Need a Yeti Guide for Dummies

1. Heat phase: he sucks in heat and everyone get a cold debuff. After sucking heat in, he will try to grab the person who he has agro on:

a. If that person got grabbed: Yeti will throw the person after blowing hot air at the person. At this point, everyone in the party has to run quickly to the person who just got throw to get the heat from that person to remove the debuff. One thing to note: the person who got thrown should not move or roll out right away after getting thrown. Why, if the person move, the party member can not get the buff

b. If the person dodge right after the heat suck in, Yeti will skip the grab and prepare to jump.

2. After 1a or 1b happens, Yeti jumps to the person it agro after the heat suck in animation (this is the 1st jump). When Yeti gets ready to do the 2nd jump, it's recommend to STUN him. No daze no KD, only STUN. He will skip the 2nd jump and do his 3rd jump. In this 3rd jump, Summoner or BM or FM can party counter to save people. If not, everyone has to dodge this jump. Recommendation: dodge toward Yeti, not away. Why: at this point, if you have the debuff on you, you are more than likely to get frozen after dodging. After the 3rd jump, Yeti will leave a heat geyser where he lands. Get in and get the heat stack. It increases your damage. Max stack is 5.

3. Yeti will do this HEAT phase 3 times regardless of his HP. If the party does the heat phase correctly, everyone should still have 2 hearts. 

4. After 3 heat phases, Yeti will starts Cold phase. And here is thing get a little trickier.

a. In the 1st Cold phase, Yeti will do 2 slams after he sucks in cold air. Later cold phase, he doesn't slam anymore. All you can do is just I-frame them.

b. After 2 slams, icicles will be dropped leaving ice pools:

i. For party who has no FM to save the party's butts for 8 slams: Look @ yeti HP. If his HP is above 30%, hold your dps (I usually hold @ 32-33%) and go clear the ice pools. You can clear it with 2 ways: stepping into the ice pools which will cause you to be frozen OR kill the mushrooms which will give you a fire orb. If you choose to kill mushrooms for fire orbs, aim @ the pool and throw it. NOTE: orb bounces 1 time so don't aim right at center of the pool, it will bounce out. You can safely leave 2-3 pools as everyone should be able to i-frame 3 slams. Your objective here is not letting Yeti to suck in 8 cruxes from ice pools @ 30% HP

ii. For party with FM that knows how to save party for 8 cruxes, keep on DPS Yeti if you like.

iii. If Yeti's HP is already below 30% when the icicle drops during the 1st Cold phase, you can either try to clear as quick as you can or prepare yourself to dodge the 8 slams because Yeti will suck the cruxes from ice pool in almost immediately.

c. Yeti sucks in cruxes at 30% HP. Depends on how many cruxes he got, he will slam that many times. If you fails to i-frame the slam, and each slam stacks more ice debuffs on you. After he finishes slamming, he will pause briefly and do a jump. This jump is deadly and a potential party wipe -- hence, some party like to have an FM that knows how to save the party for him jump if the party is frozen in place. I usually prefer to clear the pool for less headache.

5. Yeti will now continue to do ice till he dies. After the first ice phase and if the party survive it's dps time. If your party is low on AP. Have 3 or 4 people do ice pool clear again while the other 2-3 keep on DPS him.

Yeti is pretty easy once you get his mechanic down. This guide is just solely based on my experience. I don't watch youtube or read guide....so there may be something else that I may have missed. But generally, that's how I and my clan members do it.

The most critical point of the fight in my experience is after the first ice pools appear. More often than not, Yeti will be at/below 30% HP, so he'll jump to the middle and absorb the pools. PUGs hardly ever bother getting any of the pools, so it's hard not to die/spend a Dragonblood in this part. Getting your iframes down here can save you if you can't rely on any sort of party protection, but good luck getting your iframe rotation right and not get frozen at all. It's easier said than done.

3 hours ago, YamiKokennin said:

3. Yeti will do this HEAT phase 3 times regardless of his HP. If the party does the heat phase correctly, everyone should still have 2 hearts. 

That's not true. If you DPS him below 50% during his first heat phase then he will skip Heat phase #2 and go directly to heat phase #3. This happened to me in a high DPS party. 

3 hours ago, YamiKokennin said:

4. After 3 heat phases, Yeti will starts Cold phase. And here is thing get a little trickier.

Yeti will enter Cold Phase at 40% actually (or as soon as he can jump to the middle after 40%)

Pretty great guide overall YamiKokennin. Thanks for this. This should help out Domisotto quite a bit. For the record -- it's not only FMs that can save the party  -- Hence my first reply with YouTube video in this thread ;)

21 hours ago, Nabzy said:

That's not true. If you DPS him below 50% during his first heat phase then he will skip Heat phase #2 and go directly to heat phase #3. This happened to me in a high DPS party. 

Yeti will enter Cold Phase at 40% actually (or as soon as he can jump to the middle after 40%)

Pretty great guide overall YamiKokennin. Thanks for this. This should help out Domisotto quite a bit. For the record -- it's not only FMs that can save the party  -- Hence my first reply with YouTube video in this thread ;)

That's strange then. I will need to test that again. 2 nights back I did it with my clan mates, we got it to 30% and he was still doing the 3rd heat. Will have to vid cap it this time.

Question though, his rotations, do they differ between 6 and 4 men?

10 hours ago, YamiKokennin said:

That's strange then. I will need to test that again. 2 nights back I did it with my clan mates, we got it to 30% and he was still doing the 3rd heat. Will have to vid cap it this time.

Question though, his rotations, do they differ between 6 and 4 men?

I'm pretty sure the only difference in any 4 man vs 6 man is the drops and AoE indicators. All else is the same -- Hp, rotations, etc.

Still no dice. I really tried, but I still died in the end, and a couple of times the FMs froze us too, so I must have missed it on everyone of the jumps. The 4+F in particular is a pain, 4 might go off, but even if I am pressing it basically simultaneously (keyboard + mouse button), F won't activate on time :(

Is there any tell-telling sign at all to press iframe that is possible to watch for?

I did not die on Yeti yesterday & we did not have an FM! We had a set of BD and Sin, 2 Summoners, a Warlock and iirc a Blademaster. That soulburn reset on the skills I think what did it rather than my personal ability to iframe with the short iframes. I did manage to set off a Shroud during one of the 2nd jumps, and I hope it helped. Also, we got almost all of the circles, so I think we were not pounded by cruxes badly.

The cat died though, because in the end a mushroom pulled me, and kept pulling me and I've panicked instead of killing it calmly. That's one thing that gets me on Yeti. The kindly and wise player who taught me to play in a MMO once told me: "If you get disoriented, bubble and get your bearings." Bubble was my long iframe in that game. On yeti, every iframe is precious, and the fight is high tempo, so it is basically impossible to get your bearings. When you are frozen, your view is also static so you can't use it as a breather. I think all and all, the Underlurker was tougher on me, b/c my passing it with pugs had basically zero ratio, as the Underlurker group-wiped if one person failed cross mechanics & stress on a healer was crazy.

On 30/06/2016 at 1:37 AM, Nabzy said:

I'm pretty sure the only difference in any 4 man vs 6 man is the drops and AoE indicators. All else is the same -- Hp, rotations, etc.

There's another difference: a buff in 6-man that reduces the damage you take. You don't get the buff in 4-man, so getting hit there will hurt a lot more. Reading attack patterns well from boss animations alone is a must to survive.

Archived