Why do people hate a decent game?

Evilshana

Not sure why anyone would care what haters think anyway. Don't you know by now that some people just have a bad attitude and/or get their jollies by pooping on everyone else?

As far as the bots - I've played several F2P titles in the last couple of years and this game is the worst. By far. It's the only one I've seen mobs of them infesting the game.

I suggest the BnS team contact Blizzard and find out how they managed to curtail gold seller bots in WoW so well. They still exist, but considering how much it has been hammered over the years - they've obviously come a long way.

I have to say though, of the F2P games I've played, I like this one the best. In my opinion it's worth putting up with its shortcomings (there are no perfect games anyway). :)

Gameplay-wise this is the best MMO on the market by a pretty wide-margin.  I think the story was well done and the graphics hold up pretty good as well. 

I don't even care about bots; they're a foregone conclusion, every game has them and every free to play game has 100x more of them.  Fix the hacks that allow them to actually succeed in arena and let us kick them out of groups and that'll be good enough. 

All of that said, I understand the gripes and low reviews. 

First off, server location and optimization is pathetic.  A twitch/timing gameplay focused game like this with only ONE datacenter in NA and horribly optimized servers in unacceptable.  I live in NA and still need a VPN to actually play the game with a decent connection to the servers, and I'll just take that money I'm paying for the VPN out of what I might've spent on this game.  Either the NCWest team really sucks with network/server code or they just really half-assed this whole setup in NA.  I'm guessing the latter. 

Second, gameguard... Massively intrusive, can result in false positives for an endless number of legal applications and in-game activities and doesn't seem to be even putting a dent in the bot/hack situation. 

6 minutes ago, Goji said:

Gameplay-wise this is the best MMO on the market by a pretty wide-margin.  I think the story was well done and the graphics hold up pretty good as well. 

I don't even care about bots; they're a foregone conclusion, every game has them and every free to play game has 100x more of them.  Fix the hacks that allow them to actually succeed in arena and let us kick them out of groups and that'll be good enough. 

There you go! I was waiting for a fanboy replied that said the game is perfect and nothing wrong with that.

4 minutes ago, JMelo said:

There you go! I was waiting for a fanboy replied that said the game is perfect and nothing wrong with that.

Didn't say it was perfect, but I'm not going to avoid giving it credit for the things it does right.

35 minutes ago, Goji said:

That depends on what you're defining as graphics.  I think the graphics are outdated in places.

While the artstyle and costumes are pretty good, the textures used for a lot of the environments leaves to be desired.

ygQOm6U.jpg?1

This picture was taken with all the settings maxed out.  Like I said in my previous post, the textures in this game look like something from 2004.

3 minutes ago, Bezerko said:

That depends on what you're defining as graphics.  I think the graphics are outdated in places.

While the artstyle and costumes are pretty good, the textures used for a lot of the environments leaves to be desired.

ygQOm6U.jpg?1

Considering how old this game, and the fact that it's designed to be an accessible MMO, the graphics are well done.  Obviously it's not going to stand up to the triple A titles of today, though. 

36 minutes ago, Goji said:

Gameplay-wise this is the best MMO on the market by a pretty wide-margin.

Vindictus? Elsword? Those are just some off the top of my head. Even Neverwinter is about on par with it, but excels in that it didn't have such a bot problem. I'm not saying BnS gameplay isn't enjoyable, but it's far from perfect.

1 minute ago, Moggie said:

VinVindictus? Elsword? Those are just some off the top of my head. Even Neverwinter is about on par with it, but excels in that it didn't have such a bot problem. I'm not saying BnS gameplay isn't enjoyable, but it's far from perfect.

Vindictus had cool looking gameplay, but it was easy and pretty shallow.  Never played Elsword but looking at videos it seems like it's just some 2D brawler.  Neverwinter was better than average gameplay but, again, simplistic.

Blade and Soul has the best combination of aesthetics, animations and deep gameplay I've ever seen in an MMO. 

14 minutes ago, Guacamole said:

Adding to the reasons everyone has given. This game was hyped and long awaited by a good number of people, so seeing it finally arrive and being this... average in some ends and below average in others really bummed us down.

I think the game itself is good fun outside of the huge Korean MMO grind aspect.

It's just being run into the dirt, they will continue along this path till the game and it's publisher kill themselves (something TERA recently did and will never recover from). All my friends have already left, I'm looking for a half decent game as well (3 of us tried BDO courtesy of my $50 bundle and friend passes) if only for the sole reason to drop this POS right on it's ass. Black Desert is equally shitty but for entirely different reasons.

NCsoft doesn't deserve another penny from this player base under any circumstances.

6 minutes ago, Goji said:

Vindictus had cool looking gameplay, but it was easy and pretty shallow.  Never played Elsword but looking at videos it seems like it's just some 2D brawler.  Neverwinter was better than average gameplay but, again, simplistic.

Blade and Soul has the best combination of aesthetics, animations and deep gameplay I've ever seen in an MMO. 

I don't mean this as an attack against you, but I'm very confused as to what constitutes "deep" gameplay in your opinion. Neverwinter is pretty much the same game as this. Essentially a "battle of the cooldown timers".

2 minutes ago, Moggie said:

I don't mean this as an attack against you, but I'm very confused as to what constitutes "deep" gameplay in your opinion. Neverwinter is pretty much the same game as this. Essentially a "battle of the cooldown timers".

Arena 1v1 matchups require different approaches; we have tons of combos to remember; blocks/counters/iframes to time; animation cancels to perfect; cooldowns to manage  There's a lot going on in an Arena match. 

22 minutes ago, Goji said:

Considering how old this game, and the fact that it's designed to be an accessible MMO, the graphics are well done.  Obviously it's not going to stand up to the triple A titles of today, though. 

The game isn't really that old.  Wasn't it 2012 that it launched in Korea?  These graphics even in 2012 are still subpar when compared to games that launched in 2012.  I don't recall the graphics being that bad in games like Rift or TERA.  It gets worse when this game is trying to sell itself as a "new" game in the west trying to compete against games that were actually developed years later and released in 2016.

5 minutes ago, Goji said:

Arena 1v1 matchups require different approaches; we have tons of combos to remember; blocks/counters/iframes to time; animation cancels to perfect; cooldowns to manage  There's a lot going on in an Arena match. 

You have to remember, animation cancels are an exploit (legal or not) and are part of what is ruining the integrity of pvp in this game (and usually most games that it exists within). It's more of a con than a pro. All of the iframes have unfeasible cooldowns to be used strategically in pvp. In fact, the only time they can be improved with skill is in pve, where the opponents' attacks are predictable. Against a human opponent, you just have to use them when you think is best and pray that you don't have to dodge anything else for 8 seconds.

4 minutes ago, Duboges said:

I like the game but....

-shit optimization 

-random lag 

-mouse always goes onto another monitor 

other than that I dont give a *cricket*, make a game that runs then take it from there...... 

If you press alt+enter at the same time you'll go into actual full-screen mode.  That will stop your mouse from wandering onto your other monitor.  You have to press both at the same time, though, not hold alt than press enter or vice versa. 

56 minutes ago, Moggie said:

You have to remember, animation cancels are an exploit (legal or not) and are part of what is ruining the integrity of pvp in this game (and usually most games that it exists within). It's more of a con than a pro. All of the iframes have unfeasible cooldowns to be used strategically in pvp. In fact, the only time they can be improved with skill is in pve, where the opponents' attacks are predictable. Against a human opponent, you just have to use them when you think is best and pray that you don't have to dodge anything else for 8 seconds.

You can time iframes in PvP to good effect, and the fact that you view some things as exploits doesn't mean they aren't layers of complexity to the combat.  As it stands no MMO has Blade and Souls gameplay depth for individual characters.  Group dynamics are rather simplistic in BnS, but that's not something I really care about.  I'd rather my character be interesting to play. 

12 hours ago, Rottmer said:

The only thing this game has going for it is the combat.

The combat is the most important aspect tho, and they have that going for them. This is why players complain, the game is good. I just wish they would fix issues instead of putting all their energy into releasing content.. I'm getting so tired of the bad performance, I want them to fix these issues so I can enjoy the game. I have no problem giving them money, but right now it just doesn't feel like a good investment.

9 minutes ago, Goji said:

You can time iframes in PvP to good effect, and the fact that you view some things as exploits doesn't mean they aren't layers of complexity to the combat.  As it stands no MMO has Blade and Souls gameplay depth for individual characters.  Group dynamics are rather simplistic in BnS, but that's not something I really care about.  I'd rather my character be interesting to play. 

I suppose we can agree to disagree. I honestly see no depth in BnS's combat system, as it essentially comes down to "use whatever isn't on cooldown at the moment". I do realize there is some strategy that goes into it, such as skills that work well together or that reset eachother's cooldowns, but overall it is negligible. For me, Vindictus represents what combat in an mmo can potentially be. There's no cooldown on most skills, allowing you to be free to dodge as much as your own personal reaction time allows. Movements feel more fluid, and seems like how it would actually feel to be there fighting in those situations. In my opinion, the combo system is more intuitive as well, being mapped mostly to the mouse instead of trying to dance your fingers around 10 different buttons. Again, I don't think BnS's combat is bad, I just think people over-glorify it, as if they did something revolutionary.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...for starters, OP:

1) A decent game wouldn't keep the Wardrobe functionality hostage behind a subscription (the only thing WORTH ANYTHING there), and costumes would be account-wide by nature instead of requiring a shameless cash-grab consumable to move around.

2) A decent game wouldn't suddenly force the players out of their selected playstyle (PvE, PvP) to continue the progression of their characters at endgame. PvP players can't level up properly without Pve, and PvE players can't upgrade their gear without doing Pvp dailies. 

3) A decent game would be upfront about the intended playstyle of players, instead of letting everyone to reach endgame through 'casual' PvE before they are told "Reached endgame! Awesome. Hope you like PvP because that's required for progresion trololol!"

4) A decent game wouldn't have invisible walls on hills that aren't on the borders of the map. Seriously, I've smashed my head against an invisible wall placed around a hill...when there's a friggin' road going around that same hill. 

5) A decent game respects the player's time.

The combat, character customization and outfits are pretty darn great, though. The area design isn't BAD, either, it's just that it's filled with low-res rextures, invisible walls and corridor design paradigms. But everything else fluctuates between 'meh' and 'this is infuriating'.

They know the best thing they have are the outfits, so they are trying to squeeze as much money as possible with them. But the worse thing is that the 'fans' of the game are going along with it.

On 3/18/2016 at 1:39 AM, Evilshana said:

I really don't understand the overwhelming amount of hate being generated in this game. Also a low review despite most reviewers never even made it to the level cap, which is when the game play really gets challenging.

Granted the amount of bots are insane, but thats to be expected for F2P games now.

The game is some what outdated, questing are as linear as FF13 and exploration does not exist. Kinda wish it was more FF14.

Censorship (on a few costume too) and translation that can make the most culturally ignorant/intolerant person cry. So much dialog does not line up with the original and misspelling once in awhile is not making it any better.

Customer support for the forum is useless, my main forum account was banned for no reason and so far I had 0 respond from the mail address given to me by admin and support to send to ask after many tries.

2/3 character info I see has 18+ H image.

Players, who are frequently venomous in personality nit pick on a game that is completely free.

But still the game has the best online RPG Combat system by far and the eastern theme and art style is very unique approach.

The costumes are expensive but looks great, haven't had any regretful purchase.

Currency trade which makes its completely possible for nothing to be behind paywall. They've already given more to non-paying player more than any other servers does.

A surprisingly low server down streak which happened like crazy in CN.

• You honestly sound like you would rather be playing FFXIV or GW2 but you can't because you realized how slow and boring the combat is and how bland the pve is in both games.
  • As for the censorship of costume? Thats just a blatant lie and you are just jumping on the censorship bandwagon without even checking your facts, no costumes in game have been censored at all from the Korean version
  • The 18+ H images were a problem for sure, but now thats been handled and is being worked on
  • Bots are a problem in here, but they literally do not interfere with players at all except for in the arena and stealing mining nodes. Besides that you can ignore bots and still enjoy the game.
On 3/18/2016 at 3:58 AM, BourneEndeavour said:

First, we really need to define "hate". Being critical or simply deciding the game isn't for them and offering an explanation as to why, does not constitute "hate". That's a very important distinction. I, personally, find Blade & Soul an average to below average game with a stellar combat system. Unfortunately, this doesn't necessarily hold up well in today's market, especially out West where expectations are significantly higher. Grind-centric games no longer have the draw they once did because people in NA/EU want more to do. That all being said, I'll list some of my reasons.

• PvE is a relative bore: Despite a visceral and engaging combat system, the PvE aspect of the game draws little from this established core due to poor enemy A.I resulting in only a few button clicks being all you'll ever need.
  • Bland story: Admittedly, no one should be anticipating Final Fantasy XIV given who the respective publishers are, however what is there is little more than your average cliched revenge tale. Few characters stand out or offer intrigue into a world that is ultimately serves to be a pretty background instead of a richly developed universe. Hajoon's a prime example. While I actually liked his witty charm, I had nowhere the investment needed to care over his death. He was "that tutorial guy" before I even realized you can meet him at the school on my second character.
  • Lore: Touched on above, the world of Blade & Soul feels... empty at times. We discover so little and seemingly have no rhythm or reason for the things we do... other than to do them. Perhaps a less noteworthy reason for some, but I need to feel engaged in my surroundings to fully appreciate them. 
  • Combat... and what else?: I, honestly, ask myself what else there is to do a bit too frequently. Crafting is objectively terrible, we have spoken about the story and due to its solo'd nature you lack the dynamism in raid content offered by WoW/XIV/GW2, or the sheer world building of BDO. If you're into PvP, Blade & Soul will sate you plenty. Frankly, I recommend it highly to those who are. For everyone else... you don't have much variety. 
  • The Grind: Unless you are a seriously dedicated player, with ample playtime, you will be left behind; but unlike other MMOs, there is no means of catching up. As the gap continues to grow between those playing 6-8 hours a day and others who don't, more people will lose interest by virtue of seeing an Everest they feel isn't worth climbing.
  • While I'm not particularly bothered by the Cash Shop, it's bloated prices in conjunction with all the bots being somewhat neglected is a definite turn-off for many, I suspect. NA/EU audiences are far less forgiving, especially towards the latter.
  • The UI: It is... dated. Minimal flexibility and a clunky interface in general left me more than a little frustrated at times. In 2016, adjustments such as these border on mandatory and cannot be overlooked. 

So what does Blade & Soul do well then? 

• Combat: Have I not emphasized this enough? Because I really ought-- at least as it pertains to PvP. The sheer variety of options and combos is rather impressive. Your actions feel fluid and immediately response, enacting a sense of personal skill no tad-targeted counterpart can directly offer. While I might somewhat prefer the latter, I also appreciate the overall complexity Blade & Soul has under the hood.

Is the game by any means bad? No. I feel it has a target audience in mind and only cares to focus on them specifically, which is fine. Whether I think such is viable over the long term is another story. Ultimately, gamers simply have so many options, especially with how affordable good gaming PCs are nowadays that B&S may well have missed its opportunity to make an impact in the West. 

Bear in my, of course, this is all subjective. You always do you. If you're enjoying Blade & Soul, never let someone else tell you otherwise. 

• So if PvE is a bore here I would like to know which MMO on the market right now has good PvE? And no, upcoming games are not on the market.
  • Bland story, ill give you that but the story is still alright its just not on FFXIV level because the only thing FFXIV has is story and nothing else, don't play mmos for story.
  • Crafting is bad and theres no world building? Well thats your opinion and it sounds like you like sandbox games like BDO and not this. Sitting down to do crafting for hours is something most people dont find fun, which is why is great to be able to craft an order and then continue doing other stuff while you wait. Sandbox games like BDO are just that, they have tons of fun activities to do but ultimately no real combat no matter how much they try to add it.

What grind is there? If you logged on solo only on the weekends for 6-8 hours you would still be caught up. Now if you don't want to craft to make money, don't want to do any dailies, and don't want to find a clan/friends well then thats on you.

26 minutes ago, Spiderbot said:

Well...for starters, OP:

1) A decent game wouldn't keep the Wardrobe functionality hostage behind a subscription (the only thing WORTH ANYTHING there), and costumes would be account-wide by nature instead of requiring a shameless cash-grab consumable to move around.

2) A decent game wouldn't suddenly force the players out of their selected playstyle (PvE, PvP) to continue the progression of their characters at endgame. PvP players can't level up properly without Pve, and PvE players can't upgrade their gear without doing Pvp dailies. 

3) A decent game would be upfront about the intended playstyle of players, instead of letting everyone to reach endgame through 'casual' PvE before they are told "Reached endgame! Awesome. Hope you like PvP because that's required for progresion trololol!"

4) A decent game wouldn't have invisible walls on hills that aren't on the borders of the map. Seriously, I've smashed my head against an invisible wall placed around a hill...when there's a friggin' road going around that same hill. 

5) A decent game respects the player's time.

The combat, character customization and outfits are pretty darn great, though. The area design isn't BAD, either, it's just that it's filled with low-res rextures, invisible walls and corridor design paradigms. But everything else fluctuates between 'meh' and 'this is infuriating'.

They know the best thing they have are the outfits, so they are trying to squeeze as much money as possible with them. But the worse thing is that the 'fans' of the game are going along with it.

• So you cannot pay $12 a month to buy premium? That either means you do not work or you are spending your money on other "more important" things because anyone with a laptop and internet should be able to afford $12 a month especially when they probably have netflix. Its just where people set their priorities and thats on them
  • I'll give you that, but the mix required is minimal so if you can't even do that much then it looks like the game isn't for you.
  • When do you ever have to PvP? Because you don't unless you think faction dailies where you are killing ----> NPCs <----- is PvP just because you have the outfit on.
  • So theres invisible walls and you cant just hop over the map where ever you want to like in other games, well if thats a deal breaker for you then you must not have enjoyed the game
  • I would like to see what you mean here, if you mean that you have to play 8 hours a day to enjoy it then thats not true. Now if you mean that you should be able to be just as good as those hardcore people who play hours everyday when you only play 1-2, then thats just being selfish.

In the end I keep seeing all these posts about how bad people think the game is but then those same people are still playing the game and browsing the forums, so its obvious that they aren't even listening to themselves.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:39 PM, Evilshana said:

I really don't understand the overwhelming amount of hate being generated in this game. Also a low review despite most reviewers never even made it to the level cap, which is when the game play really gets challenging.

Some times I wonder do people even know what the shit they talk about:

1.  Not understanding something is fine, but then you cant also comment on it which you have done. - fail

Granted the amount of bots are insane, but thats to be expected for F2P games now.

2. No that's not to be expected. bots can be stopped on so much easy ways and levels its laughable for companies that doesn't. - fail

The game is some what outdated, questing are as linear as FF13 and exploration does not exist. Kinda wish it was more FF14.

3. Game cant be outdated as they released it and almost all content in 2 months, in order to catch up with kr/ch servers, while on there game exist for 5 years.

If u want questing go play ammo, quests here r solely for leveling, for exploration I suggest sims.

So if u want its more like ff14, why not actually go and play ff14? - fail x3.

Censorship (on a few costume too) and translation that can make the most culturally ignorant/intolerant person cry. So much dialog does not line up with the original and misspelling once in awhile is not making it any better.

4. Yes censorship sucks but oh well coffee and donuts lovers will always cave in to politically correct idiots and feminists... that's why, while translation well... picking off translators on streets done its part.

Yes its actually hard to do a decent line up and sync and stuff bout sounds and stuff [sarcasm]. - correct.

Customer support for the forum is useless, my main forum account was banned for no reason and so far I had 0 respond from the mail address given to me by admin and support to send to ask after many tries.

5. Again what to expect from coffee and donuts lovers... - correct.

2/3 character info I see has 18+ H image.

6. On which they have absolutely right. Game is rated 12+, your profile is not. if someone don't like they don't watch it, complaining just cuz u don't like is silly and proof of adolescence. - fail.

Players, who are frequently venomous in personality nit pick on a game that is completely free.

7. Which is actually false. WoW (which is only like one of sub-mmos) has people like that in numbers around 10 times then 4 combined blade & souls.

Also today venomous people are those that: either try to help, or those who don't want to waste time on weaklings. Even I rarely meet real ones that flame just cuz flaming. - fail

But still the game has the best online RPG Combat system by far and the eastern theme and art style is very unique approach.

8. You didn't play much of this type of games did you? its enough to say that EVERY SINGLE kr/jap/ch martial arts orientated mmo is like this. - fail

The costumes are expensive but looks great, haven't had any regretful purchase.

9. If costumes here looks great damn son you need new glasses. Most of costumes r remakes of each others, or a bit remodeled or w/e. This is one of worst games in terms of cosmetics. I think even Skyforge put more effort into that. - fail

Currency trade which makes its completely possible for nothing to be behind paywall. They've already given more to non-paying player more than any other servers does.

10. Too bad there is nothing worthwhile spending your boorishly grinded gold to change for coins, when there is nothing really to buy it. Everything expect service and maybe inventory expands r useless to so many laughable levels. - fail

A surprisingly low server down streak which happened like crazy in CN.

11. Obvious sign that game sux. - correct

All in all this game is on steroids 4[5]/10, and that's just maybe + speculation.

Far from decent as 4/10 is bellow average.

For this game to be decent (which would be 6[7]/10) you have to be 360noscope brain damage yolo type of person.

Bots, hackers, and company refuses to dedicate a GM to getting rid of them. Same hackers in game, same bots running rampant for weeks, top pvpers are still acknowledged cheaters and bots.

Gold sellers

Latency. It's a bit better because of all the people who quit but still

Overzealous forum admins who presume gestapo forum moderation and ban you for even telling people to shut up (personal attack my ass). Who will ban YOU for exposing a name of a bot, etc.

Game freezes up for a split second every time I inhale, despite the fact that I am running it on $5000 state-of-the-art machine.

On that note, I should mention that the publisher does care and does do certain things, but their acknowledgement is silent and their presence rare. They really should post stuff here rather than on Twitter and Fraudbook.  By them not doing so gives most players the sense that nothing is being done. This is not true, a LOT is being done, but the single few biggest problems are seemingly ignored.  If you guys would have seen some responses by NCSoft members you would see that these people really do care. How much can be done and what is being actually done may be another issue but they really are trying. However keep in mind that it's up to he management as to what takes priority.

Archived