A problem with the bidding system.

Spiderbot

There is a master loot system in the game, also not everyone is an ass and will drive up the bid, if they do just pass and you're the one making money.

Save up enough and bid people out on what you need. That's all you can do, that's how the game works and it won't be changing anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Iduno said:

Yeah it sucks that people that have no need of an item or ability to use it can drive the price up like that, it's the equivalent of the people who roll need on everything in other MMOs,

Not exactly.  The people bidding need on something they can't use that's No Trade in other MMO's are just being dicks.

Here, there's two "legitimate" reasons to do so:

1.  Drive the price up so you get something (money) out of the drop.

2.  Can use it as a pretty nice augment material.

Anyways, counter argument.  2 bosses that can drop break weapons.

2 blade dancers, 1 destroyer in group.  First boss drops lynblade.  Both dancers want it, so bidding goes up to 5sp.  One lynblade gets his weapon, everybody else gets 1sp, everybody is happy.

2nd boss, axe drops.  Sure, the group could let the destroyer get it for 1cp, in which case the other 5 people in the party completely wasted their time killing that boss.  Or they could bid that person up to maybe 4sp, and get a little cash out of the fight.

The destroyer may think they're being jerks, but hey.  Aren't they entitled for some compensation for their time/effort?  For this reason, with the bid system, I don't actually see anything particularly wrong with bidding somebody up (particularly if they're initial bid is "1") if they're the only person that can use it.  I'm actually more inclined to argue the person bidding 1 on something only he can use is the actual jerk.  Sorta comparable to not tipping your waiter for good service.

(Incidentally, I'm actually sort of of the opinion that the bid system would lose much of the reason I dislike it if a calculated minimum bid was implemented.  (say, 80% of the average price of the last 10 contested bids on the item.))

8 minutes ago, WhiteCrow said:

So you're saying you'd rather one person get an item they want for example a weapon, instead of the whole party getting something out of it?

What if the game had a roll system and you would get out rolled by someone on a weapon you need? At least this way everyone gets something.

Well, for starters: in a roll system, normally when unique gear (in this case, the weapon he wanted which was unique/untradeable) drops, you can only roll need if your class can use it. Otherwise, you can only roll greed. This stops an assassin from loot ninja'ing a blade dancer's weapon, or a force master needing on a destroyer's weapon. It only becomes an issue when there's gear that multiple classes can use.

In this bidding system, yes everyone can "benefit" from the system. Winner gets the item they want, and everyone else gets a cut of the cash from the bidding. However, the system has nothing keeping it in check (like the roll system stuff I mentioned above). It becomes a free for all. A system that will allow any person to bid on any item without anything keeping it in check is prone to such toxic, vile, and trollish things happening. Certain unique and untradeable items should be limited to the class they were intended for. Besides, the system can work in reverse against people that want to take everyone else's money by skyrocketing bid prices.

A destroyer axe drops. There's one destroyer in the group. You have 1 gold, 3 silver. You're trying to raise the bidding price on the axe so you get more coin out of the deal. The bid gets up to 53 silver (you're bet). You've been bidding against the destroyer for it. He decides to drop it on you. You get stuck with the axe, and lose have your earnings on an axe you couldn't use because you wanted to try and hike the price up. You can't use it to upgrade your weapon because you don't have everything you need. So you just got yourself an axe you can't use, can't be used as an upgrade material right now, and you lost half your total coin because you got greedy.

A good idea would be to have lesser items (in the gear color tier common in mmo's, lets say the unique weapon is a green, and lesser gear is white) drop in the dungeon for all members to roll on regardless of class. Bid to your heart's content. All of these lesser items can be used as upgrade materials too. Everyone still gets a cut of the bids. And on THE Boss, a couple items drop. One being a unique item (like the blade the OP wanted), everything BUT the unique item can be bidded on by everyone. The unique item can only be rolled on by the class it's intended for. In exchange, each of the other party members gets a set amount of coin in exchange. That way, even if the class is not present in the group, the group still makes out by receiving X amount of coin. Prevents price hikers, dropping items onto others, everyone still makes out, and items available for upgrading still drop throughout the dungeon. 

I do agree that the system is super easy to troll, but there aren't many ways you can stop this without making it completely different, this system is very unique, trust me I've been bid up on stuff I need, but if that happens I make that person pay when I pass lol

It sucks to have a class bidding for food pretty much but not everyone is an ass maybe you can be nice and say you really need it :P

13 minutes ago, GreatIskandar said:

A destroyer axe drops. There's one destroyer in the group. You have 1 gold, 3 silver. You're trying to raise the bidding price on the axe so you get more coin out of the deal. The bid gets up to 53 silver (you're bet). You've been bidding against the destroyer for it. He decides to drop it on you. You get stuck with the axe, and lose have your earnings on an axe you couldn't use because you wanted to try and hike the price up. You can't use it to upgrade your weapon because you don't have everything you need. So you just got yourself an axe you can't use, can't be used as an upgrade material right now, and you lost half your total coin because you got greedy.

Yep, bidding up is risky, one of the reasons I like a calculated minimum bid based on historic trends for the item.  The system itself will ensure that everybody gets a fair(ish) share, without somebody having to risk getting stuck with something he can't really use.  That said, bidding up actually isn't *that* risky.

4 minutes ago, WhiteCrow said:

Gnat you shouldn't share that information more trolls will appear, would be cool if you edited and removed that lol

'Fair enough, though I should point out I'm not against people bidding up, and there is a counter to that counter.

2 minutes ago, GnatB said:

'Fair enough, though I should point out I'm not against people bidding up, and there is a counter to that counter.

I'm not against bids either, but the method you described would cause a huge uproar if it was used more :(

1 hour ago, Spiderbot said:

Shouldn't bids be limited to only classes that CAN ACTUALLY use the weapon?

No! i love troll people like that. When that happens to me i just bid till i know he gonna bid again and i don't bid next, now he gets trolled, won a useless item for him and lost money.

Archived