Currency Exchange

Zarec

So now that we have a currency exchange in game, in theory it should help with the RMT that is an issue in the game.  NCwest made one miscalculation.  They did not allow the player economy to control how much 1 gold costs.  

Right now 1 gold costs 69 Ncoin which from what I can tell is the lowest NCwest is allowing it to go.  Bad thing is RMT is going lower.  10 gold for 3 bucks from a RMT site is lower than anything NCwest is allowing players to trade.  I get they are trying to manage the economy but this is one thing they need to leave in the players hands as the RMT are making the economy exchange a failure.  

Right now players are going to be more inclined to go to RMT sites to buy gold rather than support the game via buying Ncoin.  NCwest, If you truly care about the game, reexamine the minimum allowable ncoin price players can set and let them control it.  Yes prices will plunge but will straighten out over time.  You are trying to exert too much control over the game economy making it easier for RMT sites to have a business as they are looking much better than your own system in game to many players.

I think they're doing fine. Purchasing from external sites is bannable so that is the player's choice whether or not they will follow the ToS. If there is a system to buy gold directly within the game and players decide not to use it because they want to buy it cheaper from another site, they deserve to be banned.

Another thing, it seems you're implying that players would make the gold to ncoin rate lower than the sites offer. That would destroy the economy to the ground. There are bots everywhere. They are constantly making money. Nothing would stop the site's prices from dropping lower and lower until nobody sells gold or buys gold from within the game itself because it's not worth it.

The way they control the rates is better than having greedy players buying all the cheap gold and reselling for a higher price.

3 minutes ago, JJhopper said:

Sounds like you dont know know how to use the mechanics properly. 

I always go under the minimum and people are just selling at 69 

10 gold at 69 Ncoin per gold is 690 ncoin.  that is roughly 8 dollars.  10 gold at RMT sites is around 3 dollars.

They need to let the playerbase set the Ncoin per 1 gold.  

1 minute ago, JJhopper said:

Again I see people sell at 1:50(lowest I've seen) people buy and resell at 69

It has nothing to do with you're implying..more like greedy playerbase but when gold is easy to get then prices will drop. 

huh If true then I've missed those windows cause every time I look the lowest is always 69

1 minute ago, JJhopper said:

Re sellers, people buy low sell high to ruin market and greedy ****

I haven't tried selling gold so no clue what the incentive is to try and manipulate the economy

2 minutes ago, Zarec said:

I haven't tried selling gold so no clue what the incentive is to try and manipulate the economy

Well a perfect example would be the corrupted razor sold for 20 sliver now 1 gold, messed up

So I'm considering getting into this game, and was very excited about it until I saw this Currency Exchange thing. Having come from Archeage, I'm not a fan of a pay to win model whatsoever. This currency exchange option looks like it's exactly that, but I know very little about the game mechanics and specific currencies to make an educated opinion. From the outside, the system is you buy Ncoin with real money and can buy gold with Ncoin. Is gold not used to buy things like gear and upgrade? Any clarity would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's a no win situation. Botter takes his gold he cheats to get sell's it through game exchange and buys memberships for all his bots. Player buy's cheap gold from site sells it through games exchange makes a killing in game and has the unfair advantage. The only way to really get rid of any issues is to get rid of the gold sellers and bots from game. At least make a hard effort to get rid of 50% so people can actually enjoy the game again.

5 minutes ago, Everidius said:

So I'm considering getting into this game, and was very excited about it until I saw this Currency Exchange thing. Having come from Archeage, I'm not a fan of a pay to win model whatsoever. This currency exchange option looks like it's exactly that, but I know very little about the game mechanics and specific currencies to make an educated opinion. From the outside, the system is you buy Ncoin with real money and can buy gold with Ncoin. Is gold not used to buy things like gear and upgrade? Any clarity would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pay to win means you can get something from paying real money that you cannot get from in game.  You have pay for convienence which most games have in some form.  Very few games actually are pay to win (perfect world is a great example of a Developer making their games pay2win).  

People like to use the term incorrectly as a catch all phrase when they are actually using it wrong.  Its like using their, there, and they're incorrectly.

2 minutes ago, Zarec said:

Pay to win means you can get something from paying real money that you cannot get from in game.  You have pay for convienence which most games have in some form.  Very few games actually are pay to win (perfect world is a great example of a Developer making their games pay2win).  

I was under the impression that pay to win means you pay real money for things you can get in game, but at a significantly quicker/easier rate. But removing that particular phrase, my concern with this game (and many others) is being able to buy gold, using that gold to buy/upgrade gear that will allow the player to dominate those who don't have particularly big wallets. Sorry for the confusion.

5 minutes ago, Everidius said:

I was under the impression that pay to win means you pay real money for things you can get in game, but at a significantly quicker/easier rate. But removing that particular phrase, my concern with this game (and many others) is being able to buy gold, using that gold to buy/upgrade gear that will allow the player to dominate those who don't have particularly big wallets. Sorry for the confusion.

No that is pay for convienence.  If you can get it in game you are not at any kind of statistical advantage over someone that paid for the same materials to get there faster.  You still end up with the same numbers stat wise.  If you could buy a gem in the store that you cannot get in game (or similar with same stats) that gives you higher stats than someone in game can achieve then you have pay2win.  We do not have that currently in the game and will not as long as the dev team has a say.  It is why we do not ahve legendary equipment currently as there is no way to get the items needed to advance them wihtout paying for it with real money compared to someone who wants to play without spending money.

It may take a free2play player longer to get there but they can get there same as someone who is payign for keys or materials.  Same end result.

3 minutes ago, Zarec said:

No that is pay for convienence.  If you can get it in game you can are not at any kind of statistical advantage over someone that paid for the same materials to get there faster.  You still end up with the same numbers stat wise.  If you could buy a gem in the store that you cannot get in game (or similar with same stats) that gives you higher stats than someone in game can achieve then you have pay2win.  We do not have that currently in the game and will not as long as the dev team has a say.  It is why we do not ahve legendary equipment currently as there is no way to get the items needed to advance them wihtout paying for it with real money compared to someone who wants to play without spending money.

Ok. That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate the info.

There seems to be some misinformation going around, players are indeed the ones who set the exchange rate, but the min/max can only fluctuate by 10% each day iirc.

If ncoins were over/underpriced, in time  the market would regulate itself via the trades that players make on it to reflect the current supply & demand.

The way the system works is in favor of the people spending actual moneys, as it would be quite disheartening tospend some ncoins on the exchange then see that half an hour later you could've gotten twice your moneys worth.

Nevertheless, to my knowledge, ncsoft does nothing to "keep ncoin prices high" apart from releasing new items in the shop, with the side effect of driving up the demand for hongmoon coins.

Also you guys are treating it like the game's unbelievably grindy and the only way to progress is to spend money on it. Are any of you actually playing the game?

There are so many ways to make a decent income ingame at max level, even more so if you have a group of friends to play with.

If you're buying gold with ncoins for gear upgrades, it's literally because u don't want to wait a few days to get your upgrade. Is that really what people call p2w?

Sure, there are benefits to having it sooner rather than later but it feels so petty to condemn someone for it.

Part of the fun in mmos is building up your character over time, theres no need to rush trough your upgrades .-.

That being said tough, i find the currency exchange more beneficial to the players who wish to purchase cosmetics and such with their ingame efforts.

It's very easy to overlook the other side of the fence where this feature gives access to the shop to a lot of f2p players, which is imo a great positive to the currency exchange.

tldr: cake is the new pie

Some people here seem to have misunderstood the currency exchange...

1. You can't buy and resell, buying cost NCoin which you have to pay real money for, selling gives you hongmoon coins which can't be used to buy from the currency exchange. It's not a 1:1 trade, thus you can't buy cheap sell high.

2. You can't buy Premium, signature packs, materials (dunno why they wouldn't let you do this at least), gem hammers or hongmoon riceballs with hongmoon coins, which means you have to pay that out of your pocket regardless.

This means that gold spammers won't use this system, they probably wouldn't even if it was Ncoin for Ncoin, as they'd have to trade NCoin for real currency in another step.

I can understand the incentive to not let players buy premium with hongmoon coins, if everything could be obtained without NCoin, people would not buy NCoin, but it's also a little too greedy in my opinion. I mean, the easiest way to earn hongmoon coins is through the coin exchange, and that requires other people to pay with NCoin. The only other way I know of to get hongmoon coins is through venture tokens, and they are ridicously rare as it is (I've found 1 regular venture token through the daily chests during my 1,5 months since I started playing this game).

I don't think allowing premium to be bought through hongmoon coins would impact NCwest's income, though it would probably please a lot of players, but I think i'm getting a little off-topic.

On 3/4/2016 at 5:24 PM, Emberlynia said:

Botter takes his gold he cheats to get sell's it through game exchange and buys memberships for all his bots. 

Wrong! You can't sell gold to buy membership.

You trade gold for Hongmoon Coins and Hongmoon coins unable to buy membership, you can use hongmoon coins to buy UNTRADEABLE ITEMS from Hongmoon store...GOLD SELLER WON'T DO THAT CAUSE THEY LOST MONEY.

oh sorry i thought you could buy membership with gold if players are willing to sell. Makes me wonder how all the items in the shop are available on gold selling sites including memberships. They must have a cheap supplier of the cards which if i was NCSoft it would *cricket* me off just as much as the gold they sell.

Archived