Is animation cancelling necessary?

Ahriven

Tried to do animation canceling (been using the tanky pigs at Hogshead as training dummies) but have pretty much given up at this point since I'm playing from Asia with over 200+ ms and I've already gotten yelled at several times for it as well. Is animation cancelling really mandatory or is there some way that I can compensate for the lack of DPS that I am expected to dish out?

It is useful to max out your class's DPS potential. However, I do not think it is a must and other people should not "yell at" you because you have no obligation to play the game their way.

Still, if it bothers you, there are other class to try out that may not be reliant on ani-cancle. Not saying that they do not have ani-cancle, you just do not need it to to deal serious damage. Summoner would be a good example. Warlock, from I heard, have no ani-cancle but you probably have to wait a while for that.

Destroyer is one of the most animation cancel reliant classes to do a lot of damage, because most of his dps comes from his LMB/RMB combo.

In PvP this is not that big of a problem but in PvE it can certainly become problematic for your DPS

It is pretty much a requirement at this juncture, for better or worse (mostly worse). Eradicate at this time is not particularly useful, nor will it be after Galeforce is added. The lion's share of your PvP damage will come from Judgement-Cleave animation cancel. PvE is actually less gimped in certain situations because of how much damage you can deal with Wrath instead, silly though that may sound. Still, nobody wants to have a substandard DPS around. I suppose the one exception is as a PvE AoE shadow build, but that's pretty specific.

On 2/6/2016 at 2:50 AM, Ahriven said:

Tried to do animation canceling (been using the tanky pigs at Hogshead as training dummies) but have pretty much given up at this point since I'm playing from Asia with over 200+ ms and I've already gotten yelled at several times for it as well. Is animation cancelling really mandatory or is there some way that I can compensate for the lack of DPS that I am expected to dish out?

Is breathing necessary? lol just messin, unfortunately it is almost mandatory.I do agree that others shouldn't be jumping your case too much about it, we Destroyers will easily triple (or more) our dps, just by using animation cancel. A Destroyer that doesn't use animation cancel is almost equivalent to a wet noodle that's being thrown around xP. Your best bet as far as trying to get it down is make your alternate key-bindings on your keyboard. That way you can use some kind of combo such as R key + T key in rapid succession. Keyboards tend to have less latency and missed input entries than mice do.

This game was NOT build around Ani Cancle, its more a glitch or a bug then intended and ppl just use this cause everyone use this. There is NO need in any area/Dungeon to Ani Cancle. If Ani Cancle would be work as intend, everyone could use it, not just ppl with very low pings.

8 hours ago, Latarius said:

This game was NOT build around Ani Cancle, its more a glitch or a bug then intended and ppl just use this cause everyone use this. There is NO need in any area/Dungeon to Ani Cancle. If Ani Cancle would be work as intend, everyone could use it, not just ppl with very low pings.

Beyond false. Mobs in higher floors of mushin tower are even programmed to animation cancel. Destroyers are played in large pvp tournaments sponsored by the devs in korea and guess what, they animation cancel. If this was some bug or glitch those people would be banned for bug exploiting. If you can't cancel or don't wish to cancel that's fine but don't use such a poor excuse for not doing so. This game was designed by koreans for koreans with korean ms in mind. That's why it's not lag friendly and plenty of other games have similar things. 

You could try mashing out RMB until you are out of or nearly out of focus and then LMB to get focus back. Since you aren't ani-cancelling the strikes your DPS will most certainly suffer, but one of the big reasons to alternate RMB/LMB in particular is to generate focus between RMB hits making it focus efficient. The LMB really doesn't do much damage so this suggestion might be a way to dish out okay DPS if you're unable to Ani-cancel, but I haven't tested it so I'm not sure.

You can anicancel with high ping - you just have to overload inputs with both lmb/rmb and R/T (or whatever you have the contextual mouse skills bound to), instead of just using one or the other.

As for whether it's necessary, I'd say it's necessary if you want to be competitive in either pve or pvp.

Unfortunately, ani-cancel is quite necessary when it comes to dps. The Fury + (Cleave + Wrath) ani-cancel combo is the highest possible ST dps you can put out. Doing it correctly will almost always draw aggro. I would definitley prioritize trying to get that one down.

Being able to ani-cancel with Judgement instead of Wrath is harder but its still very important as most of the time you won't have fury up.

That being said if you suck really bad at it, you can make up some ground by being really good and CC and grabs (i.e. knowing when the boss is vulnerable to CC and spec out your grab skill correctly to maximize party dps). That way the amount of time you are trying to straight dps with the Judgement+Cleave ani-cancel is limited to those points where you are not CC'ing, grabbing, dodging, or in Fury mode.

It's necessary for pure DPS fights when there is a race against a timer.  It's part of Destroyers burst potential,  Enrage (first column) gives you a crit and burst window of 6 seconds.  This 6s window is where Destroyers shine because ani-cancel (cleave) boosts speed again for super fast damage output.  You don't have to ani-cancle for 1min straight, train for 6s of perfect ani-cancels.  :)   For high ping try pressing both LMB and RMB together, at the same time.  Tap both and go from there.

Archived