Wow Charging Tax For NCoin?!

Danganronpa

4 minutes ago, Danganronpa said:

You guys are the only game company that has ever charged me freaking tax for purchasing cash shop currency. Also, $1.10 in tax on virtual currency?! What the hell is this crap?!

You probably shouldn't mention that.  if you live in just about any U.S. state with a sales tax, that means you're guilty of tax evasion on all those previous purchases.

(Pro-tip:  As far as the tax man is concerned, it's the BUYERS responsibility to pay sales tax.  If the seller handles it, (which may also be required by law, depending), he's just doing the seller a favor.)

(Note:  In the EU, the law making it the sellers responsibility tax-wise just went into effect.)

Just now, GnatB said:

You probably shouldn't mention that.  if you live in just about any U.S. state with a sales tax, that means you're guilty of tax evasion on all those previous purchases.

(Pro-tip:  As far as the tax man is concerned, it's the BUYERS responsibility to pay sales tax.  If the seller handles it, (which may also be required by law, depending), he's just doing the seller a favor.)

(Note:  In the EU, the law making it the sellers responsibility tax-wise just went into effect.)

That makes absolutely zero sense. It's not my responsibility to yell at every company to charge me taxes. Like what?

3 minutes ago, Hime said:

Thanks for the handy link, EChondo.

Tax is by state and by region. For example, California does not charge tax on digital goods but Texas does. 

You're welcome.

2 minutes ago, Danganronpa said:

I live in Maine. NCsoft has nothing to do with Maine as far as I know.

Maine however;

Taxes all “tangible personal property” that includes any computer software that is not a “custom computer software program.” A custom computer software program is a program made in a single instance for a single customer.

So you are taxed because Maine requires companies to tax you and it seems NCSoft is following that. If companies are not taxing you on digital goods then they are not following the law.

Just now, Danganronpa said:

That makes absolutely zero sense. It's not my responsibility to yell at every company to charge me taxes. Like what?

You're right, it isn't your responsibility to yell at the company to charge you tax.  Like I said, in many cases companies are merely doing you a "favor" when they handle the sales tax.  However in most U.S. states with a sales tax it *is* your responsibility to disclose any untaxed purchases (and pay tax on them) when you pay your income tax.

Back when I lived in Illinois there was actually a section on the income tax form for it.  (And according to a quick google search, Maine works the same way.)

So yeah, probably shouldn't talk about your tax evasion too loudly.

4 minutes ago, Calderious said:

Use SEA Gamer Mall. You can get NCSoft NCoin Cards at a big discount. I think the 8000 NCoin card is like 85 bucks. I've bought from them numerous times, never had any issues--always instant delivery.

If you aren't a gold seller, then I wouldn't recommend talking up a company that sells gold... that'll get you an easy ban.

edit: even if they are just selling you NCoin, I'm sure NCSoft wants you to buy from them

1 hour ago, Danganronpa said:

You guys are the only game company that has ever charged me freaking tax for purchasing cash shop currency. Also, $1.10 in tax on virtual currency?! What the hell is this crap?!

To the OP, I am not sure what games you play online but pretty much ANY game that I have played where I have bought any type of digital goods or services I have been charge a tax.  

Since moving to Texas I've had most e-commerce sites automatically deduct sales tax.

Personally, I know that the Law says it is the buyer's responsibility to pay the tax.  But if that is the case, it really should be called a buy tax, not a sale tax.

12 hours ago, GnatB said:

You're right, it isn't your responsibility to yell at the company to charge you tax.  Like I said, in many cases companies are merely doing you a "favor" when they handle the sales tax.  However in most U.S. states with a sales tax it *is* your responsibility to disclose any untaxed purchases (and pay tax on them) when you pay your income tax.

Back when I lived in Illinois there was actually a section on the income tax form for it.  (And according to a quick google search, Maine works the same way.)

So yeah, probably shouldn't talk about your tax evasion too loudly.

Yeah, this year will be the first time I'll be paying taxes so I had no clue.

10 hours ago, Gamerchick said:

To the OP, I am not sure what games you play online but pretty much ANY game that I have played where I have bought any type of digital goods or services I have been charge a tax.  

Well I've played, TERA, Trion Games, Blizzard games, Nexon games, and crap tons more and this is the first time I was ever charged tax for cash shop currency so I had no idea that that was even a thing.

2 hours ago, Danganronpa said:

Well I've played, TERA, Trion Games, Blizzard games, Nexon games, and crap tons more and this is the first time I was ever charged tax for cash shop currency so I had no idea that that was even a thing.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/tax-information

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4662718197

Funny because I play all those games also and they all tax you.  See above posts for just an example.

Archived