DPS Meter please

MENT

"I need dps meter so I can brag my dps and trash talk anyone that do lower dps then me" - everyone that asked for dps meter

people that aim for top dps will usually just focus on dps, they never run from boss attack, pattern, aoe, or even cooperate with other cause it will lower their dps...

anyway, bns don't allow any 3rd party software. if i see anyone paste-ing dps or trash talking and bragging their dps in anykind of chat i'll report them for using 3rd party software.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer to be alive and keep my party alive over my dps. On my FM I keep having 1-2 people die on tough bosses something which I rarely had on my summoner. And parties go way faster with 6 alive over 4. Dps feels great, but in the end it just satisfies ego and takes longer. I prefer not having more epeen tools for tools to be tools with. Haha. 

OP. Your reason for wanting dps meter is so you know when to stop participating and start laying off the boss. That's a terrible reason for dps, to enable you leeching. Give 100% the whole fight, geesh. 

Personally I wouldn't be even slightly interested in sharing my DPS with anyone or knowing anyone else's DPS. The only thing I'd like to test with it is effectiveness of one or another skill rotation (e.g. compare my FM builds on ice and fire and hybrid and see what options I have instead of having to figure it out by "feeling" or with a calculator).

Is it more effective to rotate impact with flame? Is it better to let it stack ember first? What if I add right click into it? Does Pierce damage work better against this boss than critical chance? Do crit procs from my gems and skills compensate for lack of crit damage? I don't know, and I can't be arsed to find out manually. That's what I would like to see a DPS meter for.

DPS meter is just a convenience. You can get your DPS now, but it's a pain. The main problem with DPS meter seems to be people overly sensitive comparing theirs to others', or people zealous to get max possible DPS while disregarding any survivability, or people that believe that it's some kind of unique feature of WoW that cannot be applied or used anywhere else. Frankly, I don't care. I don't see why you do.

EDIT:

And yes, I know that the chance one will make into the game is abysmal. I just wouldn't be opposed to it if it will. 

1 hour ago, Xyaie said:

If youre kicked due to a DPS meter, at least you had a chance, youre being measured by something at least potentially relivent. If someone kicks you because youre tanking, healing the group, grabing the mob so they can do more DPS and therefor your damage is lacking, that person is dumb and would have probably been a problem anyway. 

I also love the "DPS doesnt matter, its all about surviving/dodging". you do zero dps while dead, negative DPS while someone helps revive you. If the goal is to do max DPS, living is square 1, but living while doing 10k dps  is better than living while doing 8k dps. 

See you are not getting the end picture here. Sure you had your chance. You did 40% less dps than everyone else.

Survival is a thing, but you still need to do decent DPS.

I agree with you.

What happens next is you get kicked out because you do 5% less DPS. Get my picture? That's the elitism I am talking about.

5% should should not impact like.

Archer was also usually kicked out because most were not really good. They just pulled aggro, ran all over the place and died :)

2 hours ago, Dradiinmmo said:

Huh ?

How does this correlate to the fact that dps over survival is better? If yer dead but you did ok dps prior to death how are you contributing to the rest of the encounter ?

See when you are not fighting the creature you no longer do dps, therefore survival is more of a key to focus on. 

Do a level 45 dungeon with just dps focused assassins and you see how long your party will last.

I believed you might have missed what I was trying to say.

So if you as a player are going to live through the encounter, you do your role's job to the best of your abilities, and you also do 8k DPS.
You leave the dungeon, you change a few skill points, switch up your roation a bit, then do the dungeon again, this time you live through the entire encounter, do your role's job to the best of your abilities, and you also do 10k DPS. which would be better?

Its simple that if you are dead, you are doing 0 dps, and very likely hurting your group. So for anyone, surviving is top priority. Some people dont feel that just because they are living they are being the best they can be. I strive to do the best that my character is capable of and the best that I am capable of in every fight. the argument of "well you do zero dps while dead" is pointless, because its a given, it isnt a thing that if you push your DPS any higher you are suddenly going to explode.

1 hour ago, Capprice said:

See you are not getting the end picture here. Sure you had your chance. You did 40% less dps than everyone else.

Survival is a thing, but you still need to do decent DPS.

I agree with you.

What happens next is you get kicked out because you do 5% less DPS. Get my picture? That's the elitism I am talking about.

5% should should not impact like.

Archer was also usually kicked out because most were not really good. They just pulled aggro, ran all over the place and died :)

I was always told it was because I wouldnt be able to pull my weight. I was not given a chance to pull my weight, simply kicked out.

So while i was being kicked because people THOUGHT my DPS was low, I was also being told on the other side if DPS meters existed people would kick others for having low DPS so therefore they shouldnt exist in game. 

Regardless, DPS meters will come to this game, the argument of "Go back to WoW" is silly as WoW was not the first game with DPS meters and I cant think of a single AAA MMO that does not have them (at least personal DPS meters). In their absence people will find a way to be elitist and kick people for another reason (here its level and soul shields so far). 

47 minutes ago, TheBlazz said:

I disapprove of the whole DPS meter because it will bring nothing but problems.  Cause you will see dungeon party's forming that will be asking for people with like 1500+ DPS.

So? There's plenty of groups and pugs, you won't be lacking opportunity to do dungeons.

Filtering by DPS to go through content faster is a perfectly fine way of going about the game. Other people filter by class. Other people filter by your clan. Other people filter by how much they like your character name.

People should not flame others because their DPS is bad - at the same time people should be free to build their party as they see fit. If I can finish a dungeon twice with a high DPS group in the time another party barely finishes the dungeon once, I will certainly want to play with the players who at least try to be efficient.

Additionally I don't see how people can't see the argument Xyaie is bringing to the table. To DPS, you need to be alive.

People act like people going for high dps will disregard others and throw all safety out of the window to increase their DPS.

You know what is abyssmal DPS? Yes, wiping the party. Survival is top priority. Maximizing DPS while staying alive is what a proper DPS player should always aim for.

4 hours ago, Dradiinmmo said:

Hmm, kind of odd, It wont let me delete the "Dradiinmmo said:". This is not directed at him, moreso Erufuun.

DPS meters change little in the end. It doesnt give you any information you didnt already have (by its nature, it cant) it just makes it easier to see. 

Much like tera I will end up having to make something like http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/redzero700/untitled-13.jpg~original.  People are paranoid and let a few bad apples tarnish the name of a tool. 

I don't see anything wrong with this, but that's me. I don't mind putting together the theory as a puzzle and see how I can pull it off in practice.

That being said I like having hard numbers. If I can show why I don't want to drag someone through a dungeon and being able to give tips on how to improve, I'm all for it. That's better than any "I felt like you DPS was lacking, bb".

3 minutes ago, Erufuun said:

T that being said I like having hard numbers. If I can show why I don't want to drag someone through a dungeon and being able to give tips on how to improve, I'm all for it. That's better than any "I felt like you DPS was lacking, bb".

In my experience, that is the norm. In the absence of DPS meters people will kick based on something dumb rather than fact. Does this game have a kick function anyway?

Everyone's play style is not the same so you can't go by the DPS people does. Player 1 could be more of a crowd control type person which could help the party survive. While player 2 could be more of a dps nut and wants the big numbers.

Even if player 1 damage is lower then player 2 don't mean he don't bring anything to the table. I'm just saying having a DPS meter will bring trouble and has in many games I played that allowed it. Cause you will all ways get someone who will comment on a person's low damage numbers.  When they know nothing about the person's play style.

What you should be asking them for is better handling of the gold spammers. Every time I log in for the first time I got to do is block 20+ gold spammers. Whats more important a dps meter or better handling of the gold spammers.

Life is a game of numbers, the people who are worried about a dps meter are the ones who know they aren't good themselves and don't care to improve. Sorry, but the argument that staying alive is more important is completely null and void because if you don't stay alive you won't do good dps regardless.

45 minutes ago, Erufuun said:

I fully agree with you TheBlazz about not every class doing the same damage. Anyone else should easily understand this. That doesnt change the fact that a measurement tool can be used to improve. Even as a blademaster while tanking, I if i can improve my DPS without sacrificing my survivability  it will be an improvement for the team.

similar to how a player can easily choose not to group with elitist, ive made a chat tab that does not see the gold spammers. Having the tools to better improve myself would add more entertainment to my gameplay than watching people talk about random things in global channels.

29 minutes ago, TheBlazz said:

Everyone's play style is not the same so you can't go by the DPS people does. Player 1 could be more of a crowd control type person which could help the party survive. While player 2 could be more of a dps nut and wants the big numbers.

Even if player 1 damage is lower then player 2 don't mean he don't bring anything to the table. I'm just saying having a DPS meter will bring trouble and has in many games I played that allowed it. Cause you will all ways get someone who will comment on a person's low damage numbers.  When they know nothing about the person's play style.

Why do people act like people would forget every single aspect of the game if there were DPS meters? Nobody is going to blame someone for bad DPS if their CC was top-notch. That's not how this works. DPS is an aspect of the game - luckily one that can be put in hard numbers, even if those numbers need to take into account how they happened.

If your CC is great, it's evident very easily. DPS isn't.

If your tanking is great, it's pretty evident. You DPS while tanking is not known however, and can only be guessed by how well you retain aggro over known DPS monsters.

Thing is: To do good DPS, you need to be a good player. A good player knows how to do all of this. They will absolutely CC if necessary. They will absolutely ensure that the party does not wipe at all costs because a wipe would make he whole ordeal meaningless.

Regardless of this - without a DPS meter you basically cannot assess your rotation or any changes to it well enough. And how well your rotation is... is absolutely independent of your survival skills. If I can pull a proper duration while surviving, I'm doing more damage than someone who is simply trying to survive.

To maximize your DPS, you need to guarantee you're alive above all else.

As a lvl 34 KFM I can pull 2000 damage hits and have no problems doing it. Just cause I don't want a DPS meter don't make me think I'm not good. Besides did I say anything about staying alive is more important nope. 

All I said is a player could be more of a crowd control type of a person. Where they limit the monsters ability to do harm to the other party members. They could be right in the thick of things doing there crowd control stuff and do low damage. Just cause do low damage don't mean they don't bring anything to the table.

Cause in other games I played that had dps meter. There is all ways someone who will comment on a person low damage. Good sample is StarTrek Online when fighting the crystalline entity.

What does a single target hit mean?

Rotation is how you chain your skills, getting the most efficient combination out of your CDs and your big damage numbers. A single 2000 Hit - doesn't mean anything. What does doing 2000-Hits say about your skill? Absolutey nothing. Anybody can press a button and the game will calculate the damage done, after all.

Yes, a player could excel at crowd control and he will be fine. I absolutely have no qualms about taking a player to my dungeon runs who will make things go smooth.

But I need them to not go overboard. Sometimes, no CC is necessary and I'd rather have them DPS.

Even better: I'll fill my group up with high DPS players who instinctively know how and when to CC because that's part of the deal of being a good player.

14 minutes ago, Erufuun said:

What does a single target hit mean?

Rotation is how you chain your skills, getting the most efficient combination out of your CDs and your big damage numbers. A single 2000 Hit - doesn't mean anything. What does doing 2000-Hits say about your skill? Absolutey nothing. Anybody can press a button and the game will calculate the damage done, after all.

Yes, a player could excel at crowd control and he will be fine. I absolutely have no qualms about taking a player to my dungeon runs who will make things go smooth.

But I need them to not go overboard. Sometimes, no CC is necessary and I'd rather have them DPS.

Even better: I'll fill my group up with high DPS players who instinctively know how and when to CC because that's part of the deal of being a good player.

Did I say single hit any here in my post ? Your jumping to a conclusion. Just like what will happen if they allow the dps meter. Cause someone will all ways jump to the conclusion and make a comment on a persons damage.

You are right the person could be very good and know their stuff. But you will all ways get someone who will make a comment on something they know nothing about. Cause all they will see is a low dps number. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. That's the main reason I hope they don't allow it.

2 minutes ago, TheBlazz said:

Did I say single hit any here in my post ? Your jumping to a conclusion. Just like what will happen if they allow the dps meter. Cause someone will all ways jump to the conclusion and make a comment on a persons damage.

You are right the person could be very good and know their stuff. But you will all ways get someone who will make a comment on something they know nothing about. Cause all they will see is a low dps number. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. That's the main reason I hope they don't allow it.

"As a lvl 34 KFM I can pull 2000 damage hits and have no problems doing it."

That kinda... sounds like a single hit.

1 minute ago, Erufuun said:

"As a lvl 34 KFM I can pull 2000 damage hits and have no problems doing it."

That kinda... sounds like a single hit.

KFM can hit multiple monsters at once if all the monsters are right in front of them. They got skills that can hit more then one monster at a time.

1 minute ago, TheBlazz said:

KFM can hit multiple monsters at once if all the monsters are right in front of them. They got skills that can hit more then one monster at a time.

I still don not know how this translates to DPS.

DPS is all about how much damage you do in any timeframe, measuring the efficiency of your consecutive hits. This isn't about single AoE skills. :S

If i made a build capible of pressing 1 button, using all of my focus, doing 100,000 damage, then every other hit would be 0 for the next minute
then made another build that could do 2000 every second, which would be better?

That is what Erufuun is talking about. how much damage you do on one hit is kind of irreverent, DPS is damage per second.

7 minutes ago, Erufuun said:

I still don not know how this translates to DPS.

DPS is all about how much damage you do in any timeframe, measuring the efficiency of your consecutive hits. This isn't about single AoE skills. :S

I think Blaz is referring to "effective DPS" :) CMIIW though.

Say if you have a skill that can do 500 damage/sec but it hits 3 different enemies at the same time, then your "effective DPS" is 1500 damage/sec.

DPS is easily associated to burst damage taken at a short time frame.

IMHO, DPS figures bear less weight for me compared to "total damage" figures dished for the whole run.

Because "total damage" includes effective DPS as well.

Dear player(aka WoW player?), please stop.  As a WoW player since BC-WOD, I am done with WoW... I'm done with dps meters, mouse button remapping, curse addons, etc., these are all WoW BS that I do not want or need in this game.  This is a different game, learn to play this game for what it is, everyone have the SAME set of tools, the ones who learn to use it will have the advantage.  Dont ruin it with WoW bs.. Come on, a dps meter really?   that has got to be the most egotistical/narcissistic element to any part of WoW, or any game for that matter.  It serves NO purpose, except maybe to feed an individual's ego.  Please explain in good sense, why a dps meter is necessary?  because, with my eyes I can tell how long it takes for a boss go down, therefore I know to adjust to play defensive to last a long fight or decide to unload DPS cd from having a strong group.  I dont need a meter to single anyone out or tell me how much damage we are doing.  Its really unproductive, because the fun is figuring how to beat a fight in multiple different strategies, not just constantly dumping DPS cd.  So please, consider learning to play this game as it is.  

Archived