Suggestion: How to fix flame walls of death

Skotlex

After hundreds of dailies with random people, it's clear that the fire-wall boss mechanics can catch many players by surprise, the amount of times people accidentally roast up the rest of the party is too high and we can't expect everybody to know/memorize the wall spawn locations beforehand to avoid this tragedy.

I'd suggest a simple fix: instead of having the flames go up/down whenever a boss is engaged/disengaged, have them be triggered by a player being defeated/downed.

Before:

- Boss fight starts: flames walls go up.

- Boss fight ends (dead or party wipe): flame walls vanish.

Suggestion:

- Boss fight starts: set a party variable "boss_fight on"

- Player is defeated/downed: if boss_fight is on, activate flame walls.

- Boss fight ends: if boss_fight is on, deactivate flame walls and unset boss_fight.

As a programmer, I know this alternative is very easy to implement (the difficulty lies in selecting which flame walls should go up regardless: those meant to avoid players skipping the fight), so it really boils down to whether this change to the mechanics would have any negative consequences: can people exploit it somehow (I doubt it because nobody can get out of the fight state while at least one member is fighting the boss)? Or was the original mechanic intended to punish players for not sticking to the party?

This change would benefit rushers who don't want to wait, as well as people who are left behind, because now there's a chance to catch up without being locked outside of the fights.

The walls of fire really have no point except to allow some players to torment others.

Look at the reason you are saying "after someone dies" It is seen by many as a way to lock you out of a fight after you resurrect, so you can't just do the boss fight over and over again, but there really is nothing stopping you from doing it anyway. Field Repair tools mean you can fix your weapon if it is broken anywhere in the dungeon, dragonblood can be recharged again if the boss is alive.

They really server no purpose except to let some ruin the game for others. What makes it worse if when you have much higher levels that should be soloing an area running lower level dungeons like Tomb of Exiles that keeps coming up in Daily Challenge, and kills people that still need their infernal gear who are only level 28. Why is a level 50+ quest even sending back to something so easy for such massive rewards? Just so they can rush and kill others in a flamewall because they dont know how to leave the party and solo these easy dungeons.

The whole Flamewall mechanic is Just Trolling with no real reason to exist. I mean not only that the Flamewall instant kill you on some places there spawn a orb in the middle of the fire what one shoot kill you if you just come close to the fire, like WTF what is the reason for this except trolling from the Devs? 

Pls remove this troll thing completely and make a bedder mechanic like a sealed door(like the one in mushin tower before you speak to the npc next to it to unlock it) what pull everyone inside the room who comes close but only once(if not already inside) until Boss dead/party wipe. 

The wall of fire is in place to prevent people from re-engaging the boss once the encounter starts and they die. Think about it, it wouldn't be much of an encounter if you died and could easily resurrect and then just run back to the party to kill the boss. Too easy. Having said that, I don't understand why it had to be flame walls. They cover a much larger area than things like doors or rubble or something which would be even better in its place.I agree completely, this system feels like someone's messing with you when you can actually just implement closing doors.

Or even better, replace all flame walls with ice walls.  When you walk into the ice wall you'll get a frozen status and freeze, like what the crabs do at E. Fleet Slashimi.  And you'll keep getting the status as long as you're in the ice wall.  No more instant deaths.

54 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Or even better, replace all flame walls with ice walls.  When you walk into the ice wall you'll get a frozen status and freeze, like what the crabs do at E. Fleet Slashimi.  And you'll keep getting the status as long as you're in the ice wall.  No more instant deaths.

Yeah, but wouldn't this still be a problem if you ss'd into it during the boss fight because you'd be stuck in ice and unable to help with the fight even though you were a part of the fight initially. I guess you could have a one way ice wall? it'll freeze you from the other side (the non-boss area side) and just be a normal wall on the boss-area side. 

Though, I do worry this might encourage those follow-party-but-do-not-participate afkers. 

1 hour ago, Shelly said:

Yeah, but wouldn't this still be a problem if you ss'd into it during the boss fight because you'd be stuck in ice and unable to help with the fight even though you were a part of the fight initially. I guess you could have a one way ice wall? it'll freeze you from the other side (the non-boss area side) and just be a normal wall on the boss-area side. 

Though, I do worry this might encourage those follow-party-but-do-not-participate afkers. 

The only problem that I might see with the ice wall (I just thought about) is going into the ice wall while the boss is targeting you and since you're not dead.....well, we know what happens.  For instance if you're soloing a dungeon and run into the ice wall by accident somehow...you'll be stuck there forever because the boss will be attacking you.  Unless they make it so that bosses don't target frozen players....and I just thought up another issue...

Screw the ice wall they could just put up a barrier like those giant red X portals.....

Isn't the boss kill timer enough to make a dungeon not easy?

Besides even if one were to ressurect, the time to run back would slow the dps down enough to make it pointless.

The firewall is a useless feature. Well unless I feel like being bored and prank people.

Here is the BEST way to avoid fire wall.

All you lvl 50 people doing low level dungeons for that 4/4 box, don't go running ahead when you have lots of low level with you.

Wait for them.

Everyone else don't stand near them at all.

It really is up to Team Bloodlust if they want to do anything about it. What I wonder is.... why this hasn't been an issue on the other regions? Did players never complained about it, thus, there was no motivation to change it? 

Frankly, I suggested this fix because it requires the minimal amount of changes to the game, it should be easy to apply if there was any willingness to do so. But there's not, why not? Beyond trolling, it just seems bad design that allows an inexperienced player to roast the party just because they engaged the boss a second or two before the rest of the party (in some instances this happens so frequently, like the forgotten tomb, where the last boss's firewall appears ~5m from the entrance, and you can trigger the boss by walking 5m towards them). 

Archived