[MUSHIN] OWPVP Dead 2 Weeks in.

Cetra

Just now, Cogbyrn said:

I don't play the blame game, I play the facts game.

The fact is that all of the people who perpetuate the imbalance are at fault, and those who are currently on the overmanned faction are perpetuating the balance.  It doesn't matter where they started, and I don't care if it is red or blue who is overmanned.  The overmanned faction is maintaining the issue, and whoever joined that faction while they are overmanned is now in the overmanned faction and maintaining the issue as well.

So you expect established guilds to switch factions after investing gold/faction seals/soulstones into advancing the clan's level because there's currently an imbalance?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Roxefeller said:

So you expect established guilds to switch factions after investing gold/faction seals/soulstones into advancing the clan's level because there's currently an imbalance?

Here comes the excuse train to keep things easy.  There are plenty that aren't established and it's their fault for not switching when it first became a problem.  It also didn't help that you guys kept spreading the word for everyone to re-roll blue.  Either way it's more then likely they'll follow suit with overseas versions and give the undermanned faction the raid buff which will effectively make it so you need several people to kill one red.  Have fun with that.

1 minute ago, Cetra said:

Here comes the excuse train to keep things easy.  There are plenty that aren't established and it's their fault for not switching when it first became a problem.  Either way it's more then likely they'll follow suit with overseas versions and give the undermanned faction the raid buff which will effectively make it so you need several people to kill one red.  Have fun with that.

I played both the CN and TW versions. To what "undermanned raid buff" are you referring?

So you're holding players/clans that actually wanted to go Cerulean in the first place accountable? Fact, many clans chose factions based on the outfits. Many players choose factions based on which side their friends joined.

1 minute ago, Roxefeller said:

I played both the CN and TW versions. To what "undermanned raid buff" are you referring?

So you're holding players/clans that actually wanted to go Cerulean in the first place accountable? Fact, many clans chose factions based on the outfits. Many players choose factions based on which side their friends joined.

12 minutes ago, Roxefeller said:

Honestly, the clan levels only seem useful to increase the total number of members you can have.  I've looked through them out of curiosity, and the discounts you get after an abominable amount of resources are paltry.  I have no sympathy for clan levels.

All you're saying is that people would rather have their blue outfit to PvP in and keep their 5% reinforcement discount with a few extra members than have a fair environment to engage with.  That's fine, but it's still their fault that it's imbalanced, because they refuse to try to balance it.

I would switch to Ceru if it were undermanned on Poh.  I wouldn't even have to think twice.  Alternatively, the large guilds could collaborate and figure out a way to even the populations up with selected migrations that are agreed upon.  The players have the power.  They just don't want to step outside their comfort zone even a little bit to try to make things even.

Just now, Cogbyrn said:

Honestly, the clan levels only seem useful to increase the total number of members you can have.  I've looked through them out of curiosity, and the discounts you get after an abominable amount of resources are paltry.  I have no sympathy for clan levels.

All you're saying is that people would rather have their blue outfit to PvP in and keep their 5% reinforcement discount with a few extra members than have a fair environment to engage with.  That's fine, but it's still their fault that it's imbalanced, because they refuse to try to balance it.

I would switch to Ceru if it were undermanned on Poh.  I wouldn't even have to think twice.  Alternatively, the large guilds could collaborate and figure out a way to even the populations up with selected migrations that are agreed upon.  The players have the power.  They just don't want to step outside their comfort zone even a little bit to try to make things even.

Clan levels have more of an impact later on when clan outfits are implemented. Also, in our current patch.. clan levels allow clans to do clan crafting in the workshop. In the Feb 10th patch, clan crafting will be necessary in order to unlock Hongmoon levels.

1 minute ago, Roxefeller said:

Clan levels have more of an impact later on when clan outfits are implemented. Also, in our current patch.. clan levels allow clans to do clan crafting in the workshop. In the Feb 10th patch, clan crafting will be necessary in order to unlock Hongmoon levels.

And none of that absolves the players of blame for maintaining an imbalance.  You're just excusing it.  Balance just isn't a priority for people.  In fact, it's probably lowest on the priority totem pole.

It doesn't matter how you word it, those who have the power to do something but choose not to posses fault for the perpetuation of a thing.  In this case, it's faction balance.  I don't know why you're trying so hard to excuse it, anyway, like there are going to be huge ramifications for being selfish in-game.  It is what it is.

You expect people to change and cater to your needs? You really expect players to change factions because currently, your faction isn't well represented in owPvP? This is nobody else's fault except for those players on your faction that aren't participating in owPvP. Plain and simple. If your faction's lack of presence in owPvP is causing players of your own faction to switch 1 by 1 so that they don't have to worry about fighting a faction of players that actually participate, so be it. Deal with it. It is not the responsibility of any "overmanned faction" to even out this so called "imbalance". Cerulean faction chat has players that actually call out, "hey there's a group of Crimson on this channel in this zone, let's go kill them." And other Cerulean players respond and show up to kill them. It's not Cerulean's fault that other Crimson players don't want to fight or don't bother to represent the faction in owPvP.

I don't remember saying I expected anyone to do anything.  Feel free to quote me.  In fact, what I *expect* is that people will abuse a system as hard as they can to get as much reward as possible at all times.  That's why so many people go to devs to fix their problems, because people are causing the problem and will not change.

The people who switch from Crimson to Ceru exacerbate the problem.  Everyone who stays on Ceru while they outman Crimson consistently across 10+ channels perpetuates the problem.

Honestly, I don't even care much.  Typically when I do dailies, I skirt around to take care of all the Talus Camp dailies, then I blindly run to fight Waido until no one happens to kill me.  All I do is aim to fight Waido.  While fighting Waido, I'll ignore anyone attacking me and fight Waido.  I might Grip+Push them away and laugh, but I just go back to Waido.  Whenever anyone downs me, I press '1' to try sitting.  Sometimes they swipe me right away, sometimes they wait until the last second and hit me.  Either way, when I respawn, I just run right back to Waido.  After 5-10 minutes if the same people have killed me 5-6 times, I'll switch channels so they don't finish their daily on me and resume.

I don't really have a problem finishing my dailies, and I don't really have a problem with dying.  But when you have one team outmanning another across every channel, there's a balance issue.  When no one attempts to resolve the issue by rebalancing populations, those people perpetuate the balance issue and possess stock in the fault.  That's all.

If you absolutely refuse to accept any responsibility, it's whatever.  I'm just approaching the situation logically, whereas you're making everything personal for no reason.  If you want to know how I feel about the situation, it barely saddens me that people will go out of their way to ruin the experience for their own personal gain, but I've watched it happen so many times in other games that I just shake my head and move on.  There's enough to do in the game that I can still go have fun.  It's just another lost opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Cogbyrn said:

I don't remember saying I expected anyone to do anything.  Feel free to quote me.  In fact, what I *expect* is that people will abuse a system as hard as they can to get as much reward as possible at all times.  That's why so many people go to devs to fix their problems, because people are causing the problem and will not change.

The people who switch from Crimson to Ceru exacerbate the problem.  Everyone who stays on Ceru while they outman Crimson consistently across 10+ channels perpetuates the problem.

Honestly, I don't even care much.  Typically when I do dailies, I skirt around to take care of all the Talus Camp dailies, then I blindly run to fight Waido until no one happens to kill me.  All I do is aim to fight Waido.  While fighting Waido, I'll ignore anyone attacking me and fight Waido.  I might Grip+Push them away and laugh, but I just go back to Waido.  Whenever anyone downs me, I press '1' to try sitting.  Sometimes they swipe me right away, sometimes they wait until the last second and hit me.  Either way, when I respawn, I just run right back to Waido.  After 5-10 minutes if the same people have killed me 5-6 times, I'll switch channels so they don't finish their daily on me and resume.

I don't really have a problem finishing my dailies, and I don't really have a problem with dying.  But when you have one team outmanning another across every channel, there's a balance issue.  When no one attempts to resolve the issue by rebalancing populations, those people perpetuate the balance issue and possess stock in the fault.  That's all.

If you absolutely refuse to accept any responsibility, it's whatever.  I'm just approaching the situation logically, whereas you're making everything personal for no reason.  If you want to know how I feel about the situation, it barely saddens me that people will go out of their way to ruin the experience for their own personal gain, but I've watched it happen so many times in other games that I just shake my head and move on.  There's enough to do in the game that I can still go have fun.  It's just another lost opportunity.

I'm not taking any of this personally. I am simply arguing against your point because I do not believe it is any "overmanned" faction's responsibility to even any said "imbalance" when the problem isn't so much an imbalance as it is players of your faction not participating. Poharan's Cerulean faction has a very large Chinese community (players that played the Chinese version). Guess what? They actually like to participate in owPvP. Don't chalk it up to an imbalance just because most players on your faction don't want to owPvP.

I don't understand your semantic war with the word "imbalance".  Representation in Misty Woods for the two factions is imbalanced, as Ceru populates most channels, and Crimson can only really hope to try to pile onto one channel to get some farm time.  That's an imbalance.  I don't know all of the reasons why it is imbalanced, and your biased perspective on those reasons doesn't do anything for me because it is unsubstantiated.  I work in an analytics industry, so if you have no data, I don't really care what anecdotal evidence you bring to the table.

I'm telling you what I'm observing in-game.  And among those who want to OWPvP, if they organized or otherwise attempted to balance out representation between factions, we could have some good, even fights out there.  But it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in attempting to balance out Misty Woods faction representation.  So here we are.

EDIT - And part of the problem is that Ceru is rewarded in-game for its overwhelming representation advantage, because the objectives aren't PvP-based.  If no Crimson are around anywhere, no sweat off of Ceru's back, you just get free Terror/Blackwyrm kills, as well as all the Insignia farming you can handle.  I don't for one second expect anyone to try to make it competitive in-game when all of your reward grinding is optimized without competition.  For those on Ceru in Poharan who want a competitive OWPvP experience though, you can look to your fellow Ceru's to share the blame for why you aren't getting it.

Roxefeller, you're beating a dead horse.  You're arguments are full of misdirection and play on words, it's almost as if you've fooled yourself into believing people aren't smart enough to understand your angle.  Your mentality is rather simplistic in nature, you rolled blue and you're overly comfortable in that position enjoying the spoils of not having any competition, insisting it's a healthy environment.  This is a fairly common behavior found in those with entitled personality traits, extremely shallow and apathetic.

49 minutes ago, Cetra said:

Roxefeller, you're beating a dead horse.  You're arguments are full of misdirection and play on words, it's almost as if you've fooled yourself into believing people aren't smart enough to understand your angle.  Your mentality is rather simplistic in nature, you rolled blue and you're overly comfortable in that position enjoying the spoils of not having any competition, insisting it's a healthy environment.  This is a fairly common behavior found in those with entitled personality traits, extremely shallow and apathetic.

You rolled red and are overly butthurt because you chose a server, then chose a faction whose majority avoids participating in owPvP. Now you're blaming others who made a decision that wasn't the same as your own.

1 hour ago, Cogbyrn said:

I don't understand your semantic war with the word "imbalance".  Representation in Misty Woods for the two factions is imbalanced, as Ceru populates most channels, and Crimson can only really hope to try to pile onto one channel to get some farm time.  That's an imbalance.  I don't know all of the reasons why it is imbalanced, and your biased perspective on those reasons doesn't do anything for me because it is unsubstantiated.  I work in an analytics industry, so if you have no data, I don't really care what anecdotal evidence you bring to the table.

I'm telling you what I'm observing in-game.  And among those who want to OWPvP, if they organized or otherwise attempted to balance out representation between factions, we could have some good, even fights out there.  But it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in attempting to balance out Misty Woods faction representation.  So here we are.

EDIT - And part of the problem is that Ceru is rewarded in-game for its overwhelming representation advantage, because the objectives aren't PvP-based.  If no Crimson are around anywhere, no sweat off of Ceru's back, you just get free Terror/Blackwyrm kills, as well as all the Insignia farming you can handle.  I don't for one second expect anyone to try to make it competitive in-game when all of your reward grinding is optimized without competition.  For those on Ceru in Poharan who want a competitive OWPvP experience though, you can look to your fellow Ceru's to share the blame for why you aren't getting it.

Instead of spending time asking one faction to fix this imbalance of owPvP participation for you, try inspiring your faction to come together and fight. The "imbalance" lies in the lack of participation among your own faction; not the abundant participation of the other faction. Don't come in here acting all high and mighty, "I chose the 'undermanned' faction whose players just don't participate. So you(the 'overmanned' faction), needs to fix this lack of representation and switch factions."

This problem is unsolvable. If you don't like the state of your faction's representation in owPvP.. switch factions or reroll on a new server.

4 minutes ago, Roxefeller said:

You rolled red and are overly butthurt because you chose a server, then chose a faction whose majority avoids participating in owPvP. Now you're blaming others who made a decision that wasn't the same as your own.

Instead of spending time asking one faction to fix this imbalance of owPvP participation for you, try inspiring your faction to come together and fight. The "imbalance" lies in the lack of participation among your own faction; not the abundant participation of the other faction. Don't come in here acting all high and mighty, "I chose the 'undermanned' faction whose players just don't participate. So you(the 'overmanned' faction), needs to fix this lack of representation and switch factions."

This problem is unsolvable. If you don't like the state of your faction's representation in owPvP.. switch factions or reroll on a new server.

I knew blue was going to be overpopulated because the streamers I used to watch were all rolling blue.  If I'm butthurt over anything it's because the OWPVP aspect of the game is now being trashed.  I don't care if it's red, blue or whatever.  The fact remains the same, you're a carebear coward defending the fact that your faction is overpopulated because you enjoy hiding behind your zerg.  You're so ignorant to the fact of what this does to the game you don't care, the situation will have a negative impact on your experience in the longrun, you're just unable to comprehend why.

1 minute ago, Cetra said:

I knew blue was going to be overpopulated because the streamers I used to watch were all rolling blue.  If I'm butthurt over anything it's because the OWPVP aspect of the game is now being trashed.  I don't care if it's red, blue or whatever.  The fact remains the same, you're a carebear coward defending the fact that your faction is overpopulated because you enjoy hiding behind your zerg.  Your so ignorant to the fact of what this does to the game you don't care, the situation will have a negative impact on your experience in the longrun, you're just unable to comprehend why.

You're clinging to this "your faction is overpopulated" claim. The game has a built in system to curb "overpopulation". Most of your faction does not participate. No one can force the other members of your faction to participate. ESPECIALLY if you're unwilling to even try to bring your faction together and are hovering on the forums; jumping on every "factions are imbalanced" bandwagon. If I'm a carebear coward for choosing a faction on a server that just happened to turn out having more owPvP participation, so be it. I chose my server blindly at headstart.. not knowing what clans/what streamers(if any because I don't watch streamers play games. I play games) would be on my server.

The state of the game and how this "imbalance" would affect it in your eyes is irrelevant. If anything, it's a testament to a hope that it will get whiny sods like you off of the game. That would enhance my experience. Take your salty butthurt somewhere else.

18 minutes ago, Roxefeller said:

I didn't ask anyone to do anything.  I thought I made it clear by specifically stating what my expectations actually were, and that I was just making observations.  Please read my posts before responding.

How are you certain that it is simply a lack of participation from our faction that is the issue?  Do you have data on level distribution, clan distribution, activity distribution, etc. for the two factions?  You're trying to just throw anecdotal, naive reasons out there and assuming they are true.  I'm not buying it, but I also haven't even been discussing the reasons for the disparity (is that a better word than "imbalance", or are you going to put it in quotes too?).  I'm just telling you what I'm observing.

Please quote the part where I was acting high and mighty.  If you can't, please read my posts before responding.  I chose Crimson because the guild I was going to join was Crimson.  And I would have joined Crimson anyway, because whatever, I had no other information at the time.  I would re-roll to the side that was behind to try to make it more of a fair fight, because I like fair fights, and fair fights take priority over other things in-game.  If you think that's high and mighty, the only reason is because you think low of the opposing school of thought/prioritization, or something.  I don't really get it.  Again, trying to turn this into an emotional/personal discussion, when I haven't said a single thing about you or your intentions.

Crimson can try to rally the troops.  In fact, they do try, very often.  I don't know how many people are on Crimson Legion but not in Faction chat because of the egregious bot spam that plagued us until yesterday evening, but there are those trying to rally people.  However, if one faction has to scrape together a collection of people with repeated call to arms, while the other faction just has groups of people farming across all channels, then there's an imbalance.  At that point, the only people who can act are those who are on the overmanned side.

Imagine you're playing soccer in a playground, and you have even teams.  However, one team just happens to be better, and because people don't like losing, some people from your team leave.  It starts 10v10, then suddenly it's 5v10.  The 5 people can try to convince others to join their team, but if that fails, do the 10 people just say "Not my problem, we're keeping our 10 people".  Alternatively, what if those 5 people join the other team.  Now it's 15v5.  Everyone on the 15 side refuses to join the other side for various reasons, and so a few more people leave the 5, and you're left with 2-3.  There are kids playing in the playground elsewhere who could join, but they see it's 3v15, so they just go back to whatever other fun they're having.

Now make it so whichever team scores more goals every 15 minutes gets a sticker.  The team with 15 just kicks goals, runs in, gets the ball, re-centers it, and kicks more goals.  They collect their stickers every 15 minutes.

To me, that's basically BnS's "OWPvP".  Blame all of the people not participating all you want, but if 20 people are interested in soccer, and if you want to actually play soccer, you balance the teams out as best you can for good games.  If you just want to reap reward, then you do what is happening right now.

And it isn't a big deal to want to reap reward.  There's nothing really to compete over anyway in the open world, but don't try to hide it like that isn't what's happening.

" If you don't like the state of your faction's representation in owPvP.. switch factions or reroll on a new server."

Oh my sweet, summer child.  That's the attitude that got us into this mess.

2 minutes ago, Roxefeller said:

You're clinging to this "your faction is overpopulated" claim. The game has a built in system to curb "overpopulation". Most of your faction does not participate. No one can force the other members of your faction to participate. ESPECIALLY if you're unwilling to even try to bring your faction together and are hovering on the forums; jumping on every "factions are imbalanced" bandwagon. If I'm a carebear coward for choosing a faction on a server that just happened to turn out having more owPvP participation, so be it. I chose my server blindly at headstart.. not knowing what clans/what streamers(if any because I don't watch streamers play games. I play games) would be on my server.

The state of the game and how this "imbalance" would affect it in your eyes is irrelevant. If anything, it's a testament to a hope that it will get whiny sods like you off of the game. That would enhance my experience. Take your salty butthurt somewhere else.

At this point I'm just going to assume you're mentally challenged and don't know when to stop, you haven't said one thing in this thread that would hint at you having any slight bit of intelligence so I'll let you continue and stop replying.  Either that or you're just trolling because you don't have anything else to do.

5 minutes ago, Cetra said:

you haven't said one thing in this thread that would hint at you having any slight bit of intelligence ... or you're just trolling because you don't have anything else to do.

I'm surprised someone with such boundless intelligence like yourself took this long to figure that out. I'll sit here at my cushy job passing the time antagonizing you. I do apologize to Cogbyrn for wasting his time as he puts real effort into his replies and maintains his composure. Yours are simply translated as, "I'm a whiny *cricket*, please read my whiny rants."

By the way Cogbyrn, great analogy with the soccer game on the playground. I do understand your view of the matter as you do precisely and elegantly express your concern. However, my own view does not change. I still think the problem lies in the lack of participation on whatever faction is perceived to be "undermanned".

5 minutes ago, Roxefeller said:

I'm surprised someone with such boundless intelligence like yourself took this long to figure that out. I'll sit here at my cushy job passing the time antagonizing you. I do apologize to Cogbyrn for wasting his time as he puts real effort into his replies and maintains his composure. Yours are simply translated as, "I'm a whiny *cricket*, please read my whiny rants."

By the way Cogbyrn, great analogy with the soccer game on the playground. I do understand your view of the matter as you do precisely and elegantly express your concern. However, my own view does not change. I still think the problem lies in the lack of participation on whatever faction is perceived to be "undermanned".

I'm happy for you, considering I work for myself from home I'm quite comfortable myself.  I'm perfectly fine with your admittance in trying to antagonize me, with that I rest my case.  Now I'll proceed to watch you hilariously attempt to change face in the thread and make friends in cowardly fashion.  I'm glad you clarified your true intentions and invalidated your entire argument for all of us, now we can move on from your nonsense.  Thanks for playing salt queen. 

Haha, that's the first time one of my analogies has been applauded.  Usually they're torn to pieces and I'm like "Yeah, it wasn't that good, bummer".  Thanks for understanding what I was trying to get at.  I also agree that participation is very likely a key issue, especially after discouragement like this, but it feels like the bandwagon/militia effect in GW2.  When your world is steamrolling a BL, people come out of the woodwork and the zerg gets large, because you're really slammin' those reward chests/captures hard.  However, when it's a slog to try to take things back/defend/etc., your population is mysteriously lacking.

Except it isn't a mystery.  People just want their reward, and if they aren't going to get it, they go do something else for it.  It's very, very possible that Crimson's participation has been discouraged into the garbage it is today, and if Ceru tried to balance things out, it might bring Crimson people out of the woodwork and throw the discrepancy back the other direction.  Additionally, if things become challenging for Ceru, people might suddenly vanish, contributing even further to a huge swing.

It's really difficult to say without any data, so I take my ultra-basic view of it and only focus on those who appear to be participating.  I will add, though, and say that those on Crimson who refuse to even try because it might be difficult also share fault for these situations too.  I wasn't trying to say that people sitting on the overmanned faction and refusing to move are the *only* place to lay fault.  They just share it, specifically with those on Crimson who refuse to even try to fight because it might be a slog.  Another part of the problem is that there are so many things to do (E. Fleet, dungeons, dailies, arena) that it's very easy to just pop over and do something else than try to organize a resistance that will net you a bunch of fights but nothing towards upgrading any of your stuff.

Definitely a prickly situation.  

Question is where will it go from here, will it improve or will faction dailies become a neglected piece of the game for most reds?  Right now one of the biggest incentives is soulstones however they're crashing due to the new RNG box and the new content update in about a week.  With so many other viable ways to get soulstones, will Crimson try to fight back in anyway or will that aspect of the game just become abandon?

I think Crimson needs a reason to fight back.  Unless a channel is absolutely flooded with the opposing faction, you can sneak *most* of your dailies in by being stealthy (not like, stealth the mechanic, more just sneaking around).  The people who want to farm you are waiting on your cliff, or waiting at your faction named target (like Waido).  I could be wrong, and there could be servers who patrol every square inch to refuse the representation-lacking faction anything.  But without a really strong reason to actually fight, as opposed to snap-claiming a channel so you avoid a fight, I'm not sure I see it turning around.

As an example, after I wake up, I eat cereal while doing E. Fleet and my faction dailies before I start work.  It's probably the mornings that help me get by with the sneakiness, but it works really well.  That isn't a solution for everyone, but I otherwise have no reason to be in Misty Woods that benefits me in any way, so when I have spare time to play, I go do something else.  Fighting in the extra-laggy open world is also an exercise in frustration, especially as an FM, so I really want there to be objectives that serve as foci for actual PvP, instead of hoping PvP just sort of happens instead of insignia/Blackwyrm farming.

In short, I want to *know* there is PvP happening, then I'll go PvP.  If I find myself standing up on the tower, or hearing only blackwyrm/insig farming calls, I'll leave.

A well organized group of 5 can kill 20 random people.

A well organized group of 10 can kill 50 random people.

A well organized group of 20 can kill...

The list goes on.

Good luck organizing.

PS: Blue outfits suck. :/

4 minutes ago, Meoww said:

A well organized group of 5 can kill 20 random people.

A well organized group of 10 can kill 50 random people.

A well organized group of 20 can kill...

The list goes on.

Good luck organizing.

PS: Blue outfits suck. :/

Actually, you know what else I find interesting?  I hardly see *any* Destros/Summoners on Crimson when I'm running around, but when I get jumped by Ceru, it is almost always by at least one Destro/Summoner.  Usually both at once.

As a FM though, I'm not sure how much I can really do without those supporting roles taking some heat/rooting/etc.  And my ping needs to not be 1000+.  You're right, but people give up way easily.

Archived