Delay in maintenance from 1 hour to 4 more

chilegamerz

The same thing always happens, but now it's the last straw as the delay can be from 1 hour to 4 hours, I can't believe how they can be so irresponsible with the players and the worst thing is that they don't give a "decent" answer or reward "Not everyone has time to play 7 days a week.

psd: You are the first game I know that is so irresponsible and disrespectful to its players.

psd 2: If it wasn't for the fact that I like the game so much, I would have left it years ago.

1 minute ago, chilegamerz said:

The same thing always happens, but now it's the last straw as the delay can be from 1 hour to 4 hours, I can't believe how they can be so irresponsible with the players and the worst thing is that they don't give a "decent" answer or reward "Not everyone has time to play 7 days a week.

psd: You are the first game I know that is so irresponsible and disrespectful to its players.

psd 2: If it wasn't for the fact that I like the game so much, I would have left it years ago.

Do keep in mind that it is not as simple as them pushing a button and the server updates. There are many technical factors that we are unaware of...but this much maint is rather insane. It's drawing close to the time it took for the UE4 update and that one at least made sense for its extreme length.

Just now, DenialOfTruth said:

Do keep in mind that it is not as simple as them pushing a button and the server updates. There are many technical factors that we are unaware of...but this much maint is rather insane. It's drawing close to the time it took for the UE4 update and that one at least made sense for its extreme length.

then you should put an hour that is more like reality and not 5 hours instead of the 10 hours that this update really takes, we are talking to professional people in their work and they should take the duration of server maintenance more seriously that's also out of respect for all of us who play this game.

its kinda funny because I have learned to just expect it but I do agree. Id much rather them under promise over deliver.

Ok you think its possible your maintenance should only take 4? Do you foresee any possible issues you might have to fight? Cool tell us it will take 8 hours and if by some miracle your done early we will all celebrate getting our game back faster than promised.

Versus telling us we will be done by X but oh no its taking longer so Y then welp looks like its Z. Then game goes live and is still broken.

Edited by AllSlidersMaxed

If NC says it will take 10 hours but open servers early less people would be annoyed. Yesterday when we saw that todays maintenance will take only 5.5 hours, despite today we will have an update, all of us knew it was gonna get delayed, and it did, twice. What is frustrating the most for me is how much self-awareness NC is lacking, are they not aware that every maintenance gets delayed every single week, and its especially worse when there is an update? It seems they are not and considering for how long this has been going on it feels like they will never notice it.

• NCSOFT
45 minutes ago, chilegamerz said:

Let me take a moment to tell you a little bit more about what happened: our team of engineers and producers have to run programs during the maintenance to the Blade & Soul architecture. Sometimes, some programs break or have to be adapted on the fly by people trying their best to make these complicated systems work. Some of these things take hours to complete, so we provide an estimate of how long the servers have to be offline, but it's not always 100% accurate. Last week, the maintenance was 30 minutes shorter than estimated. This week, we had a technical problem that took longer to solve. Thank you for your patience as we look to move forward with the New Empires update release.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, DenialOfTruth said:

Well in fact thats how it should be (in a professional environment), ever heared about CI/CD? I mean automating the release process and releasing to a stage environment so you know everything works (including the release process) should be pretty standard nowadays. It isn't 1999 anymore.

Edited by Hated

44 minutes ago, chilegamerz said:

Dono how you can say that when a lot of other companies are so much worse.

Ever heard of Call of duty? Battlefield? Cyberpunk 2077? or the entirety of EA?

3 minutes ago, Green Storm said:

Thank you for your patience as we look to move forward with the New Empires update release

Appreciate your response very much ❤️

Tho i think you should duck and cover from these forums because people are just toxic.

I will never understand why they can't handle being 1 day a week away from the game, But it is what it is.

Edited by Uldrum

• NCSOFT
3 minutes ago, Uldrum said:

Appreciate your response very much ❤️

Tho i think you should duck and cover from these forums because people are just toxic.

I will never understand why they can't handle being 1 day a week away from the game, But it is what it is.

Thank you! I see some words represent frustration, while others are not understood the same way (as quite a few players here are not native speakers). I felt that it was important in the middle of this unexpected delay to talk to people who express their feedback and give them a peak behind the curtain.

• Like 1

an earlier maint late at night in cali would give as many people as possible be able to be awake or around for a patch or maint, maybe take that into consideration since people sometimes take days off for a big content update of their favorite games like in ff14, wow and blade and soul to a smaller degree. Still problems will happen, it's only human, do what you can is all you can do. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Green Storm said:

Let me take a moment to tell you a little bit more about what happened: our team of engineers and producers have to run programs during the maintenance to the Blade & Soul architecture. Sometimes, some programs break or have to be adapted on the fly by people trying their best to make these complicated systems work. Some of these things take hours to complete, so we provide an estimate of how long the servers have to be offline, but it's not always 100% accurate. Last week, the maintenance was 30 minutes shorter than estimated. This week, we had a technical problem that took longer to solve. Thank you for your patience as we look to move forward with the New Empires update release.

Thank you for your hard Work! ❤️ 

I am trying to be constructive not toxic. I work for a large IT firm where we often have maintenances. When we schedule these we have to meet the schedule or possibly face financial penalties with the customer. This always results in us basically doubling the time we require to complete the work to make sure if something goes wrong we have time to figure it out and resolve. If it is very critical for the customer to know exact timings (it is not for BNS) we will provide estimates but contractually we are bound to the window we provided and not the estimate. The customer is always happy when we are able to return to service faster than promised.

If extended maintenance was the exception and not the norm this thread probably wouldn't exist. With B&S the Vast majority are extended. With this being the case I think it would be better for the BNS team to over advertise how long it will take to upgrade. People will be much less upset to learn they can play the game again earlier than promised than to be told that it will be extended.

Either way its not that important. I do know for reference though that with the group I play with it has become a meme. For example yesterday we were joking about how long do you really think it would take because we already knew it would be extended. Personally I do not feel this reflects well on the B&S team though in reality it likely impacts them little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Storm said:

Let me take a moment to tell you a little bit more about what happened: our team of engineers and producers have to run programs during the maintenance to the Blade & Soul architecture. Sometimes, some programs break or have to be adapted on the fly by people trying their best to make these complicated systems work. Some of these things take hours to complete, so we provide an estimate of how long the servers have to be offline, but it's not always 100% accurate. Last week, the maintenance was 30 minutes shorter than estimated. This week, we had a technical problem that took longer to solve. Thank you for your patience as we look to move forward with the New Empires update release.

An apology from the staff for the delay is enough, but that is what bothers the most is the lack of understanding on their part, but it is understandable why so much delay, but a simple apology on their part helps a lot.

Edited by chilegamerz

❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ happens during upgrades, I understand it's to be expected... but on the other hand, the original estimate should be a bit less concrete, so people won't become as frustrated if they have high anticipation and moved their schedule to play the update at time it is said to drop.