OCEANIC SERVERS 1 SIGN OFF 10,000 SIGNATURES FOR OCEANIC SERVERS

CharlieKnR

8 minutes ago, InvaderMissy said:

I'm from NA but I'm vacationing in AUS for a year. Not happy when I used to get 30ms - 80ms ping to MMOs now I get 250ms. :/ I signed the petition because at some point I do want to move to AUS, but now I'm not so sure. My boyfriend is from AUS that is why I want to move here and get out of the NA slump. I'm just realizing that the gaming community here is huge (went to the EB games Expo) but it seems like game companies don't want to interfere with AUS strict regulations of games and its censoring.

1) Hope you enjoy your time here and decide to stay here :)
2) We have some different laws, but I sincerely believe there will be no major issues. If there are issues regarding certain things in Australia, it would be great if we could be told this so Australians can be aware of this issue and maybe we can do something about it to get it changed.

I don't think there will be any issues regarding censorship, since most of the censorship involves reducing extreme gore. I think the issues come down to owning space to hold the servers, employing people to run the office space, and trying to create a system where the team in Australia can cooperate with the team in the US.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lermoran said:

2) We have some different laws, but I sincerely believe there will be no major issues. If there are issues regarding certain things in Australia, it would be great if we could be told this so Australians can be aware of this issue and maybe we can do something about it to get it changed.

I don't think there will be any issues regarding censorship, since most of the censorship involves reducing extreme gore. I think the issues come down to owning space to hold the servers, employing people to run the office space, and trying to create a system where the team in Australia can cooperate with the team in the US.

Thanks, I'm enjoying it here :)

My comment about censorship is that some of the M or AO ratings in NA are more or less MA or R in AUS. My bf said its mainly extreme gore and nudity that get that rating. Mainly its the rating system I was referring to.

Just now, InvaderMissy said:

Thanks, I'm enjoying it here :)

My comment about censorship is that some of the M or AO ratings in NA are more or less MA or R in AUS. My bf said its mainly extreme gore and nudity that get that rating. Mainly its the rating system I was referring to.

Ahh, yeah. Definitely. Unfortunately the committees that decide ratings are full of conservatives (or at least are widely influenced by conservative interest groups). I'm not sure how that can be fixed though. Do you know if federal or state governments have any control over it?

2 minutes ago, Lermoran said:

Ahh, yeah. Definitely. Unfortunately the committees that decide ratings are full of conservatives (or at least are widely influenced by conservative interest groups). I'm not sure how that can be fixed though. Do you know if federal or state governments have any control over it?

I don't really know for AUS but if you're asking for NA its a federal trades commission (Entertainment Software Rating Board or ESRB rating)

20 hours ago, CharlieKnR said:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/958/585/460/show-ncsoft-that-there-is-a-demand-for-an-oceanic-sea-server-for-blade-soul/

1 SIGN off 10k signatures. hopefully the devs see that 10k is enough people to make money from.

I'd bet less than 10% of those people are actually from the region but sympathisers.

NCSoft know how many people play from each country. If they find it viable, and I very much doubt that, they will make one.

11 minutes ago, Saccharin said:

I'd bet less than 10% of those people are actually from the region but sympathisers.

NCSoft know how many people play from each country. If they find it viable, and I very much doubt that, they will make one.

This is relevant/helpful to this discussion.. how? 

2 hours ago, Renegade said:

like people have said, its not just australia or NZ its people from SEA

They wont have the licence for other countries.

1 minute ago, Lermoran said:

This is relevant/helpful to this discussion.. how? 

Because the OP says 10k signatures and I'm saying most of them wont be from Australia and New Zealand.

Secondly, NCSoft know who logs into the game and where so they know the EXACT number of people who log into Australia and New Zealand.

It's 100% relevant to the OP and theme of the thread. You just dont like it.

4 minutes ago, Saccharin said:

They wont have the licence for other countries.

Because the OP says 10k signatures and I'm saying most of them wont be from Australia and New Zealand.

Secondly, NCSoft know who logs into the game and where so they know the EXACT number of people who log into Australia and New Zealand.

It's 100% relevant to the OP and theme of the thread. You just dont like it.

No, you're guessing. You aren't NCSoft, they've said numerous times they're looking into it because there's a lot of different aspects that need to be considered.

I don't know where you get off literally visiting every thread about the Oceanic community and causing problems. There's one thing having doubts about something, but you aren't going to silence people by being hostile and negative. This isn't an issue where sides need to be taken. One community is requesting service and trying to show the numbers for it. There isn't a logical reason for you to get self-righteous over this.

If you have doubts about our community and numbers, then fine, it's not our problem you think that way, so don't make it our problem.

1 minute ago, Lermoran said:

No, you're guessing. You aren't NCSoft, they've said numerous times they're looking into it because there's a lot of different aspects that need to be considered.

I don't know where you get off literally visiting every thread about the Oceanic community and causing problems. There's one thing having doubts about something, but you aren't going to silence people by being hostile and negative. This isn't an issue where sides need to be taken. One community is requesting service and trying to show the numbers for it. There isn't a logical reason for you to get self-righteous over this.

Every post, hardly, a few.

It's called diplomacy on NCSoft's part and these links are months old. The game has launched and at the moment they'll have the most players they'll ever likely to have.

The hostility is from the Aus and NZ players.

Looking at Wikipedia and doing a little addition the combined population of Australia and new Zealand is 28.5 million. That's a lot of people there's no dispute but is there enough to warrant a separate data centre. No, a realm or whatever they call it here is not just one physical server it's made up of several. The hardware is not just your normal PC that costs under a grand. They also need to be hosted somewhere. You have all the associated costs with running a data centre. Staff for one; it's not going to be one guy now.

Let's say that 10k figure is accurate, for now. At the moment we're under the launch explosion and sooner or later the population will plummet. People are already reporting no queues on lower pop servers. This mythical figure would be 2k or even lower by the time these servers were put in place. Are Australian and New Zealand players more likely to stick around. I dont see why they would be.

Now let's look at the f2p model. It's possible to play the game with out paying so there's a very large proportion who dont pay. This is around 15% as an industry standard. Let's be generous an say 20%. So if only 20% pay and so few players how would an Australian and New Zealand server be viable. NCSoft have been making new sertvers avaibale and we all know that eventually they will have to merge and we'll likely have under half the realms in under a year. Thankfully with region wide names this wont be a major issue.

I can't blame players for wanting a local server but aggressive pursuit by some is fruitless at best if not delusional. Call me all the names under the sun but it wont change reality.

That's enough from me on the matter I'm not feeding you any more.

They should just use this as an opportunity to start getting their servers on cloud infrastructure. If the configs were done cleanly by the devs they can lift and shift whole server stacks from one geo region to another, within a day, or terminate servers that have low population and unprofitable. This without any local datacentre requirements - they can manage it all from NA or wherever they primarily operate. It'll be good for them in the long run if they continue to do MMOs.

Not convinced its server hosting theyre hesitant about, usually these games have some sort of regional distribution rights to operate which they need to deal with.

7 hours ago, Lermoran said:

though we have a higher rating for games now, so the so called censorship will be age restrictions only from what ive seen so far

6 hours ago, Saccharin said:

Every post, hardly, a few.

It's called diplomacy on NCSoft's part and these links are months old. The game has launched and at the moment they'll have the most players they'll ever likely to have.

The hostility is from the Aus and NZ players.

Looking at Wikipedia and doing a little addition the combined population of Australia and new Zealand is 28.5 million. That's a lot of people there's no dispute but is there enough to warrant a separate data centre. No, a realm or whatever they call it here is not just one physical server it's made up of several. The hardware is not just your normal PC that costs under a grand. They also need to be hosted somewhere. You have all the associated costs with running a data centre. Staff for one; it's not going to be one guy now.

Let's say that 10k figure is accurate, for now. At the moment we're under the launch explosion and sooner or later the population will plummet. People are already reporting no queues on lower pop servers. This mythical figure would be 2k or even lower by the time these servers were put in place. Are Australian and New Zealand players more likely to stick around. I dont see why they would be.

Now let's look at the f2p model. It's possible to play the game with out paying so there's a very large proportion who dont pay. This is around 15% as an industry standard. Let's be generous an say 20%. So if only 20% pay and so few players how would an Australian and New Zealand server be viable. NCSoft have been making new sertvers avaibale and we all know that eventually they will have to merge and we'll likely have under half the realms in under a year. Thankfully with region wide names this wont be a major issue.

I can't blame players for wanting a local server but aggressive pursuit by some is fruitless at best if not delusional. Call me all the names under the sun but it wont change reality.

That's enough from me on the matter I'm not feeding you any more.

again you are forgetting that it isnt just australia and zew zealand, you americans need to learn this.

17 hours ago, Renegade said:

again you are forgetting that it isnt just australia and zew zealand, you americans need to learn this.

What ever subsidy that operates our version most likely doesn't have a license for any other territory. Australia and new Zealand often get lumped in with North American and Europe due to the fact they are essentially a western-style English-speaking country so it would make sense.

I dont know here you got the impression I was from the USA as I'm in the UK.

You should wipe that egg from your face it'll make a mess.

8 minutes ago, Saccharin said:

What ever subsidy that operates our version most likely doesn't have a license for any other territory. Australia and new Zealand often get lumped in with North American and Europe due to the fact they are essentially a western-style English-speaking country so it would make sense.

I dont know here you got the impression I was from the USA as I'm in the UK.

You should wipe that egg from your face it'll make a mess.

Well considering you don't live here SEA/Oceanic matters have nothing at all to do with you, i'd get that arrogance checked. 

Yeah, no. With the amount of people on forums DECLARING THEY WILL BE F2P AND WILL NEVER BUY PREMIUM FOR A F2P GAME (NA, EU, and SEA players, doesn't matter), even with 100,000 signatures, how many of them will actually buy things to support the game? I'm not talking about the occasional outfit purchase. I'm talking about a steady, monthly purchase. 

millions from either NA or EU vs SEA/Oceanic (remember, Australians and New Zealanders aren't known for MMOs too much. The majority of them will be F2P plebs).

1 minute ago, Anna said:

Yeah, no. With the amount of people on forums DECLARING THEY WILL BE F2P AND WILL NEVER BUY PREMIUM FOR A F2P GAME (NA, EU, and SEA players, doesn't matter), even with 100,000 signatures, how many of them will actually buy things to support the game? I'm not talking about the occasional outfit purchase. I'm talking about a steady, monthly purchase. 

millions from either NA or EU vs SEA/Oceanic (remember, Australians and New Zealanders aren't known for MMOs too much. The majority of them will be F2P plebs).

We aren't 'known' because we continue to get shafted, just laziness here. They could do it if they wanted to, just rent a damn server and hire like three guys to make sure it stays on. 

Please. Shafted? The majority of Australians just aren't too into hardcore MMO gaming. And with how bad the internet was in Australia (very expensive for good speed + unlimited, and if it's just unlimited, it's very slow, thanks Optus; idk about NZ), I'd rather have the sever in Singapore. Asian, master race.

I've said it before, and will say it again; if you guys truly believe that there is money to be made by opening Oceanic servers, then set up a publishing company, set-up a lease for the games that you believe would make a killing there, and sit back and watch the money roll in.  It would be just as easy for you guys to set something along those line up as it would be for NCSoft to find a server farm that suits their needs, and set up an Oceanic server. Plus if you set it up yourselves then you can make sure maintenance wouldn't be in the middle of your Prime time. 

Or you could just admit the fact that the money really isn't there that would justify all the trouble to set everything up.

Just saying.

5 minutes ago, Trox said:

I've said it before, and will say it again; if you guys truly believe that there is money to be made by opening Oceanic servers, then set up a publishing company, set-up a lease for the games that you believe would make a killing there, and sit back and watch the money roll in.  It would be just as easy for you guys to set something along those line up as it would be for NCSoft to find a server farm that suits their needs, and set up an Oceanic server. Plus if you set it up yourselves then you can make sure maintenance wouldn't be in the middle of your Prime time. 

Or you could just admit the fact that the money really isn't there that would justify all the trouble to set everything up.

Just saying.

But having connect to both regions that are over 13,000km distant away is just plain stupid for a latency sensitive game. Best region setup is NA, EU, Asia/Oceanic as always, Reduce the distant reduce the ping and everyone is happy. I'm suffering 280-340ping to want to voice this out loud. And just so you know not everyone in Asia can read in chinese/korean/japanese from my knowledge.

37 minutes ago, Trox said:

Just saying.

More justifying of ineptitude, how hard can it be to rent one or two servers and hire a couple of people to keep them running? Blizzard just rents a dozen servers and pays to have them kept up on their schedule 

Alright, So it seems people think NCSoft would know how many people from certain regions are connecting to their game (which they should). Did you ever think that some people just never bothered to download and play the game because of the simple fact that there is no Servers for their region. I mean look at WoW and the LoL Oceanic playerbase, Thats thriving fine and LoL is one of the most competitive games to play right now. Also there is absolutely no Blade and Soul marketing here in AUS/NZ, If there was then that petition would have filled up long by now. Because look at it we have 10k Signatures with no marketing and last time i checked Australia's population was in the 20 millions so if 10k of 20 million with no marketing at all, Imagine what it would be WITH marketing. Remember you Oceanic outsiders. We do exist, There is a market here. And Australia isn't some baron wasteland full of kangaroos and crocodiles and animal hunters/tamers. We are a 1st world country just like the others. Bringing a server here will do more good than harm. Also there would be more people entering the Championship for this game if we had our own server. I know you people from NA/EU got it good but we still cant play the game how its supposed to be played. So look out for us so we can kick butt in this game as good as you guys can. Seriously the ping difference even effects Attack speed DRASTICALLY.

37 minutes ago, Dechead said:

Alright, So it seems people think NCSoft would know how many people from certain regions are connecting to their game (which they should). Did you ever think that some people just never bothered to download and play the game because of the simple fact that there is no Servers for their region. I mean look at WoW and the LoL Oceanic playerbase, Thats thriving fine and LoL is one of the most competitive games to play right now. Also there is absolutely no Blade and Soul marketing here in AUS/NZ, If there was then that petition would have filled up long by now. Because look at it we have 10k Signatures with no marketing and last time i checked Australia's population was in the 20 millions so if 10k of 20 million with no marketing at all, Imagine what it would be WITH marketing. Remember you Oceanic outsiders. We do exist, There is a market here. And Australia isn't some baron wasteland full of kangaroos and crocodiles and animal hunters/tamers. We are a 1st world country just like the others. Bringing a server here will do more good than harm. Also there would be more people entering the Championship for this game if we had our own server. I know you people from NA/EU got it good but we still cant play the game how its supposed to be played. So look out for us so we can kick butt in this game as good as you guys can. Seriously the ping difference even effects Attack speed DRASTICALLY.

My, God. You don't grasp the concept that the 10k signatures AREN'T ALL AUSTRALIANS RIGHT? 

Moreover, internet is quite sh*t in Australia. Overpriced for unlimited and decent speed, and if it's unlimited, the speed is usually very bad. 

Archived