In-game mail behind paywall

VoidMalign

2 hours ago, VoidMalign said:

I apologize if I didn't understand correctly how this system works. Correct if I'm wrong, the in-game mail service is behind a real life money paywall? Unless you buy ncpoints, you cannot access the mail to send or receive stuff to/from other players? If so, who's 'bright' idea was this?

Interesting, I see it as a bot-prevention-wall.

Because everyone has the privilage to do so. I would gladly pay for a game that I like, but since I'm a responsible person I can't do so. Such things like paying irl money for sending a stupid mail is just... putting me off.

Mail can be received at any level, from anywhere. Mail can only be sent from the storage npcs, and if I remember right you couldn't send mail until level 15ish when you would be entering Jadestone. Sadly this is knowledge from other versions of the game I've played over the past 5-6 years, I'm not 100% it's the same here but it was fairly consistent on other versions with this requirement as well so I'm hoping that the English version followed suit.

What the premium function allows you to do is send mail right from level 1 instead of having to wait until level 15ish or so. So it's generally just lets you start mailing sooner, none of the other regions prevent players from using the mail system if they are non-premium that would be absurd on so many levels. ._.

Support page "Why Can’t I Send Mail To Other Players?" says: 

However, you can send mail to your alternate characters on the same account without restriction.

but you can't send mail at all, even to your alt. 

I've had enough bad experiences from other games, not going to pour money into a game with such paywalls.

At least not now.

Just now, CuppyCakes said:

To repeat for everyone to see, also, I believe the same applies for auction/marketplace.

You still need to purchase something to send mail, according to the support page I previously linked:

Players who have not made any real-money purchases since August 18th, 2015, will not be able to send any outgoing mail to other players.

Problem is that you can't send mail even to your alt on the same account, altho the same page states you should be able to.

This feature makes it impossible for free users to craft certain things, like keys, since there is no shared bank account.  If they intended it solely as an anti-gold selling measure, they could have just restricted the amount of gold per mail or even the ability to send gold for free users.  So far this is the only feature I've run into that ruins a major part of the game for free users.  I wanted to play the game a bit first before committing to spending any cash to get a sense of it's f2p model, which in the end is what will make or break the game in terms of population, and I can see that this mail restriction will end up causing a lot of people to quit a little ways down the road once they figure out they need to craft on both their alt and main (trading mats back and forth) to make a lot of the most useful items.

21 hours ago, Rurumo said:

This feature makes it impossible for free users to craft certain things, like keys, since there is no shared bank account.  If they intended it solely as an anti-gold selling measure, they could have just restricted the amount of gold per mail or even the ability to send gold for free users.  So far this is the only feature I've run into that ruins a major part of the game for free users.  I wanted to play the game a bit first before committing to spending any cash to get a sense of it's f2p model, which in the end is what will make or break the game in terms of population, and I can see that this mail restriction will end up causing a lot of people to quit a little ways down the road once they figure out they need to craft on both their alt and main (trading mats back and forth) to make a lot of the most useful items.

What?

That system is so you rely on other players, why not open the marketplace.

6 hours ago, CuppyCakes said:

What?

That system is so you rely on other players, why not open the marketplace.

Except the auction is restricted too.  And that's a big part of the market. That leaves it down to players porting all over the place to meet up to trade stuff in person. Teleporting fees add up quick that way.

2 hours ago, Arishock said:

Except the auction is restricted too.  And that's a big part of the market. That leaves it down to players porting all over the place to meet up to trade stuff in person. Teleporting fees add up quick that way.

....Have you actually tried? Because since lvl 16 I've been able to buy off marketplace. The items get sent to your mail, you can either open mail interface wherever you are and pay a fee to get it instantly, or you can go to a chest icon npc and retrieve the item for no fee by opening mail there.

I heard you need to talk to the chest icon npc and access marketplace from there to list items for sale, but I haven't tried it yet. 

You can buy off the marketplace wherever you are though, no need to talk to npc.

What he meant to say is that the amount of marketplace deals you can make daily is limited too. But yeah it seems like the mail is restricted till level 16 which is the bot protection, and the paywall is just a scummy way to make some more money.

I believe that this is not so much for anti gold trading for gold sellers, but it is one measure of avoiding goldselling advertisements spam

As we all know, the gold sellers are spamming every possible channels

I have been in a game where a gold selling bot would just be programmed to repeatedly send in-game mail to everyone who walk passes it,

in order to advertise their websites and "cheap" gold selling rates..

At least now they had to go through the hassle of topping up their NCoins to do that and I think the inconvenient prevented mail spam from happening

Imagine getting tens and hundreds of gold selling advert in your mail every time you walk up to the Marketplace/Mail NPC or walk in popular town areas.

I'm sure we won't like that

6 minutes ago, Vanille said:

I believe that this is not so much for anti gold trading for gold sellers, but it is one measure of avoiding goldselling advertisements spam

As we all know, the gold sellers are spamming every possible channels

I have been in a game where a gold selling bot would just be programmed to repeatedly send in-game mail to everyone who walk passes it,

in order to advertise their websites and "cheap" gold selling rates..

At least now they had to go through the hassle of topping up their NCoins to do that and I think the inconvenient prevented mail spam from happening

Imagine getting tens and hundreds of gold selling advert in your mail every time you walk up to the Marketplace/Mail NPC or walk in popular town areas.

I'm sure we won't like that

This has nothing to do with gold sellers, NC just wants money, they could have easily put a level requirement or even limit of mails per day, but they chose to profit from a basic function instead.

Archived