How is blademaster's dps in pve?

Atlantae

Hi, I'm fairly new to BnS, and the first character that I have leveled to 45 is blademaster, which I would like to continue playing as my main. While doing the big-4 dungeons, I often feel like my dps is low, especially when other party members chunk a decent amount of hp from the boss/mobs. This is likely due to my gear and lack of knowledge about proper pve rotation, but I was just wondering how does blademaster's dps compare to those of the other classes atm?

My current gear is True infernal sword stage 10, with triangle amethyst/ruby/peridot gems, full moonwater arena soul shield set, I have enchanted each piece using crit soul shield but it's not much; the crit bonus on each piece is between 20-35. 

My stats are:

Attack power: 291

piercing: 257

accuracy: 262 (does this stat matter? I don't recall seeing "Miss" on hits")

critical: 972

critical damage: 638

well, i don't know much about blademaster because i play forcemaster. but that stat will be nice to do dungeon and a bit  tanking mobs. since that soul shield has high HP (30k++ CMIIW). and about that accuracy. it'll be troublesome if you face evasive build (FYI, there's evasion stat) like poharan soul shield has 150+ evasion on some part soul shield. but i think you'll be fine since most of player use moonwater arena soul shield.

that just my opinion playing so far.

BM is primarily a tank and will therefore hit less than a DPS class. Their DPS is also higher when tanking. As for soulshields the moonwater pvp one is ok and can be used until you learned the fights but for the highest DPS you have the Poh purple SS set, for it to be good you need to aim to get it to roll crit on all pieces except for 3 and then enchant with either elite blackram crit or dokumo crit SS.

As for accuracy it matters in fights involving mobs that are higher level than yourself, for example Blackwyrm.

I am a 39 blade master and I've out damaged a 45, fully geared blade dancer. Just gotta utilize that draw stance to it's fullest. You won't get much damage unless you do, imo. Take a parry, do a cyclone and dash behind or use lightning draw. Use your combo with your draw stance and end with five point strike to go back into normal stance and repeat the process. Also, flash step when you can. The only thing I have to draw threat over the normal number is my five point strike and I normally have aggro way before then. Truly a fun class.

Blademasters have high block and burst damage. The stat you want to pump into is 75% crit and 25% block. Try to get Black ram supply fleet #8, #6, #5, with crit. Moonwater Arena #2 with crit. Get Moonwater Arena #3 and #7 with block. The final two pieces should be blackram supply. You can choose to go for block or crit, I'd go with crit. Use Cinderlands Primers critical to upgrade every soulshield with crit.

For the people wondering why I say cinderlands, moonwater is too expensive atm. The 103 crit soulshields are fine. An other option would be getting Elite critical #8 in the e.fleet.

People still don't get that there is no actual tank, dps or healer class. All of them can do this, some only have self heals, while others can give a small AoE DoT. You also have skills to make it easier to do it. That doesn't mean they're a tank. All classes can pretty much tank.

BM       : Parry/block

KFM     : Counter

Destro : Spin

LBM     : Spin

FM       : Kite + Q/E

Sin       : Evade/Stealth

Sum     : Cat defense form/taking health from the cat while fighting.

All classes also have pretty much their own strengths with dps. BM is pretty much Burst damage. High amount of damage over a short period of time, so it really requires proper combo's.

12 hours ago, MangoHam said:

I don't understand where this opinion that there aren't any tanks come from. Can people get aggro and survive from bosses for a long time? Yes, but in this game there is still the tank role due to how much easier it is for one person holding aggro while the rest can focus on dealing damage. There's a reason KFM and BM has threat modifiers on their skills. They are designated tanks. In the future PvE content this will be much more apparent where DPS needs to be on point to kill the boss. As for current PvE content, BW is a perfect example. A skilled tank can make that a lot easier simply due to how the boss will not randomly attack players. You mentioned FM as being able to kite, please try kiting BW and watch the chaos it will cause. Kiting is something that never should be done in party content except for certain scenarios.

A second reason to why the BM and KFM should tank is that tanking actually increases their DPS, in KFMs case it increases the party DPS as well.

To sum it up, a tank isn't a must currently but having one makes everything a lot easier and in the future they are more or less going to be required.

If you don't have any understanding of how PvE content works please do not make these type of comments

EDIT: After thinking about it I realised I missed to add the part of why there are tank classes. The KFM and BM are the deignated tank classes, not looking at the threat generation they are also the only classes with a next to spammable defensive move that doesn't take focus.

EDIT 2: Also no matter how much you're trying to deny it, all classes have their designated roles. Summoners are Support and DPS with a lot of different utilities, Destroyer is a DPS with lots of control. FM is the 2nd strongest DPS and is ranged with a few really good utilities. Assassin is the strongest DPS and brings the most damage. Blade Cancer.... well they are profficient at everything and master of none, so they are the only class with no designated role but that gives other problems.

20 hours ago, Atlantae said:

accuracy: 262 (does this stat matter? I don't recall seeing "Miss" on hits")

You won't see "miss", you'll see "evaded" or "blocked". For PvE, just make sure you're at 100%(this means with awakened infernal gear, siren belt, siren bracelet, moonwater arena soul shield, you'll still need to fuse at least one green quality accuracy into your soul shield).

Is there any guide on how to tank efficiently ? 

I Myself tried to tank multiple time, but my Health regen, is only good with potions... (and shoulder tackle), trying to evade most of attacks but still getting some pretty high damages... 

i think BM is a good dps enhancer on boss currently, since we basically can solo KD/daze boss. Just need to make sure u let people do grab on boss instead of aerial combo and go into draw stance to maximize group dps.

However, end game boss resist so much, I am wondering if it is just my shittier outdated weapon though.

8 hours ago, Memoris said:

Is there any guide on how to tank efficiently ? 

I Myself tried to tank multiple time, but my Health regen, is only good with potions... (and shoulder tackle), trying to evade most of attacks but still getting some pretty high damages... 

In this game there is I'd say 3 types of attacks. Two of them can be blocked with your 1 skill.

1. The non-marked attacks : These are attacks with no ground indicators, so you have to carefuly look at the boss and learn its animations to anticipate this properly.

2. The yellow-marked attacks : Attacks with a yellow indicator on the ground, could be a circle, a square, a frontal cone etc... When it is yellow, it can be blocked.

3. The red-marked attacks : Attacks with a red indicator on the ground, looking a bit more threatening than their yellow counterpart. These ones cannot be blocked, so you have to either get the F. out or use an iframe to dodge them. Sometimes it can cover the whole room or at least a very VERY large portion of it, forcing you to iframe perfectly. In order to know what skills give you iframes, read the descriptions of your skills, and find the ones with "Resist damage upon use" or something like that in it. As a Blademaster for example, your A and E do that, and you can spec your Cyclone and Five Point Strike to do that as well. SS also works.

Tanking in this game isn't done with health regen or damage mitigation (tho you still have tools like that for when you screw up). What really matters - besides holding aggro, obviously - is properly avoiding the damage by blocking/dodging at the right times. It takes a bit of practice with each boss in order to properly achieve that, so don't worry if you find yourself taking a lot of damage or even dying when tanking. It's normal, keep practicing.

6 hours ago, ShandraManaya said:

In this game there is I'd say 3 types of attacks. Two of them can be blocked with your 1 skill.

1. The non-marked attacks : These are attacks with no ground indicators, so you have to carefuly look at the boss and learn its animations to anticipate this properly.

2. The yellow-marked attacks : Attacks with a yellow indicator on the ground, could be a circle, a square, a frontal cone etc... When it is yellow, it can be blocked.

There are quite a number of attacks that fall into these categories which can not be blocked.

Yea sadly there's a bunch of yellow attacks that are unblockable.  The big one I can think of offhand are the giants in misty woods for the daily.  They have a small point blank area effect daze that gives a yellow indicator - but cannot be blocked.

Once you upgrade your weapons/gear, things won't feel so bad - especially if you decide to switch to the more offensive soul shield set. A true profane weapon would probably change how you play immensely. Suddenly, you can sit in blade draw mode spamming t3 flickers till you get a proc for honed slashes (or even more flickers if you are lazy) without starving for chi. Throw in some not furious seven (flash step), blade call (flock of blades upgrade), lightning rod etc. and you'll be alright. You don't even have to spec as hard or tank for regaining chi. In fact, tanking was a DPS decrease in a lot of scenarios since extended tanking would take you out of blade draw.

....and then I upgraded to siren. Well, the weapon does feel slightly stronger even if I can't spam forever.

Anyway, your fused crit bonus should easily be in the 40s-50s even with elite fleet fusions. You can always try to compare your gear to your parties to see how much of an equipment gap there is and try to correlate that with the actual dungeon run experience.

I have to say, True Profane weapon makes a HUGE difference. I can spend most of a fight in draw stance ani canceling thanks to the proc. Definitely in no rush to upgrade to Siren considering the cost and relatively small attack power upgrade. 

On 7/2/2016 at 2:45 AM, Shimond said:

Yea sadly there's a bunch of yellow attacks that are unblockable.  The big one I can think of offhand are the giants in misty woods for the daily.  They have a small point blank area effect daze that gives a yellow indicator - but cannot be blocked.

Yeah I didn't mention these ones because they are exceptions. I was only stating the basics, knowing the few exceptions that cannot be blocked even tho it's a yellow or unmarked attack comes with practice and experience with the different bosses. King Kaari for example has a very powerful attack with no ground-mark that cannot be blocked, stuns you, deals a crapton of damage, and hits you again right after. If you get stunned the first time and don't use your tab escape to iframe the second hit, you're most likely gonna die unless you're a geared level 45 (which you're most likely not unless you returned to farm the outfit or the weapon skin). Noticing when this type of attack happens and that it cannot be blocked requires to at least take it 1 time in the face while trying to block it, or having someone telling you about it.

If you want to dps in blademaster and rival other characters around your level/gear, invest in draw stance. It's our squishy 'dish out stupid amounts of damage' stance where we throw caution to the wind. I favor melee flicker and dragon tongue for mine, using q and 1 point in ss to get me back into draw stance swiftly. Basic stance is used for gap closers, CC, and really quick flicks for extra focus right before I jump right back into draw stance. If you learn your flash step timing you'll find you actually eat things alive/peel aggro pretty consistently, and always use all your dragontongues if someone is holding the enemy for you, it's boatloads of damage and removes the CD. If no one's holding the enemy up, weave dragontongues between two or three melee flickers to take advantage of the small CD window. Tab for me is tiered to give 3 focus and hit like a truck, and z just has one point to yield 3 focus. For AoE flash step, blade call, anklebiter (just for control), and lightning draw tend to be more than enough. Note that this isn't exactly what you necessarily want to take into PVP (though I've busted a few unlucky souls with an aggressive ambush), and if you're trying to solo Junghado with this be prepared to hate life because if you aren't qing and ssing like crazy or juggling your ccs you're wide open most of the time trying to run draw stance.

15 minutes ago, EbonYxi said:

If you want to dps in blademaster and rival other characters around your level/gear, invest in draw stance. It's our squishy 'dish out stupid amounts of damage' stance where we throw caution to the wind. I favor melee flicker and dragon tongue for mine, using q and 1 point in ss to get me back into draw stance swiftly. Basic stance is used for gap closers, CC, and really quick flicks for extra focus right before I jump right back into draw stance. If you learn your flash step timing you'll find you actually eat things alive/peel aggro pretty consistently, and always use all your dragontongues if someone is holding the enemy for you, it's boatloads of damage and removes the CD. If no one's holding the enemy up, weave dragontongues between two or three melee flickers to take advantage of the small CD window. Tab for me is tiered to give 3 focus and hit like a truck, and z just has one point to yield 3 focus. For AoE flash step, blade call, anklebiter (just for control), and lightning draw tend to be more than enough. Note that this isn't exactly what you necessarily want to take into PVP (though I've busted a few unlucky souls with an aggressive ambush), and if you're trying to solo Junghado with this be prepared to hate life because if you aren't qing and ssing like crazy or juggling your ccs you're wide open most of the time trying to run draw stance.

Wow. I like that I'm not the only one who preferes Drangontongue over HonedSlash in PvE. Makes me happy since most guys take Honed :D

This is my skillbuild

https://bnstree.com/BM?build=45010021003120143233232113110533230111084320532202426042114231603310032213211

Think our builds are kinda the same.

https://bnstree.com/BM?build=4501002201433062323323115322113113831111311053310811205321272114231603310034213211 <--- This is what I run right now. It's an okay hybrid of DPS wailing with some control/CC to buy time/build focus/trigger combos as needed, and gives 'some' versatility for bursty PVPing too (better with silly things like Poha's shield for obvious reason). I 'love' divebomb, btw. Get a summoner or KFM friend and you can pretty much spam it when they grapple and dragontongue when your BD or Dest buddy picks them up.

I deal high dps using this build:https://bnstree.com/BM?build=4501002100432014130632233212113113822111111052310843205332021114221603310032213211

Where I focus on switching to draw stance after I used one of these focus recoveries, Blade Call, Fissure, or Cyclone.  Then do lmb -> rmb ani cancel till 5 focus, use five-point, then flash step.  To avoid hits while in draw stance, I relied on five-point iframe, flash step, blindside, or evade.  Remember block -> cyclone -> five-point is your major agro booster.  Use pierce if you are stuck in blade stance, but I don't have enough skill point to spec that.  Only CC in this build is shoulder tackle and lunar slash for daze.

However for more CC fights, I would change stuff around while getting the most CC while doing the most damage in draw stance.

I avoid pierce like the plague. If you put a point in SS and use Q too to get back into draw stance there's really no point in time ever that you should be 'stuck' in basic stance and thus the focus is more valuable for flicker spam. Pierce is not necessary on any level for the draw stance focused build. Even updated lightning draw isn't but it certainly can't hurt (if I wanted to drop some of the CC low damage stuff I'd put those points in the draw for the boost to damage). I keep the CC stuff for those "Oh @#$@ I pulled everything oh @#$@!!!" moments.

18 minutes ago, EbonYxi said:

I avoid pierce like the plague. If you put a point in SS and use Q too to get back into draw stance there's really no point in time ever that you should be 'stuck' in basic stance and thus the focus is more valuable for flicker spam. Pierce is not necessary on any level for the draw stance focused build. Even updated lightning draw isn't but it certainly can't hurt (if I wanted to drop some of the CC low damage stuff I'd put those points in the draw for the boost to damage). I keep the CC stuff for those "Oh @#$@ I pulled everything oh @#$@!!!" moments.

He's running a tanking build. It's understandable that there are times when he can't be in draw stance.

It seems like this game doesn't have very good threat build since we don't have taunts. In other games you use a taunt to put yourself on top of the highest threat by 'X' amount, meaning that you can be slightly less geared and still hold it. Here it pretty much feels that if you're lacking gear it's pointless and you're just wasting time when you could be doing DPS. The majority of players don't listen when asked to hold back at the start of a fight; they literally seem to think it means wait two seconds while I get off one attack then do whatever you like. I had a higher geared FM and Sin earlier who rushed in at the start of the fight and actually expected me to manage to hold the boss.

I know that on my Sin when I'm in groups with similar gear pretty much anytime I come out of stealth aggro will be on me because it's constantly adjusted and there's no aggro dump, just temporary hides if you can stealth, use your cat to taunt the boss off of other people, or stop attacking altogether. I just say eff it. I may build a block/def set for fights like Blackwrym, but for most content I'm gonna do my thing.

Honestly the worst issue I see is FMs bursting at the start and then acting like they don't understand why the boss is on them when they're a top DPS class and Sins who pull aggro then run around like idiots because they don't know how to use a stealth build and re-stealth.  Anyway, BM DPS is pretty good, but we'd be even better with the HM skills that are impossible to unlock at the moment. I do admit that I need to get better at utilizing block and not always trying to i-frame with Q/E/SS or using 2 in normal stance and 3 in draw. I tend to play pretty aggressively, but we have both good damage and mitigation overall.

Archived