I must be the only one: Shattered Masts

LoliDolly

I swear there has to be a trick to it. Every time on my summoner when i come up to that long jump and glide before first two bosses, i seem to not be able to get the altitude and barely miss it. Some times i get it sometimes i dont and on really bad days i miss it more than once. On my force master before i altered her appearance the jump came fairly easy maybe because i made the lyn taller i dont know but my summoner is about as short as they get. Granted i did re do my FM looks made her slightly shorter but still taller than my summoner and since, she has missed the jump more than before but still not nearly as bad as my summoner. Sometimes i can veer to the left and take that ramp and run up it but ever since the latest expansion for some reason my summoner and FM wont sprint up it. You can hear it as if they are sprinting and the green bar is going down but they arent sprinting at all just slowly drifting downwards to their deaths.

I m just wondering if there is a trick to guarantee you make the jump each time? I never witness anyone else missing it just people making snarky arse comments cause i missed it. I know most everyone here will say its skill and well yeah i know this is part of it, my biggest weakness in any game is making jumps but at least i can admit this. This dungeon comes easy for me and knowing the mechanics is easy since i do it on multiple characters my only problem is that long jump and mainly on my shorty summoner.

First question: How late are you jumping off the first ledge? Are you waiting to jump right as you get to the end of the ledge or are you jumping some steps before?

Second question: How fast are you pressing your space bar to begin gliding? Are you pressing it as soon as you're airborne or are you pressing it a few seconds after you become airborne?

I've never had a problem making the jump but I have had some times where my character would rubber-band due to jumping right as I got the edge of the ledge so that would in turn make my character jump a short distance and fall a bit faster. Another problem that I sometimes have is that my character would randomly stop gliding as if I ran into a invisible wall so I lost my airborne time and would sometimes fail to make the jump + glide.

A lot of it is timing when you jump off that first ledge. Try and jump as close to the edge as possible and wait a second until you reach the height of the jump before pressing the spacebar to glide. One you glide instantly go into the fast flight. 

I fought the fast glide is what saves my ass, if I just used the normal glide I would usually just catch the edge and glitch onto the platform, but using the fast glide I never have an issue making it. 

@DirectorTseng 

Jumping as close to the edge as possible isn't really a good idea since it can trigger the teleport glitch and you end up falling off the edge instead of jumping.

@LoliDolly

Are you using up all of your stamina before the jump and are you gliding at the peak of your jump? If you are using up your stamina try to save some for air dashing, you should be able to make the glide. Also are you holding the space bar until you're at the peak of your jump?

hmmm, i always thought that using fast glide causes some loss of altitude faster than if i dont use it. Perhaps that is just me being paranoid. Thank you all for responding in a way that can help me.

@Zuzu

Im waiting till i get to the ledge to make the jump and usually almost immediately pressing to glide. 

@Quantum

I usually have half a bar of stamina when i make the jump and O.o peak of my jump? i really never noticed hmmm something to pay attention to and no i usually press to jump then press again to glide immediately i never thought of holding it down for longer period when jumping. I honestly didnt know that would make a difference.

32 minutes ago, LoliDolly said:

hmmm, i always thought that using fast glide causes some loss of altitude faster than if i dont use it. Perhaps that is just me being paranoid. Thank you all for responding in a way that can help me.

@Zuzu

Im waiting till i get to the ledge to make the jump and usually almost immediately pressing to glide. 

@Quantum

I usually have half a bar of stamina when i make the jump and O.o peak of my jump? i really never noticed hmmm something to pay attention to and no i usually press to jump then press again to glide immediately i never thought of holding it down for longer period when jumping. I honestly didnt know that would make a difference.

IMO I never noticed that "fast glide" made any difference in elevation in comparison to regular glide.

However in regards to hangtime, its a principle of physics and animation.
09_timing-and-spacing-richard-williams.p
Your character will reach a height at the top of the curve where it starts slowing down, before beginning the descent. Try practicing a few run and jumps. See if you can gauge the height of the jump right before you start descend, and hit the spacebar at the peak.

32 minutes ago, Khaen said:

IMO I never noticed that "fast glide" made any difference in elevation in comparison to regular glide.

However in regards to hangtime, its a principle of physics and animation.
09_timing-and-spacing-richard-williams.p
Your character will reach a height at the top of the curve where it starts slowing down, before beginning the descent. Try practicing a few run and jumps. See if you can gauge the height of the jump right before you start descend, and hit the spacebar at the peak.

at the time you posted this i was in shattered practicing the jump and glide. It seems im making the jump if i jump before the edge release for a sec or two then press again for glide. I purposely did it like i usually do to see the difference and sure enough almost always jumping at the edge and immediately gliding after jumping my altitude was not high enough to make it. So every ones help here has been great it has allowed me to see what i was doing wrong and being able to implement everyones advice that seemed to work for me. Also im fairly certain it wasnt helping matters that i was already worried before i ever try the jump in the party. That expectation of failing and panicking before the jump probably fed into my missing the jump. Thank you all for your input

10 hours ago, LoliDolly said:

at the time you posted this i was in shattered practicing the jump and glide. It seems im making the jump if i jump before the edge release for a sec or two then press again for glide. I purposely did it like i usually do to see the difference and sure enough almost always jumping at the edge and immediately gliding after jumping my altitude was not high enough to make it. So every ones help here has been great it has allowed me to see what i was doing wrong and being able to implement everyones advice that seemed to work for me. Also im fairly certain it wasnt helping matters that i was already worried before i ever try the jump in the party. That expectation of failing and panicking before the jump probably fed into my missing the jump. Thank you all for your input

Just a question, how did you managed to Jump on 3 rocks in Cinderland, when they were teaching you how to jump/glide. if you always Jumped and instantly glided :P?, but either way, on First Jump, I always fall down little below my landing spot, just to troll people who are flying with me, cuz they always think it's RIP :D, but you can Wall walk back up. ^^

36 minutes ago, SayhaSeer said:

Just a question, how did you managed to Jump on 3 rocks in Cinderland, when they were teaching you how to jump/glide. if you always Jumped and instantly glided :P?, but either way, on First Jump, I always fall down little below my landing spot, just to troll people who are flying with me, cuz they always think it's RIP :D, but you can Wall walk back up. ^^

I have no idea what quest in Cinderland you are speaking of unless i missed it. However that being said it has only ever been this jump in shattered Masts that has haunted me. On the other hand i ran it today with no problems using the advice given to me. Still though im gonna ocd on what quest in the Cinderlands teaches us how to jump and glide

The only time I ever missed that jump was because of a nasty lag moment, mid-flight, but what a lot of people say here should help you. Also, always aim for the edge of land or platform that's nearest to you, such as a corner. Also, before the first jump, you should arrive there with 100% stamina, and when you glide, ONLY burn about the first half of your stamina to get to the platform. This saves the other half for the next jump and glide to the end of that whole ordeal. Those two things have helped me the most, running that dungeon, so far. The thing that normally kills people is jumping too early, or trying to jump too late. Running out of juice is always bad too. Hehe

Archived