Premium Member Queue

Jai

2 minutes ago, WuTang said:

Here's a thought, absorb all other low ass servers into Mushin, put a reverse proxy on the front end and round robin load balance logins for traffic. Problem solved. You have a one large ass server that everyone can join.

Because networking and systems are THAT EASY! :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Freyar said:

So your friend is in the club, had a few drinks, he's having a decent time. There's a club next door that's got room, but you're standing in line outside the one your friend is in. He's not willing to come out, but eh.. people are blaming the club that they're packed for some reason.

#internetanalogies

I think the difference here is that he prepaid for it though, and I don't think you can really compare drinks with character progress

Just now, Amp said:

I think the difference here is that he prepaid for it though, and I don't think you can really compare drinks with character progress

Except when he prepaid the ticket was for any of the clubs associated with the one he's standing outside right now.

Just now, Freyar said:

Except when he prepaid the ticket was for any of the clubs associated with the one he's standing outside right now.

Yes, but like I said, there are finer details that make a huge difference between comparing a club to a mmorpg where character progression is saved, and where making your character determines permanent location of said character. This is one of the reasons I hate analogies lol

1 minute ago, Amp said:

Yes, but like I said, there are finer details that make a huge difference between comparing a club to a mmorpg where character progression is saved, and where making your character determines permanent location of said character. This is one of the reasons I hate analogies lol

Sure. It isn't perfect, but regardless there are remedies it's just that nobody's taking them, and then blaming NCSoft for it, which is 100% BS on the community's side.

Ugh.

Some backstory.  I'm PST, and tend to play late anyways, so typically servers I'm on feel "dead", as nobody much is playing at that time.  As such, being on very populated servers generally works out fairly well, so even during their "dead" times, there are at least some people playing.

So, I enter the queue before doing some chores/dinner/etc.  Takes maybe 3 hours to get through the queue.  When I finally get on... the sever feels dead.  There aren't actually many people running around playing, there's tons of people apparently just afk in towns.  (yet still, obviously, a long queue)  Seriously, people are just jerks.

They do really need to do something about the afk issue.  My solution?  Start a regular procedure (for as long as queues persist) of Grabbing the name of everybody online & in queue at ~1am.  Disconnect everybody.  Flag everybody that doesn't re-enter the queue in the next 30 minutes.  If your account is flagged, you automatically get disconnected after 1 hour in-game.  Flag persists for a week.  No player side evidence said flag even exists.

1 minute ago, GnatB said:

Ugh.

Some backstory.  I'm PST, and tend to play late anyways, so typically servers I'm on feel "dead", as nobody much is playing at that time.  As such, being on very populated servers generally works out fairly well, so even during their "dead" times, there are at least some people playing.

So, I enter the queue before doing some chores/dinner/etc.  Takes maybe 3 hours to get through the queue.  When I finally get on... the sever feels dead.  There aren't actually many people running around playing, there's tons of people apparently just afk in towns.  (yet still, obviously, a long queue)  Seriously, people are just jerks.

They do really need to do something about the afk issue.  My solution?  Start a regular procedure (for as long as queues persist) of Grabbing the name of everybody online & in queue at ~1am.  Disconnect everybody.  Flag everybody that doesn't re-enter the queue in the next 30 minutes.  If your account is flagged, you automatically get disconnected after 1 hour in-game.  Flag persists for a week.  No player side evidence said flag even exists.

At that point you'd be generating even MORE support tickets that people are getting disconnected randomly. Best option is just to disconnect people after an idle timer and leave it at that.

idk I just feel like it's weird to be queued for 200min and stay at 200 min for basically... 200min... soooo hahaha i know that it's a full server and i can tolerate but it's hard to enjoy headstart when you cant even get a head start ):

Here's another way to look at the queue times on Mushin.  Think about how many hours you're sitting there staring at the queue.  How far do you think you could progress if you just skipped the queue and played on a different server?  How far could you get in 3.5 hours?  5 hours?  10 hours?

I personally got to level 30 in about 8 hours with a 30 minute break for dinner in there.  I consider myself pretty casual.

1 minute ago, Freyar said:

Sure. It isn't perfect, but regardless there are remedies it's just that nobody's taking them, and then blaming NCSoft for it, which is 100% BS on the community's side.

I'm sure some people are taking those options, but some people here have valid reasons for complaining too. Nothing's entirely perfect, but I mean, I just don't think any server should be having people not be able to get in over more than 3-4 hours of waiting. The server distribution stats were out during name reservation I think (50% of entire playerbase on Mushin), so I think this could have been reasonably predicted on NC Soft's part or at least better handled for the load.

I do feel like a refund could be issued if someone 1) was never able to get on their server of choice for headstart and 2) would agree to an account wipe so that their characters would be deleted and the names would be available again. I don't know how much trouble that would be though.

2 minutes ago, Amp said:

I'm sure some people are taking those options, but some people here have valid reasons for complaining too. Nothing's entirely perfect, but I mean, I just don't think any server should be having people not be able to get in over more than 3-4 hours of waiting. The server distribution stats were out during name reservation I think (50% of entire playerbase on Mushin), so I think this could have been reasonably predicted on NC Soft's part or at least better handled for the load.

I do feel like a refund could be issued if someone 1) was never able to get on their server of choice for headstart and 2) would agree to an account wipe so that their characters would be deleted and the names would be available again. I don't know how much trouble that would be though.

Some are, but not enough to have a noticeable impact at this point.

"I think nobody should have to wait 3-4 hours." In a perfect world, we wouldn't have queues, but there is no magic wand that allows capacity changes at the drop of a hat. Final Fantasy XIV, World of Warcraft, and many other games struggle with this and continue to do so to this day. Expecting NCSoft to have a sudden advantage that no other publisher for MMOs has is absurd.

Yes, they likely had the numbers for how many characters were created where, but that doesn't change the engineering challenges of adding capacity, or adding capacity beyond what the software can provide (remember that this is a game developed by someone else adapted to the West.)

So i woke up this morning knowing there is a huge queue time daily hopping to get in before the 1000s login. I got into the game within an hour or so....when....dc.....i Q~Q. Loged back in and queued up again, waited like 3 hours the 2nd time since there was 400-700 people queuing up. I got into game and once again dc....Q~Q. so now i'm back in queue once again and i have no idea how long it's gonna be but probably another 3 hours. Biggest suggest to NCsoft, please please please learn something from archeage and have the queue time show u what position u are in and your time for getting out of queue also giving the different premium members different que times would be nice too like back in cb? silver vs gold members get different ques and kicking afk players? archeage did that when they launched due to the huge queue times players were experiencing they continued doing it even way past launch it would help to open up space on the server for players who are actually "playing" since when i am able to get past queue and i'm questing i see tones of people afk by npcs or even by hostile mobs and die because there afk....also since people seem to dc due to game problems or maybe their connection they should have a grace period say u dced if u get back into the game within 5 mins u don't have to queue up again thats what Archeage did, which would be really great since u'd have less stresses over having to requeue in because of an unexpected dc. If stuff like that was implemented i wouldn't mind waiting in queue as much as how queuing works right now.

Just now, Freyar said:

Some are, but not enough to have a noticeable impact at this point.

"I think nobody should have to wait 3-4 hours." In a perfect world, we wouldn't have queues, but there is no magic wand that allows capacity changes at the drop of a hat. Final Fantasy XIV, World of Warcraft, and many other games struggle with this and continue to do so to this day. Expecting NCSoft to have a sudden advantage that no other publisher for MMOs has is absurd.

Yes, they likely had the numbers for how many characters were created where, but that doesn't change the engineering challenges of adding capacity, or adding capacity beyond what the software can provide (remember that this is a game developed by someone else adapted to the West.)

Kindly reread my post. I said that I don't think anyone should have to wait OVER 3-4 hours to get in, I did not say "I think nobody should have to wait 3-4 hours."  

And that's the thing -- if this is a known problem with many games, why aren't better efforts being made to resolve it? As it stands, people aren't getting dc'd by the server for afking the entire day in the game and this in itself just creates a vicious cycle; because the queue is too long, I won't log out of the game, and as a result, the wait times are even longer because people are keeping their characters logged on the entire day. It may not even be an issue of adding capacity as much as how an active load can be managed on a server.

I'm one of those idiots who logs out when I'm done playing, but I should obviously stop doing that til they implement AFK kick if I want to have any hope of playing.  If they offered legitimate character transfers it would be one thing, but the current option is just not appealing for people already invested, and since it's a hard sell in general, you add the fact that nobodies friends or guilds want to do it either...I mean there's just really very little anyone can do about it at the current time. They should have had AFK kicking implemented when they saw pre-headstart that the population was so lopsided with reserved names. 

5 minutes ago, Amp said:

Kindly reread my post. I said that I don't think anyone should have to wait OVER 3-4 hours to get in, I did not say "I think nobody should have to wait 3-4 hours."  

And that's the thing -- if this is a known problem with many games, why aren't better efforts being made to resolve it? As it stands, people aren't getting dc'd by the server for afking the entire day in the game and this in itself just creates a vicious cycle; because the queue is too long, I won't log out of the game, and as a result, the wait times are even longer because people are keeping their characters logged on the entire day. It may not even be an issue of adding capacity as much as how an active load can be managed on a server.

Over versus Exact: Semantics. Let's not argue that point as we really do mean the same thing here.

The lack of an idle timer and kick is something I'm surprised about as well, but that doesn't change the fact that we'd still have a long queue time, even with it.

Just now, Freyar said:

Over versus Exact: Semantics. Let's not argue that point as we really do mean the same thing here.

The lack of an idle timer and kick is something I'm surprised about as well, but that doesn't change the fact that we'd still have a long queue time, even with it.

No, because the way it's written in your post makes it seem like no one should be waiting for 3-4 hours in general. A 3-4 hour time range vs. 4+ (think along the lines of 5, 6, 7, 8, etc) hours is a pretty huge difference. Waiting 3-4 hours is acceptable. Anything much beyond that means things are pretty bad.

Quoting needs to be precise because the entire undertone and meaning of a quote could change if you modify the words to your interpretation. If you're going to quote, you should actually just quote.

And like I said, if there were an idle timer implemented, yes there would still be long queue times, but I'm fairly certain that 5-9 hour waiting times would be much alleviated. 

12 minutes ago, Amp said:

No, because the way it's written in your post makes it seem like no one should be waiting for 3-4 hours in general. A 3-4 hour time range vs. 4+ (think along the lines of 5, 6, 7, 8, etc) hours is a pretty huge difference. Waiting 3-4 hours is acceptable. Anything much beyond that means things are pretty bad.

The intent is to say "Nobody should have to wait too long." That I think we both agree on regardless. 

Too long is dependent on each individual person.

Right, but "too long" needs to be explicitly defined somewhere if I'm going to make a statement about it. Don't quote me but then change my actual wording and meaning in the quote, since I specifically defined an unacceptable wait time as being more than 4 hours. The details do matter.

4 minutes ago, Amp said:

Right, but "too long" needs to be explicitly defined somewhere if I'm going to make a statement about it. Don't quote me but then change my actual wording and meaning in the quote, since I specifically defined an unacceptable wait time as being more than 4 hours. The details do matter.

Too long is irrelevant. The queue is the queue and even if your standard is more than 3 hours, to someone else it is much higher or much less.

You can keep arguing this.. I'm not going to deal with semantics when in the end it's all about people choosing to not use the capacity available.

3 minutes ago, Freyar said:

Too long is irrelevant. The queue is the queue and even if your standard is more than 3 hours, to someone else it is much higher or much less.

You can keep arguing this.. I'm not going to deal with semantics when in the end it's all about people choosing to not use the capacity available.

If you don't want to deal with semantics, quote people with copy & paste, simple.

And again, people have valid reasons for doing so. What if say, most people leave the game in 1 month? 2 months? Mushin has 50% of the entire player population, and the rest of the servers have like 10, maybe 15% of the population at max? What do you think will happen to the less populated servers? No one wants to deal with a dead server. I've experienced that multiple times before by not joining the most populated server. Not even talking about having friends on Mushin here. I will queue 10, 12 hours to get into Mushin if I have to. But it doesn't mean people won't be upset about it.

You're talking to tens of thousands of players here, how can you not expect people to complain? If you're implying that players expect the company to be perfect, I don't understand how you can expect a population of over 50, 60, 70k people to be perfect and just take whatever solution is given to them, while not pushing for better results.

the real problem is that there is no afk kicker. It should be implemented that after an hour of a character not moving they should be disconnected due to inactivity. These people who are afking are taking up the spots of people who actually want to play. 

9 minutes ago, oxDessyxo said:

the real problem is that there is no afk kicker. It should be implemented that after an hour of a character not moving they should be disconnected due to inactivity. These people who are afking are taking up the spots of people who actually want to play. 

Those people who simply want to play can just play on a different server. The f2p players SHOULD be joining other servers even after seeing the long que times for Mushin. The lobby page also has announcements on what servers are busy. Spending money to play this game when it comes out in 3 days is the most unwise decision in terms of value, you should be buying a pack for its benefits or exclusivity on name reservations because getting a good name or clan name can justify the price ontop of exclusive costumes and premium benefits. Simply buying a pass for a free game is laughable and deserve the longer que times than the people who paid more. Afk-kicker will be implemented seeing as its a reasonable option from this situation.

Archived