Possible Fishing System, what could it look like?

Neoyoshi

So I'm coming back to Blade & Soul, and it took NCsoft baiting me with the possibility of an actual Fishing System to lure me in.

"lured" get it? haha... hah.... ha..

Gosh I'm dumb.

I was checking my e-mail and this little beauty from MMORPG.com popped up.

https://www.mmorpg.com/blade-and-soul/news/new-greatsword-wielding-tank-character-class-coming-in-2018-1000048477

Fishing!  I could be overselling the fact that it could turn out to be something less-significant in reality then it is my mind right now, but i've really wanted to see a full-blown fishing system in Blade & Soul since... forever.  and believe it or not, it's one of the few features the game has lacked this whole time that's kept me from playing.

k1qNyaf.jpg

Take the best MMOrpg fishing system you can think of (Rift and ESO come to mind)  and then picture it in Blade & Soul...  there is potential there.

Now yes, i know it's probably the most underrated, disliked, and glossed over feature a MMO can have, but i don't care.

Because it's Fishing!

v2d1Vxv.gif

Maybe it will work similar to Lineage 2, which is also developed by NCSoft.

Basically, you equip a fishing pole, has some fish baits and learn some fishing skills (reeling, releasing and stuffs), find a body of water (lava is fine too, lol), and cast your line. Upon catching a fish, you will need to press proper skills depend on situations. The fish has its own HP bar, and correct button presses will reduce its HP. It also has a timer, so you need to "kill" it as fast as possible. The better fishing pole and your fishing skill levels are, the better successful chance you get a fish.

The reward of a successful attempt is, obviously, a fish. But not all of the time, sometimes, it is some trash (weeds), or even a hostile mob which you need to kill. Fish can be used to trade for cosmetic things.

For me, I am more focused on what it will bring into the game instead of the mechanics/how it actually will work.

Will we simply get..fish as loot mixed in with trash loot? Or maybe chests that has a chance of dropping materials? If we do just get fish as loot, will it be a new consumable food/buff? Or used as ingredients for something else? Or will it be like the fishing in Windrest.

Either way, I pray they don't make it so that an influx of bots will appear, make it so boring that the majority of player will lose interest in it after a few weeks or make it so OP that we have to "hide other characters", either way, somewhat excited and somewhat fearful.

I think of Monster Hunter (specifically the one on PSP) where you could get weapons forged with fish. I recall this one greatsword that was just one big frozen tuna, Lol.
I would really like to see more laid back sim elements in this game too, like housing, furniture etc. Recently I've thought about starting Mabinogi as a secondary MMO to Blade and Soul. Online social sims have always been cool to me and it's a nice break from the ridiculously difficult stuff.

Archived