A problem with the bidding system.

Spiderbot

People can bid on any item, regardless of their class. This came up to my attention yesterday during a Blackram Narrows run. An assassin's dagger dropped from the final boss. We had exactly one assassin. Yet some other people in the party were allowed to bid on it until the poor guy had to dish out about three silver for it. 

The kicker? Those items are untradeable. There was no reason for them to bid on it more than to hold the item hostage until the guy gave them some money. As if we didn't already have enough with the RNG that decides which weapons drop from the boss. 

Shouldn't bids be limited to only classes that CAN ACTUALLY use the weapon?

If the only class that could bid was the appropriate class that would be nice for maybe a single person in the group, with the current system, bidding up gives the rest of the party more money since the winning bid is split between the rest of the parties members.

the same thing happened to me as a blade dancer. only BD in the team and they decide to bid on it; i grinded that dungeon more than 20 times for a lynblade and it finally appears but from the chest at the end. my poor money orz

a good suggestion to this game could be to limit the bids only for the upgrading weapon materials to those who can use it. 

Just now, Huixci said:

the same thing happened to me as a blade dancer. only BD in the team and they decide to bid on it; i grinded that dungeon more than 20 times for a lynblade and it finally appears but from the chest at the end. my poor money orz

a good suggestion to this game could be to limit the bids only for the upgrading weapon materials to those who can use it. 

Again, changing the way the bidding works would benefit most of the time 1/6 maybe 2/6 party members.

The way it is now, no matter who wins, everyone gets something out of it.

Yeah it sucks that people that have no need of an item or ability to use it can drive the price up like that, it's the equivalent of the people who roll need on everything in other MMOs, on the whole I don't mind the bid system but that particular aspect of it is downright nasty.

Its the reason I immediately back out of any bid on an un-tradeable item I can't use.

I mean a bidding war between two people who can use a weapon upgrade is fine, but one between one guy who can use it and one who just want's to milk the poor *cricket* just isn't cricket.

(man having *cricket* as the censor word can cause some confusion)

I still don't see why all the complaints about this, EVERYONE in the party gets money from the person bidding on the item, and this isn't a roll system. You get what you pay for.

Don't want to pay too high? Run again while saving up money from other peoples bids til you can bid enough.

I personally like the system, but I view it as common courtesy to not bid on an item if the person of that class needs it, especially if it's a breakthrough and untradeable. If someone in the party is of the class and I just want to use it as fodder I wait and see if they bid. If they bid, I pass; if they don't bid, I do.

This is not how everyone sees it though, and while it sucks to grind the same dungeon repeatedly, at least you're making bits of money during it.

I would rather grind a dungeon and get a bit of copper/silver/gold from it even if I lose the bid than come out empty handed because my roll sucked. I will say, however, that personal loot systems are my favorite type.

While I agree with most of the posts to some extent. Like Aimo ^ I have common courtesy to not bid on things I simply have no use for.

So far I only bid on an item once cause the person who wanted it wasn't being very nice.

I ended up spending 8 silver on food for my weapon but best money ever spent lol

I can understand the frustration when you're having really bad RNG and tons of people not passing on something only you need.

But if they are trying to outbid you, try get it up and then pass so they end up paying for it and you get money.

Well honestly lol most people know what they would be paying, I was playing with my gf in tomb of exiles earlier today, she's a summoner and a cat headgear dropped, me and her bid up a *cricket* to 8 silver cause he was really wanting it, we made money out of it enough to buy a headgear each.

The system can be great, but can also be very toxic.

It really depends on the people you meet.

I recommend trying to start a conversation, maybe say you need something and you'd appreciate if people passed on it. :)

7 minutes ago, WhiteCrow said:

While I agree with most of the posts to some extent. Like Aimo ^ I have common courtesy to not bid on things I simply have no use for.

So far I only bid on an item once cause the person who wanted it wasn't being very nice.

I ended up spending 8 silver on food for my weapon but best money ever spent lol

I can understand the frustration when you're having really bad RNG and tons of people not passing on something only you need.

But if they are trying to outbid you, try get it up and then pass so they end up paying for it and you get money.

You're a saint. Most people just up the bids to troll. It's brutal.

2 minutes ago, Sykess said:

You're a saint. Most people just up the bids to troll. It's brutal.

I really don't think that I am. I'm just not an ass lol

I see no reason to slow another persons progress and make them frustrated with the game.

That's why threads like these pop up.

Sadly there will always be toxic people, but you have to deal with it, and maybe outsmart them and make some extra change ;)

Even though I always drop out of a bid if someone in the party is the only one who can use it, I like that people have a choice. 

That's one of the few things that games just don't do enough. They make it so... carebear. If I want to rob people blind, I should be able to do that. Not everyone wants to be the nice guy, and you shouldn't punish them for that. Everyone has a playstyle, that's what makes games great. 

Just now, WhiteCrow said:

I really don't think that I am. I'm just not an ass lol

I see no reason to slow another persons progress and make them frustrated with the game.

That's why threads like these pop up.

Sadly there will always be toxic people, but you have to deal with it, and maybe outsmart them and make some extra change ;)

My solution is "I don't care if I have to bid 50 silver, I'm tired of running this." bid for a bit. then stop bidding.

1 minute ago, xCookieMonster said:

Even though I always drop out of a bid if someone in the party is the only one who can use it, I like that people have a choice. 

That's one of the few things that games just don't do enough. They make it so... carebear. If I want to rob people blind, I should be able to do that. Not everyone wants to be the nice guy, and you shouldn't punish them for that. Everyone has a playstyle, that's what makes games great. 

there's a difference between a system that promotes trolling and one that allows freedom. at this point all it does is promote people looking for money by bidding up. regardless of the fact that you may not even want the money.

People are phallic objects.. I don't want to have to deal with phallic objects. I just want to farm out my items and go on my way without some childish person laughing manically as they extort me for my hard earned currency just because they're aware you need the item.

Want to know why It's not okay? If you did that in real life, people would chew you out because it's NOT right to do. The mask of anonymity that playing online gives you allows you to avoid that chewing out, so it's up to devs to implement measures that restrain people from being phallic objects.

6 minutes ago, Sykess said:

there's a difference between a system that promotes trolling and one that allows freedom. at this point all it does is promote people looking for money by bidding up. regardless of the fact that you may not even want the money.

People are phallic objects.. I don't want to have to deal with phallic objects. I just want to farm out my items and go on my way without some childish person laughing manically as they extort me for my hard earned currency just because they're aware you need the item.

Want to know why It's not okay? If you did that in real life, people would chew you out because it's NOT right to do. The mask of anonymity that playing online gives you allows you to avoid that chewing out, so it's up to devs to implement measures that restrain people from being phallic objects.

Everyone wants money, so that doesn't really make sense. 

It isn't childish that they want to earn something from running a dungeon. In this case, what they're earning is gold. There's nothing wrong with that. 

Chewing someone out isn't going to stop them from being a pain in the ass. So that's moot either way. 

I dont think the bidding system should be change. I like the fact that everyone gets something out of a drop and i have on couple occassion drive bids up so i can get a few extra pennies. But it depends on the party member. Not all players are jerks and most dungeon i run most folks don`t bid on my class gear if i am alone but the bidding system is great. Hope it dont change.

58 minutes ago, Spiderbot said:

People can bid on any item, regardless of their class. This came up to my attention yesterday during a Blackram Narrows run. An assassin's dagger dropped from the final boss. We had exactly one assassin. Yet some other people in the party were allowed to bid on it until the poor guy had to dish out about three silver for it. 

The kicker? Those items are untradeable. There was no reason for them to bid on it more than to hold the item hostage until the guy gave them some money. As if we didn't already have enough with the RNG that decides which weapons drop from the boss. 

Shouldn't bids be limited to only classes that CAN ACTUALLY use the weapon?

discrimination, tisk tisk. we are all equals here on BnS, no class left behind

I think being allowed to bid on a non class item is ridiculous.  I dont need to drive up prices or make money from something that the other person needs.  Thats not how I play.  But if i see you do it in group, you better believe I will make you pay for everything.

1 minute ago, xCookieMonster said:

Everyone wants money, so that doesn't really make sense. 

It isn't childish that they want to earn something from running a dungeon. In this case, what they're earning is gold. There's nothing wrong with that. 

Chewing someone out isn't going to stop them from being a pain in the ass. So that's moot either way. 

Everyone wants money, so I'm going to hold this item you want hostage unless you give me more money.

Extorting people is an extremely childish move.  What they're getting out of the dungeon? The drops they went there for.

Chewing people out is one of the primary ways of teaching someone that what they're doing is WRONG. Someone litters? you PUNISH them with a fine with the goal that they wont repeat the behavior. the only reason why this isn't applicable is because the properties of the internet don't fully convey and weight or gravity when you're punished.

3 minutes ago, Sykess said:

Everyone wants money, so I'm going to hold this item you want hostage unless you give me more money.

Extorting people is an extremely childish move.  What they're getting out of the dungeon? The drops they went there for.

Chewing people out is one of the primary ways of teaching someone that what they're doing is WRONG. Someone litters? you PUNISH them with a fine with the goal that they wont repeat the behavior. the only reason why this isn't applicable is because the properties of the internet don't fully convey and weight or gravity when you're punished.

So you're saying you'd rather one person get an item they want for example a weapon, instead of the whole party getting something out of it?

What if the game had a roll system and you would get out rolled by someone on a weapon you need? At least this way everyone gets something.

8 minutes ago, WhiteCrow said:

So you're saying you'd rather one person get an item they want for example a weapon, instead of the whole party getting something out of it?

What if the game had a roll system and you would get out rolled by someone on a weapon you need? At least this way everyone gets something.

I have no problems with there being some form of rewards for the people who lost the bid. What I'm talking about are the people who are ONLY there to drive the bid up. They don't want anything out of it except your gold. They make it their mission to bid the price up so that they make more money. It's a phallic object move.

At least with the roll system the party doesn't get stopped for 5 minutes while people bid. A simple roll is best. you put down your roll, you move on.

and I'd also be okay with the bid system remaining, but let's NOT have it be the only option to distribute items. Let's be able to pick what we want. Nb4G or Auction. This way it becomes a choice.

what if the game had a roll system and you would get out rolled by someone on a weapon you need? At least this way everyone gets something.
yes, this way everyone gets something, and ideally that'd be fine. However there's people out there who ruin it.

Archived