Class Selection Assistance Required

hrwd

Thank you in advance.

So, I need your expert help on which 2 classes should I choose. Due to f2p limitations, as I'm sure you're aware. I've also leveled all classes except Gunner to 20, so I've quite some experience in how they play, but not expertly so. I even mapped their dps against Pokey lol. Here are the requirements for the class(es):

1. Lively, but not necessarily animation cancel(I've next to no idea how to do this and I get confused)

2. I've between 75 and 125 ms latency as shown in game. Honestly, I should have like 40, but let's leave that bucket well alone for now, eh? So, do keep that in mind.

3. Preferably Melee

4. Better fit for the story and / or Race, better for me.

5. Reactive gameplay is a definite plus.

6. Tanky + CC is always welcome as well. I also like the feel of speed, as per point 1.

(what happened to Yun specific Class? Jin have Assassin, Gon Destroyer and Lyn TWO - Dancer and Summoner)

Before I share my impressions, I'd like to hear several advice.

first of all, 75-125 ms is perfectly fine, you wont get anything better. secondly, animation canceling is really just something that happens if you press your buttons in a specific way, in bns most classes have animation cancels but it's all in a rythm, if for example you're playing earth summoner if you keep pressing lmbrmblmbrmb as quick as possible the lmb animation will be slightly canceled, you may have noticed, it's nothing complicated, every class has their own rythm so to speak. the only class that does alot of animation cancels that take longer to learn would be kfm and perhaps shadow warlock.

you say you want a fast class, with reactive gameplay and preferably melee, truth is all melee classes are constantly reacting to aoe attacks cast by bosses etc. most bosses have some melee range 360 degree spins or whatever. if you want even more reactive gameplay I suppose you could tank the boss, that way you'd have to react to all animations preformed by the boss.

I recommend:

bm (pretty good defence, tank class, melee, fairly agile with many hits per second)

fire kfm (excellent defence, tank class, melee, not that agile, a fair amount of hits per second)

wind kfm (fire kfm but more ani canceling and a harder dps rythm to follow)

Sin (highly agile, forced to react alot due a weak defencive arsenal, alot of cc, 3 viable builds across both elements (usually it's just 2 if even that))

do keep in mind that if you wish to tank, any class can spec aggro and tank, but bm and kfm are known as the best tanks, however I enjoy tanking on Sin and bd aswell.

Honestly, the differance between melee classes isn't that high, it mainly lies in the rythm of your dps rotation, what skills you have that can benefit a party and how easy it is to uphold the dps rythm.

I tried not to be bias and tell you to play sin right away because that's my main class :) 

You want a reactive class, fast attack speed, lots of cc, melee. That leaves you no options but lightning sin. Fast as hell with animation cancellation, probably the fastest in melee at end game. The only class that has 3 different double cc and one of them has very short CD.

So, to answer some of your easier questions:

1) Your ping's fine... I have roughly the same and I play a couple of classes that use animation cancelling.

2) Anicancel takes a little bit to get used to, but once you have the rhythm down, it's actually pretty easy and will come second nature.

3) The two classes in the game (currently) that are "tanks" are Kung Fu Masters and Blade Masters. A new class (Warrior) will come out eventually that is also supposed to be a tank.

With that said, another class people didn't mention yet that might be up your alley is Blade Dancer. Although they aren't tanks, they are very quick, reactive characters. They don't have a ton for blocking, but their whole game is about evasion and using CCs to stun or knock their enemies down.

As for Soul Fighter, they aren't bad either. You'll benefit from getting their Hongmoon Skill for RMB right away to help with the focus burn, but when you do, it helps a lot. They are a bit of a hybrid class, however, as they have a melee stance and a ranged stance.

Finally, one additional point... level 20 is not all that comprehensive for a class... they get new skills all the way up to lv 45 (lv 55 with their "ultimate" skill).

Really, my recommendation is to just pick a class you like.

23 minutes ago, SilverFoxR said:

So, to answer some of your easier questions:

1) Your ping's fine... I have roughly the same and I play a couple of classes that use animation cancelling.

2) Anicancel takes a little bit to get used to, but once you have the rhythm down, it's actually pretty easy and will come second nature.

3) The two classes in the game (currently) that are "tanks" are Kung Fu Masters and Blade Masters. A new class (Warrior) will come out eventually that is also supposed to be a tank.

With that said, another class people didn't mention yet that might be up your alley is Blade Dancer. Although they aren't tanks, they are very quick, reactive characters. They don't have a ton for blocking, but their whole game is about evasion and using CCs to stun or knock their enemies down.

As for Soul Fighter, they aren't bad either. You'll benefit from getting their Hongmoon Skill for RMB right away to help with the focus burn, but when you do, it helps a lot. They are a bit of a hybrid class, however, as they have a melee stance and a ranged stance.

Finally, one additional point... level 20 is not all that comprehensive for a class... they get new skills all the way up to lv 45 (lv 55 with their "ultimate" skill).

Really, my recommendation is to just pick a class you like.

Yeah, like level 22 skill for SF. I missed it and it skewed my Earth numbers. I know. And then there are classes like Destroyer or Warlock that get progressively better with gear and / or levels.

Which I like...there are two parts to this: cool / aesthetics factor and gameplay factor. I guess I can write that now, but I'll wait a bit more.

Ok, then I'll write my impressions. Class by class:

* Assassin - Assassin is very fun to play. You just zap around like your brain's melting and it's so delicious outside of Dungeons. In Dungeons it's good if someone can hold attention and you can stack your poisons(while at it - how's it exactly that Ltng Pierce - a LIGHTNING infused strike stacks a POISON? I could get behind a Bleed…), but otherwise it's rather underwhelming. It has almost everything I ask for, but I'd personally change it so Shadow relies more on Stealth Stance and Ltng on Decoy Stance. But that's just me. Both aesthetically and gameplay wise it's really performing something extra. Though there are better looking / conceived classes.

* Blade Master - This is less fun to play than an Assassin, true, but I also feel much more in control when playing a Blade Master. It's also quite acceptable and it's one of the most classical classes in the game. Come on, who doesn't love Swords and Samurai? I'm a big fan of Blade Master though - a very reliable and even fun class.

* Blade Dancer - It is good, I guess. While the Ltng, from what I saw, is more nuanced and perhaps even fun, this class just doesn't have reliability or fun I'm looking for. And I don't have anything against Lyn either. The class by itself underperforms in my opinion and that's just due to how almost one trick it is. You simply rush and spam, that's all there's to it. No nuance of BM, no style of Sin, just...meh

* Destroyer - A troubled class and one of the classes with definitely the wrong starting Element. Who in their right mind thinks that Earth is better introduction to Destroyer than Shadow? Especially when you compare Cleave and Eradicate or Crash and Execute. It's just...still, it could have potential. And it is one of the classes that call to me for no good reason. It's just a big dude with an Axe, but there's something about it...damned be me if I know what. I'll probably end up having one of these, but I don't think in my first two.

* Force Master - it actually isn't half bad and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up having a Yun FM eventually. But it's so vanilla, it'll have to try hard to be more vanilla. A good reserve choice. 

* Gunslinger - didn't try, the class simply doesn't call to me.

* Kung Fu Master - Wind sucks something special, but that's more due to how extra level / gear hungry Wind really is. Fire is...oh playing Fire KFM is something else! It's...almost...transcendent. You chain attacks, you launch enemies in air, you block, counter attack, have 3(or whatever) charges, it's… O.O . Though concept wise it isn't anything special to me(just Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan), though 2x Fist is very nice, it also fits the main story probably the best. Regardless, this Class is something else...now if only Wind was more useful than a waste of time and space. Really, at least before you had to crit for Fire F to proc(and that was at least SOME reason to go Wind)... now it might as well not exist prior to raids lol.

* Soul Fighter - And right on the heels of one super sexy Class, another arrives. SF, while not as technical(imo - apart from stance changing) as KFM, also has its own benefits. It's much more cool than KFM, though you do lose one Fist / Cestus for that. Its gameplay is second only to Assassin(imo) and actually has two fully working Elements. Both which I actually like(Earth + Water / Frost), though I don't understand why KFM isn't Earth Fire and SF Wind Frost. They'd still be opposites and it'd actually make much more sense. I'm not certain whether anything on "Wind" KFM references Wind / Air(and Kung Fu is, at least imo, much more Earth related ; it has one -> Cyclone Kick), while "Earth" SF has the following skills: Cobalt Punch(Cobalt...could be wind oriented), WHIRLWIND(yeah, so not Wind and so much Earth…), HOWLING Blast(yeah, Earth "howls" and not Wind, right) and WINDSTORM(ok, this is too much now). Regardless, it's a wicked fun class to play in both Elements that is supposedly rather rare and should have almost everything I look for.

* Summoner - the gameplay of the class itself is just fine and effective, it's just that the class is both boring and too cutesy / meme-y for me.  Plus I don't want to micro both me and the furball. Pass.

* Warlock - yet another gear hungry class, but now it's almost in both elements. What I'll say about is that the concept is potentially the coolest of them all, but the actual gameplay fails. And the dps, from what I witnessed, is "oh really" category. Shadow's much better, for what it's worth, but Frost is...very, too much even, gear / level reliant and even then, just a huge burst(potentially the biggest), but with a flatline between. Just...a very cool concept, nothing more. I'll have to pass it. Even though I do like Shadow gameplay.

///

The pairings are(as it currently stands):

SF vs KFM

Sin vs BM

Well... ok ^^

uhm yeah these are all level 20 impressions, you can see that ^^ But in general about the class they are fine I guess. As for helping another player, this stuff is really subjective, so it will hardly help anyone ^^ From what you write, choose between sin/bm and sf. These seem to be your style ;) 

Although I have to throw in, the story is really nothing like anything after it. You have a hard time doing combos as everything just drops dead imediatly.

If you still can't decide, I would recommend to create all the classes you have it narrowed down to, but attempt to make a level 50 character. If you do so, you get into F12 (a skill trainig basically) and you can try out the class there a bit but with all skills unlocked (if you wanna try longer combos and not just what they ask you to, the stun/knockdown ones are always super handy as you hardly use that in your rotation ;) ). Once you are done, just back to character selection and delete it. No need for a level 50 voucher, it only asks for it of you wanna exit the trainig area.

I would also add some things from the view of after the story ;) Although I haven't played all classes and therefore can't say stuff for everyone...

• Destroyer also needs gear to perform, just a warning ;)
  • For KFM, fire is much easier. Also I am not sure you actually can do the combo at level 20 for wind, does he have all the skills already? If you want to play a kfm, please be aware that fire lacks quite some damage compared to wind (at endgame, I think I heard about 250-300k damage per second, so there is that ;) ), which is why most kfm are wind (pve, no idea for pvp). 
  • in story range sf is much easier, while it is never used for a longer time after the story.
  • for wl.. wl does a certain skill combo (on ice), which is just not available at that level. While it is true, that shadow is better with low gear (and story is like zero gear), it does make more damage at that point, but later it is more a pvp build from what I last heard (but no wl man here). But then again, you don't like the class ^^

Also please remember, that the badges you get rather soon after finishing the story, help and/or change some play styles very much, which is just one example. Just go with what is fun to you, and you will have the motivation to stick with it. 

4 hours ago, Annysan said:

Well... ok ^^

uhm yeah these are all level 20 impressions, you can see that ^^ But in general about the class they are fine I guess. As for helping another player, this stuff is really subjective, so it will hardly help anyone ^^ From what you write, choose between sin/bm and sf. These seem to be your style ;) 

Although I have to throw in, the story is really nothing like anything after it. You have a hard time doing combos as everything just drops dead imediatly.

If you still can't decide, I would recommend to create all the classes you have it narrowed down to, but attempt to make a level 50 character. If you do so, you get into F12 (a skill trainig basically) and you can try out the class there a bit but with all skills unlocked (if you wanna try longer combos and not just what they ask you to, the stun/knockdown ones are always super handy as you hardly use that in your rotation ;) ). Once you are done, just back to character selection and delete it. No need for a level 50 voucher, it only asks for it of you wanna exit the trainig area.

I would also add some things from the view of after the story ;) Although I haven't played all classes and therefore can't say stuff for everyone...

• Destroyer also needs gear to perform, just a warning ;)
  • For KFM, fire is much easier. Also I am not sure you actually can do the combo at level 20 for wind, does he have all the skills already? If you want to play a kfm, please be aware that fire lacks quite some damage compared to wind (at endgame, I think I heard about 250-300k damage per second, so there is that ;) ), which is why most kfm are wind (pve, no idea for pvp). 
  • in story range sf is much easier, while it is never used for a longer time after the story.
  • for wl.. wl does a certain skill combo (on ice), which is just not available at that level. While it is true, that shadow is better with low gear (and story is like zero gear), it does make more damage at that point, but later it is more a pvp build from what I last heard (but no wl man here). But then again, you don't like the class ^^

Also please remember, that the badges you get rather soon after finishing the story, help and/or change some play styles very much, which is just one example. Just go with what is fun to you, and you will have the motivation to stick with it. 

Thank you. Why isn't SF used much later?

I'll see about 50, good advice.

This is my thought currently:

KFM + Sin

SF + BM

Given the speed of SF, I don't see any reason to have both it and the Assassin, the same for in control of KFM / BM. I also decided that BM is inverse to Assassin for me. Where Assassin is more gameplay, less style, BM is more style, less gameplay.

I believe that I can safely say that Gon Fire KFM has been chosen. Something about that combo makes tons of sense and, besides, I really like Fire KFM.

Now for the other part. I guess it'll be Jin Assassin, given that only Jin can be Assassins and Yun FM or BM. And Lyn Warlock.

Sorry seems I have been unclear, I meant, after the story, sf is strictly a melee class, and even in ranged stance you stay melee as you are only there shortly, as far as I have heard.

well then congrats to kfm, I hope you like it :) Also, additional character spots do not cost the world and can be obtained with gold (indirectly), so no need to be super worried ;)

28 minutes ago, Annysan said:

Sorry seems I have been unclear, I meant, after the story, sf is strictly a melee class, and even in ranged stance you stay melee as you are only there shortly, as far as I have heard.

well then congrats to kfm, I hope you like it :) Also, additional character spots do not cost the world and can be obtained with gold (indirectly), so no need to be super worried ;)

I know I will. Fire KFM is godlike. So smooth and pure pleasure to play! And nonsense spam.

Now I'll have to create a proper looking male Gon. I'll be aiming for smaller so as to be Cricket / Grasshopper due to relative size to other Gon.  The hair color + beard annoys me. Ideally I'd want Orange(both), but if I take the 5mm haircut(you know the two I'm speaking about), it's EXCEEDINGLY DIFFICULT to properly pair off. If not going black or brown that is. Hm. I guess I'll take Earthly colors.

And then the names. Ah yes, the names. :D

While I've already made up my mind and even created the looks + names for the (primary) characters, should I wait to see what the 25th patch brings? Maybe a change or something will make me rethink(highly unlikely, but you never know).

24 minutes ago, hrwd said:

While I've already made up my mind and even created the looks + names for the (primary) characters, should I wait to see what the 25th patch brings? Maybe a change or something will make me rethink(highly unlikely, but you never know).

Nope, I would even advise you to quickly work towards leveling up your main character all the way through the story before the new update hits. The reason why is so that you will be able to work towards getting the upgraded pet aura from the event and get some other needed items from the leftover event currency.

27 minutes ago, ClassicMan said:

Nope, I would even advise you to quickly work towards leveling up your main character all the way through the story before the new update hits. The reason why is so that you will be able to work towards getting the upgraded pet aura from the event and get some other needed items from the leftover event currency.

Nah. I want to take it slow for the first few times. I'll have enough time to rush like a headless chicken and farm like a proper farmboy.

That reminds me, perhaps I should start with my Lyn Shadow Warlock. Jin Assassin would simply plow through like some Turbo Diesel combine! :D

vor 14 Stunden schrieb hrwd:

Why isn't SF used much later?

As SF myself, im not sure actually. SFs and destroyers are the most unpopular classes in the game. Possibly because both were kinda really mediocre for the longest time....

But SF is now one of the top dps classes and while it got poor party support, the party support it got is indispensible for a certain raid and useful to have in all other raids too in case something goes wrong... also SF is fun as hell to play.

11 hours ago, Granger said:

As SF myself, im not sure actually. SFs and destroyers are the most unpopular classes in the game. Possibly because both were kinda really mediocre for the longest time....

But SF is now one of the top dps classes and while it got poor party support, the party support it got is indispensible for a certain raid and useful to have in all other raids too in case something goes wrong... also SF is fun as hell to play.

Not to mention them having one of the highest bursts in the game with the Kingfist -> Z -> Kingfist combo. Perhaps people see them as a lesser version of KFM and FM? Rather than a curious combination of both.

Otherwise, choosing between BM and Sin is more difficult than I thought. That's because Yun's most likely gonna be FM...let's face it, it's their class :D . Maybe BM could fit a Yun too, but...it could. I like BM much more aesthetically, but Assassin is better in gameplay(imo).

Wow, that was humiliating. BM outright crushed the Assassin into the ground. BM's much better imo.

Now, if only there was a nice, elegant, realistic sword(I'm rather satisfied with the starting one, but you can't use it as a skin for some arcane reasons - I also quite like starting KFM fists). Wouldn't say no if someone had a gallery of sorts of weapons.

Unfortunatively as far realistic& practical swords (and gaunlets) goes... this game sucks at that. For swords Be-Ido would be the normalest looking one, if you can get over the fact that it got 2 blades for some goddamned reason.

10 hours ago, Granger said:

Unfortunatively as far realistic& practical swords (and gaunlets) goes... this game sucks at that. For swords Be-Ido would be the normalest looking one, if you can get over the fact that it got 2 blades for some goddamned reason.

Shame to hear. If only I could transmog the starting weapon, I'd have a Sword for life. It's nice enough, let's face it. The same for KFM Gauntlets, really. KFM starting Gauntlets + Masked Hongmoon = <3 .

Otherwise, there'll be some I'll like, I'm sure of that. If not, perhaps the store has something.

Archived