DPS Meter please

MENT

Everyone is failing at understanding what I'm saying.. Everyone is saying DPS is all about how much damage you do in a time frame which I understand. I been playing games well before the PC came to be.

I'm saying not everyone cares about how much DPS they do. Maybe they don't care how long the fight lasts as long they are still alive in the end. If they allow the DPS meter mark my words.. You will get some one who will comment on someone's DPS I seen it done too many times.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DeaHamlet said:

I prefer to be alive and keep my party alive over my dps. On my FM I keep having 1-2 people die on tough bosses something which I rarely had on my summoner. And parties go way faster with 6 alive over 4. Dps feels great, but in the end it just satisfies ego and takes longer. I prefer not having more epeen tools for tools to be tools with. Haha. 

OP. Your reason for wanting dps meter is so you know when to stop participating and start laying off the boss. That's a terrible reason for dps, to enable you leeching. Give 100% the whole fight, geesh. 

finally somebody that understands.

25 minutes ago, Emya said:

I think Blaz is referring to "effective DPS" :) CMIIW though.

Say if you have a skill that can do 500 damage/sec but it hits 3 different enemies at the same time, then your "effective DPS" is 1500 damage/sec.

DPS is easily associated to burst damage taken at a short time frame.

IMHO, DPS figures bear less weight for me compared to "total damage" figures dished for the whole run.

Because "total damage" includes effective DPS as well.

I really don't think this is what Blazz meant.

But you're absolutely right: Effective DPS takes AoEs into account of course. But DPS is Damage per Second [D / t] - it needs a timeframe. Total Damage and effective DPS go hand in hand. Time you're not dealing damage doesn't change anything about your 'DPS', but it decreases your total damage and thus decreasing your effective DPS.

23 minutes ago, TheBlazz said:

Everyone is failing at understanding what I'm saying.. Everyone is saying DPS is all about how much damage you do in a time frame which I understand. I been playing games well before the PC came to be.

I'm saying not everyone cares about how much DPS they do. Maybe they don't care how long the fight lasts as long they are still alive in the end. If they allow the DPS meter mark my words.. You will get some one who will comment on someone's DPS I seen it done too many times.

Not everyone cares about it. This is absolutely fine. But if I want to play a game casually I don't really have the right to complain when other people put in a little bit more effort, no? I also don't have the right to complain about being excluded by those people.

I understand where you are coming from. I understand why you think DPS meters are a bad idea. I disagree, though.

People will comment on other people's DPS. There's two possible things to do here:

Simply block those tryhards or get better.

In the end people will flame regardless. Bad DPS is one of the many things people will flame about, but at least bad DPS is tangbile.

23 minutes ago, Sanjoro said:
[...]

If you see no merit in having DPS meters at all, I don't think you've really thought about the whole issue. At all. You simply don't like them, for whatever reason. Maybe WoW went overboard with the utility, I don't know - but BnS is hadly scriptable and all people want is a simple DPS meter letting them assess their rotations better.

41 minutes ago, Boltonsquad said:

The only people that cry about DPS meter's are the one's who prefer to leech and slack off we don't need you in dungeons/boss fights. There's nothing wrong with DPS meter if it's for personal gain such as showing your total DPS only & not the DPS of others.

This is BS. I don't  want a DPS meter doesn't mean I am a poor summoner or want to slack off. I just don't want people coming at me with BS like "you if you did this you could..." It isn't helpful most of the time it someone wanting to brag they are better. My playstlye is very different but it doesn't mean I don't pull my weight. Not wanting a DPS meter because I have seen people flex their Epeen is take the fun out things doesn't mean I'm bad or poor 

I said this in another thread I would switch DOOM N' BLOOM from party heals to party focus and just major extra healing on me EVERYONE FOR HIMSELF RIGHT? and If I am making sure myself and my familiar get extra heals that means I can boost my DPS because I'm alive and possibly the only one. I would much rather heal my party instead because if everyone is alive that boss fight will take a heck of a lot shorter time to finish off. 

Want to test stuff use you combat log. I have no issues testing skills and different soul shield sets using my combat log. Go into the dungeons solo and time yourself. then switch things around and time yourself again. Now you've tested things 

I really like that Doom'n'Bloom example a lot. I myself play Summoner and I, of course, use the HoT mode generally. But if you're in a party full of people who play well enough they don't even need that HoT, the Focus regen might even be a better choice.

But in the end, what matters is everyone being alive. If you're in a bad pug, you increase your own DPS as well as everybody else's - by keeping a bad tank alive - rather than letting your party wipe and doing the boss yourself.

I really have a hard time comprehending the argument that going for high DPS lets the party suffer. This is hardly the case and sounds like fearmongering against DPS meters - almost always followed by an ad-hominem flex-your-epeen. If you encounter someone endangering the group nilly-willy to increase his DPS, he didn't even understand the concept in the first place, is probably mediocre at best, and probably is an unpleasant persona anyway.

And regarding you idea of soloing dungeons and timing - sure I can do that. It still doesn't show me details (like gem procs, etc.) plus it doesn't show me abusing party setups either. If I have a Summoner friend and I know he pack's the Focus regen instead of the HoT... using this will increase my DPS and my situational awareness.

Regardless... Not everybody who wants a DPS meter is a braggard. There's more to it.

An easy DPS meter is already in game; grab a stop watch and go to Dreadtide Arena. Go to final boss, start the stopwatch as soon as you start the fight, stop the stop watch when fight ends, and record the time. Leave Arena, set skills to new set-up, go back to final boss using the prior fights to get used to the new set-up, start stop watch when you start the fight....rinse and repeat until you are happy with your set-up.

There you go an easy way to find out what is the best dps set-up for you.

Archived