons. If honest I would have spent a lot more on this game if it didn't feel like it was trying to force me to spend in order to be somewhat viable.

1 hour ago, Redsquirl said:

The story and combat in this game is awesome, and many of the dungeons are quite fun as well. However the P2W is absolutely atrocious. If you aren't already super geared, you won't catch up and be able to run harder dungeons without paying before 2020. The rate of gold acquisition is next to zero, but to upgrade your soul you will need roughly 36k gold. If you don't want to be 1shot in 6v6 then you need to upgrade pet... another 30k on pet pods. Good luck getting that kind of cash without swiping. Add to that the fact that hongmoon skill items literally do not exist in PvE content. Apparently they drop in dungeons but I have never seen one yet. These sell on market for 500g and above... or you can buy the duelist bundle for £12 and buy with bravery coins. Is such a shame to see the game wrecked in this way to satisfy a few whales at the expense of everyone else. It could be one of the best MMO's out there if the gearing/upgrading process wasn't so utterly ridiculous. It doesn't help that the mats needed to craft things like sacred oils and PTS are next to non existent unless you are already geared enough to run the hardest dungeons. If honest I would have spent a lot more on this game if it didn't feel like it was trying to force me to spend in order to be somewhat viable.

current event gives bravery coins like candy from the cannon... great time to get those HM skills. also arena is not gear dependent. even at lv 45 you can reach gold. Second with a viable farming strat catching up can be done in a couple weeks tops

On 4/16/2018 at 9:07 PM, ClassicMan said:

Asking a question like this on the forums, you will almost always get more negative answers than good. Most people come to the forums to talk about things they dislike about the game and give general feedback while those enjoying it barely come to the forums. I can't really tell you what's worth, as what is worth to one person could not be worth to another. I say play the game and if you enjoy it then continue playing. The game won't be shutting down anytime soon that's for sure, of course it will lose players and gain overtime but that is expected of any game.

Pretty much. I only ever come here to rage about something extremely unfair.

On 4/16/2018 at 5:55 PM, NostalgiaPC said:

I have played bns for a bit when it was released in NA 2 years ago and only went up to lvl 50 hm(3-5). I am aware of the current updates, but I am wondering if the game is worth investing time in.

My plan is to get end-game gear by joining a competitive clan, but after hearing about the server merge(s) and the drop in the playerbase, I am not sure if it is worth the effort.

Although I might have fun at first, I don't want to grind and grind to get the gear I want only to hear bns is going to shutdown in a few months.

So is it worth the time?

Not sure what you mean worth playing.. if you want to get the endgame item, then think about this> (are you willing to pay or willing work > play 5 or 6month 8-12h+ to get close to players who are Raven 9), Do  some calculation before playing the game, it is a good idea to get end game items , peace. :D

Here is my honest no bs personal assessment of the game.

The pay to win/pay to skip grind is all time worst right now. The gap between max gear and new player is crazy. Market prices are totally disastrous. Current event gives nice rewards I gotta give it that, but only if you can do it with 10 characters and that it's such a lag fest.

The grind in this game is not the steepest, but it's still quite steep. Which recently is made even steeper as market price for premium stones (used in weapon and accessory upgrade) and oils (used for soul upgrade) and pet pod (for per upgrade) and other base materials used for crafting skyrocket in price.

The main thing about this game is that the pay to skip grind/pay to win has reached some absurd extreme level. I'm talking about trove and rng boxes which show up quite often of course. You can literally skip 3 4 even 5 6 months of grinding, of doing content by dropping some money. This makes anybody who actually grinds for their stuffs feel like their time is worth nothing, which is borderline insulting.

Sure, this is a f2p game, so it's made to be grindy to lure people into spending, I get that. However, there must/should be some sort of balance, a line that draws the limit as to what real money can't do. Over the past few months the said limit of what you can get by paying has been getting so much worse everybody's been crying.

Everything started since the introduction of 5 million xp charm which destroyed the market, prices of sacred orb and soulstones almost doubled (sacred orb went from over 1 gold to 1.5, 1.7 gold, soulstone went from 20 25 silver to over 40 and peaked at 60 silver each). Then Nc nerfed the rewards of lower dungeons, which then no longer gave sacred orbs, which pushed the prices of them even higher (2.5 gold each last I checked).

Then NC recently introduced a new way of making 5 million xp charm from pet pod, which makes the thing almost double in price (from 90 to 150 gold each at na server). Upgrading a pet is now so painful it's outright discouraging.

There have been a lot of feedback as to crashing 6v6 optimization... etc. NCwest has been dropping some improvementa over time. But it's as if for each time they do some good, they do another 3 bad things... Overall it's quite frustrating.

Over all, you can come back and have fun. But I don't think anybody can refute how bad the state of the game is right now...

If you like story, then it's wonderful up until that point.

Everything after (Grinding for end gear, F8 PuGs and faction chat) is a test of patience unless you really go out there to find a clan willing to help you.

And just like companies like Nexon and other Korean MMOs, this one is no different to advertise items that you feel you absolutely need that require a credit card. It is achievable to have end gear as f2p, but you'll invest so much time that you're probably better off finding a part-time job and invest money in the game without feeling like the game is a chore.

Lastly, 70% of the "help" from the community can honestly get toxic to the point where gratification doesn't feel it exists more than half the time.

I still play this game because I still enjoy it, but I go with the mindset of a very low expectation outside my clan. (i.e. I don't expect anything to go my way, and anything that goes well is a bonus.)

If you can go with this mindset, cool; I hope you have fun.

Otherwise, I honestly wouldn't recommend this to anyone trying to enjoy themselves and wanting to socialize with other random gamers.

Archived