PVP Optional? That's a laugh. (Other MISC Problems within)

Embakaments

Let's face it.

If you want to be ready for any kind of end game content, you have to PVP.

Soulstones for crafting those moonwater transformation stones? PVP.

Better soulshields? PVP.

Ogre Keys for Dragon Chest? PVP.

The Dragon Chest itself? PVP.

Now you could argue there are better things that come from PVE content, but honestly I don't know. What I know is if you really want to do well, you need that extra 'umph' in your arsenal.

From PVP rewards.

But it's a moot point that leads to a bigger stack of smaller problems that add up to one big problem.  The Faction Battlegrounds.

A good idea? Yes, it's nice to have spots like these to just let players go all out. People can get really excited when they're just doing daily quest mobs, and suddenly here comes an assassin. I like that experience, that's /exciting/.

But we don't get that. Not on Mushin.

I'm doing daily quest mobs, hanging in absolute /fear/ on my side of the battle field, trying not to get spotted. Then, I see one red name that isn't an NPC rush me. I mistake the glob of red text behind him as other enemy NPCs. But no.

That garbled red text with premium icons are all players of the same faction mobbing one person.

On Mushin, the Cerulean Order is currently in complete control of the server and it's channels. Every channel my clan members have been to, the red base is being camped and farmed -- some people even being yanked off the spawn platform to fall into what is literally a tank of hunger-ridden sharks, sacrificed to a feeding frenzy. The game even has the nerve to tell me the faction standings are 'even'.

'So just switch sides' 'come back another time' 'move to a different server' 'organize your faction to attack'

I'd love to switch sides, and oh I'm going to try. 'Can't beat em, join em' seems to really be the issue here. The problem is on a more personal level in this regard, though, so I won't go into full detail.

Come back another time is hard. I work a full-time job, and try to get on BNS when I can. But my time on also aligns with everyone else.

Is moving to a different server even possible? Hopefully it can be. I'd rather play on a ghost town server at this rate.

AFAIK, Faction chat has been /abandoned/ due to a huge influx of gold sellers. With my block list already full, and unblocking old contacts to add new ones not actually working, there's absolutely no communication between faction members.

Players ruining OWPvP always makes me sad, but at this point I expect nothing less.  However, that leads me to my main point:

This game isn't really about OWPvP.  It's just PvE with potential player involvement.  If players become involved, whichever side starts to lose a little bit will suddenly lose any farming bandwagoners, then they'll lose a lot, then the other side will steamroll into farmtown.

I don't know what they want OWPvP to look like, but what is happening is the face of reward-driven PvE-event OWPvP.  Most of the time we search for an empty channel, spam Faction to tell everyone to fill it up, then hope to make progress on Blackwyrm/insignia farming before the party stops from the blue train.

So saying PvP is required is semi-false, because it's hardly PvP.

If they want to balance out factions, they'll either need to limit channel population by faction (so for example, 50 of each faction as a limit instead of 100 as a limit, so you can always fill your side up if necessary) or fix it so alts who are created to join the opposing faction only to make it look even don't count towards whatever claims the two are "even".  I'm not sure it's a priority though.

Perhaps the Misty Woods PvP area should be a cross-server instanced battleground instead of an OWPvP zone .. simply because the rewards are too necessary/great. (the comparison to make here is WoW alterac valley)  This way they could balance the battleground to ~15 players from each faction. 

It's simply not possible to have OWPvP without the zerg of greater numbers always winning. The same thing happens in EVE Online.

On 1/28/2016 at 0:11 AM, Embakaments said:

Soulstones for crafting those moonwater transformation stones? PVP.

Better soulshields? PVP.

Ogre Keys for Dragon Chest? PVP.

The Dragon Chest itself? PVP.

None of this is mandatory, and all you listed was PvP oriented applications. Let us take a look at the flip side:

Money making? PvE.

Upgrades for ALL your gear? PvE.

Profane? PvE.

Crafting? PvE.

Crit Bopae to be sacked into your PvP Bopae? PvE.

Best PvE Bopae? Guess what: PvE.

You PvP, you get PvP rewards, with a small chance of maybe getting a good gem from Blackwyrm daily. 

But if you want to advance any further in the game, you PvE.

People farm the PvP Bopae because they don't know any better.

Hi guys. Veteran Aion player here.

OWPvP and more importantly faction PvP, has never been about total balance. 

The thing about balance in OWPvP/FPvP is it takes player involvement to make it happen. In Aion, for example, there is almost always one dominant faction over the other. However, in servers where it is balanced it is because people put real work and time into fighting back. Sad to say, but you already hit the nail on the head.

Organize, fight back. It's the only thing you can do. Being on the losing end sucks and makes it harder to stand up but that's just the way it is. You have no one to blame but your own faction and lack of organization/skill/leadership.

19 hours ago, Glint said:

Hi guys. Veteran Aion player here.

OWPvP and more importantly faction PvP, has never been about total balance. 

The thing about balance in OWPvP/FPvP is it takes player involvement to make it happen. In Aion, for example, there is almost always one dominant faction over the other. However, in servers where it is balanced it is because people put real work and time into fighting back. Sad to say, but you already hit the nail on the head.

Organize, fight back. It's the only thing you can do. Being on the losing end sucks and makes it harder to stand up but that's just the way it is. You have no one to blame but your own faction and lack of organization/skill/leadership.

I've been the governor of elyos in a server on Aion, I've spent a lot of days gathering people for alliances and getting people to fight in wars on Aion, for a long time we were the dominant force because we put a lot of effort in it. As soon as the other side started putting effort into it, they could fight back and in the end it was actually quite balanced on the server, we were slightly ahead most of the time because of effort but it was okay.

Main problem is that people in Aion weren't able to just make alts in another faction, accounts were faction bound, and you couldn't even communicate with the other faction without using some weird translator. It's that there you were way more committed to your faction than on Blade&Soul

Edit: The rewards of PvP'ing in groups in Aion were greater, being able to take over certain area and turn them into your own ground, medals, more dungeons, etc.

It seems to me that the OP is using "faction-related questing" and "owpvp" interchangeably.

I mean, I can think of only one owpvp daily in the whole game, and that is the one where you need to kill 10 players of the opposing faction.

Not trying to be argumentative, I honestly don't understand what the issue is.

Is it that you don't want to PvP? I'd hope not as this is a heavily pvp orientated game. Which is why some of the end game stuff involves PvP, it'd be silly to go to a PvP game and not like it.

Or is it because you're on the losing faction? If that's the case most of the time one faction is going to be the "loser" so to speak. Getting ganked is going to happen, losing faction or not. Dying in a game isn't all that bad, not sure why people act like it's the end of the world. For your faction dailies, if you have a clan (I didn't anything about your guild status, sorry if I missed it) get a party, strength in numbers. A lot of players in this game right now are really bad, so even if it's just 6 of you guys, you should be able to take a bit out depending on your skill level. 

I don't think people should gripe about having to pvp in a pvp game, just seems weird. And this is coming from someone in a faction that doesn't do anything but stare at TnA all day. I mean the Crimson legion destroys us in everything, very few Cerulean actually PvPs outside arenas.

agreed, this whole deal of only getting soulstones from pvp is complete F'n BS.

and no, getting 2 per day from  ToE doesnt count, only 25 days for soulstones for one equipment upgrade ?  riiiiight.

why not just remove pvp costumes completely and have a real open world pvp since it's forced anyway.

the whole deal isnt really about the winning or losing teams or getting killed or whatever, i couldn't care less about dying, what i do care however, is every *cricket*ing day going to the same goddam nquest area, and spending half a hour trying to do one quest to get 2 soulstones because you cant get them anywhere else, and i totally have zero interest on forced pvp like that.

the worst thing about the forced pvp quests is really the fact that people in the game are 100% douchebags, they kill you and then they kill you again, and you never get the quest done. Fine, go to another channel ? same shit, different douchebags.

if i want to pvp, i put on the costume and do so, but this BS is just frustrating timewaster.

10 hours ago, Lup said:

Not trying to be argumentative, I honestly don't understand what the issue is.

Is it that you don't want to PvP? I'd hope not as this is a heavily pvp orientated game. Which is why some of the end game stuff involves PvP, it'd be silly to go to a PvP game and not like it.

Or is it because you're on the losing faction? If that's the case most of the time one faction is going to be the "loser" so to speak. Getting ganked is going to happen, losing faction or not. Dying in a game isn't all that bad, not sure why people act like it's the end of the world. For your faction dailies, if you have a clan (I didn't anything about your guild status, sorry if I missed it) get a party, strength in numbers. A lot of players in this game right now are really bad, so even if it's just 6 of you guys, you should be able to take a bit out depending on your skill level. 

I don't think people should gripe about having to pvp in a pvp game, just seems weird. And this is coming from someone in a faction that doesn't do anything but stare at TnA all day. I mean the Crimson legion destroys us in everything, very few Cerulean actually PvPs outside arenas.

I would disagree that this is a heavily based PVP game.  Through the current storyline, there is zero forced PVP.  If this was a heavily based PVP game, I would have to PVP for the story, which I do not.

Nothing up to 45 requires anyone to do anything PVP.  I don't have to open myself up to PVP to feed my gear or to craft until max level.  The red dailies themselves are PVE, you just simply have to wear your outfit to allow yourself to be PK'd.  If I didn't wanted to gather the soulstones myself, I could easily just buy them off the broker by grinding PVE, same with the transformation stones.  This all points to this being a heavy PVE game, not PVP.  

Game devs don't create PVP games, because they will not make any money.  Devs create PVE games with PVP included to draw that player base.

No one is sticking a gun to your head to do PvP, the PvP dailies are still pretty much PvE because all you're doing is killing mobs and gathering whatever quest items it makes you grab. The only difference is people are attacking you, the only PvP daily that actually is PvP are the arena dailies and that one daily from your faction that has you kill 10 people of a certain rank. 

Also talk to your clan and organize some PvP with your clan if no one is in faction. If you clan is so laid back and mega casual to where all clan chat is is just another chat channel....might want to reconsider what you want to achieve and align yourself with a clan that best fits your needs. 

On 1/31/2016 at 9:17 AM, Masqava said:

I've been the governor of elyos in a server on Aion, I've spent a lot of days gathering people for alliances and getting people to fight in wars on Aion, for a long time we were the dominant force because we put a lot of effort in it. As soon as the other side started putting effort into it, they could fight back and in the end it was actually quite balanced on the server, we were slightly ahead most of the time because of effort but it was okay.

Main problem is that people in Aion weren't able to just make alts in another faction, accounts were faction bound, and you couldn't even communicate with the other faction without using some weird translator. It's that there you were way more committed to your faction than on Blade&Soul

Edit: The rewards of PvP'ing in groups in Aion were greater, being able to take over certain area and turn them into your own ground, medals, more dungeons, etc.

Oh, excellent someone who knows what I'm talking about, and a Gov to boot. Which server were you Gov of?

I mained Asmodian on both Siel and Israphel; at one point I lead Israphel Asmodians a few years back. ~Aftershock

Regardless, I agree. A large problem is in fact the inability to change factions in Aion. That's something that would have corrected balance a long time ago. 

Archived