Tomb of Exiles - RNG HELL

Evergrace

In Tomb of the Exiles, for the people who are unaware, there is a secret room you can access that can contain 1 of 3 "bosses". Either a bunch of Spiderlings, two Pot Dogs, or a Spider Matriarch. The Matriarch has about a 1 in 20 chances of spawning, so if you see her, go buy a lottery scratcher. The Matriarch also drops a neat cosmetic item called Spider Fangs, which has about a 2% drop chance. If you see this item drop, go buy a lottery ticket, but try to do it indoors cause you'll probably be struck by lightning on your way outside... twice. 

This is an absolutely ridiculous RNG grind, for something that is cosmetic only, and needs to be tweaked. Give the Matriarch a 1 in 3 chances of spawning, AND/OR, give the Spider Fang drop rate a CONSIDERABLE buff, at least 25% if not more. There is absolutely 0 reason to have this drop rate be this insane, ZERO. In CN and KR at least the bosses would drop gems. Now they don't drop a thing. 

Come on NCSoft... this is just sadistic at this point.

/rant

8 hours ago, Evergrace said:

In Tomb of the Exiles, for the people who are unaware, there is a secret room you can access that can contain 1 of 3 "bosses". Either a bunch of Spiderlings, two Pot Dogs, or a Spider Matriarch. The Matriarch has about a 1 in 20 chances of spawning, so if you see her, go buy a lottery scratcher. The Matriarch also drops a neat cosmetic item called Spider Fangs, which has about a 2% drop chance. If you see this item drop, go buy a lottery ticket, but try to do it indoors cause you'll probably be struck by lightning on your way outside... twice. 

This is an absolutely ridiculous RNG grind, for something that is cosmetic only, and needs to be tweaked. Give the Matriarch a 1 in 3 chances of spawning, AND/OR, give the Spider Fang drop rate a CONSIDERABLE buff, at least 25% if not more. There is absolutely 0 reason to have this drop rate be this insane, ZERO. In CN and KR at least the bosses would drop gems. Now they don't drop a thing. 

/rant

Was going for this cosmetic myself :/ 5 days of farming around 160 ish runs so far no drop T_T

this is how every game should be. While yes its rng but it makes you work hard for it and it feels rewarding afterwards. Personally i farmed 118 times ruins to get my recipe and got it man i felt so rewarded.

Also that recipe has much lower dropchance than your cosmetic stuff. First its 7th extra loot from boss and first game decides what ever player gets recipe or gem pouch after that it decides which recipe player gets so its out of 4 or 5 recipes or something like that. So yeah when you get you want after working so hard you can be proud to be owner of that item and it feels much better than instantly getting everything like in wow

58 minutes ago, Ninfu said:

this is how every game should be. While yes its rng but it makes you work hard for it and it feels rewarding afterwards. Personally i farmed 118 times ruins to get my recipe and got it man i felt so rewarded.

Also that recipe has much lower dropchance than your cosmetic stuff. First its 7th extra loot from boss and first game decides what ever player gets recipe or gem pouch after that it decides which recipe player gets so its out of 4 or 5 recipes or something like that. So yeah when you get you want after working so hard you can be proud to be owner of that item and it feels much better than instantly getting everything like in wow

While normally I would agree with you on this, the low drop rate isn't my main qualm for this item, it's the "Dual RNG" of the item. You always have at least a CHANCE at the recipe, because the boss will ALWAYS be at the end of the dungeon. The Spider Fangs are dual conditional probability, there's a CHANCE that the Spider Matriarch will be in the room and a CHANCE that she will drop the item. I'm a-okay with a 2% drop rate if she was ALWAYS in the room, OR a low probability of her being in the room with a good chance she'll drop the item (not guaranteed, mind you). After farming this item for probably well over 40 days in game time (over CN version, NACBT, and NALive) and never seeing the drop, if it ONLY took 118 runs for this thing I would love it. Over the course of 80 runs the Matriarch was in the room 6 times, so we can extrapolate a little and figure that in 120 runs, I would maybe see her 10 times, being generous. While you had 120 chances at your loot over those runs, I've had 10, that is what I would like to change, at least give me a chance.

1 hour ago, Evergrace said:

While normally I would agree with you on this, the low drop rate isn't my main qualm for this item, it's the "Dual RNG" of the item. You always have at least a CHANCE at the recipe, because the boss will ALWAYS be at the end of the dungeon. The Spider Fangs are dual conditional probability, there's a CHANCE that the Spider Matriarch will be in the room and a CHANCE that she will drop the item. I'm a-okay with a 2% drop rate if she was ALWAYS in the room, OR a low probability of her being in the room with a good chance she'll drop the item (not guaranteed, mind you). After farming this item for probably well over 40 days in game time (over CN version, NACBT, and NALive) and never seeing the drop, if it ONLY took 118 runs for this thing I would love it. Over the course of 80 runs the Matriarch was in the room 6 times, so we can extrapolate a little and figure that in 120 runs, I would maybe see her 10 times, being generous. While you had 120 chances at your loot over those runs, I've had 10, that is what I would like to change, at least give me a chance.

Actually recipe has triple rng. Like i already explained its 7th extra loot that needs to get rolled then game decides what ever its gem pouch or recipe then it decides what recipe player gets. Its LOT smaller chance of getting recipe than getting rng for boss being there and having low drop chance.

On 25.1.2016 at 1:28 AM, Evergrace said:

/rantss

Where is this room?

I mean that's better than the Rivendare mount in WoW which has a 0.001% drop chance iirc and takes much longer to get to the boss than that spider.

Rare cosmetic drops have been a thing in MMOs forever. No sense complaining about it. I'm sure you can do without some horns if you don't want to grind for it.

On 25.01.2016 г. at 2:28 AM, Evergrace said:

/rant

tumblr_m5vw841vjn1rng6ano1_500.gif

Justifying awful gameplay design by saying that it's "for really lucky people" is just a good way to lose players to the RNG madness when they realize the thing they want to get is outside of their reach NOT because they lack the skills, the commitment or the knowledge, but because a badly tuned Random Number Generator is in the way.

33 minutes ago, Spiderbot said:

Justifying awful gameplay design by saying that it's "for really lucky people" is just a good way to lose players to the RNG madness when they realize the thing they want to get is outside of their reach NOT because they lack the skills, the commitment or the knowledge, but because a badly tuned Random Number Generator is in the way.

No you just lack the commitment.

4 hours ago, Kirvin said:

No you just lack the commitment.

"Commitment"? Let me tell you something, I farm this around 50-75 times A DAY, even more on the weekends. I've done this every day since Head Start save for 1 when I was getting to 45, every Beta period, and even played the CN version for months doing the same thing. I've seen the spider boss around 1,000 times across all instances, and likely ran that dungeon close to 10,000 times. Guess how many times it's dropped? Zero, big ol' goose egg, nada, zip, zilch. This is *cricket*ing ridiculous RNG, for something completely inconsequential. 

On 25.01.2016 at 1:28 AM, Evergrace said:

/rant

You must be new to korean games lol. Its completly normal. Good thing i played aion for couple of years so i am prepared haha

I agree with how it's good to get something after working hard for it, except what I call working hard is not waiting for a stroke of luck doing the same thing over and over until you could do it with your eyes closed and a broken keyboard, it would make much more sense to make the boss a challanging one to kill, or having to gather different stuff to be able to get what you want, so that the road may be long, but would actually give you a sense of progress, the feeling that you're doing something and, maybe slowly, but you're actually getting towards your goal. Rng like this can actually ruin a game to me and so far I don't quit just cause the stuff I miss is not actually essentials.

If everyone had everything in the game, that would be pretty bland/stupid.

There have to be rare items, so you have SOME stuff that is worth anything. And if those rare items are cosmetics, that's perfect.

Also, 'dual rng' does not exist.

You can easily combine it into a single probability by multiplying. Just imagine it is all set once the dungeon spawns, if that makes you feel better...

4 hours ago, HMint said:

Also, 'dual rng' does not exist.

You can easily combine it into a single probability by multiplying. Just imagine it is all set once the dungeon spawns, if that makes you feel better...

You are correct, "Dual RNG" is not a real thing, however Multiple Conditional Probability is, and I simply dumbed it down to "Dual RNG"

Since there are two instances of probability that are linked to one another.

Condition A has to be met before Condition B can be considered, instance X only occurs when Condition A and B are met.

if you do ToE once or 100 times doesn't make you better in the least.    Just play and have fun farming that shit.  Trust me once you get the shit you farming for, you will go for something else.. that shit doesn't end when you reach some make believe goal.

8 hours ago, Evergrace said:

"Commitment"? Let me tell you something, I farm this around 50-75 times A DAY, even more on the weekends. I've done this every day since Head Start save for 1 when I was getting to 45, every Beta period, and even played the CN version for months doing the same thing. I've seen the spider boss around 1,000 times across all instances, and likely ran that dungeon close to 10,000 times. Guess how many times it's dropped? Zero, big ol' goose egg, nada, zip, zilch. This is *cricket*ing ridiculous RNG, for something completely inconsequential. 

Well if you keep that up you'll get it eventually. If you stop you lacked the commitment.

bout to farm that eternal flames.  as far as getting to 45 it was easy.  get a blue key and box if it is so hard.  shit goes easy with no rng.   I help lots and I don't give a shit.  run it and shut up.  otherwise you are just a whiner.   would you whine that way if you are eating your mother? even if hungry???

• 3 weeks later...
On 2.2.2016 at 1:37 AM, phinders said:

bout to farm that eternal flames.  as far as getting to 45 it was easy.  get a blue key and box if it is so hard.  shit goes easy with no rng.   I help lots and I don't give a shit.  run it and shut up.  otherwise you are just a whiner.   would you whine that way if you are eating your mother? even if hungry???

Archived